Aladdin (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
bruno_wbt
Anniversary Edition

Re: Aladdin (Live-Action)

Post by bruno_wbt »

I love this new trailer!

Naomi's voice as Jasmine is just perfect! She sings so well!
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

To be honest, I'm somewhat torn about this trailer. Several of the cartoony parts seems just off and out of place. However, the trailer didn't lack it's highlights, since A Whole New World sounded fantastic.
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

DisneyFan09 wrote:To be honest, I'm somewhat torn about this trailer. Several of the cartoony parts seems just off and out of place. However, the trailer didn't lack it's highlights, since A Whole New World sounded fantastic.
I felt that way too, then I pulled it up on a rather large television and watched it on there and all of that went away. I get the feeling this is gonna look pretty stellar on a big screen.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Wow, this trailer makes a world of a difference. The Genie is a lot more natural and Jasmine's voice is so powerful. I was skeptical about Aladdin's casting but I really like what I saw of him so far and his singing voice even reminds me of the animated one. So glad that Jasmine and Aladdin have a dance scene together since we never get that in the original film. Still haven't seen enough of Jafar to find his actor promising or not.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Looks so good. My only disappointment is I wish the action sequences looked a little better...

That last shot reminded me of some image--it might have been a poster, but it was also made into a puzzle--with all the characters combined with the "Friends Like Me" imagery. I'm going to Google to see if I can find it. EDIT: Here it is (hopefully that image works for others). Something about that last shot reminded me of that poster. Maybe the arrangement, I don't know.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

We stll don't know if he'll just be making bird sounds like when he voiced Hei Hei in Moana or if he'll actually talk.

'Aladdin': Alan Tudyk to Voice Iago
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... go-1194074
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

1) YES YES YES ALAN! So glad he's finally doing a remake.

2) This trailer is much much better. Will Smith looks and sounds great as Genie. The blue looks natural, thank goodness. Friend Like Me looks so cool and Prince Ali looks better. I love Mena as Aladdin and his singing sounds so much like the original singing voice. Naomi is great as Jasmine, but I'm unsure about her singing. I can hear vibrato and power, but it sounds like she's yelling and not belting.

I am not sold on Jafar. He acts a bit better, but he is just so unconvincing as Jafar.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Really pleased to hear that Alan Tudyk will be in this film. I wasn't sure who could sit comfortably next to Gilbert Gottfried's depiction of Iago, but I trust Tudyk. Hopefully he gets better material than that joke of a role as Hei-Hei.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I loved the trailer! It's such an improvement over the last one. Honestly, when they started singing "A Whole New World", I got a little chocked up.

Mena and Naomi have great chemistry together and are quite photogenic. The camera loves them. Their scenes together were the best ones in the trailer. And they both have great singing voices! I was taken aback by how good they sound. I can't wait to hear more. I like Will Smith's take on the Genie even though it's the same as his character on The Fresh Prince of Bel Air which is really just Will being himself. I'm not sold on the CG-fied blue Genie though; it still looks off to me. Jafar's acting was pretty poor here. I never expected something as good as Jonathan Freeman's performance but he's so bland and lacking in any sort of screen presence it's distracting. And what's up with Jasmine's dresses? All of them are horribly designed. It's ironic Jasmine has so many costume changes but none of them are any good. The one showcased here looks hideous. The costume design for the entire production is underwhelming. I liked the dancing scenes but they feel more Indian/Bollywood than Arabian. I mean the original had Indian influences too but they weren't as prominent as they are here. The production design is great; the interior of the palace is particularly impressive. I'm not so fond of the cinematography though. The location shots leave something to be desired.

The poster is OK. It's too cluttered for my taste and I was never a fan of big floating heads. They should have at least have made the Genie the same size as Jasmine for symmetry's sake. It looks like he's sprouting from Aladdin's neck as is. The color scheme reminded me of the poster for The Force Awakens.

