Mary Poppins Returns

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
D82
Signature Collection

Re: Mary Poppins Returns

Post by D82 »

ABC has now confirmed that all the nominated songs will be performed in the show, but they still haven't revealed who will sing "The Place Where Lost Things Go":
Oscar winner Jennifer Hudson will perform "I'll Fight" from RBG (music and lyric by Diane Warren); nominees Gillian Welch and David Rawlings will be welcomed to the stage to sing "When a Cowboy Trades His Spurs for Wings” from THE BALLAD OF BUSTER SCRUGGS (music and lyric by David Rawlings and Gillian Welch); Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga are set to perform "Shallow" from A STAR IS BORN (music and lyric by Lady Gaga, Mark Ronson, Anthony Rossomando and Andrew Wyatt) and a special surprise guest has been tapped to perform "The Place Where Lost Things Go" from MARY POPPINS RETURNS (music by Marc Shaiman; lyric by Scott Wittman and Marc Shaiman).
Source: https://oscar.go.com/news/oscar-news/os ... -announced

By the way, Disney has now uploaded the song clip to Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESsjRYWtSjM
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

So, it is confirmed that it's not Emily Blunt. I think it will be Richard Sherman or Julie Andrews.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Why would Richard sing a song he didn't even write or Julie a song from a film she had nothing to do with? It doesn't make any sense. I'm thinking it's most likely another actress from the film. Could it be Emily Mortimer or Angela Lansbury? Maybe it's Karen Dotrice so they'll have a connection to the original.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^I think it can't be Emily Mortimer. She said in interviews that she can't sing and that's why she was only given two lines in the film to sing, but it would be possible it was Angela Lansbury. I'd love it if she was the surprise guest.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

disneyprincess11 wrote: Yeah, I feel bad for Emily. The Academy always cuts her down. I think she should have been nominated for The Devil Wears Prada and not Meryl Steep. I loved her performance in that!
...What? Meryl Streep was fabulous in TDWP. Blunt was good, too, but Streep was by far the star.

Anyway, I'm glad Gaga helped to get performances for everything, particularly JHUD, although it's disrespectful when they limit the time. Best case scenario is Lansbury or Andrews as the performer.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:Speaking of the film's songs, though I still like them, I think I don't find them as good now as I did at first. At least, I haven't been listening to them much lately. But, I don't know, maybe it's just that I did it too much at first and I got tired of them. Or most likely, it's a result of being quite disappointed with the movie, given that it's more or less after I saw it that I stopped listening to the soundtrack.
Most of the songs were enjoyable but nowhere near as good as the songs of the original. The songwriters were unable to reach the musicality, exuberance, and wit of the Sherman Brothers' work but I suppose that's too high a bar for anyone. They made a respectable effort though.
D82 wrote:If I had to rank the songs, I think I would do it more or less like this:

1. Nowhere to Go But Up
2. Can You Imagine That?
3. (Underneath the) Lovely London Sky
4. The Place Where Lost Things Go
5. Trip a Little Light Fantastic
6. A Cover Is Not the Book
7. A Conversation
8. The Royal Doulton Music Hall
9. Turning Turtle
Here's my ranking (excluding reprises):

01. Can You Imagine That
Catchy, upbeat, and jubilant enhanced by a great performance. The instrumental version found in the overture is also great.

02. Nowhere to Go But Up
Uplifting and memorable. Including an instrumental sample of "Let's Go Fly a Kite" was a nice touch. It reminded me of "Human Again" in certain places.

03. (Underneath the) Lovely London Sky
Simple and melodic with a nostalgic tinge, hampered by the vocals. I recommend listening to the French, Italian, Spanish or Portuguese version whose singers are much better and help improve the song.

04. A Conversation
Intimate and affecting that heavily relies on a performer's acting chops. Ben did a great job with it.

05. Turning Turtle
Fun, funny, and outrageous. Meryl keeps surprising me with her range.

06. The Place Where Lost Things Go
Pleasant but bland and forgettable.

07. The Royal Doulton Music Hall
A decent but unremarkable entry.

08. Trip a Little Light Fantastic
Overlong, tedious, and derivative.

09. A Cover Is Not the Book
Plain horrible. Obnoxious, ostentatious, and tasteless. And there's anachronistic, self-indulgent rapping in it. Need I say more?
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:Most of the songs were enjoyable but nowhere near as good as the songs of the original. The songwriters were unable to reach the musicality, exuberance, and wit of the Sherman Brothers' work but I suppose that's too high a bar for anyone. They made a respectable effort though.
Well, yes, I agree. Considering that living up to the original movie's music was such a difficult task, they still did a decent job.
Sotiris wrote:02. Nowhere to Go But Up
Uplifting and memorable. Including an instrumental sample of "Let's Go Fly a Kite" was a nice touch. It reminded me of "Human Again" in certain places.
It reminded me of "Human Again" too! But I think it's different enough from it. I also liked the "Let's Go Fly a Kite" reference, and Angela Lansbury gave a great musical performance.
Disney's Divinity

