The Walt Disney Signature Collection

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: The Walt Disney Signature Collection

Post by Disney Duster »

DisneyFreak5282 wrote:I wish their streaming service would offer some sort of "Digital Vault", where we could have access to bonus features from all home video formats of each film's release.
That would be freaking awesome!!!
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I could swear Lady and the Tramp, Bambi, and Peter Pan were all packaged with their sequels? You also have the option to buy the original films solo, the same way with most other double packages, like Mulan and Pocahontas. Actually, now that I think of it, the sequels for those might have been made exclusive to the DMC entirely (which could be the same for most of these films, since the Blu-ray options of the 2-packs of Mulan / Pocahontas are around $50 on Amazon), but they are packaged with the original films there. Cinderella, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, and Aladdin have two sequels each and the sequels are usually packaged together in their cases.

Either way, I don't see that as an indication of what Disney thinks of a film or not, considering L&S, Pocahontas, and Mulan still get regular releases however they're packaged. Alice is another one that gets released all the time. I doubt they do it for the funsies.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Occasionally, you can find bundles where the sequel is sold with the original movie, but that's not really what you find in stores. Bambi, Peter Pan, Lady and the Tramp, 101 Dalmatians, The Jungle Book, and The Lion King all had individual releases for their respective sequels (I guess The Lion King's sequels were lucrative enough to be released individually rather than packaged together). 101 Dalmatians' sequel was a DMC Exclusive I believe.

Actually the 2-Movie Collections for Pocahontas and Mulan are the general releases. The DMC Exclusives feature only the original films. They did this for some other movie as well (The Fox and the Hound maybe)?
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
DisneyFreak5282
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFreak5282 »

I've always seen the Blu-Ray release of films with their DTV sequels as more of a reflection of the sequels, not the original film. As someone else said, it's probably the only way Disney would be able to sell them at this point. The completist in me was glad to have the sequels on Blu, but thankful that I didn't have to shell out another $20 - $25 for each of them.
Disney's Divinity wrote:I could swear Lady and the Tramp, Bambi, and Peter Pan were all packaged with their sequels? You also have the option to buy the original films solo, the same way with most other double packages, like Mulan and Pocahontas. Actually, now that I think of it, the sequels for those might have been made exclusive to the DMC entirely (which could be the same for most of these films, since the Blu-ray options of the 2-packs of Mulan / Pocahontas are around $50 on Amazon), but they are packaged with the original films there. Cinderella, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, and Aladdin have two sequels each and the sequels are usually packaged together in their cases.

Either way, I don't see that as an indication of what Disney thinks of a film or not, considering L&S, Pocahontas, and Mulan still get regular releases however they're packaged. Alice is another one that gets released all the time. I doubt they do it for the funsies.
During the Signature cycle LATTII, Bambi II and Return to Neverland were all DMC exclusives offered as a bundle alongside their originals, but were still packaged individually unlike the other 2-packs and technically are separate releases. This is most likely because the Signature line is for the "elite" releases ( rotfl ) so it wouldn't make sense to include the sequels among the best performing titles in the line. These DMC exclusives are essentially a repackaging of the sequels' original Blu-Ray releases that were given a wide retail release when their original films were released as part of the Diamond line.

The general releases of films like Mulan and Pocahontas were packaged with their sequels for their original retail releases in 2012 / 2013, but when they were reissued the 2-packs became DMC exclusives. Only their original films were given a wide retail release, essentially stripping the discs of the sequels (which I found to be odd). These sequels were not given individual Blu-Ray releases.
UDer #3495 :D
pikachufan1336
Gold Classic Collection

Post by pikachufan1336 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Most Disney films are packaged with their trash DTV sequels these days because Disney likely has a hard time selling those things any other way. Not sure why people want to argue that Tangled is somehow minimally more successful than L&S anyway, when the likelihood is neither were successful enough to be included in the line anyway or that there even will be any change to the lineup. This was all hypothetical. :lol:

