Oscar for Best Animated Feature 2018

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Re: Oscar for Best Animated Feature 2018

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Lol, very pleased to see that WIR2 didn't even garner a nomination.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

It's a competitive year and frankly, those three are a great lineup for the BATFAS. I haven't seen Isle of Dogs yet, but it looks great
JeanGreyForever wrote:Lol, very pleased to see that WIR2 didn't even garner a nomination.
:roll:
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

The nominations for the Movie Guide Awards are out. Update: The Grinch won in the category.

Best Movies for Families

Dr. Seuss' The Grinch
God’s Not Dead: A Light in Darkness
I Can Only Imagine
Incredibles 2
Mary Poppins Returns
Paddington 2
Paul, Apostle of Christ
Peter Rabbit
Ralph Breaks the Internet
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

The nominations for the Visual Effects Society Awards are out. Update: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse won in the category.

Outstanding Visual Effects in an Animated Feature

Dr. Seuss' The Grinch
Incredibles 2
Isle of Dogs

The nominations for the Motion Picture Sound Editors Golden Reel Awards are out. Update: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse won in the category.

Feature Film — Animation

Dr. Seuss' The Grinch
Incredibles 2
Isle of Dogs
Peter Rabbit
Smallfoot

The nominations for the Harvey Awards are out. Update: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse won in the category.

Best Comics Adaptation

Alita: Battle Angel
Avengers: Endgame
The Boys
Captain Marvel
Chilling Adventures of Sabrina
Doom Patrol
Marvel's Spider-Man
The Snagglepuss Chronicles
The Umbrella Academy
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:Same. I read in an interview that she and her daughter both share a love for Disney movies and that this in part inspired her role as Cruella.
I didn't know that. Now I like her even more. It's great then that she had the opportunity to work for the company in the 101 Dalmatians remake and its sequel and as the voice of Kala in Tarzan. She did a great job with both characters, by the way.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse won the Golden Tomato for Best-Reviewed Animated Movie of 2018.

Source: https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/rt ... v-of-2018/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The Oscar nominations are out. Grandpa Walrus was robbed! :x I'm disappointed Ruben Brandt, Collector and Bird Karma didn't make it in their respective categories. :( Mirai is the first non-Ghibli anime film nominated for Best Animated Feature and the sixth one overall. This is the first time in Oscar history where three animated shorts with Asian leads and by Asian filmmakers were nominated in the same year (Bao, One Small Step, Weekends).

Best Animated Feature

Incredibles 2
Isle of Dogs
Mirai

Best Animated Short

Animal Behavior
Bao
Late Afternoon
One Small Step
Weekends
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^Well, at least Mirai was nominated and there weren't only American mainstream movies in the animated feature category.

I'm glad Bao was nominated for best animated short. I thought Grandpa Walrus would be nominated as well, but I think the nominees are quite acceptable.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

I just finished Isle of Dogs tonight and it was absolutely beautiful! One of my favorites for sure, even though it was a bit hard for me as a dog lover to watch.

Thrilled that One Small Step got in!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The winners for the Annie Awards have been announced. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse swept the Annies by winning in every category it was nominated, including Best Animated Feature. Mirai won Best Animated Independent Feature, Weekends won Best Animated Short while Mary Poppins Returns won Best Animated Special Production and Best Character Animation in a Live Action Production. Incredibles 2 won Best Music and Best Storyboarding, Ralph Breaks the Internet won Best Animated Effects, and Isle of Dogs won Best Voice Acting. You can check the rest of the categories, here.

Source: https://twitter.com/SpiderVerse/status/ ... 1960084480
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Congrats to all indeed! :) :clap: Bryan Cranson deserved Best Voice Acting in a Movie, but I was really rooting for Sarah Silverman to win. She really took Vanellope on a journey of growth and identity while Bryan played Chief as your usual drama movie character...which works for ISLE OF DOGS. I was hoping for RBTI to win Character Design as well. RBTI's designs were more creative, but I guess the artistic styles of Spider-Man made their designs pop.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I'm glad Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse won. It seems the animation community really likes it; every time the movie's name was mentioned among the nominees of a category, the audience cheered much more than for the other nominees. I'm also glad the 2D animation in Mary Poppins Returns got some recognition. Overall, I'm quite pleased with this year's picks.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse has won the BAFTA for Best Animated Film.

Source: https://twitter.com/BAFTA/status/1094730732801572864
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse and Bao have won the Oscar for Best Animated Feature and Best Animated Short respectively.

