Aladdin (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
D82
Signature Collection

Re: Aladdin (Live-Action)

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:Information on the music from the press kit and 'The Art of' book.
Thank you so much for sharing all that info! I'm curious about the new take on "Arabian Nights"; it sounds like it's going to be quite different from the original song. It's also interesting that "One Jump Ahead" will now be sung when Aladdin and Jasmine are escaping from the guards. I wonder how that will affect the song. Will Jasmine sing in it too?
Sotiris wrote:There isn't a single mention of the second new song which probably means it was cut from the film. :( I'm still holding on to a tiny bit of hope that it'll be featured on the soundtrack but chances are looking slim.
Mena Massoud didn't mention it either in the last interview with him you shared, when he was asked for the new songs. If it has been cut, I hope at least its demo is included in the soundtrack if they make a deluxe edition.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I'm looking forward to what there is new to "Arabian Nights"! It's an easily mold-able song. So will "Speechless" have a reprise? They talk about it being timid in the beginning of the film and she sings again after Jafar has taken over? I wonder if "Waiting in the Wings" for the Tangled: Series might have been Menken testing for this song based on the description. Interested that OJA will be after Aladdin meets Jasmine. That's probably a good decision; plus, it adds more to their time together at the beginning of the film.

I liked reading Pasek & Paul's respect for Menken and Ashman both.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Some new footage in these new promos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMwnJHLrexw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIfDCyzNd_g

JeanGreyForever wrote:
“The song parallels her arc in the story, sung timidly by Jasmine early on and then as a big empowering moment later in the film. Jafar has seized power as her father stands by helpless, and she finally has the strength to tell him what she envisions for her future.”
This part caught my eye because it sounds like she'll sing the song early on in the film and then a more epic breakout version towards the end. Maybe the "second song" is a reprise then.
That also caught my attention. Is the snippet we got from the reprise then?
Disney's Divinity wrote:I liked reading Pasek & Paul's respect for Menken and Ashman both.
I liked that too. And also that, unlike producer Dan Lin, they praised the original Jasmine.
Sotiris wrote:Dolby Cinema poster. I'm not fond of this one either. They chose a weird, unflattering pose and Mena's face looks off.
I don't dislike it, but it's true that Aladdin's pose is a bit strange. They've chosen some unusual images for the last two posters.
lord-of-sith wrote:Isn't Alan Tudyk voicing Iago? Wouldn't that imply he speaks?
He does speak, just not his own words. He repeats what other people say, like real parrots do.
nomad2010 wrote:For as much hype as they’re trying to give Jasmine’s song, you’d sure think they’d have made an announcement on the soundtrack by now and have pre-orders up :roll:
I hope the release date hasn't been delayed.
ChrisLyne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ChrisLyne »

Given One Jump is now when Aladdin meets Jasmine I'd love for Proud of Your Boy to be his intro song, but since it seems like we're not even getting the new duet I have no confidence that we'll get it.

The Art of book does mention songs rather than song in a couple of instances when talking about new music, but the songs section makes no mention of any new song other than Speechless. It also doesn't mention One Jump or Prince Ali Reprises but I'm still optimistic for them.

At this point I wish they'd just announce the soundtrack details so could know for sure.

The movie does look amazing though. The Art of book is gorgeous.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

JeanGreyForever wrote:This part caught my eye because it sounds like she'll sing the song early on in the film and then a more epic breakout version towards the end. Maybe the "second song" is a reprise then.
I think the first time the song is heard, it will be short as a reprise and the second time, it will be full-length. The second song was supposed to be a lullaby duet between Jasmine and Aladdin that was to be heard during the beginning of the film.
D82 wrote:It's also interesting that "One Jump Ahead" will now be sung when Aladdin and Jasmine are escaping from the guards. I wonder how that will affect the song. Will Jasmine sing in it too?
I doubt it. We would have heard something by now if Jasmine participated in the song.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ChrisLyne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ChrisLyne »

