Aladdin (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
D82
Signature Collection

Re: Aladdin (Live-Action)

Post by D82 »

Finally, some news about the soundtrack. It will be released next week!
The soundtrack will be released next Friday, May 10 and is now available for pre-order on Amazon. The full album details are expected to be announced within the next few days.
Source: http://filmmusicreporter.com/2019/05/01 ... n-aladdin/
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Finally! I hope we get a cover soon plus a deluxe edition.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
ChrisLyne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ChrisLyne »

Finally! Now to just cross my fingers and keep wishing for Proud of Your Boy!
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

IMAX poster. Good concept, poor execution. The composition is too haphazard for my taste but I love Jasmine's pose.

Source: https://twitter.com/IMAX/status/1123966147538358274
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
WarriorDreamer
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WarriorDreamer »

^^ I actually don't mind it. I agree it's a bit randomly placed, but it's a bit more creative.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The remake references the original with this fun little Easter egg.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzLOXJXlCdg
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

New TV spot: https://twitter.com/disneyaladdin/statu ... 2047030273

Sotiris wrote:IMAX poster. Good concept, poor execution. The composition is too haphazard for my taste but I love Jasmine's pose.
It's not bad, but I agree, it's a shame the execution isn't better because I really like the idea.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I like that little easter egg. The Genie must be illustrating to Aladdin how superior of a being he is to rank above even the Sultan.

I actually really the IMAX poster a lot. The colors are gorgeous!
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I like the IMAX poster though I would rather not the random colors and rather magic/smoke. I also love Jasmine's pose as Sotiris does!
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

New TV spot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E56_3cxGc2I
Sotiris wrote:New TV spot showcasing Friend Like Me. The CG-fied blue genie still looks off to me.
I thought he probably looked bad the first time they showed him because his animation wasn't finished yet, but I agree; he still looks bad. I don't understand why they couldn't have just painted Will Smith blue. That works fine in the Guardians of the Galaxy movies. At least they could've used his real face. I hope he's in his normal form most of the movie and we don't have to see him much in his blue form.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:Images and details from the book "The Art and Making of Aladdin".
Thanks for all the wonderful updates! Here's some of my thoughts reading through the book excerpts.

• I think it's a mistake having another couple in the film. The movie is already quite focused on romantic love and adding another budding romance is overkill and takes focus away from the principal one. Also, I don't find Dahlia and the Genie to be a good choice for a couple. It's hard to imagine them together. Maybe it's because Will Smith is much older than the actress playing Dahlia. If Dahlia had to be paired up, couldn't they have chosen Prince Anders as her love interest instead? He's a well-intentioned goofball in this version and there are plenty examples of royalty marrying commoners in history so pairing the two together wouldn't be an issue.

• I'm not too fond of Prince Anders' role, at least on paper. Making him just the silly, comic relief neuters him as an adversary. It would mean more Jasmine choosing Aladdin if her other suitor wasn't a joke.

• I like that they're using the original concept of the genie as the narrator/merchant (well, mariner in this case). I hope they'll use the deleted Arabian Nights reprise at the end to bookend the film.

• I also like Jafar's backstory. It parallels Aladdin's path functioning as a mirror image to him. It actually reminds me of the backstory used for Jafar in Once Upon a Time in Wonderland.

• Still not sold on the Harlem jazz and hip-hop reinvention of Friend Like Me and Prince Ali but I'll try to keep an open mind.

• It's odd that there's no throne room or throne in the palace.

• So, Iago will only imitate speech he hears and not talk on his own like in the original. I don't mind that. I guess they wanted to go with a more realistic approach for the animal characters.
D82 wrote:I don't understand why they couldn't have just painted Will Smith blue. That works fine in the Guardians of the Galaxy movies. At least they could've used his real face. I hope he's in his normal form most of the movie and we don't have to see him much in his blue form.
Exactly. Drax and Gamora look great painted on. The Genie would have looked more natural and this whole backlash would have been avoided if they did just that. They could have made him look big by manipulating the perspective and making use of camera angles. CG wasn't necessary for this character especially since he won't be constantly transforming into other things like he does in the original.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I see that Amazon no longer has the soundtrack available for pre-order. What happened?
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

They started the presale for tickets this past week here in Brazil, which leads me to believe they are expecting something huge, as presales aren't done as much unless we are talking about THE blockbuster. I don't even recall one for Beauty and the Beast.

Also, I hope they release the international soundtracks also on May 10. Our Jasmine is just superb and our original Genie is coming back to dub Will Smith, so fingers crossed
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

My thoughts on the information from the making of book.

I think the Arabian Nights stories had framing devices featuring fishermen and merchants sharing tales to audience members so I like the twist with the mariner. It's close enough to the peddler in the animated movie. The kids he is telling the story to are probably Dalia's then since they end up together. I wonder if they'll show her at the end with the kids.

Not surprised that the Sultan's character has been sobered up. They've done the same for all previous father figures (The King in Cinderella and Maurice in BATB).

I like how the Cave of Wonders isn't just CGI but also utilizes practical effects.

I wish Iago's role wasn't downplayed but I guess it would have been difficult to make him exactly like the animated film especially without Gilbert Gottfried.

