Tangled: The Series

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Re: Tangled: The Series

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Boy howdy :lol: Where to begin?

First, congratulations on Tumblr for calling Flynn/Eugene as the Dark Prince. I don’t mind that twist. It’s not bad. It’s just a bit corny. Like what D82 said, I imagined Flynn to be in some poor family. This is a little surreal. “Hey this random orphan happens to be a prince. Like. Of course. What are the odds?”

I love how Flynn is a perfect mix of his parents. Ususally, it’s sons who look like dads and girls who look like moms like Rapunzel and Ariana. But I see so much of the mom and dad in Flynn. The mom’s skin and hair. The dad’s face and eyes….and dorkiness. Nose is 50/50. No wonder why they never got the nose right.

I hope this is actually Cassandra and not her possessed. Tumblr pointed out a lot of things like her leading Rapunzel to the rocks in the pilot, RAIEB lyrics, not trusting Adira. I think it would be way more interesting as a show twist. Her being possessed is too obvious.

But that being said, I strongly believe that she’s Mother Gothel’s daughter. I said this from day one: She looks exactly like her. Plus she’s an orphan like Flynn was. I honestly thought she was turning into Gothel. I believe Gothel will have a big part in this.

But I also think she’s Flynn’s twin. They are alike, personality wise, appearance wise, sarcasm wise. Plus Flynn called her a sister which is a red alert for foreshadowing.

I’m going to say: I was kinda right about Flynn being the traitor. I was at first disappointed (but screaming) at Cass’s betrayal because the buildup was too obvious, but the payoff saves it.

When we got into the last 2 minute mark and realized we had no backstory on the door and plenty of time for a plot twist, that’s when I realized: Oh gosh, traitor Cass is happening.

I actually thought Lance was the traitor at first when he saw the shadow sword during the fight with the ghosts. He looked a bit power hungry there That would have been a interesting twist because it would come out of nowhere. (”YOU’RE FINALLY ADOPTED!)

Also, does Shorty have a point to this show or……? He literally does nothing.

THEORIES:

-Cassandra was legit scared when Adira reveals that Rapunzel might die if she touches the stone. I think “MY destiny” means to save Rapunzel and the evilness is the stone possessing her.

-That demon god thing or Mother Gothel’s spirit is possessing her. That door must have been one screwed up realm.

-Cassandra is bitter about how Rapunzel treats her (Punzie does treat her like crap tbh) and is manipulated by that demon god thing or Mother Gothel’s spirit to get back at her

-Cassandra is just a giant villain with a great backstory.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Yeah, as soon as the reveal happened, I knew her resemblance with Gothel was more than just a coincidence. That's probably why they've found a way to cameo Gothel now and again over the first two seasons.

I wonder if all Gothel's "trips" away from Rapunzel throughout her life in the tower were because she had a second life. She seemed to rarely be there with Rapunzel, only coming around when she knew the magic keeping her alive needed to be renewed.

I'm sure Cass will be redeemed by the end wherever the plotline goes. I hope Varian shows up again in the final season, too.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
bradhig
Anniversary Edition

Post by bradhig »

Just end it already. There is no excuse to continue it but greed. Greed is a disease. :angry: :angry: :angry:
Disney's Divinity

It was always intended to be three seasons. It's not ending until next year.
WillytheDino
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WillytheDino »

I am amazed at how great this story has been worked out from the beginning to continue over the course of 3 seasons.
I really feel like season 1 was the beginning, season 2 was the middle and now season 3 will be a great ending to a great story (stretched out with some filler episodes, but even these filler episodes made for some great character development).

Something happened to Cas for sure when she was coming out of that door a couple of episodes back. I am still shocked by how great the animators capture emotion on the characters faces, you could see something was wrong with her from the last episodes and so on.

Is it an option that Cas is one of the 3 witches they showed in the flashback, meaning she would be a 'sister' to Gothel and not her daughter?
The other ones or Gothel and Mrs Sugarby but we don't know the identity of the third one... (or do we?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySKo9KHzOR
'All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.' - Walt Disney
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

WillytheDino wrote:Is it an option that Cas is one of the 3 witches they showed in the flashback, meaning she would be a 'sister' to Gothel and not her daughter?
The other ones or Gothel and Mrs Sugarby but we don't know the identity of the third one... (or do we?)
I watched this video the other day, and the person who made it says the third one is Matthews, the owner of the seashell house where Rapunzel and the others stayed during the storm.

I think Cassandra is most likely Gothel's daughter. The same youtuber I mentioned has this other video where he talks about it. I found it quite interesting and it made me realize it would make more sense she was her daughter than I previously thought.

