Watched 120 Disney movies in the last 12 months (RANKING)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Khonnor
Special Edition

Watched 120 Disney movies in the last 12 months (RANKING)

Post by Khonnor »

On December 21st 2017 my partner and I watched Snow White and decided to start watching all the movies in chronological order until December 31st 2018.

We decided to limit ourselves to:

57 Disney Animated Classics. (From Snow White until Ralph Breaks The Internet)
33 Disney Animated Sequels.
20 Pixar Animated Movies. (From Toy Story until The Incredibles 2)
10 Live Action/Hybrid Movies & Others.
Total 120 movies.

There were a bunch of these we had never seen yet and a lot we had only seen once during its theatrical release (mainly Pixars).
I also decided to rank the classics and pixars, but not the non-classic sequels.

Due to a 5-week trip to Disney World, we didn't manage the December 31st deadline, but we managed to watch the remaining few this week.

If you guys are interested in could post my rankings list with some commentary on a few of them, because I'm sure some of my opinions will be controversial.
I also hope this is the right place to post something like this, otherwise a moderator should feel free to put in the right spot.

:)

Category: Live Action/Hybrid & Other
1. The Nightmare Before Christmas
2. Frankenweenie
3. Enchanted
4. Bedknobs & Broomsticks
5. The Reluctant Dragon
6. So Dear To My Heart
7. Who Framed Roger Rabbit
8. Mary Poppins
9. Pete's Dragon
10. Song Of The South

Category: Pixar
1. Coco
2. Toy Story 3
3. Monsters Inc.
4. Ratatouille
5. Cars
6. Up
7. Inside Out
8. Brave
9. The Good Dinosaur
10. Cars 3
11. Toy Story 2
12. Finding Nemo
13. Toy Story
14. Wall-E
15. Finding Dory
16. Cars 2
17. A Bug's Life
18. The Incredibles 2
19. The Incredibles
20. Monsters University

Category: Disney Animated Classics
1. Sleeping Beauty
2. The Little Mermaid
3. Beauty And The Beast
4. Lady And The Tramp
5. Pocahontas
6. The Fox And The Hound
7. Tangled
8. Dumbo
9. The Great Mouse Detective
10. The Hunchback Of Notre Dame
11. Big Hero 6
12. The Rescuers
13. Aladdin
14. Lilo & Stitch
15. The Rescuers Down Under
16. Bolt
17. Frozen
18. The Princess And The Frog
19. The Emperor's New Groove
20. 101 Dalmatians
21. Bambi
22. Fun And Fancy Free
23. The Jungle Book
24. Dinosaur
25. Mulan
26. Pinocchio
27. Snow White
28. Tarzan
29. The Lion King
30. Moana
31. Zootopia
32. The Adventures Of Ichabod And Mr. Toad
33. Cinderella
34. The Aristocats
35. Atlantis: The Lost Empire
36. Treasure Planet
37. Wreck-It Ralph
38. Ralph Breaks The Internet
39. Peter Pan
40. Winnie The Pooh
41. The Black Cauldron
42. Oliver & Company
43. Brother Bear
44. Hercules
45. Chicken Little
46. Meet The Robinsons
47. Robin Hood
48. The Many Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh
49. Fantasia 2000
50. Alice In Wonderland
51. Fantasia
52. Make Mine Music
53. Melody Time
54. Home On The Range
55. The Sword In The Stone
56. The Three Caballeros
57. Saludos Amigos

Overall List
Last edited by Khonnor on Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:08 am, edited 11 times in total.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Watched 120 Disney movies in the last 12 months (RANKING

Post by Sotiris »

Go for it! I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts. :)
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

You've got me interested!!!
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Yes, please! I love reading reviews and seeing how people rank Disney films. Looking forward to it!
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Super excited for this! I'd love to read your reviews.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Khonnor
Special Edition

Post by Khonnor »

Great guys!

I'll try to post every Friday when it's my day off. :wave:
Khonnor
Special Edition

Post by Khonnor »

So, I divided all the movies we watched into 4 categories. 1 = Live Action Hybrids & Other. 2 = Pixar Animated Movies. 3 = Disney Animated Classics (US List) and 4 would be the sequels. Now, I'm not going to rank the sequels as they are all pretty bad and some even atrocious, with maybe 1 or 2 exceptions.

So the first list will be the top 10 Live Action, Hybrids & Other.

10. Song Of The South (1946)
We had never watched this movie before, but of course had heard everything about it and been wanting to see it for many years. We finally bought a bootleg copy from Ebay with 5 discs (different versions, extras, So Dear To My Heart and the soundtrack). It's a great set for a bootleg and probably the only way to obtain the movie for the foreseeable future. My partner (Gus) loves Splash Mountain and I really like the Zip-A-De-Do-Dah song. However, we both were pretty disappointed after watching the movie. Maybe we expected something more shocking after all the hype and the bans by Disney. Still great we have seen it though, but don't know how many times it will be re-watched.

9. Pete's Dragon (1977)
I want to like this movie, but just don't. The kid is pretty annoying and the hillbilly family even more so. Elliott is fun though and every other story line is okay to watch. The songs aren't that great either. I would prefer the recent remake over the original.

8. Mary Poppins (1964)
There's not a lot wrong with Poppins, it just feels all over the place and a little on the long side. The songs feel a little forced as well lyrically. I do really enjoy the Step in Time sequence. We did watch the 'sequel' this month and enjoyed it as well, but it's a little unnecessary.

7. Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988)
It's a fun movie, but a little dated and Roger is also a pretty annoying character. All the cameos and the villains and the story are pretty cool though. And ofcourse...Jessica Rabbit is awesome. Just remember: she's not bad, she's just drawn that way.