I'm guessing they split up to escape, and Aladdin sings One Jump as he leads the guards away.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:If it has been cut, I hope at least its demo is included in the soundtrack if they make a deluxe edition.
Not just the demo but the studio recording of it as well. The song was cut late in the game so it must have been recorded by that point.
ChrisLyne wrote:It also doesn't mention One Jump or Prince Ali Reprises but I'm still optimistic for them.
I didn't even think the reprises might not be included. There's little chance Jafar's reprise made it in because the character here is more serious and less theatrical but I sincerely hope the One Jump Ahead reprise did. That reprise is so beautiful and so important to Aladdin's character.
ChrisLyne wrote:I'm guessing they split up to escape, and Aladdin sings One Jump as he leads the guards away.
That's a good theory. It makes sense.
Disney's Divinity

D82 wrote: He does speak, just not his own words. He repeats what other people say, like real parrots do.
That's what I expected from the interviews.
I hope the release date hasn't been delayed.
I assume you're only referring to the soundtrack release? I doubt the film will be delayed.

It won't be much consequence for me because I'll probably wait a while for a price drop before purchasing it. I seriously doubt "One Jump Ahead (reprise)" would be removed; I'm looking forward to this film's version of that song.
ChrisLyne wrote:I'm guessing they split up to escape, and Aladdin sings One Jump as he leads the guards away.
That would be cute. But how would the guards find out Jasmine was the woman he's with? And Jafar wouldn't have any reason to tell her that Aladdin's dead.
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
That would be cute. But how would the guards find out Jasmine was the woman he's with? And Jafar wouldn't have any reason to tell her that Aladdin's dead.
I’ve seen the sequence from the parks. If you want to know...

It takes place after Aladdin saves Jasmine from the market vendor, and the guards are after them. He has Abu take Jasmine one way, and he goes another to lead the guards off their tale. He sings it as he runs off, but eventually reconvenes with Jasmine. She does not sing in the song. The arrangement of the song is rather poppy with a great drum beat to it that’s clearly drums from the regions the movie is influenced by. It’s all really nicely done.
Disney's Divinity

nomad2010 wrote: I’ve seen the sequence from the parks. If you want to know...

It takes place after Aladdin saves Jasmine from the market vendor, and the guards are after them. He has Abu take Jasmine one way, and he goes another to lead the guards off their tale. He sings it as he runs off, but eventually reconvenes with Jasmine. She does not sing in the song. The arrangement of the song is rather poppy with a great drum beat to it that’s clearly drums from the regions the movie is influenced by. It’s all really nicely done.
Oh, okay, that makes sense. The more I think about it, the more I love that OJA happens after he and Jasmine have already met. Too bad Jasmine didn't sing a line or two though, or background vocals at one point or something.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

New TV spot featuring new footage. The 'big hat' gag was funny! :D
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Will the soundtrack be released this Friday? :)
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Sotiris wrote:
ChrisLyne wrote:It also doesn't mention One Jump or Prince Ali Reprises but I'm still optimistic for them.
I didn't even think the reprises might not be included. There's little chance Jafar's reprise made it in because the character here is more serious and less theatrical but I sincerely hope the One Jump Ahead reprise did. That reprise is so beautiful and so important to Aladdin's character.
Especially since Proud of Your Boy didn't make it into the film, I really hope they keep One Jump Ahead's reprise. I really doubt Jafar will sing at all in this film. Not just because of the new take on the character but because there's been nothing to suggest that the actor sings so far. A pity, because I wanted a full-fledged villain song for him. It's ironic that out of all the Disney Villains, he probably has the most songs but none of them end up in the actual movie.
Sotiris wrote: I think the first time the song is heard, it will be short as a reprise and the second time, it will be full-length. The second song was supposed to be a lullaby duet between Jasmine and Aladdin that was to be heard during the beginning of the film.
You're right because we were discussing how the song A Million Miles Away was a sort of precursor to this one. Frankly, I don't think the song is really necessary so I'm not upset that it's been cut, although I still want to hear it, either on the soundtrack or the Blu-ray. However, I wish they could have kept Proud of Your Boy for Aladdin or some song for Jafar in its stead.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

