Disney Plus (Streaming Service)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
willard
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Disney Plus (Streaming Service)

Post by willard »

DisneyJedi wrote:https://screenrant.com/disney-plus-song ... scene-cut/

Okay, now I’m getting worried. :(
The article is merely reporting on what the initial report says. It is not independent.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Except it’s popping up on more places like comicbook.com
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I don't consider comicbook.com to be a reputable news website. The trades like The Hollywood Reporter, Deadline and Variety are more reliable, as they get their information directly from the studios and interview multiple sources.

I think there are too many clickbait news blogs and "scoopers" out there that seem to constantly report false information, just for easy clicks and to get a rise out of people. If something is fishy about the original source reporting the story, don't immediately believe it.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

estefan wrote:I don't consider comicbook.com to be a reputable news website. The trades like The Hollywood Reporter, Deadline and Variety are more reliable, as they get their information directly from the studios and interview multiple sources.

I think there are too many clickbait news blogs and "scoopers" out there that seem to constantly report false information, just for easy clicks and to get a rise out of people. If something is fishy about the original source reporting the story, don't immediately believe it.
Now The Hollywood Reporter is reporting it too:

'Song of the South,' 'Dumbo's' Jim Crow Scene Will Not Be on Disney+
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... ey-1203624
MrXemnas1992
Limited Issue

Post by MrXemnas1992 »

D82 wrote:
estefan wrote:I don't consider comicbook.com to be a reputable news website. The trades like The Hollywood Reporter, Deadline and Variety are more reliable, as they get their information directly from the studios and interview multiple sources.

Now The Hollywood Reporter is reporting it too:

'Song of the South,' 'Dumbo's' Jim Crow Scene Will Not Be on Disney+
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... ey-1203624
Considering how integral the crows were to helping Dumbo learning to fly and giving him the "magic feather", i wonder how they hell the intend to scrap a good few minutes or so of the movie without completely screwing up the flow of the movie.

I call bull on this. Disney's not inept enough to do something like this....i hope.
MrXemnas1992
Limited Issue

Post by MrXemnas1992 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:The "news" about Dumbo sounds similar to the same "news" about "Be Prepared" being cut from The Lion King re-make or the talk about "Kiss the Girl" possibly being cut from TLM remake. There's a thirst among fake news sites to stir people up into a hysteria over things that will never happen, to incite a fear of progress. I'll be very surprised if this has any truth to it.
whoa whoa whoa, be prepared IS going to be in the remake after all?
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

my guess, they'll make a family friendly SJW approved Disney version (ugh, just like they butchered the Melody Time and Male Mine music) for Disney+. If people complain they'll say that the uncut version of Dumbo is still available in physical media for them to buy.

Also I have a feeling that we will get the uncut versions of most of these films on physical media in special super pricey collector editions that will involve joining some club similar to DMC.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

MrXemnas1992 wrote: Considering how integral the crows were to helping Dumbo learning to fly and giving him the "magic feather", i wonder how they hell the intend to scrap a good few minutes or so of the movie without completely screwing up the flow of the movie.

I call bull on this. Disney's not inept enough to do something like this....i hope.
I don't even think Disney would have the resources to reanimate a scene in a movie as old as Dumbo. They don't even have the resources for hand-drawn animation using CAPS like in films like Enchanted and Mary Poppins Returns let alone something using ink and paint.
unprincess wrote: Also I have a feeling that we will get the uncut versions of most of these films on physical media in special super pricey collector editions that will involve joining some club similar to DMC.
I hope one day we can get actual collectors editions of all the Disney canon decked out with bonus features and other extra stuff (like disc art, premium packaging, inserts, etc.)
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
MrXemnas1992
Limited Issue

Post by MrXemnas1992 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:
MrXemnas1992 wrote: Considering how integral the crows were to helping Dumbo learning to fly and giving him the "magic feather", i wonder how they hell the intend to scrap a good few minutes or so of the movie without completely screwing up the flow of the movie.

I don't even think Disney would have the resources to reanimate a scene in a movie as old as Dumbo. They don't even have the resources for hand-drawn animation using CAPS like in films like Enchanted and Mary Poppins Returns let alone something using ink and paint.
unprincess wrote:
exactly. the easiest and cheaper option to appease both parties is just do what they did with some of the old cartoon shorts: have some celebrity psa [leonard martin again or more likely a prominent african-american celebrity] play before the movie to warn about the scene and talk about how it was a different time and so on and so forth.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

MrXemnas1992 wrote: exactly. the easiest and cheaper option to appease both parties is just do what they did with some of the old cartoon shorts: have some celebrity psa [leonard martin again or more likely a prominent african-american celebrity] play before the movie to warn about the scene and talk about how it was a different time and so on and so forth.
Whoopi Goldberg is a big fan of the crows in Dumbo and has defended not only this scene but also Song of the South. Although a Song of the South release looks highly unlikely in the forseeable future, Disney could easily utilize her for Dumbo.
ImageImage
MrXemnas1992
Limited Issue