Despite my criticism of certain elements, I'm very excited for the film and really looking forward to experiencing the finished product.
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

Am I the only one who think the Whole New World shots are incredibly desaturated and almost gloomy looking?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

He was the bad boy of the world’s biggest boy band One Direction but now Zayn Malik is desperately trying to shelve that reputation for good. I can reveal that he is in talks to record the soundtrack to Guy Ritchie's reboot of Disney classic Aladdin. A film insider said: “Zayn is looking to work on something new in a bid to lose his reputation that’s become murky in recent years. He was approached about working with another female singer on the soundtrack and is seriously considering the offer. It would be the first kid-friendly work he’s done since he quit One Direction in 2015 and could make him more viable in terms of his future music career.”
Source: https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/8 ... uart-camp/
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

nomad2010 wrote:Am I the only one who think the Whole New World shots are incredibly desaturated and almost gloomy looking?
Its difficult to add color to a night scene realistically. Colors will favor blues and purples. In animation you get more room to break color rules.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Zayn would be great for "A Whole New World." Wasn't it confirmed a while back that Selena Gomez would be singing the woman's part? Or was that just a rumor?

And I definitely thought Star Wars when I saw the poster. I wonder if that was deliberate or coincidental.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

The trailer was really good actually. In fact I would rather see this than Dumbo if I'm being completely honest here.
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:
D82 wrote:The person who described clips from upcoming Disney movies shown at the last Disney shareholders meeting also answered some questions about the Aladdin footage.
Thanks for sharing that. I'm going to quote it here in case it gets deleted.
It turns out what he saw is the trailer released today. But, yes, it's a good idea to quote things like this because it's true that they can get deleted, so thanks for doing it.

I also think the trailer was quite good. And blue Genie looked better now. People will probably stop complaining about his appearance after this. As for the poster, I had almost the same criticisms as you, Sotiris, but it's not bad either.

By the way, in the video description of the trailer it still says the movie has two new songs, though I'm not sure if this confirms anything or not. Maybe they just copied and pasted the same text from previous trailers without checking it.
Eight-time Academy Award®-winning composer Alan Menken provides the score, which includes new recordings of the original songs written by Menken and Oscar®-winning lyricists Howard Ashman and Tim Rice and includes two new songs written by Menken and lyrics by Oscar and Tony Award®-winning songwriters Benj Pasek and Justin Paul.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foyufD52aog
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

The trailer was surprisingly awesome! I was blown away when Naomi started singing "A Whole New World'! I think the special effects look fantastic, the directipn (surprisingly!) looks fantastic, and my only complaints are the art direction (costumes and scenery) and wondering how Genie can make Aladdin move magically without everyone noticing, lol. I love the poster. Aysmmetry is often pretty awesome when done right, and I think it's done right here. And I like when they put a lot of images in a poster. And having a big genie fits because his presence is big in the film.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

I mean, he's a genie, he can basically do anything but the 3 things he said he couldnt/wouldnt do, along with free himself from his master. Its not a huge leap to be able to make a room full of people not notice something odd is going on for a few seconds.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Ah, true. I can put it up to magic. I thought I saw people looking at Aladdin at that moment in the trailer, but watching it again, no one is.
WillytheDino
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WillytheDino »

The trailer looks great. I am really excited for this movie.

Some thoughts:
- Friend like Me looks amazing.
- I think the final battle will carry on for a long time in this movie (I was disappointed by the final battle in the musical, so short). I noticed Aladdin falling in the water, being in the snow, Jafar being in a red outfit with a glowing snake and Jasmine behind him (is she in a mask? Slave outfit?) with crawling snakes behind him, the guards arresting Jasmine (probably on the orders of Jafar) with Rajah protecting her and a chase scene where Al is being chased by a giant bird (I guess that's the phoenix Jafar is turning into instead of the giant snake).
- I like the peacock design on Jasmines outfit.

'All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.' - Walt Disney
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

WillytheDino wrote: a chase scene where Al is being chased by a giant bird (I guess that's the phoenix Jafar is turning into instead of the giant snake).
I am 99% sure that scene is a giant Iago, not a phoenix. Looks like a big action scene is Iago becoming very large and chasing after them.