I'd rank them as:

1. "Nowhere to Go But Up"
2. "Can You Imagine That?"
3. "Turning Turtle"
4. "A Cover Is Not the Book"
5. "Trip a Little Light Fantastic"
6. "The Place Where Lost Things Go"
7. "(Underneath the) Lovely London Sky"

I actually didn't outright dislike any of the songs? TPWLTG will probably have more impact once I see the movie, but it's sort of lilting and just...there. I still plan to pick up the soundtrack. It's not a priority though, so I'll wait until I can catch it at a lower price.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
I actually didn't outright dislike any of the songs? TPWLTG will probably have more impact once I see the movie, but it's sort of lilting and just...there. I still plan to pick up the soundtrack. It's not a priority though, so I'll wait until I can catch it at a lower price.
Honestly, even though I watched the movie, I have no memory of TPWLTG so its impact seemed to be quite minimal, on me at least. All the other songs I remember, but this one I don't even remember what scene it occurred in.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:
Disney's Divinity wrote:
Honestly, even though I watched the movie, I have no memory of TPWLTG so its impact seemed to be quite minimal, on me at least. All the other songs I remember, but this one I don't even remember what scene it occurred in.
It was after they were in the Royal Doulton bowl, when the kids were in bed, missing their mom.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Watching the first film again the other day, it grated on me how Bert is in the film SO much more than Mary is ... for some reason, it was driving me to distraction. He sings more songs, has more screen time. I know he was the much bigger star at the time, but blimey it gets so irritating ! I want more of Mary, and for her to take the lead with things.

It's the same sort of feeling that I have whilst watching Cinderella when there is a vast amount of screen time dedicated to the mice and Lucifer; I just want to have more focus on the heroine of the story !

I know the story isn't essentially about Mary, it's how she comes and saves the day, but it certainly isn't all about Bert either, which is how it feels whilst watching it now.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

blackcauldron85 wrote:
It was after they were in the Royal Doulton bowl, when the kids were in bed, missing their mom.
Oh, I remember now. That was the scene where a lot of people left to go to the bathroom so I think I remembered that more than anything about the actual song lol.
ImageImage
BuddyBeaver

Post by BuddyBeaver »

I was just listening to the original MP soundtrack the other night, and realized that Bert does what amounts to an early form of 'rap' in Jolly Holiday ('Priscilla a treat' etc)...I remember people having very mixed reactions about Jack doing essentially the same thing during 'Cover Is Not The Book'. Interesting how that works. I'd forgotten all about the DVD bit, probably because it flows so naturally. LMM's is a bit more pronounced/stylistically jarring, I suppose.

It was yet another reminder of just how much they'd drawn from the original well -- way too much, IMO, and the movie suffers for it -- though Disney isn't exactly know for taking risks with a successful formula (take Bedknobs, for instance).
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Atlantica, I don't mean to get too off-topic, but that is so true about Walt's Cinderella. It needed to give more time to the heroine and less to the mice and cat. That is one way in which I think the remake made an improvement.

Yes, BuddyBeaver, the rapping Bert does in Mary Poppins still isn't the type of rapping Jack does and Lin's style of rapping did bother me a little.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

IT’S BETTE MIDLER :D

Sotrisis, you can breathe now!
So, (drum roll) Ladies and Gentlemen, I will be chanteusing (that's singing) on the Oscars on Feb 24...the nominated song from "Mary Poppins"..."The Place Where Lost Things Go" ...so excited!!
https://twitter.com/bettemidler/status/ ... 40416?s=21
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Well, that was completely out of the blue. I'm guessing she was chosen because of her previous work with the songwriters. I like Bette so I welcome the news.
Disney's Divinity

I love Bette, so that's one more thing to look forward for at the Oscars this year
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I love Bette too so I'm looking forward to this. Would love to see her in something else Disney related soon too!
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Well that was an unexpected choice! But a great one!
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

This and the Best Song not being performed debacle just shows how annoying some of you are, and how your Lin hate was unwarranted. He ended up not having anything to do with either situation.