Post by MrXemnas1992 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:
MrXemnas1992 wrote: exactly. the easiest and cheaper option to appease both parties is just do what they did with some of the old cartoon shorts: have some celebrity psa [leonard martin again or more likely a prominent african-american celebrity] play before the movie to warn about the scene and talk about how it was a different time and so on and so forth.
Whoopi Goldberg is a big fan of the crows in Dumbo and has defended not only this scene but also Song of the South. Although a Song of the South release looks highly unlikely in the forseeable future, Disney could easily utilize her for Dumbo.
...is Whoopi on Twitter? is there any way of getting this idea to higher-ups?
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:Now The Hollywood Reporter is reporting it too.
Well, that settles it. It's happening.
JeanGreyForever wrote:I don't even think Disney would have the resources to reanimate a scene in a movie as old as Dumbo.
Oh, they're not going to reanimate anything. That would actually require putting effort and money on their part. This is Disney we're talking about. It's going to be a hack job. They'll clumsily edit the scene out and maybe they'll include a frame with some text on it to fill in the gaps. Something like this but nowhere near as good.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
MrXemnas1992
Limited Issue

Post by MrXemnas1992 »

i await the inevitable social media backlash w/ a bowl of popcorn.

By trying to cater to overly-sensitive and morally-righteous "progressives", Disney will have incured the wrath of a group even more fearsome: disney uber-fans/purists.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^I hope there's enough backlash that makes Disney rethink their decision.
willard
Gold Classic Collection

Post by willard »

The company also doesn't plan to include a scene from the 1941 animated film Dumbo featuring a crow named Jim Crow, a reference to a 19th century blackface character that later became the name of the segregation laws enacted following the Reconstruction era. The scene also does not appear in Tim Burton's live-action remake of the original animated pic. Boardwalk Times also first reported the scene's absence
Again. Doesn't seem to be an independent report.
willard
Gold Classic Collection

Post by willard »

Oh, they're not going to reanimate anything. That would actually require putting effort and money on their part. This is Disney we're talking about. It's going to be a hack job. They'll clumsily edit the scene out and maybe they'll include a frame with some text on it to fill in the gaps. Something like this but nowhere near as good.
Maybe they could instead rerecord the Crow's speaking parts so that they sound less stereotypical like Turner did with Mammy Two Shoes in Tom and Jerry.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

MrXemnas1992 wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote: Whoopi Goldberg is a big fan of the crows in Dumbo and has defended not only this scene but also Song of the South. Although a Song of the South release looks highly unlikely in the forseeable future, Disney could easily utilize her for Dumbo.
...is Whoopi on Twitter? is there any way of getting this idea to higher-ups?
Here's Whoopi's Twitter account.
https://twitter.com/whoopigoldberg?lang=en

Here's the article featuring her talk about Song of the South and the crows btw.
https://www.cartoonbrew.com/disney/firs ... 52327.html
ImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

willard wrote:Again. Doesn't seem to be an independent report.
The Hollywood Reported is a highly reputable publication. It's one of the leading three trades along with Variety and Deadline. They wouldn't just report on a piece from a blog no one's heard before like the way other smaller, click-baiting sites do, if they hadn't first checked the validity of the claim with their own sources.
willard wrote:Maybe they could instead rerecord the Crow's speaking parts so that they sound less stereotypical like Turner did with Mammy Two Shoes in Tom and Jerry.
That's certainly a less harmful alternative but somehow I doubt Disney would take that route.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Sotiris wrote:
willard wrote:Maybe they could instead rerecord the Crow's speaking parts so that they sound less stereotypical like Turner did with Mammy Two Shoes in Tom and Jerry.
That's certainly a less harmful alternative but somehow I doubt Disney would take that route.
It's not just the voice performances though. It's probably the name of the lead crow as well, which is included in the credits (wonder if they'll censor that too lol). I wonder if the roustabouts scene is also up for censorship.
ImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

willard wrote:
Again. Doesn't seem to be an independent report.
Agreed. I read the article. They have a direct quote from Iger about Song of the South (not that they needed it--why would Song of the South suddenly become available now after being unreleased for so long), but nothing except their own word and no sources about Dumbo being edited. I'll believe it when it comes from Disney themselves.
MrXemnas1992 wrote: By trying to cater to overly-sensitive and morally-righteous "progressives", Disney will have incured the wrath of a group even more fearsome: disney uber-fans/purists.
I don't believe it's even happening, but... Since when has Disney ever cared about their fans or purists? :lol:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"