By the way, what was the video you shared about? The link doesn't work for me, it says it's not available.
Disney's Divinity

The second season’s soundtrack is definitely weaker than the first, just like the second season was weaker overall. I still feel like Disney must’ve meddled and encouraged more filler for the kids who have no idea what’s going on with the TV show’s story. Hopefully they’ll let the final season be whatever the writers want and Menken gives us better songs. I’d love a duet between Cass and Rapunzel that’s similar to, say, “For Good” from Wicked.

BTW, I wish they’d included the reverse incantation to Rapunzel’s healing powers—the death spell or whatever it was called.
D82 wrote: I think Cassandra is most likely Gothel's daughter. The same youtuber I mentioned has this other video where he talks about it. I found it quite interesting and it made me realize it would make more sense she was her daughter than I previously thought.

By the way, what was the video you shared about? The link doesn't work for me, it says it's not available.
I'll try to watch the video you posted when I can. I don't know if it's mentioned there, but a thought occurred to me that if Gothel had been in a relationship with the captain of the guard, that would explain how easily she would've been able to kidnap Rapunzel. Cass' father could've been completely oblivious to Gothel's age. I could possibly see an alternative where he helped her kidnap Rapunzel if she broke down and told him the truth once the Queen/King took the flower because he didn't want her to die. *shrug* Who knows where they'll go with it.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:The second season’s soundtrack is definitely weaker than the first, just like the second season was weaker overall.
I agree that the songs from the first season were stronger in general. However, in my opinion the songs from this season are not bad either. The only one I don't like much is "Hook Foot's Ballad", but that's mainly because it's just too short. It doesn't seem a complete song. I was even doubting they would include it in the soundtrack.

Now that I've listened to all of the songs several times, I'm going to try to rank them:

1. "Next Stop Anywhere"
2. "Waiting in the Wings"
3. "If I Could Take This Moment Back"
4. "Livin' the Dream"
5. "The View from Up Here"
6. "Everything I Ever Thought I Knew"
7. "Buddy Song"
8. "With You by My Side"
9. "Hook Foot's Ballad"
Disney's Divinity wrote:BTW, I wish they’d included the reverse incantation to Rapunzel’s healing powers—the death spell or whatever it was called.
They should've included it, because though the music is not new, at least it has original lyrics.
Disney's Divinity wrote:I'll try to watch the video you posted when I can. I don't know if it's mentioned there, but a thought occurred to me that if Gothel had been in a relationship with the captain of the guard, that would explain how easily she would've been able to kidnap Rapunzel. Cass' father could've been completely oblivious to Gothel's age. I could possibly see an alternative where he helped her kidnap Rapunzel if she broke down and told him the truth once the Queen/King took the flower because he didn't want her to die. *shrug* Who knows where they'll go with it.
It isn't mentioned in the video who could be Cassandra's father. I personally doubt the captain of the guard is her real father. If he was, I don't think he would've told her she was adopted. But it's true that it could explain several things.

I can summarize the video for you. In the first half it mentions some similarities Cass and Gothel have apart from their physical resemblance, like a snarky sense of humor or their mutual dislike of Eugene. What I found more interesting though is the second part, where it talks about how the timeline lines up for them to be mother and daughter. The person who made the video says it's mentioned in an episode that Cass is four years older than Rapunzel, so it's likely Gothel had her before the flower was discovered by the guards, and then decided to give her away so that she could kidnap Rapunzel and raise her isolated in the tower in order to keep herself young. Cass also says in an episode she doesn't remember her biological parents, which means she was quite little when she was abandoned. Lastly, it also speculates that the guards could have found her when they were searching for the Princess and that's why she was adopted by the captain of the guard.
Disney's Divinity

Oh, I totally forgot Cass was adopted! :lol:

My ranking is:

1. "Waiting in the Wings"
2. "The View from Up Here"
3. "Next Stop Anywhere"
4. "With You by My Side"
5. "Buddy Song"
6. "Everything I Ever Thought I Knew"
7. "Livin' the Dream"
8. "If I Could Take This Moment Back"
9. "Hook Foot's Ballad"

"Set Yourself Free" is still my favorite song that's Tangled-related, even over the film's songs.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Oh, I totally forgot Cass was adopted! :lol:

OK, now I understand why you thought the captain could've been in a relationship with Gothel.

I see Cassandra's song has grown on you. I was doubting between it and "Next Stop Anywhere" for my top spot. I finally chose the latter because I like the lyrics more and the sense of freedom and adventure it conveys, but I like both more or less the same.