The reason why Tangled and all of the other revival movie were never put into the vault has nothing to do with them not being successful. They weren't put in for multiple reasons.
1. When a movie is first released on home video, that's when the films HV sales will be at it's peak (most likely), it's not fair to compare it to the films that were released prior and already well known, vaulted or not.
2. While one can make educated guesses, and Tangled is certainly a great bet that it will stick around for generations. The point of the movies of the vault is that they were consistently successful. There is such a thing as a movie that does well at first but then doesn't the next time around (Robin Hood, Tarzan, etc).
3. Most importantly. These were born into a diverse and durable form of the home entertainment market, so vaulting it would be pointless, not at all unlike why Alice and Dumbo were never vaulted, which are also very successful.

I don't mean to condescend to anyone's opinions and I get the appeal. But it's best not to take this thing at face value. If you think the movies good that's all that matters, you don't need a line up to tell you otherwise. And lets be real the only real difference between a vault and non vault movie is the marketing and distribution. I know exactly where everyone's coming from, but I learned a long time ago that it doesn't really matter. Trust me.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Disney Duster wrote:Also from the same thread I originally posted this in, is our lovable UD member Escapay revealing much about what I asked, and his own ideas. Click here for that page.
:lol:

Truth be told, I want a Special Edition for 2015's Cinderella, if only to get a longer documentary. The three Blu-ray featurettes and two Target digital features add up to nearly forty minutes, but because they're self-contained, doesn't really create a documentary narrative. If Disney ever made a Special Edition again (ha!), I'd be content with those features on their own, plus a legitimate hourlong documentary, an audio commentary by Kenneth Branagh, and the trailers. And while I'm dreaming, an extended edition of the film that reinstates all the deleted scenes would be nice.

Of course, for me, my ultimate be-all, end-all release would be for 1991's Beauty and the Beast. Thanks to its release history and the differences between the CAPS files versus actual film, the film honestly exists in multiple renditions and cuts that need proper documentation and presentation.

Most importantly, I want a proper release of Beauty and the Beast: Work in Progress. Its 1992 laserdisc and VHS are the only "true" representation of the film, every other home media presentation has been compromised. The 2002 Platinum Edition branched the pencil-animation footage from the new IMAX edition color transfer, the 2010 Diamond Edition relegates it all to a picture-in-picture stream on the Blu-Ray and the similar branching on the DVD (just not with the IMAX colors, but the latest approved color palette), and it's not even on disc for 2016's Signature Collection. Thanks to the shuttering of the original Disney Movies Anywhere, Beauty and the Beast: Work in Progress isn't even available to stream on a majority of platforms anymore, only as an iTunes exclusive now!

If it were up to me, Disney should do a proper telecine scan of the actual 35mm print used at the New York Film Festival, with the usual digital clean-up needed to make it presentable, but still aware that this is a film print that is being digitized for viewing, not the CAPS files. Because, honestly, Beauty and the Beast: Work in Progress should look like a film, as that's what the New York critics saw and loved, as evident by their unprecedented ten-minute-long standing ovation. No more of this "branch out from the highly-digital look of the CAPS files to the lo-fi pencil animation clips that were likely still from the laserdisc" nonsense. Disney needs to treat Beauty and the Beast: Work in Progress as an actual film, not a feature-length supplement.

