Mary Poppins Returns

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Re: Mary Poppins Returns

Post by Vlad »

Nice one. I'm sure she'll do justice to the song.
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

Sotiris wrote:Well, that was completely out of the blue. I'm guessing she was chosen because of her previous work with the songwriters. I like Bette so I welcome the news.
Not really. She was a big supporter of this film (she hosted screenings and everything) and as you said, she's good friends with Marc and Rob too. She makes perfect sense.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

tsom wrote:This and the Best Song not being performed debacle just shows how annoying some of you are, and how your Lin hate was unwarranted. He ended up not having anything to do with either situation.
And I'm very grateful for that! :D
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I knew the movie didn't meet the studio's box office expectations.
Q: Will there be a sequel to Mary Poppins Returns?

Alan Horn: We have nothing in the works.
Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... er-1187054
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
MerPrincessJamie
Limited Issue

Post by MerPrincessJamie »

blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I don't know what YouTube channel it was, but my husband put on a video about Magic Kingdom rumors, and there's a rumor that a new parade will have a "Trip a Little Light Fantastic" segment.
JTurner
Gold Classic Collection

Post by JTurner »

A domestic gross of $170 million (which puts it above Chicago's gross) plus an additional $171 million abroad for a total of $342 million worldwide is hardly anything to sneeze at, IMO. If anything, it made its budget back ($130 million) and it will surely continue to do so on DVD.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

It might not be a flop but Disney had much higher expectations for it. It will be labeled as a disappointment.
JTurner
Gold Classic Collection

Post by JTurner »

farerb wrote:It might not be a flop but Disney had much higher expectations for it. It will be labeled as a disappointment.
If they think it's a disappointment I think that's pretty dumb. It did a lot better than many of their other films released that year. A Wrinkle In Time, Nutcracker and the Four Realms, Christopher Robin... all those movies either failed or weren't successful enough. This at least did better than those three, as did Ralph Wrecks The Internet.

I have a feeling that if they're this disappointed with it, Enchanted 2 is probably going to be scrapped.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

JTurner wrote: I have a feeling that if they're this disappointed with it, Enchanted 2 is probably going to be scrapped.
I didn't think about that, but you're probably right. Even if not outright scrapped, they'll likely think a lot harder now about a sequel, especially since when Enchanted first came out, it was described as this generation's Mary Poppins.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
JTurner
Gold Classic Collection

Post by JTurner »

JeanGreyForever wrote:
JTurner wrote: I have a feeling that if they're this disappointed with it, Enchanted 2 is probably going to be scrapped.
I didn't think about that, but you're probably right. Even if not outright scrapped, they'll likely think a lot harder now about a sequel, especially since when Enchanted first came out, it was described as this generation's Mary Poppins.
Actually, I might have been overreacting when I said that. As long as it isn't canceled, and it isn't, there's nothing to worry about yet.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

It didn’t just underwhelm financially, it also underwhelmed at the Oscar race, too. Based on early buzz, critic reviews and its predecessor’s pedigree, Best Picture, Best Actress, and multiple Best Song nominations would not have been out of the question. I don’t necessarily think it was ever going to be an Oscar darling (2019 is not 1965) but if it had been a bigger financial success, it might have scored at least another song nomination and filled in one of the commercial slots in the Best Picture line-up.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Bette Midler's performance was so good! She really has a knack of elevating even unmemorable or mediocre songs. I also loved what they did with the stage. The whole presentation was very classy and ambient.

Here it is in case anyone missed it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP_M4ytwO7w
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I wasn't even a fan of the song in the film but I loved Bette Midler's rendition of it.
ImageImage
JTurner
Gold Classic Collection

Post by JTurner »

It may not have won the Oscars, but the fact that it was honored at all is still better than nothing. And it will certainly enjoy an afterlife on DVD.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:Bette Midler's performance was so good! She really has a knack of elevating even unmemorable or mediocre songs. I also loved what they did with the stage. The whole presentation was very classy and ambient.
I agree. Her performance was great. Disney also released a sing-along version of the song before the awards.

And I don't know if the list of Blu-ray extras has been posted or not. Among other things, it will include a deleted song called "The Anthropomorphic Zoo":
Blu-ray and 4K Ultra HD Special Features

Deleted Song—“The Anthropomorphic Zoo” – In this early song sequence, Mary Poppins and the children visit a very special zoo where the humans and animals trade places.

The Practically Perfect Making of “Mary Poppins Returns” – Join filmmakers and cast on an amazing journey to embrace the legacy of the original film while making a fresh modern sequel.
  • - Introduction – Filmmakers and cast remember the first Mary Poppins movie and share the thrill of working on “Mary Poppins Returns.”
    - “(Underneath the) Lovely London Sky” – Discover how the team mined PL Travers’ books for a fresh perspective on a much-loved character. Plus, meet the Banks children!
    - “Can You Imagine That?” – Be on location for Mary’s iconic entrance from the sky, and explore the movie’s original songs, inspired by the Sherman Brothers.
    - “Nowhere to Go but Up” – Experience being on set with the legendary Dick Van Dyke and Angela Lansbury, and celebrate the joy of choosing the right balloon!

Seeing Things From a Different Point of View: The Musical Numbers of “Mary Poppins Returns” – Go behind the scenes and experience the film’s production numbers from a new angle.
  • - “Trip a Little Light Fantastic” – Led by Lin-Manuel Miranda, the cast performs the film’s biggest production number, with dancing lamplighters, bicyclists and more!
    - “The Royal Doulton Music Hall” / “A Cover Is Not the Book” – Find out what it takes to create two musical extravaganzas inside an animated world, highlighted by dancing animated penguins!
    - “Turning Turtle” – Mary’s eccentric cousin, Topsy Turvy, played by Meryl Streep, has an unusual house that turns this musical number upside-down.
    - “Can You Imagine That?” – Dive under the bubbles with the cast and crew to see how this exuberant number was created.

Back to Cherry Tree Lane: Dick Van Dyke Returns – Dick Van Dyke, who played Bert and Mr. Dawes Sr. in the first film, returns after 54 years to Cherry Tree Lane as Mr. Dawes Jr.

Practically Perfect Bloopers – There’s nowhere to go but up with the cast and crew in this lighthearted collection of flubs, goofs and prop fails!

Deleted Scenes
  • - Leaving Topsy’s – After their visit to Cousin Topsy, Mary, Jack and the children pause to take a look back.
    - “Trip a Little Light Fantastic” – The leeries light up the screen in this extended clip from the movie’s biggest musical production.

Play Movie in Sing-Along Mode – Sing along with all your favorite songs as you watch the movie.

Digital Exclusive

Play Movie with Audio Commentary – Watch the film with commentary by director Rob Marshall and producer John DeLuca.
Source: https://www.slashfilm.com/mary-poppins- ... d-digital/
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I was hoping they might feature something on the original treatment for a sequel that P.L. Travers came up with a few decades ago, but I never expected Disney to do that.
ImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Disney has released the sing-along version of "A Cover Is Not the Book": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlCHj6SPxko
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Here's a clip from the deleted song "Anthropomorphic Zoo". The song was replaced by "The Royal Doulton Music Hall" in the final film.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

It's a cute song. I think I prefer The Royal Doulton Music Hall though.