I love "Set Yourself Free" too. "Let Me Make You Proud", "Wind in My Hair" and "Set Yourself Free" are still my favorite songs from the series.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I can't wait for Season 3 of this ... but I also can wait, as when it's shown, that will probably the last we ever see of Tangled newly animated. :(

But can't complain though; Rapunzel I think has had the most character development of any Disney character, let alone in the Princess lineup. I'm rewatching season 1 at the moment, and it is a pure joy from start to finish.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

This show is very good when it focuses on the main storyline. I really hope the 3rd season is shorter so they can cut down on the filler eps, I find them really dull sometimes. I don't know how I feel about Cass, it seemed OOC for her to do something so extreme. I know she felt like she was useless but still. Whatever happened when she entered that door must have had some influence on her.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

People are saying that she is the daughter of Gothel ...... but I really don't see how that can be possible ?! As she is hundreds of years old, her womb / reproductive system must have given up by now ?! Interesting theory, but I just can't see it being really possible.

The 3rd series is just as long as the first two, with 22-ish episodes. I love some of the filler ones I must admit :lol: Silly though they are, but I do mightily enjoy them.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

I just dont care for when they focus on any of the thugs, or Lance, though at least Lance has a connection to Flynn's past. Also whenever they travel and meet a bunch of original characters that later have no significance to the main plot-line.

also this is really me just nitpicking here :P but this show really bugs me with its anachronism and terrible sense of zoogeography. Isn't it supposed to be set during the Renaissance in Europe? Ive seen characters wearing medieval and rococo styles. Where did Varian get a raccoon? those are only from North America. Where did the gypsy lady with the monkey get the llama? those are from South America. :milkbuds:
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Disney has released clips of all of the songs from season 2, except the reprise of "Next Stop Anywhere":

- "Next Stop Anywhere"
- "If I Could Take This Moment Back"
- "The View from Up Here"
- "Hook Foot's Ballad"
- "Buddy Song"
- "Waiting in the Wings"
- "Livin' the Dream"
- "With You By My Side"
- "Everything I Ever Thought I Knew"
Atlantica wrote:I love some of the filler ones I must admit :lol: Silly though they are, but I do mightily enjoy them.
I enjoy them too. I know it's more interesting to learn more about the main storyline, but many of the filler episodes also have interesting plots, and as WillytheDino pointed out, great character development. Some of them are even among my favorites from the series. Maybe the filler episodes from the first season were better, though. This season, the characters spent a lot of time in places like the island or the city of Vardaros, which gave the impression that the story wasn't progressing. Anyway, I think we are a bit spoiled nowadays. :lol: To be fair, the shows from the 90s were mostly comprised of individual episodes that weren't connected to each other, and we didn't have a problem with that.
unprincess wrote:also this is really me just nitpicking here :P but this show really bugs me with its anachronism and terrible sense of zoogeography. Isn't it supposed to be set during the Renaissance in Europe? Ive seen characters wearing medieval and rococo styles. Where did Varian get a raccoon? those are only from North America. Where did the gypsy lady with the monkey get the llama? those are from South America. :milkbuds:
I guess that given that it's a fantasy world, they can take some liberties. But, I would also prefer they would be more accurate to the time period and the place in which the series is set.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I read that the filmakers said this takes place in 18th century Germany. I think the 1740's, but not sure. It never made any sense of course because unprincess would be right that the clothes of the king, queen, Rapunzel and Eugene are from the Renaissance. Can someone tell me what time period the filmakers said it was?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

http://collider.com/byron-howard-nathan ... w-tangled/
The film is set in the 1780s.

I don't remember if it was ever outright confirmed as being set in Germany, but I do remember a post here from way back which did confirm a specific country as the setting. I didn't bother saving it at the time though because I never cared for this film anyway.

I don't watch the TV series but all the anachronistic stuff isn't really surprising to me since the original film suffered just as badly when it comes to that.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney's Divinity

D82 wrote: I see Cassandra's song has grown on you. I was doubting between it and "Next Stop Anywhere" for my top spot. I finally chose the latter because I like the lyrics more and the sense of freedom and adventure it conveys, but I like both more or less the same.
Yeah, repetition has positively altered my first impression. :P Some of the lyrics still leave a little to be desired...
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

1780's?! then the costuming in the film was waaay off! I wonder if it was the Glen Keane version that was supposed to be set in the Renaissance then? And they didn't bother to change the costume designs when the film got reworked?

as for the animals I was thinking that, whether it was set in the 1780s or Renaissance, they would have had merchant ships traveling to the New World by then and bringing all sorts of exotic animals back to Europe. So I guess the animals could have been obtained at markets/bazaars that sold all sorts of exotic items back in the day.
Last edited by unprincess on Sun May 05, 2019 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

The Glen Keane version was actually set even further on, during the 1820s-30s. There's concept art of the villagers and misc. characters. The characters, such as the King and Queen, and even Gothel, actually went through extreme costume changes after Glen Keane's treatment was scrapped. This was also the version where the film was set in France although the final film doesn't really have any French elements I think, so that doesn't explain the hodgepodge of cultural elements visible in Tangled's kingdom.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-v6L9Yzmjssg/T ... ign_05.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Ontr5PiyHZ0/T ... ign-12.jpg
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey