Dumbo (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Dumbo (Live-Action)

Post by Disney's Divinity »

What’s hypocritical to me is talking about attacks and rule violations when a person decided to make Cinderella 2015 the focus of the Dumbo thread. When you deliberately incite an argument--you get what you wanted.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Even more posters and new videos:

- Cast and Crew of Disney's Dumbo Discuss Becoming a Family
- True Artist: The Magic of Tim Burton
- Tim Burton Breaks Down Dumbo's Parade Scene With Colleen Atwood
JeanGreyForever wrote:Not only the sequel, which may have tainted the original film's legacy, but also probably how long ago the original film was. Almost a decade at this point. Cinderella, The Jungle Book, and BATB are much more recent and thus more fresh in the audience's mind. Also, critically, all three did much better than Alice which was more of a visual spectacle but wasn't really repeatable beyond that.
I hadn't considered those factors. You're right, they probably played a role too in the decision to not include it in the promo.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I need to intervene here for a moment. Personal attacks are not tolerated under any circumstances. If you have a personal issue with someone you need to take it outside this forum. Needlessly antagonistic and aggressive behavior has no place on a Disney board.

Also, lately there has been an increase in off-topic discussion in regards to Cinderella. While I understand that sometimes the flow of a conversation can take you off-topic, let's make an effort to limit this phenomenon. Any prolonged discussion about Cinderella needs to be contained to topics pertaining to Cinderella.

Thank you for listening. Now let's get back to discussing Dumbo!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thanks Sotiris. I don't know if I will see Dumbo. But I want to since I saw all the remakes. I will probably just rent it, though. I don't want to pay the money to see it in theaters. Because it got such low marks so far.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Yes, thank you, Sotiris. Everybody here should be treated the same according to the rules for a change and that includes posting with a deliberate intent to cause conflict. The number of people sided with you doesn't make you above the rules.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I'll probably watch Dumbo anyway since I was planning to this Saturday. I love the original and I'm curious to see how this holds up.

I'm just going to quickly add that I don't think tsom's post was at all meant to incite an argument, so I hope nobody is giving him flack for his perfectly harmless post which frankly woke up the discussion in this thread.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

JeanGreyForever wrote:
I'm just going to quickly add that I don't think tsom's post was at all meant to incite an argument, so I hope nobody is giving him flack for his perfectly harmless post which frankly woke up the discussion in this thread.
Thank you, JeanGreyForever! I didn't think I was doing anything wrong by making an observation, but heck if I did, then i'll just leave my thoughts and observations to myself next time.
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

I saw it yesterday and thought it was a nice "fleshing out" of the original movie. It could be a little better (like, maybe it lacks a bit of "soul"? or something like that) but I don't even know how many times I cried. It's really sweet.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The film is performing even lower than the reserved studio projections.
Disney’s Dumbo is flying in lower than the $50M-plus tracking expected with an estimated $46M-$49M weekend off a $15M first day, not what we typically expect from the uber event Disney live action remakes of its toon vault. Critics have whipped Jumbo Jr. hard at 55% on Rotten Tomatoes. A lot can change for this $170M-budgeted pic (not counting global P&A) by tomorrow with matinees.
Source: https://deadline.com/2019/03/dumbo-box- ... 202584883/
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

Sotiris wrote:The film is performing even lower than the reserved studio projections.
Disney’s Dumbo is flying in lower than the $50M-plus tracking expected with an estimated $46M-$49M weekend off a $15M first day, not what we typically expect from the uber event Disney live action remakes of its toon vault. Critics have whipped Jumbo Jr. hard at 55% on Rotten Tomatoes. A lot can change for this $170M-budgeted pic (not counting global P&A) by tomorrow with matinees.
Source: https://deadline.com/2019/03/dumbo-box- ... 202584883/
This doesn’t surprise me. I feel like people are starting to pay more attention to reviews. Don’t get me wrong, word of mouth is always way more important. However...

I saw it earlier today with very low expectations and was still let down. It all felt very sterile and devoid of real emotion. There just wasn’t a lot of depth to any of it. I think the set up and framing drive were actually great, but the script just doesn’t dive into any of it enough. I also felt a lot of the circus scenes looked very cheap. Once you get the Dreamland, the quality bumps up. Dumbo’s CGI is mighty impressive, but I was shocked how bad some of the flying CGI is. It’s a perfectly mediocre movie. It just doesn’t have that mood or magic I was hoping for. And if anyone can create mood, it’s Burton. Worth seeing once, but I don’t see this picking up much steam at the box office beyond people wanting to oogle at a cute baby elephant.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

The film's soundtrack has been uploaded to Youtube.

Here's the version of "Baby Mine" performed by Sharon Rooney in the movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olMwtGysBVk

And here are the homages to "Casey Junior" and "Pink Elephants on Parade" in the score:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apvaBA1Ngw8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wslWlMw1CS8
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

I’ll repeat the critics - The new Dumbo is flat, long and boring. The human sections are full of live action Disney cliches (dead mom who they repeat non-stop, "feminist" character/the little girl wanting to be a scientist), uninspired or over the top and overall drags. The human acting is meh or horrible (DeVito being the strongest, Farrell is good, Green has nothing to work with, and Keane & the kids are horrible).

I didn't get the bad guy's motive: So the only way to get Dumbo to fly is his mom, so in order to get Dumbo to fly, you're going to kill her because your dad hated you....yes, that's literally it. :lol:

Anything with Dumbo, who is indeed the star, shines. He’s absolutely adorable.

