Encanto

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Encanto

Post by disneyprincess11 »

YAY!
Though Miranda's work on Moana was only announced last summer, he secretly spent years on the project: Indeed, Disney chief creative officer John Lasseter and Moana directors John Musker and Ron Clements hired him before Hamilton became a hit. All involved are keen to continue the collaboration, and when Miranda sat down with Vulture yesterday, he divulged that he's now collaborating with Zootopia co-director Byron Howard on a new animated film they are building from the ground up.

"That's the fun thing about working with someone and having it go well — you go, 'Okay, what else can we do?'" Miranda told Vulture. "Lasseter took me aside and said, 'I have an idea: Here's Byron, and you guys should start talking.'" Though he was excited, Miranda couldn't say much else about the project, except to caution that it could take years to bear fruit, given the glacial pace of animated production. "We literally haven't gotten in the room yet," he said, "but we're plotting."
http://www.vulture.com/2016/11/lin-manu ... um=twitter
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Untitled Byron Howard/Lin Manuel-Miranda Movie

Post by Sotiris »

I thought Byron would be busy developing Zootopia 2. I guess this means a sequel has yet to be put into active development. I'm guessing they'll do it in 2018, after Rich Moore finishes production on Wreck-It Ralph 2. Chris Buck and Jennifer Lee were also working on a new movie but when the studio announced Frozen 2, they had to drop it to focus on the sequel.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Sotiris wrote:I thought Byron would be busy developing Zootopia 2. I guess this means a sequel has yet to be put into active development. I'm guessing they'll do it in 2018, after Rich Moore finishes production on Wreck-It Ralph 2. Chris Buck and Jennifer Lee were also working on a new movie but when the studio announced Frozen 2, they had to drop it to focus on the sequel.
So, it looks like the 2020's will be:

-Frozen 2???
-Zootopia 2
-Buck/Lee movie
-Byron Howard/Lin Manuel-Miranda Movie
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

My ALL our future WDAS projects be addressed!
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I wonder if Howard will keep Miranda restrained here like he did Menken on Tangled? Somehow I don’t think Miranda’ll be treated the same. I was hoping Howard and that other guy would stay on non-musicals because they seemed to hate having to have musical numbers in Tangled.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Byron Howard and Jared Bush visited the Animation Research Library to do research for the musical movie. It seems Jared Bush has come on board as writer and co-director.
Byron Howard wrote:Currently working on secret musical things.
Source: https://i.imgur.com/A3NZJpL.jpg
Jared Bush wrote:Currently working on secret things I can't talk about...yet.
Source: https://i.imgur.com/7311AOh.jpg
Byron Howard: With Jared Bush and Michael Hebert deep in Disney's Animation Research Library... doing research!

Q: I hope you're doing research for you know what. [Zootopia 2]

Byron Howard: Nope.
Source: https://twitter.com/ByronPHoward/status ... 2273404928
Byron Howard wrote:With Jared Bush and Fox Carney at Disney’s Animation Research Library...Actual The Jungle Book backgrounds!
Source: https://twitter.com/ByronPHoward/status ... 7516218369
Jared Bush wrote:Doing a little research at Disney archives with Byron Howard and figured... since we’re here we might as well weasel a look at some original art from Jungle Book because it’s the first animated movie I ever saw.
Source: https://twitter.com/thejaredbush/status ... 2425620480
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Interesting. :-) Love Howard's terse "Nope."
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Yes, really interesting. They were doing research at the Saludos Amigos and The Three Caballeros section, and also Lin-Manuel Miranda, who is doing the music, is of Puerto Rican descent. I wonder if that might mean the movie they are working on is set in South America.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

And a couple days later, Lin and his Hamilton collaborator posted this. Interesting.

https://twitter.com/LacketyLac/status/9 ... 1205524480
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

FIRST LATINA PRINCESS :D :D :D
It is now conceivable that the porcelain princesses Cinderella, Snow White and the “Frozen” leading ladies could be dethroned — “Hamilton” creator Lin-Manuel Miranda is in talks with Disney about co-writing an animated musical featuring a young Latina heroine.

Amid much debate about the lack of diverse lead roles in Hollywood, particularly in the animated genre, Miranda is talking to Disney about a follow-up to its 2016 smash hit “Moana.”

Miranda’s father, Luis, exclusively told Page Six, “He is talking to Disney about a sequel to ‘Moana,’ but the movie would be about a Latina princess.”

