Bao (Pixar Short)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Bao (Pixar Short)

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Funko is releasing a super-cute Bao Pop:
http://www.slashfilm.com/funko-bao-figure/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I wish they would have let her make it in 2D. Pixar has dabbled in 2D animation before, most notably with Day & Night, so it's not like they don't have the resources to pull it off. The style and design of her concept fits better with hand-drawn animation than with CG. It would have felt more organic and natural than it does now.
Shi doesn’t look like other Pixar directors — just 28 years old, she’s not white, nor male — but her short “Bao” fits beautifully into the studio’s oeuvre, and the company’s so-called Brain Trust so loved one of her other original ideas that they’ve invited her to develop it into a feature.

Not bad for a semi-recent Sheridan College grad who was selected for a 2011 story internship at Pixar, then hired on to work as a story artist on “Inside Out.” You can see her contributions in the scenes where Joy drags Sadness through the mind, and when the characters first meet Bing Bong.

Two years into the job, Shi started developing “Bao” as a possible hand-drawn, Miyazaki-style short she intended to made on the side. At one point, Shi approached “Inside Out” director Pete Docter for advice, and he encouraged her to pitch “Bao” as an official Pixar short, insisting that she fight to keep trhe twist.

“I wanted to do a modern fairy tale, like ‘The Little Gingerbread Man,’ but a Chinese version,” says Shi, who was inspired by her upbringing as an only child raised by immigrant parents in Toronto. In “Bao,” a mother wrestling with empty-next anxieties hatches a fantasy in which one of her handmade dumplings comes to life. “Food is how my mom expressed her love to me. In Chinese culture, you don’t say, ‘I love you.’ You say, ‘Have you eaten yet? You look skinny! Eat more!’”

Even after the project was greenlit, Shi spent her days doing storyboards for “Toy Story 4,” devoting nights and weekends to working on “Bao.” The short premiered last month at the Tribeca Film Festival and will be attached to “The Incredibles 2” in June, but Shi is already hard at work on her next project: Last fall, she was invited to pitch three feature projects. One got the go-ahead, putting Shi on the path blazed by Peter Sohn, who went from making “Partly Cloudy” to directing “The Good Dinosaur” at Pixar.

Shi credits Docter (who executive produced “Bao”) with being her champion at what has proven to be her dream job. “He’s been kind of like our fairy godfather,” Shi says.
Source: http://variety.com/gallery/10-animators ... /domee-shi
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

So her initial idea was to make the short in 2D and on her own. Well, it's great for her that her pitch was picked by Pixar because it will get more attention as a Pixar short, but it's a shame she couldn't do it in traditional animation.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

That's what I've been saying all along. But of course, they'd rather release a subpar product, design-wise, than even entertain the idea of making it in 2D.
Shi reported that she was particularly influenced by Japanese animation, like My Neighbors the Yamadas, as she gathered up examples of animation styles as references for animation supervisor Juan Carlos Navarro. “I loved how squishy their character looked, and how pushed their expressions are,” she says. “We drew inspiration mostly from 2D animation, which became a challenge in 3D because of how big the characters’ heads are, and how exaggerated their limbs are.”

But, says Shi, as they were going into animation, they soon realized that some of the expressions that worked well in 2D were not right for 3D at all. “3D is its own medium,” she explains. “Design elements that might look good on paper look really strange when you turn them into 3D shapes. Cartoony eyeballs look like they’re popping out of a character’s head. And so we really had to work closely with the animators and modelers to translate our designs into 3D.
Source: https://www.awn.com/animationworld/firs ... ical-short
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Disney has uploaded the short's score to Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuIPZmqq4L4
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Pixar has released the entire short online: https://twitter.com/DisneyPixar/status/ ... 8082328577
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:Pixar has released the entire short online: https://twitter.com/DisneyPixar/status/ ... 8082328577
Thanks for posting! They uploaded it on YouTube too. I really liked it and I don't usually like Pixar shorts. It was funny, and heartfelt, and disturbing! :lol: It felt more indie than Pixar. My only issue was with the character designs which didn't translate well in CG resulting in some off-putting imagery. Had they made the short in 2D the designs wouldn't have been a problem. Hand-drawn animation would have been perfect for this, especially considering it was Ghibli-inspired. It's the most suitable medium for the director's chosen style and aesthetic. And it's not like Pixar hasn't produced 2D shorts in the past. It's a shame Pixar didn't let her make it in 2D like she originally planned. What happened to choosing the medium that serves the story best and not the other way around? What happened to being a director-driven studio? Oh, well.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:It was funny, and heartfelt, and disturbing! :lol:
:lol: When I saw it for the first time, I was shocked when she ate the dumpling. I thought: How on earth are they going to solve this and still give the short a happy ending? I didn't see the twist coming. And even after it was revealed, it took me a moment to understand what was happening. I also liked it a lot. I think it's one of my favorite Pixar shorts from the latest years. I love the metaphor with the dumpling, the relatable characters, and the humor. Adolescent Bao was hilarious. But I agree that the animation style was definitely more suited for 2D. It's a shame the director wasn't allowed to do it the way she clearly wanted.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:When I saw it for the first time, I was shocked when she ate the dumpling.
Me too! It reminded me of the moment where Mrs. Bunny snapped and baked the moth into the carrot cake in Blue Sky Studios' short "Bunny".
D82 wrote:I think it's one of my favorite Pixar shorts from the latest years. I love the metaphor with the dumpling, the relatable characters, and the humor. Adolescent Bao was hilarious.
Agreed. Watching Bao made me more excited to see what Domee Shi cooks up (pun intended :P) for her first feature-film at Pixar. By the way, she started posting production artwork from Bao on her Instagram account.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:Watching Bao made me more excited to see what Domee Shi cooks up (pun intended :P) for her first feature-film at Pixar.
It made me more excited for it too.
Sotiris wrote:By the way, she started posting production artwork from Bao on her Instagram account.
Thanks! I didn't know her Instagram account. Some time ago I also found this short featurette, but I didn't post it.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

It seems Bao will only be available online until this Sunday, so if you haven't seen it yet, do it before it's too late!
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Pixar has released a behind-the-scenes featurette: https://twitter.com/DisneyPixar/status/ ... 6124215296
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Celebrate Lunar New Year With Behind-The-Scenes Fun From Pixar’s “Bao”
https://www.laughingplace.com/w/news/20 ... ixars-bao/