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Omg Escapay yes, yes, YES!!!! Yes to everything! Well, though I have not seen the Work in Progress yet. I really should. There's lots of things I'm trying to do these days. I told myself as I bought dvds for any films other than my top 3, "When you're rich, or retired, you will have time to watch all these bonus features", but the Work in Progress is a film, like you said, so I that's a big thing I should watch, sooner than the other bonus features. But I am so on board with it presented the way you want. And yes, the audience loved that version and it's so historical! And I really want Cinderella 2015's longer documentary, an audio commentary, and a director's cut. You know, I think I got the inspiration for pencil animation of key Cinderella 1950 scenes from the Beast's transformation pencil test. Disney, please, the Beast's transformation is one of the best pieces of animation, and so is Cinderella's transformation, and it was Walt Disney's favourite piece of animation ever. Please give it to us like the Beast's was in pencil form!
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Escapay wrote:
Disney Duster wrote:Also from the same thread I originally posted this in, is our lovable UD member Escapay revealing much about what I asked, and his own ideas. Click here for that page.
:lol:

Truth be told, I want a Special Edition for 2015's Cinderella, if only to get a longer documentary. The three Blu-ray featurettes and two Target digital features add up to nearly forty minutes, but because they're self-contained, doesn't really create a documentary narrative. If Disney ever made a Special Edition again (ha!), I'd be content with those features on their own, plus a legitimate hourlong documentary, an audio commentary by Kenneth Branagh, and the trailers. And while I'm dreaming, an extended edition of the film that reinstates all the deleted scenes would be nice.

Of course, for me, my ultimate be-all, end-all release would be for 1991's Beauty and the Beast. Thanks to its release history and the differences between the CAPS files versus actual film, the film honestly exists in multiple renditions and cuts that need proper documentation and presentation.

Most importantly, I want a proper release of Beauty and the Beast: Work in Progress. Its 1992 laserdisc and VHS are the only "true" representation of the film, every other home media presentation has been compromised. The 2002 Platinum Edition branched the pencil-animation footage from the new IMAX edition color transfer, the 2010 Diamond Edition relegates it all to a picture-in-picture stream on the Blu-Ray and the similar branching on the DVD (just not with the IMAX colors, but the latest approved color palette), and it's not even on disc for 2016's Signature Collection. Thanks to the shuttering of the original Disney Movies Anywhere, Beauty and the Beast: Work in Progress isn't even available to stream on a majority of platforms anymore, only as an iTunes exclusive now!

If it were up to me, Disney should do a proper telecine scan of the actual 35mm print used at the New York Film Festival, with the usual digital clean-up needed to make it presentable, but still aware that this is a film print that is being digitized for viewing, not the CAPS files. Because, honestly, Beauty and the Beast: Work in Progress should look like a film, as that's what the New York critics saw and loved, as evident by their unprecedented ten-minute-long standing ovation. No more of this "branch out from the highly-digital look of the CAPS files to the lo-fi pencil animation clips that were likely still from the laserdisc" nonsense. Disney needs to treat Beauty and the Beast: Work in Progress as an actual film, not a feature-length supplement.

Albert
They did make a 35mm scan, they just need to allow us to watch it in full screen and not in PIP. But it's just wishful thinking at this point. The final release of Beauty and the Beast on physical will be when the film is released on 4K and that would be just an upscale from one of their current masters - 2D or 3D, I hope they used the 3D, but they probably won't.
Last edited by Farerb on Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hardbackyoyo
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Hardbackyoyo »

How likely are the chances that Cinderella is getting a brand new restoration from scratch?
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

My steelbook has finaly arrived and I don't know what are all the complaints about. The film has grain. A lot of grain, even in the scuttle scene. Yes it has DNR, but the Diamond edition also has DNR, just with different shades. Overall the presentation looks great.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I hope with all my heart Cinderella gets a true, good restoration, and I also wonder of they will release it in 4K?

What Disney films had DNR? Hasn't every pre-CAPS Disney "elite" film release had DNR?
pikachufan1336
Gold Classic Collection

Post by pikachufan1336 »

I'm asking an opinion since there is obviously not a clear answer: With the Vault officially being over and done with, does this mean that Disney will continue with blu ray line ups after the Signature collection?
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

pikachufan1336 wrote:I'm asking an opinion since there is obviously not a clear answer: With the Vault officially being over and done with, does this mean that Disney will continue with blu ray line ups after the Signature collection?
In my opinion - no:

1. All the Signature titles are still available, there is no reason for Disney to stop printing them only to rerelease the same edition under a new name, I feel like the reason why the Signature Collection even exists is because they were too shortsighted to realize the Vault would be irrelevant and decided to put the films on moratorium. So far none of the films released so far entered the vault again (Snow White has been available for three years - that is the longest the film has been available).

