Aladdin (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Aladdin (Live-Action)

Post by Sotiris »

Dan Lin is at it again! :lol:
In serving up these new spins on much-loved films, the studio is trying to strike a delicate balance, delivering a warm and fuzzy nostalgia fix — amplified by familiar songs like “A Whole New World” and “Friend Like Me” from “Aladdin” and “The Circle of Life” and “Hakuna Matata” from “The Lion King” — while also offering audiences something unexpected.

“We really try to weigh, what is in the contract with the audience? What do they want to feel? What are specific moments that, if you are going to change or lose them, you do so at your own peril?” said Sean Bailey, Disney’s president of production. “Then you combine that with what gets us really creatively excited. When you can find those two things in concert, that’s wonderful.”

As the studio has discovered, however, even with the most seemingly timeless films, certain elements may not have aged so well in the intervening years. With attitudes shifting over time, depictions of gender roles and other cultures that were acceptable in decades past may now induce cringes or eye rolls. In the case of “Aladdin,” director Guy Ritchie’s new version tweaks the original film’s love story between Princess Jasmine (now played by Naomi Scott) and the street hustler Aladdin (Mena Massoud) to give it a female-empowerment spin fit for today’s era.

Jasmine’s main goal in the original movie is really to find a spouse, and in this movie there’s much more than that,” said “Aladdin” producer Dan Lin. “She really wants to help to rule Agrabah and take a much bigger leadership position.”
Source: https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/m ... story.html
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^I'm surprised he keeps saying that. Has he even watched the original film? And is there nobody from the team who can correct him?
JeanGreyForever wrote:I'm so glad people are appreciating Naomi because she's one of the reasons I'm especially hyped for this film and there was so much flack over her casting.
At first I didn't like they had cast someone who didn't have an accurate ethnicity, but now I'm happy they cast her. She actually looks the part, can sing really well, and, though I've never seen her in anything, from what I've seen of her in the trailers, she's the one whose acting looks most promising to me.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:She actually looks the part, can sing really well, and, though I've never seen her in anything, from what I've seen of her in the trailers, she's the one whose acting looks most promising to me.
Ditto. New sing-along TV spot showcasing A Whole New World. Naomi sounds great.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yes, I also agree D82, it is Jasmine I am most looking forward to in the remake.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

New info and stills.

Aladdin star Naomi Scott breaks down Princess Jasmine's revamped turquoise outfit and whole new wardrobe
https://ew.com/movies/2019/04/27/aladdi ... -wardrobe/

5 Reasons To Be Excited for Disney’s Live-Action Aladdin
https://news.disney.com/5-reasons-live-action-aladdin
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

RUNTIME: 2 hours 9 Minutes according to various ticketing websites.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Sotiris wrote:New info and stills.

Aladdin star Naomi Scott breaks down Princess Jasmine's revamped turquoise outfit and whole new wardrobe
https://ew.com/movies/2019/04/27/aladdi ... -wardrobe/
This was a great read. Thanks for posting! Wish they would have covered the rest of her outfits as well.
nomad2010 wrote:RUNTIME: 2 hours 9 Minutes according to various ticketing websites.
That puts this on part with BATB then.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
WarriorDreamer
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WarriorDreamer »

JeanGreyForever wrote:
WarriorDreamer wrote:A shame Jasmine's outfit isn't a bit more.... like the original hehe.
I wish it was more blue than green for sure and I wish her ponytail was more like in the animated movie, but I do like her new peacock veil a lot. She always had a simple outfit in the animated movie that was demanding to be embellished like how it is in the Parks and Broadway musical.

Yes, I don't mind the ponytail. I am warming up to her in the role. But I liked the harem pants of the original because it made Jasmine feel very independent despite the fact she was a princess, it seems she is in dresses by the looks of all the stills.

Still not sure about Jafar though, I guess a bit part of what made Jafar great was the voice of Johnathan Freeman and I guess it'd be hard for any actor to replicate or copy that.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

WarriorDreamer wrote: Yes, I don't mind the ponytail. I am warming up to her in the role. But I liked the harem pants of the original because it made Jasmine feel very independent despite the fact she was a princess, it seems she is in dresses by the looks of all the stills.

