Splash Mountain

All topics relating to Disney theme parks, resorts, and cruises.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Splash Mountain

Post by Atlantica »

This is really random, but I've been watching loads of US based parks youtube videos recently, and TPM Vids regularly has 'Splash Mountain' as one of their top picks.

So I just began to wonder .... has this ride never come under scrutiny like the film it originates from ? Has it ever been thought to retheme it, to get rid of any Song of the South references or anything like that ? Or is it because it is only the cartoon element it's better ?

I'm not saying that it should be changed or anything like that, I'm just thinking how ON IT Disney is with this sort of stuff, so I'm surprised this one has escaped not having another IP popped on top of it ?
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Splash Mountain

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Yesterday on my lunch break, I was Googling "Splash Mountain controversy," but didn't come up with too much besides a few people wondering why it's themed to SOTS, if they should retheme it. I think your average family just won't be aware of SOTS and thinks it's just a fun ride with animals.

I did learn, though, that Michael Eisner named it Splash Mountain to potentially cross-promote Splash somehow. :?

I think if they were to retheme it, Pocahontas or Moana would make sense (canoes), but I know they probably won't do anything with Poca outside the DP line. I love the ride the way it is, though.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Splash Mountain is one of the most popular rides so it is funny that Disney isn't more defensive of it. I'm assuming the fact that the ride relies entirely on the animated segments (and even the "infamous" tar baby scene has been modified) is what makes it ok to keep. The animated scenes have always been beloved and generally don't come under much scrutiny.
blackcauldron85 wrote: I think if they were to retheme it, Pocahontas or Moana would make sense (canoes), but I know they probably won't do anything with Poca outside the DP line. I love the ride the way it is, though.
I don't think Moana would work very well, but Pocahontas I always felt would be a natural fit, considering how the film relies on waterfalls, mountains, and peaks so many times throughout the film and all the woodland critters could easily be adapted from scenes like Just Around the Riverbend or any Grandmother Willow scene.

I always wanted Pocahontas to have more of a presence in the parks and a popular ride might make the film more beloved as well by general audiences. It's an adventure/thrill ride anyway which suits Pocahontas' personality. However, this is only if Disney felt the need to rebrand the ride. I'm glad we have something left of Song of the South and I hope Disney never decides to change it otherwise.

I wouldn't mind something like this though for a Pocahontas expansion (which sadly will never happen now. Wish Disney had done it back when the film first came out as originally planned).
http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_chief ... olumn.aspx
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Hey guys !

Yeah I've googled and come up with pretty much the same thing; they had animatronics to repurpose so made perfect sense to do something with an animal theme etc.

It just seems SO random that the film Disney have actively tried to hide (or maybe that's too strong a word, maybe conceal from wide public view ?) is still the theme to the ride. I know the whole upset of IP's taking over everything, but if it ever became an issue, Zootopia might be a good one to use ? And of course along with Moana or Pocahontas. I loved those plans from Jim Hill as well !

I love delving into the depths of the theme parks, love all the history behind everything and what decisions were made and why. Fascinating!
blackcauldron85

Have you guys seen this?!
Six Flags Over Georgia's forgotten dark ride, Tales of the Okefenokee.
https://youtu.be/rghHLkqVE0A
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Yes I have ! The video popped up the other day. Absolutely fascinating; especially when Tony Baxter said he had indeed ridden the ride before; that must 100% have been where he got his inspiration from.
blackcauldron85

I had absolutely no idea that it was (unconsciously) based on an existing ride. But now I wonder if other theme parks have flume animatronic rides...

Just doing a quick Google search brings up Timber Mountain Log Ride at Knott's Berry Farm; the flume opened in 1969, but was refurbished with more animatronics in 2013.

While the original ride contained just 15 animatronic figures, the refurbished attraction will soon feature 54 fully-animated characters, all new background drops, updated foliage, lighting, and a fresh, crisper soundscape. -thedowneypatriot.com