2. It seems like Disney no longer desires to put an effort in producing new bonus features for new releases.

3. The future of home video feels uncertain now. I don't have information about the sales of Lion King 4K and Little Mermaid 4K, but I feel like future 4K releases depends on them. If they do 4K releases of the vault titles, I give it 5% that they might do it in a new collection, 95% that they just rerelease the 4K as part of the Signature like they did with The Lion King. Because TLK and TLM were released in 4K, I'm almost certain that Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin will get the same treatment, but I don't know about the rest, the fact that Dumbo and Mary Poppins didn't get a 4K rerelease and the fact that there's no film from before 1970 (if I'm not mistaken) which got a 4K release, doesn't make me hopeful, but we will see when Cinderella or Sleeping Beauty are rereleased.
DisneyFreak5282
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFreak5282 »

pikachufan1336 wrote:I'm asking an opinion since there is obviously not a clear answer: With the Vault officially being over and done with, does this mean that Disney will continue with blu ray line ups after the Signature collection?
As I said a few pages back, I doubt it. I think they'll keep all current (and future release) titles in print, Signature or not.
farerb wrote: 2. It seems like Disney no longer desires to put an effort in producing new bonus features for new releases.
They haven't put much effort into their bonus features for over a decade, so this is definitely a factor as well. The new streaming service gives them much less incentive to produce new bonuses for any future releases.
farerb wrote: 3. The future of home video feels uncertain now. I don't have information about the sales of Lion King 4K and Little Mermaid 4K, but I feel like future 4K releases depends on them. If they do 4K releases of the vault titles, I give it 5% that they might do it in a new collection, 95% that they just rerelease the 4K as part of the Signature like they did with The Lion King. Because TLK and TLM were released in 4K, I'm almost certain that Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin will get the same treatment, but I don't know about the rest, the fact that Dumbo and Mary Poppins didn't get a 4K rerelease and the fact that there's no film from before 1970 (if I'm not mistaken) which got a 4K release, doesn't make me hopeful, but we will see when Cinderella or Sleeping Beauty are rereleased.
I also think the future of 4K releases depends on the future of home video as a whole. Because it's such a niche format (more so than Blu-Ray), and because of the new streaming service, I think any future 4K releases will be pretty much a non-event.
UDer #3495 :D
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Farerb, you said The Little Mermaid has DNR, but hasn't every pre-CAPS Disney film released in best-selling home video lines had it?
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Disney Duster wrote:Farerb, you said The Little Mermaid has DNR, but hasn't every pre-CAPS Disney film released in best-selling home video lines had it?
Yes, they do. Some of them seem more natural and true to the source: Snow White, Bambi, Lady and the Tramp.

Some look oversaturated like Dumbo, Cinderella and Alice in Wonderland.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

farerb wrote:
Alice, especially, has a completely new color palette. Not a fan of the "restoration" it got at all.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, thank you farerb. I thought Alice just looked brighter, no colors really changing to other colors. I didn't see the latest restoration or compare it to how it looked before, though.
pikachufan1336
Gold Classic Collection

Post by pikachufan1336 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:
farerb wrote:
Alice, especially, has a completely new color palette. Not a fan of the "restoration" it got at all.
Really? I didn't know it got a new palette, I thought the film looked gorgeous irregardless.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

pikachufan1336 wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote: Alice, especially, has a completely new color palette. Not a fan of the "restoration" it got at all.
Really? I didn't know it got a new palette, I thought the film looked gorgeous irregardless.
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompar ... rland_.htm