New interview with Alan Menken. He sings a bit of "Speechless" at this point of the video and explains how the song was created, but doesn't mention any other new song for the remake here either.
Disney's Divinity wrote:I assume you're only referring to the soundtrack release? I doubt the film will be delayed.
Yes, I was referring to the soundtrack release.
ChrisLyne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ChrisLyne »

Sicoe Vlad wrote:Will the soundtrack be released this Friday? :)
I hope so but it's looking unlikely at this point. We don't even have a track listing yet and the Amazon link is gone :(
JeanGreyForever wrote:Especially since Proud of Your Boy didn't make it into the film, I really hope they keep One Jump Ahead's reprise. I really doubt Jafar will sing at all in this film. Not just because of the new take on the character but because there's been nothing to suggest that the actor sings so far. A pity, because I wanted a full-fledged villain song for him. It's ironic that out of all the Disney Villains, he probably has the most songs but none of them end up in the actual movie.
I'm really hoping it's because they gave a page to each song and didn't feel the need to do that for the reprises. I'd like to say the only reason they'd cut One Jump Reprise is to add in Proud of Your Boy, but since we know OYA is now after Aladdin has met Jasmine I'm not sure if the reprise fits narratively anymore. Unless they do it earlier? I really hope they don't cut it.

Same for Prince Ali reprise. I know we've had no hint at it but we didn't have hints at all of B&TB's reprises before release either. Then again, we had a full track list by this point so we weren't analysing everything so much.

JeanGreyForever wrote:You're right because we were discussing how the song A Million Miles Away was a sort of precursor to this one. Frankly, I don't think the song is really necessary so I'm not upset that it's been cut, although I still want to hear it, either on the soundtrack or the Blu-ray. However, I wish they could have kept Proud of Your Boy for Aladdin or some song for Jafar in its stead.
I really want to hear what they came up with for that moment. I think keeping Prince Ali Reprise or POYB is more important, but no reason we couldn't have had both.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Here's the French version of "Speechless", sung by Hiba Tawaji at the Paris premiere.

She also performed "A Whole New World" with Michaël Lelong. According to the French Wikipedia page for the film, they are the voices of Aladdin and Jasmine in the French dubbing.
Last edited by D82 on Wed May 08, 2019 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

ChrisLyne wrote: I'm really hoping it's because they gave a page to each song and didn't feel the need to do that for the reprises. I'd like to say the only reason they'd cut One Jump Reprise is to add in Proud of Your Boy, but since we know OYA is now after Aladdin has met Jasmine I'm not sure if the reprise fits narratively anymore. Unless they do it earlier? I really hope they don't cut it.

Same for Prince Ali reprise. I know we've had no hint at it but we didn't have hints at all of B&TB's reprises before release either. Then again, we had a full track list by this point so we weren't analysing everything so much.
From what we know about Speechless, Jasmine sings a softer (likely shorter) version of it during the beginning of the film and then she breaks out into the full-fledged power anthem we've heard by the end. Perhaps One Jump Ahead has been done similarly. First Aladdin sings what we know as the reprise to himself in a melancholy moment and then afterwards, we see the hustle and bustle of the song in the marketplace. This way, it could still fit the narrative since the song is meant to showcase his longing for a better life.
ChrisLyne wrote: I really want to hear what they came up with for that moment. I think keeping Prince Ali Reprise or POYB is more important, but no reason we couldn't have had both.
My only other guess is that since One Jump Ahead takes place when they first meet, they felt that another song right after wouldn't fit. We'll have to see I guess.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Alan Menken confirms in this other recording from the same event that the second new song created for the movie, which was called "Desert Moon", was cut from it. He also reveals that the reprise of "One Jump Ahead" not only will be in the film, but there'll be a second reprise of the song (If I understood it correctly).
Last edited by D82 on Wed May 08, 2019 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disney's Divinity

D82 wrote:Alan Menken confirms in this other video that the second new song created for the movie, which was called "Desert Moon", was cut from it. He also reveals that the reprise of "One Jump Ahead" not only will be in the film, but there'll be a second reprise of the song (If I understood it correctly).
Oh, I love there’s going to be another OJA reprise—perhaps when Aladdin has been sent to “the ends of the earth”?

A shame about the original song being cut. “Desert Moon” is an intriguing title.