Toy Story 4

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Re: Toy Story 4

Post by Kyle »

Is it even a toy? maybe its the owner of the antique shop.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Warm Regards wrote:Surprised but also happy that no bad press is happening yet.
Well, the journalists only saw several minutes of clips, according to one of them, not the entire movie. But, yes, the first reactions are encouraging.
Warm Regards wrote:I don't know what this is supposed to mean... Like, a vintage Barbie toy is angry that she's not popular anymore and becomes the villainess trying to ruin the other's lives?
I didn't translate the entire article, just summarized it, but just before mentioning that character, they say that this film, like the previous ones in the franchise, still has references to classic movies. So maybe it's just a small role. I don't know, maybe a character just says one famous line by Norma Desmond, for example.
SpaceAce
Gold Classic Collection

Post by SpaceAce »

The Toy Story 4 Pops have leaked and shows some new characters.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvFDPnAgKQ9/
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Warm Regards wrote:Thanks for the information D82. Surprised but also happy that no bad press is happening yet.
D82 wrote:reveal there's a new character similar to Norma Desmond from Sunset Boulevard.
I don't know what this is supposed to mean... Like, a vintage Barbie toy is angry that she's not popular anymore and becomes the villainess trying to ruin the other's lives?
Sounds like we found our twist villain.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:They also liked the character voiced by Keanu Reeves, and reveal there's a new character similar to Norma Desmond from Sunset Boulevard.
That must be the doll Gabby Gabby, right?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^It could be. The first look at one of her sidekicks (according to the footage descriptions), a ventriloquist dummy, has been revealed on a Ketchup bottle: https://twitter.com/dengar69/status/110 ... irl.com%2F

SpaceAce wrote:The Toy Story 4 Pops have leaked and shows some new characters.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvFDPnAgKQ9/
So Combat Carl will be in the movie too. I wonder if he's part of Bonnie's toys now or if he reappears at the antique shop. From what I remember, he didn't end up with Bonnie at the end of Toy Story of Terror, did he?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

It's odd only Combat Carl Jr. will appear in the film without Combat Carl.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I had forgotten about Combat Carl Jr., I thought the one in the picture was Combat Carl. Well, not every character is in that image, so who knows, maybe both appear in the film.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

D82 wrote:^It could be. The first look at one of her sidekicks (according to the footage descriptions), a ventriloquist dummy, has been revealed on a Ketchup bottle: https://twitter.com/dengar69/status/110 ... irl.com%2F
Dolly is on a bottle! I wonder if she or any of Bonnie"s toys will be featured much in this film; I absolutely adore them all.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Just as we suspected. I wonder if she's a surprise villain like Stinky Pete or Lotso. There's a trend lately at Disney of having surprise female villains. Bellwether, Evelyn Deavor, Sugar Plum Fairy, Qi'ra. Do they believe people won't be able to figure out they're the villains because they're female?
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

I mean they started the whole secret villain with male characters, too. And knowing Disney with how lazy they are with storytelling they won't stop using this trope for a long while. I think the gender here is irrelevant.
Hardbackyoyo
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Hardbackyoyo »

thedisneyspirit wrote:I mean they started the whole secret villain with male characters, too. And knowing Disney with how lazy they are with storytelling they won't stop using this trope for a long while. I think the gender here is irrelevant.
"Lazy"? As long as the tropes work within the context of the story, it really doesn't matter how overused you think they are.
Hardbackyoyo
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Hardbackyoyo »

A user on Reddit named SpectacularSpiderBro said this:

To a certain extent, Disney/Pixar's villain twists are there because the twist and the villain are both directly tied to the moral of the story. The twist is more defined when the moral/theme of the story is tied to the main character's flaws--Woody in Toy Story 2 is scared of being shelved and forgotten, and he meets Stinky Pete who will do anything to be idolized; Carl in Up is stuck living in the past, so he meets Muntz who can't let go of the hunt he's been on since the 40s, etc. etc. It's important for the emotional impact of the theme that we see the characters more or less get what they wanted, only to discover that they'd been wanting the wrong thing all this time. Disney/Pixar movies are working from a relatively simple template that they dress up for all sorts of themes and plots, but the core emotion at the center is the same.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

:shrug: If Disney still thinks they can surprise us with overusing the same plot twist over and over again, and once we see the true villains they come off just as petty and unsympathetic as the classic villains, then yeah, it is lazy.
Hardbackyoyo
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Hardbackyoyo »

thedisneyspirit wrote:once we see the true villains they come off just as petty and unsympathetic as the classic villains
Not always necessarily.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

I dunno, Hans, Bellwether, and the college professor don't seem sympathetic to me. And Ernesto was just a selfish, greedy bastard.
Hardbackyoyo
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Hardbackyoyo »

As long as the movie is GOOD, a villain twist shouldn't matter, right?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The surprise villain trope is only good for the surprise factor. There's nothing else to gain by that. When it's been done to death, you can no longer fool the audience since they've come to expect it. Also, this trope sacrifices characterization as the true personality of the character is only revealed late in the film, usually during the third act, and there's not enough time to adequately establish a new personality for the character.
Hardbackyoyo
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Hardbackyoyo »

Sotiris wrote:The surprise villain trope is only good for the surprise factor. There's nothing else to gain by that. When it's been done to death, you can no longer fool the audience since they've come to expect it. Also, this trope sacrifices characterization as the true personality of the character is only revealed late in the film, usually during the third act, and there's not enough time to adequately establish a new personality for the character.
Treasure Island has always had the villain twist with Long-John Silver, but nobody cares. Nobody minds when it happens, even if we all know it's coming.