Still not sure about Jafar though, I guess a bit part of what made Jafar great was the voice of Johnathan Freeman and I guess it'd be hard for any actor to replicate or copy that.
While she does wear a few dresses in this film, two of the outfts with skirts actually have pants underneath (the pink dress and the wedding dress). Her pants are also visible underneath her peasant/marketplace disguise, moreso than in the animated film. In fact, in the article posted above about the costumes, Naomi Scott specifically mentions that it was important for her to wear pants even in these gowns.
But Jasmine is no ordinary princess, and even in formal regal robes, she still has her own way of doing things – the gown hides a pair of turquoise trousers under the skirt. “I was always very, very adamant that the more trousers, the better, as to me, that is Jasmine’s trademark,” Scott says.
I agree with you about Jafar and that seems to be the popular consensus from all the reactions I've seen online. People feel he's a weak actor and that the actor playing Hakim (Jafar's right hand man in this film) has more presence and would have been the better choice to play him.
ImageImage
WarriorDreamer
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WarriorDreamer »

JeanGreyForever wrote:
I agree with you about Jafar and that seems to be the popular consensus from all the reactions I've seen online. People feel he's a weak actor and that the actor playing Hakim (Jafar's right hand man in this film) has more presence and would have been the better choice to play him.
Ha, should have switched the roles over. That was my thought when I first heard the casting. Yes, I think it's his youth and lack of presence which seems underwhelming.

On another note, I wasn't sure why everyone was making such a fuss about no-one being able to replace Robin Williams as Genie. All of the actors were brilliant in their roles. It's difficult to see anyone replace Scott Weiner, Linda Larkin, Johnathan Freeman, etc, since they were all so perfect in their parts. It seems unfair to place so much pressure on whoever is playing Genie, in this case Will Smith.

I guess we will wait and see the different take they will have on the characters since after all it is a classic fairy tale and Disney didn't originate the story itself, which is why I don't mind a slightly different take/version with these live action movies.

So long as story and character come together, that's all you can hope for.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The voice actors for the Japanese dub of the film sing A Whole New World.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke7MZZGVCAQ
ChrisLyne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ChrisLyne »

Sotiris wrote:Dan Lin is at it again! :lol:
Jasmine’s main goal in the original movie is really to find a spouse, and in this movie there’s much more than that,” said “Aladdin” producer Dan Lin. “She really wants to help to rule Agrabah and take a much bigger leadership position.”
Source: https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/m ... story.html
If they can’t shut him up can they at least get him a new script?! I’m actually embarrassed for him at this point :lol:
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

It's bad enough we had to listen to this crap for the promotion of the latest films like Brave, Frozen, and Moana but to hear the remakes like Maleficent, BATB, and now Aladdin tout this drivel as well is just insufferable. As pointed out sometime earlier, there seems to be a correlation between the quality of the remakes and how reverent the filmmakers were of the original source material because Cinderella and The Jungle Book never looked down on the originals and they're considered the best so far.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yeah you're right JeanGreyForever.

I like Jasmine's tiara in the last still.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

New TV spot showcasing Friend Like Me. The CG-fied blue genie still looks off to me.
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

I saw an extended sneak peek of the film, including One Jump Ahead. It was cute! Not sure how people will react to the musical number though...
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:New TV spot and stills.
Thanks for sharing, Sotiris! Here are some of these stills in hi-res: https://www.comicbookmovie.com/disney/a ... le-a168032

Here are also a new interview with Mena Massoud and a snippet of "A Whole New World" from a Jasmine doll.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:Here are also a new interview with Mena Massoud and a snippet of "A Whole New World" from a Jasmine doll.
Thanks! I found another new interview with him. I love Naomi's singing voice. If she sounds that good coming from a doll, imagine how great she'll sound on the soundtrack! :wink:
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:I found another new interview with him.
Thanks, it was really interesting!
Sotiris wrote:I love Naomi's singing voice. If she sounds that good coming from a doll, imagine how great she'll sound on the soundtrack! :wink:
Yes, I can't wait to listen to the full songs.