P.S-I would say they did Baby Mine way too soon, but with the new story, they literally don’t have the time. Similarly, the Pink Elephant scene is disappointing and meh. That scene needed Tim Burton’s touch.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I surprisingly saw this in theaters because a friend of mine wanted to see it as part of her birthday celebrations. And even more surpisingly, I really liked the movie! I actually thought it was good! Not really good, but good! I mean, is this not the live-action Disney remake with the most heart and emotion? I cried so many times! Any time with Dumbo being seperated from or reuniting with his mother, and when he flew for the first time in the circus! I admit at first I thought the little girl's character had science put into her purposely for no good reason just like Belle and Clara, but I thought her part turned out ok. Though the girls' acting was pretty bad. And my my, so was Keaton's! And he's usually such a great actor! But he wasn't a standout and he didn't seem like he knew what he was doing when he was in the control center acting crazy. I thought this film's detriment was the original plot beginner was ridiculous. Mrs. Jumbo making the whole tent collapse? And why would the ring master not want to show off a freak elephant when he wants to show off real freaks? If they thought Dumbo's ears would be mistaken for fake - news flash! All your freaks are! But I felt like a kid again when they announced Dumbo in Dreamland and like I said I cried so many times and I really cared what happened to the characters in the film. I would not trust the cirtics this time, I encourage everyone to see this movie, especially if you love the original Dumbo, though it does not reach that one's greatness, of course.

But yes, Dumbo was cute, not creepy like I feared! Truly adorable!

Disneyprincess11, I thought it was that Keaton said if Dumbo were to be reunited with his mother, he would only do what she wanted, which was not fly for everybody dangerously. What was the thing about his dad?
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Yeah, I really like Tim Burton's work, I'm somebody who still enjoys his newer movies and yet this is surprisingly my least favourite movie of his. I don't understand why the decision was made to focus so much on the human characters at the expense of Dumbo. Dumbo felt more like a plot device to drive the arcs of the humans, but even they weren't that well developed. I just never found myself invested in Colin Farell, the kids, Michael Keaton or the fate of the circus. It's certainly a pretty looking film, the CG was decent and I liked how the movie embraced the time period it was set in. Otherwise, this is the first Burton film that has ever bored me in spots. Even his "lesser" films always have interesting things going on.

I'm sure Burton will bounce back, though. He followed up Planet with the Apes with Big Fish, which is a movie I love. I also don't care for Mars Attacks, but he did Sleepy Hollow immediately afterwards. He hasn't announced his next project, so I'm excited to find out if it's another big production, a smaller film ala Big Eyes or maybe even another stop-motion film.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I just came back from seeing it. I really liked it; I must confess, I went with pretty low expectations, knowing Tim Burton will handle it. I thought it was going to be just a visual spectacle, with a weak storyline (like Alice in Wonderland), but it was quite the opposite. I went to see it with some friends, and I was really embarrassed to be the only one in my group weeping. :lol: :lol: But seriously, it's a very sweet, touching and fun movie. I highly recommend you give it a shot, you won't be sorry. I loved seeing the trailers for Frozen 2, Aladdin and The Lion King. It's a whole different experience seeing them on a giant IMAX screen. I'm very excited for all of them.

I'm very surprised after reading the reviews on IMDb and RottenTomatoes for this one. Basically everyone is saying the film lacks the heart and of the original. I thought it was very touching and sweet. I don't know why they are being so harsh towards it. It's very different from anything Tim Burton has directed so far, even visually. Maybe the reviews will get better later on.
skippy
Gold Classic Collection

Post by skippy »

I saw it and thought it was great.

Hated the Alice movies, was afraid this would be all visuals no plot.

I enjoyed the character Keaton portrayed. I enjoyed the children although the little girl's makeup was a bit distracting.
Dumbo is very cute, I mean like possibly the cutest character cgi in a human world character I've ever seen.

Anyway, 3 out of 5 stars and much better than critics have portrayed.

I'm glad Disney and Burton didn't play this safe.
Where's the rest of Elfego Baca and the Swamp Fox?
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

My local movie theater has 12 screens but only show it during 3 times in the day. Made me wonder if this might be a dud
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Dumbo opened even lower at $45 million. The movie reportedly cost $170 million to produce. I think it's safe to say there won't be a sequel.

Box Office: ‘Dumbo’ Lands at No. 1 With Soft $45 Million
https://variety.com/2019/film/box-offic ... 203176902/
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

I'm not surprised it's struggling at the box office. It's just not that good or engaging, I was starting to get bored like 30 minutes in. It's too long which would not be bad if it was paced better. Instead, it just drags on and on. It could have been 40 minutes shorter. CG Dumbo is cute but a lot of his emotiveness felt manipulative (i.e. sad noises, large expressive eyes). I wish they used an actual elephant but I guess that would have been wrong for ethical reasons. The cast was more or less fine with Danny De Vito being the standout. The little girl was absolutely awful though, I don't remember the last time I've seen such wooden acting, she just recited her lines. It's a shame because the story relied so much on her emotional connection to Dumbo and she made it seem like there wasn't much of it. As someone who doesn't like circuses or zoos, I did like the ending. And I assumed that haunting version of Baby Mine heard in the trailer would be in the movie, I didn't like the version sung by Miss Atlantis. Unless it's supposed to be the same version? It sounded different in the trailer.

Oh, and the visuals, as nice as some of them looked like, were too digital and distracting. Too polished and sterile, they kept taking me out of the movie. Wished they used more natural shots and locations but I guess that would be like expecting most modern movies to be shot on film.
Hardbackyoyo
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Hardbackyoyo »

Mooky wrote:CG Dumbo is cute but a lot of his emotiveness felt manipulative (i.e. sad noises, large expressive eyes).
Stories are and always have been inherently manipulative, you know.