I'm pleased with the fact that Arabian Nights will be twice the length of the original version. It sounds like it'll be spectacular on the big screen.

I'm glad it was noted that unlike a certain high-profile actress in one of the previous live-action remakes, Naomi Scott actually has a background in singing and dancing. And she was so talented that they gave her even more dancing material to work with.

Sounds like when Jasmine is taken prisoner, she'll be forced to marry Jafar so instead of a prisoner outfit, she'll have a wedding outfit. Her wedding dress won't be "a celebratory affair" according to the spoilers so I wonder what that means for the wedding dress we've seen in the stills and in the limited edition doll.
Sotiris wrote: • I'm not too fond of Prince Anders' role, at least on paper. Making him just the silly, comic relief neuters him as an adversary. It would mean more Jasmine choosing Aladdin if her other suitor wasn't a joke.
Prince Achmed was Jasmine's only other suitor in the animated film and he was a joke as well so I don't really have an issue with Prince Anders so far. Since Iago, the other main source of comic relief besides the Genie, won't really have the same role, it makes sense that they'd utilize another character.
Sotiris wrote: • I also like Jafar's backstory. It parallels Aladdin's path functioning as a mirror image to him. It actually reminds me of the backstory used for Jafar in Once Upon a Time in Wonderland.
I wonder if the Jafar backstory had any basis in the scrapped song "Why Me" where if I'm correct, Jafar also comes from nothing as a child. It's interesting how this parallels Aladdin's own background, suggesting that if circumstances had been different, or Aladdin's moral compass hadn't been so strong, he could have ended up like Jafar. Maybe this is also why they made Jafar younger in age so he could be more directly compared to Aladdin.
Sotiris wrote:• It's odd that there's no throne room or throne in the palace.
This confuses me as well. I loved the elephant throne design in the original film and I can't imagine Jafar would be content to rule without a throne.
ImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

rodrigo_ca wrote:They started the presale for tickets this past week here in Brazil, which leads me to believe they are expecting something huge, as presales aren't done as much unless we are talking about THE blockbuster. I don't even recall one for Beauty and the Beast.

Also, I hope they release the international soundtracks also on May 10. Our Jasmine is just superb and our original Genie is coming back to dub Will Smith, so fingers crossed
I'm glad to hear that there's a lot of fanfare for this film in Brazil. With BATB, I had a lot of expectations, many which didn't pan out in the end. With Aladdin, every bit of new information is making me love the film more so I'm even more psyched for this. I hope it does really well at the box office, especially since the animated film was an all-time blockbuster.
ImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

JeanGreyForever wrote:Sounds like when Jasmine is taken prisoner, she'll be forced to marry Jafar so instead of a prisoner outfit, she'll have a wedding outfit. Her wedding dress won't be "a celebratory affair" according to the spoilers so I wonder what that means for the wedding dress we've seen in the stills and in the limited edition doll.
Could she be wearing the same wedding dress again at the end? She must be shown marrying Aladdin otherwise his wedding outfit (as seen on the doll) doesn't make sense.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:Exactly. Drax and Gamora look great painted on. The Genie would have looked more natural and this whole backlash would have been avoided if they did just that. They could have made him look big by manipulating the perspective and making use of camera angles. CG wasn't necessary for this character especially since he won't be constantly transforming into other things like he does in the original.
That's true. I guess another reason why they decided to make him in CG is to make him more muscular. That's why I said that at least they could've used his real face and combined it with a CG body. It would've looked better in my opinion, because the thing that looks faker is the face. If they had known the Genie would receive all this backlash, they would've probably chosen one of these other options.
Sicoe Vlad wrote:I see that Amazon no longer has the soundtrack available for pre-order. What happened?
It's true! I wonder why.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

D82 wrote:Finally, some news about the soundtrack. It will be released next week!
The soundtrack will be released next Friday, May 10 and is now available for pre-order on Amazon. The full album details are expected to be announced within the next few days.
Source: http://filmmusicreporter.com/2019/05/01 ... n-aladdin/
Yay! I hope the price isn't out of reason for a long time the way the B&tB Deluxe was. I would like to pick it up with Maddie Poppe's new album.

Either way, I'm going to try not to listen to the performances until I see the film in theaters. I want that to be my first impression.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Sotiris wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:Sounds like when Jasmine is taken prisoner, she'll be forced to marry Jafar so instead of a prisoner outfit, she'll have a wedding outfit. Her wedding dress won't be "a celebratory affair" according to the spoilers so I wonder what that means for the wedding dress we've seen in the stills and in the limited edition doll.
Could she be wearing the same wedding dress again at the end? She must be shown marrying Aladdin otherwise his wedding outfit (as seen on the doll) doesn't make sense.
It's possible. For example in The Swan Princess, Odette's wedding dress is actually conjured up by Rothbart during various scenes, yet she ends up wearing that exact same dress for her actual wedding. It's also possible that one of her other eight outfits will be used as a "wedding dress" of sorts, but I'm not sure about that either because we've seen the scenes where she's wearing the rest of her wardrobe and none of them seem to segway into becoming Jafar's bride.
ImageImage