The Nightmare Before Christmas 2?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: The Nightmare Before Christmas 2?

Post by Sotiris »

I'd prefer a live-action remake 'cause it'll be easier to ignore if it sucks whereas that's harder to do with a canonical sequel.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I'm sure a live-action remake of this is inevitable. I'm guessing they don't require Tim Burton's permission or anything like that.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Stop-motion sequel, YES PLEASE!
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Do you know what I think would do well? A seasonal "Nightmare Before Christmas" Broadway musical, not unlike the seasonal "Grinch" stage musical. I think doing it as a stage show, they can get away with translating the characters better than a live-action movie would, using makeup and costumes for some characters (Sally, Jack, Oogie Boogie) and puppets for others. There are a lot of creative things they can do and I think Danny Elfman's music and songs lend themselves well to the stage. I think it would be popular with both NBC fans and theatre nerds.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

:roll: Do we really need this? Are people desperate to see Jack Skellington turned into some big-headed fetish monstrosity like Burton's Alice in Wonderland characters?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

estefan wrote:Do you know what I think would do well? A seasonal "Nightmare Before Christmas" Broadway musical, not unlike the seasonal "Grinch" stage musical. I think doing it as a stage show, they can get away with translating the characters better than a live-action movie would, using makeup and costumes for some characters (Sally, Jack, Oogie Boogie) and puppets for others. There are a lot of creative things they can do and I think Danny Elfman's music and songs lend themselves well to the stage. I think it would be popular with both NBC fans and theatre nerds.
I doubt Disney would ever lend the property to NBC though. I remember they had plans for a live Little Mermaid musical on ABC (or Freeform, can't remember which channel now) but they fell through. Could adapt those plans for a Nightmare one.
ImageImage
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

NBC = Nightmare Before Christmas :wink:

But reading my post again, I can understand the confusion with that acronym now.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

I must say...I really really want a sequel...although I'm fully aware it won't hold a candle to the inevitable superior original. But as clearly stated by Burton I don't hold my hopes up...and should he or better yet Henry Sellick choose not to be involved it's a hard pass for me
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

All that I hope what this is is a stage musical or maybe another spin off video game or comic book. As far as live action reboot or sequel is concerned, "No."

And if they were doing a reboot, what "problems" would they fix this time? Explain how Jack was able to get up through the tree back to Halloween Town? Was there some kind of barrier between Halloween Town and the Real World he needed to cross so he can deliver the presents? Will Jack upright say out loud that he isn't a bad person even though he made it clear in the song after his disastrous outing in the original that he meant no harm? And most importantly, will they explain what Oogie Boogie meant by "double dead" when Jack was undead to begin with?

See? It takes away from the magic and sounds pretty stupid, doesn't it?
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

The sad thing is...I think you just nailed that story...that's got Disney's mo written all over it...Still..I crave for more Jack Skellington...
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

estefan wrote:NBC = Nightmare Before Christmas :wink:

But reading my post again, I can understand the confusion with that acronym now.
Oops lol. My bad.
ImageImage
Sotiris

Re: The Nightmare Before Christmas 20th anniversary

Post by Sotiris »

The film is getting a sequel in the form of a novel.

Source: https://twitter.com/DisneyD23/status/14 ... 1760547842
The novel sees a happily married Sally and Jack get their lives momentarily turned upside down when Sally accidentally lets loose a mysterious villain in Halloween Town. With Jack and the entire holiday world itself in peril, Sally goes on a quest to the other holiday worlds—including one previously unexplored—as the Pumpkin Queen, uncovering secrets about how to save the world and wrestle with new discoveries about her past life.
Source: https://gizmodo.com/nightmare-before-ch ... 1846279355
blackcauldron85

Re: The Nightmare Before Christmas 20th anniversary

Post by blackcauldron85 »

^ Yes!!! Ooh, that excites me!! I think it's the next best thing to getting a sequel film. I like Sally, and I definitely think she's worthy of having the spotlight.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Henry Selick on the Possibility of Making 'The Nightmare Before Christmas' Shorts Based on the Film
He also talks about why a 'Nightmare' sequel won't happen.
https://collider.com/the-nightmare-befo ... -comments/
Disney's Divinity

I'm glad he and Burton have rejected any attempts to make a sequel that's 3D instead of stop-motion. I could definitely see shorts for this film considering all the miscellaneous characters in the background as well as (as the article mentions) the other holiday doors.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

‘Nightmare Before Christmas': Chris Sarandon on the Possibility of a Sequel
https://collider.com/nightmare-before-c ... -comments/
Disney's Divinity

I would love a sequel, but I have a feeling it wouldn't live up to all the high expectations for most people. For myself, I'd still like one to happen because even if it's not great, I could still separate it from the original, but I can already imagine most people would be disappointed and there would be a lot of complaining.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The Nightmare Before Christmas Director and Star Discuss Prequel Ideas and More as Movie Turns 30
https://people.com/nightmare-before-chr ... ve-8357661

Tim Burton Doesn’t Want Sequels Or A Reboot For The Nightmare Before Christmas: ‘Get Off Of My Land!’
https://www.empireonline.com/movies/new ... exclusive/
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

^^^ Chris Sarandon is 81 years old???

I’m actually really surprised this hasn’t been earmarked for the live action remake treatment. I don’t think it was a blockbuster when it came out, but from a merchandising perspective alone, the movie is a gold mine. Maybe it’s more Disney+, though? But maybe the budget to film it would be cost prohibitive for a D+ flick?

It’s been so integrated under the Disney umbrella I often forget it was originally released under the Touchstone banner.