Cruella (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Re: Cruella (Live-Action)

Post by Mooky »

Something in the article Sotiris posted irks me:
Estella (Cruella De Vil) lives on the streets of 1980’s London with other hoodlums, where we learn the real origins behind Estella’s hatred of Dalmatians. Production on the film is expected to begin at the end of the year but as of right now, there is no release date set for Cruella.
Another misconception, I hope it's just something made up by the article's writer and not an official synopsis. Cruella doesn't hate dogs, she just likes fur and lacks empathy.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

That's right! Hopefully it is just the writer of that article messing up.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

If they did the back story as Once Upon A Time did, I'd be more than happy. I thought that one was absolutely brilliant, and a brilliant introduction to the character.
Khonnor
Special Edition

Post by Khonnor »

Atlantica wrote:If they did the back story as Once Upon A Time did, I'd be more than happy. I thought that one was absolutely brilliant, and a brilliant introduction to the character.
I believe it was one of the best episodes of that show even.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

I stopped watching OUAT mid-season 2, what was Cruella's backstory on the show?
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Mooky wrote:I stopped watching OUAT mid-season 2, what was Cruella's backstory on the show?
That she is a psychopath who killed her father when she was a young girl. She also has the power to make animals to do whatever she wants.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Anyway I don't see how what OUAT did would fit if the movie is a prequel of the 1996 film. Cruella in the 1996 film didn't murder her father and she didn't have any magical powers.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

This is the basic wikipedia outline :

A childhood sociopath, Cruella poisoned her father and two stepfathers. Her mother Madeline (Anna Galvin) kept her locked inside the house to prevent her from harming others. As an adult, she met Isaac (the Author) (Patrick Fischler), who was posing as a regular journalist; through him, she learned that her world, a perpetual 1920s England, was one of many. Smitten with her, the Author gave her the power to control animals. Cruella used the new power to have her mother's dalmatians kill her, and killed them and made their fur into a coat. In a struggle to prevent the Author from writing another note about her, the vial of magic ink spills on her causing her blonde hair to turn into the iconic black and white. However, the pen had a remnant of ink in it, which the Author used to write down a note that would, from there on, prevent Cruella from taking another life. "Cruella De Vil can no longer take away the life of another." Cruella kept this secret, as intimidation would still work for her needs.

The episode, as a standalone is deffo worth a watch.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

The episode was definitely one of the standout ones considering that it broke the formula that OUAT used for practically every other character. By Season 4B, that formula had really gotten stale. I remember I was half tuned out during the Cruella episode because I expected something like Ursula's backstory, where she's really good and is manipulated or tricked into turning evil, so the final twist was incredibly refreshing.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Yes, the episode was loved for breaking the sob story norm. I've always liked Wicked-esque twists when done right (the key point), but I also think they've been doing it for a while and the public would enjoy a straight-up villain again. They can give the character depth or turn her into a semi-tragic figure without making her a misunderstood hero.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

We have learned that the house of mouse is interested in Nicole Kidman for the role of the “Baroness,” who is described as an antagonist to Cruella and is pivotal to her rise as the classic Disney villain. We can also share that Emma Thompson, Charlize Theron, Juliane Moore, and Demi Moore, are also on Disney’s radar for the role.

As of now, the script is still being worked but the studio is ready to get this production ready for a July/August start. I, Tonya director, Craig Gillespie replaced long-attached Alex Timbers as director of the film. Timbers ran into scheduling issues so had to leave the project. The Favorite screenwriter Tony McNamara has been brought on to rewrite the script.
Source: http://thathashtagshow.com/2019/03/08/e ... -mcnamara/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

The film has great director and screenwriter. I'm hopeful about this, especially if Disney allow this to be an adult piece.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I like all those actresses so I would love any of them although I think Nicole Kidman would be the best fit for the role. I just hope they don't push all the blame of Cruella's villainy on the Baroness.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

It seems they're assembling a great cast and crew for this movie.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

They had better not have the villainy fall on the Baroness. Disney...if you say no one is born evil, and then you just make someone else evil turn them evil...that's still saying the other person was born evil.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I hope Nicole Kidman takes the part.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney is looking to get production kicked off on their live-action 101 Dalmatians prequel tentatively titled Cruella, starring Emma Stone in the title role. According to a trusted source, the studio is interested in Slumdog Millionaire star Dev Patel. It is unclear have talks between Patel and Disney have begun, but he is high on their list.

If Patel signs he would take on the role of “Raj” aka Roger. Fans of the animated 101 Dalmatians and the 90’s live-action remake, know Roger as the owner of Pongo, who helps Roger meet and fall in love with his wife Anita. Other classic characters from 101 Dalmatians expected to appear in the film include Cruella’s bumbling henchmen Jasper and Horace, and we hear the studio is looking for an African American actor for the role of Jasper.

Last month it was revealed that Aquaman star Nicole Kidman is Disney’s top choice for the role of the “Baroness,” an antagonist to Cruella who’s thought to be pivotal in her transformation to the villain we know today. Though Kidman appears to be the favorite, the outlet also states she isn’t the only big name who’s still in this race, with Emma Thompson, Charlize Theron, Julianne Moore, and Demi Moore all believed to be in the running for the role.

Production on the project is expected to begin this summer. I, Tonya director Craig Gillespie will helm the project from a script from Tony McNamara (The Favorite). The script is still being worked on. The studio was hoping to lock down a 2020 release it has not been confirmed if that has changed as of yet.
Source: https://hnentertainment.co/exclusive-de ... ssic-role/
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I didn't expect Roger would appear in the movie. Are they going to show Roger and Anita already meeting here, even though this is a prequel?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

That's definitely a head scratcher. Anita was Cruella's schoolmate. Cruella didn't know Roger until he married Anita. If anyone should be featured in the movie, it's Anita, not Roger. Either the report is wrong and Raj is an original character and not Roger or Disney's changing the story and not maintaining continuity to the 1996 live-action film. I fear it's the latter.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:Either the report is wrong and Raj is an original character and not Roger or Disney's changing the story and not maintaining continuity to the 1996 live-action film. I fear it's the latter.
Yeah, knowing Disney, it could very well be the latter.