Source: https://twitter.com/TheAcademy/status/1 ... 3530851330

Source: https://twitter.com/TheAcademy/status/1 ... 1749394432
JTurner
Gold Classic Collection

Post by JTurner »

Spiderverse deserved the Oscar. I may not have seen that movie, but I could tell from the start that this was something different and out-of-the-box than what I have been seeing from CG animated films lately. Here's a film that dares to stand on its own and not be just another Pixar copycat. That Ralph Breaks The Internet also proved to be such a colossal disappointment (in my opinion anyway) and that it lost the trophy shows that even the public is getting tired of the same old CG movie over and over again. Bravo to a film for breaking the trend.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I'm really happy with this year' winners in animation. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse and Bao were both my favorites from their respective categories. By the way, Bao is the fifth Pixar short to win at the Oscars.

As for the rest of the awards, as we mentioned Glenn Close here some time ago; it's a shame she still didn't get an Oscar. Although Olivia Colman also gave a fantastic performance in The Favourite, so in my opinion, she was a worthy winner too.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

D82 wrote: As for the rest of the awards, as we mentioned Glenn Close here some time ago; it's a shame she still didn't get an Oscar. Although Olivia Colman also gave a fantastic performance in The Favourite, so in my opinion, she was a worthy winner too.
Same, I was hoping for a win for Glenn Close finally, but I'm really happy with Olivia Colman winning as well, just for the fact that we got to listen to her speech.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

I haven't seen Spider-man yet but its at the top of my Netflix queue, it looks amazing(and dad bod Spidey is kinda hot, lol.) :-P I'm very happy it won the award, though as stated at another forum, even though Disney lost the award, in a way they still won b/c they partly "own" the Spider-man characters with its ties to the MCU and the money they earn from most Spider-man merchandise.

So from what Ive come to understand Spider-man ITSV used a technique very similar to Paperman right? Isn't it ironic that the movie that won the award and finally broke Disney's winning streak used a technique that Disney could have long employed to make an innovative full length feature(feature not shorts) of their own but instead they decided to ignore it and continue with the same old CGI photorealism that theyve been hyping up for years(look how real the water is in Moana! look at the fur in Zootopia!) Not that theyre really going to care as long as their own movies keep making money and theyve got the sequels lined up to make up for the lower performers like RBTI. :roll:
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

Are there any people out there who genuinely disliked Spiderverse? The few who seem uninterested and only focused on Ralph seemed to do it more out of brand loyalty and "Disney is the only good thing out there" limited attitude than genuine criticism of the film.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I haven't seen any dislike for Spiderman. While I enjoyed Spiderman and I'm glad it won the awards since I think it was the best animated film this year, I did enjoy Incredibles 2 more, maybe because I'm interested in the characters. I didn't like Ralph Breaks the Internet, I didn't even like the first one.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

disneyprincess11 wrote:I saw Spider-Man the other night and it indeed deserves the Oscar over Incredibles 2. Incredible animation, strong & pretty mature story, and such good & developed characters!
Finally saw it myself and I couldn't agree more. One of my favorite animated films of the decade, along with Frozen, Zootopia, The Boxtrolls, ParaNorman, Kubo, Toy Story 3, The Lego Movie, Inside Out, Kung Fu Panda 2, HTTYD (the first one only), The Pirates!, Your Name., When Marnie Was There, From up on Poppy Hill, and The Wind Rises. I haven't seen the animated films from this year yet to include them, although I'm guessing several belong in this group, too (Missing Link, Lego Movie: The Second Part, HtTYD3, TS4). There are still a few from the past I wanted to see but still haven't got around to like The Boy and the Beast. And the Digimon Adventure tri. films, although I've heard disappointing things about the latter; maybe it's for the best until I wait for it to be completely done to see them anyway, with no waiting for what happens next. There have been others that have been released that I have a fondness for, even if I wouldn't label them my absolute favorites for the decade: The Lego Batman Movie, Ferdinand, Penguins of Madagascar, Madagascar 3, Coco, Finding Dory, Rise of the Guardians, Kung Fu Panda 3, The Boss Baby, Kingsglaive: FFXV, Moana, The Red Turtle, Mary and the Witch's Flower, The Croods, The Adventures of Tintin, Tangled.

Btw, when I was looking at a list of animated films of the 2010's, I noticed they included The Jungle Book (2016)? :? Is that really considered an animated film? I know that TLK should be, but I thought TJB was a different case.
D82 wrote:I'm glad Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse won.
Me, too. Spider-Verse definitely deserved it over Incredibles 2 which was a disappointment to me. The movie wasn't bad or anything, but it wasn't what I had expected or wanted out of a sequel to The Incredibles. I'm also happy for Into the Spider-Verse's success because it pretty much guarantees not only a sequel to that property, but more films in the same style of animation.
D82 wrote:As for the rest of the awards, as we mentioned Glenn Close here some time ago; it's a shame she still didn't get an Oscar. Although Olivia Colman also gave a fantastic performance in The Favourite, so in my opinion, she was a worthy winner too.
Yes, Glenn Close was robbed. :( I think she has a film coming up in another year that might stand a chance, too, so maybe she'll get one after all. Fingers crossed!
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"