Miranda was a music co-writer on “Moana,” which boasted the monster hits “How Far I’ll Go” and “You’re Welcome.”

Reps for Disney didn’t immediately get back to us.
https://pagesix.com/2019/01/21/lin-manu ... -princess/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Well, it's about time! How is it a sequel to Moana though if it's about a Latina princess? Will there be some sort of connection to Moana? Will the films exist in the same universe or was his father just confused?
Miranda’s father, Luis, exclusively told Page Six, “He is talking to Disney about a sequel to ‘Moana,’ but the movie would be about a Latina princess.”
Source: https://pagesix.com/2019/01/21/lin-manu ... -princess/
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I think it's just a "spiritual" follow up to Moana and they mistook it for a sequel. I don't think there'll be a sequel to Moana without John Musker.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Perhaps it would be very loosely connected to the Moana universe. Sort of like something in the far distant future with little connection to the people of her island.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

Maybe they just meant it figuratively. Bc he wrote the music from Moana and such. Journalists always make vague.

I still wonder how the fuck are they gonna make a "latina princess", considering latin countries never had proper royalty post the Spanish conquista, yet Disney and other gringos think the times of the Mayas / Incas is "unfashionable" since there's no palaces or ballgowns. Not like Americans or Latino-Americans know about this tho...I wouldn't be surprised if they take the Elena of Avalor route and actual latinos end up disliking it for how inaccurate it is, like they did with the Emperor's New Groove.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I think it's safe to say they'll make up a kingdom and/or country that's going to be an hodgepodge of various Central and South American countries, cultures, and eras, just like they did with Moana and Elena of Avalor.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Well then, fuck that shit. That's not authentic representation. Go tell a Chilean or a Peruvian about how similar they are, and they'll fucking rip you to shreds. Like, that period Elena of Avalor is set in? It's literally years after the Incas and Aztecs were imprisoned and slaughtered by the Spaniards. The people in power were often the descendants of Spaniards or mixes between the different races (just as long as one was white).
Disney's literally promoting whitewashing and romanticizing a period of slaughtering and caste systems.

But it's asking too much to expect of Americans / Latin-Americans to know about authentic Latin History. :roll:

And if Miranda even thinks about including rap, or claiming how it's "latin"... :angry: And let's not even get into reggeaton, which is latin but is just trashy and terrible on all accounts.

Sad, honestly, I thought they had learnt something with Coco.

What, disneyprincess, you think I'm being a smart aleck now, or is this not a reason to get upset with Disney like the Quasimodo thing?
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

thedisneyspirit wrote:I still wonder how the fuck are they gonna make a "latina princess", considering latin countries never had proper royalty post the Spanish conquista, yet Disney and other gringos think the times of the Mayas / Incas is "unfashionable" since there's no palaces or ballgowns. Not like Americans or Latino-Americans know about this tho...I wouldn't be surprised if they take the Elena of Avalor route and actual latinos end up disliking it for how inaccurate it is, like they did with the Emperor's New Groove.
The same way they were able to have a black American princess -- have her marry visiting royalty.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

thedisneyspirit wrote:And if Miranda even thinks about including rap, or claiming how it's "latin"... :angry:
Of course there's going to be rapping involved with LMM writing and possibly starring in the film. You better start making your peace with that now.
tsom wrote:The same way they were able to have a black American princess -- have her marry visiting royalty.
I don't think they'll go with that route again. I remember people criticizing the fact that Tiana wasn't a princess by birth (among the many criticisms hurled at the film). In the age of social media and outrage culture such a choice would be heavily scrutinized. I highly doubt Disney will ever make another princess by marriage, to be honest.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Umm... The movie is barely in pre production...so I don't get how it's criticized at this point when we literally don't know anything about it except that LMM and Byron Howard are involved and it's about a Latin "Disney Princess" (remember Disney Princesses don't actually have to have ballgowns or even be princesses).
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

It's alright, faberb, you can name me.

Please, as if Disney isn't lazy and won't do the bare minimum to make their movies. This'll basically be Elena of Avalor: The Movie with a Higher Budget. Plus remember how Disney is completely driven by marketing, and Pocahontas is the princess which sells the least dolls. Another pre-columbian indigenous princess simply won't do for poor little Disney's marketing sales. They'll force her into another poofy dress because that's what sells.