6. So Dear To My Heart (1948)
This movie was included with the Song Of The South bootleg set I bought, so we decided to watch it and were surprised we both enjoyed it over SOTS. It's a cute little chaste movie. Very Christian, sunday afternoon vibe it gave me, with a nostalgic feel even though we both had never seen it before.

5. The Reluctant Dragon (1941)
Included as an extra on the Ichabod/Fun And Fancy Free double set. I do enjoy this one for some reason as it's nothing special. That dragon is waaaay over the top though! :D

4. Bedknobs & Broomsticks (1971)
It's a fun movie, although I'll admit it's a little all over the place and on the long-ish side. I do enjoy the story and the acting though.

3. Enchanted (2007)
Maybe it's because it's a more recent movie with a bigger budget or advanced technology, but I really like this movie and think it's cute. I love Amy Adams as Giselle. I do think it's a shame they under used Idina Menzel though. I wonder if the sequel ever gets made....

2. Frankenweenie (2012)
1. The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)
Maybe it's cheating to include Frankenweenie and Nightmare in this list, but didn't know where else to include them.
I do like FW's story and it gets me teary-eyed every time, despite the crude animations. And what can I say about Nightmare? It's just a classic in my opinion and a great movie, although it does lag at a few moments. Or maybe I like these movies, because I have a soft spot for Catherine O'Hara. :)

I will include these movies in my overall ranking, to see where I'd put them with the other Disney movies.

Next up will be the Pixar List, Top 20-11, which I will post this Monday.

Feel free to discuss my ranking of these movies, whether you agree or not, or post your own ranking of these movies. :wave:
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Awesome, I like how your rankings are not the usual thing and are unique! It's very interesting you didn't like Mary Poppins that much but think Frankenweenie is second! I guess you have a thing for darkness and Tim Burton! I love Enchanted so much too, glad it's so high! I have never seen So Dear to My Heart, I'm glad you liked it so much, maybe I need to see it. And I'm glad you didn't like Song of the South that much because I really don't like that movie very much. I just look for the good in it because some of my friends like it. And there is good in it, I am just not a big fan.
Khonnor
Special Edition

Post by Khonnor »

Disney Duster wrote:And I'm glad you didn't like Song of the South that much because I really don't like that movie very much. I just look for the good in it because some of my friends like it. And there is good in it, I am just not a big fan.

Thanks for your response! Glad you liked most of my ranking... :)

I want to make clear though, that the reason I did not like Song Of The South has nothing to do with any of the supposed racist interpretations. I did not feel the movie was overtly racist.
The reason I didn't like was perhaps more because I expected to be shocked more after everything I had read about the movie.... :D
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I just find the movie to be uninteresting with not really anything endearing in it. I suppose there is some charm to Remus and the animated parts and the little girl having her dress get muddy and being sad.
Khonnor
Special Edition

Post by Khonnor »

So, this list will be my Pixar top 20-11. I will start by saying I'm not a huge Pixar fan and the only two movies I physically own on blu-ray are Brave, Coco and the three Short Collections. Most of these I had never even seen before, or just once in theaters when they were released.

Category: Pixar - Part 1

20. Monsters University (2013)
Just...no. I really liked the first movie (much to my surprise, as I expected I wouldn't), but this sequel/prequel is just a mess and incredibly not funny imo.

19. The Incredibles (2004)
Didn't care for it. And didn't understand the hype and following this movie has.

18. The Incredibles 2 (2018)
Slightly more enjoyable than the first one for me, but still at the bottom of the list.

17. A Bug's Life (1998)
Enjoyable movie, but pretty forgettable. Seemed more like a Dreamworks movie or something.

16. Cars 2 (2011)
Felt more like a direct-to- DVD sequel. I mean, there were some fun parts, but overall not very good.

15. Finding Dory (2016)
Classic case of too much of a good thing will kill you. They take the arguably best part of the first movie and give it an entire movie for herself. Best part of this movie is Sigourney Weaver. 8)

14. Wall-E (2008)
I want to really like this movie. I remember watching it in theaters when it was released, knowing nothing about it and being amazed. But with every re-watch the movie feels like two movies in one that are severely disconnected from each other. I prefer the first half of the movie though.

13. Toy Story (1995)
It's a nice movie, but perhaps a little dull, compared to the sequels. Not an absolute worst, but also kinda forgettable. I honestly don't remember much from what happened in this movie.

12. Finding Nemo (2003)
Another movie that's enjoyable, but the incredible hype this movie got, killed it for me. People pretending like it's an absolute masterpiece and the best movie ever made, just made me dislike the movie more. There are too many annoying characters in this movie for me. Like I said, it's enjoyable and don't mind watching it, but it will never be one of my favorites.

11. Toy Story 2 (1999)
Enjoyed this more than the first one. I liked the Jessie/Bullseye story and Zurg scenes. It seemed more fun than the first and more, uhmm, big on the adventure.

Once again, these are just my short ramblings for each movie and feel free to agree or disagree with me or post your own rankings for these movies.

I will post my Top 10 Pixar movies on Friday. :wave:
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I'm not a huge pixar fan myself and personally I think pixar is overrated. However my favorites are different than yours.
WALL-E is my favorite Pixar film and I like both halfs, I don't feel like they are disconnected from each other.
The Incredibles is one of my favorites as well because of its tight script and realistically flawed characters.
I like Brave as well and while I don't think it's the greatest film out there, I do think people are way too hard on it than it deserves. Which is why I consider it an underrated film.
Coco is another one I like because its a celebration of culture, music and colors. It's really great.

I don't really care about the rest though, some are good, some are not, but I don't really have a fondness to them. I much prefer WDAS's films, especially the traditionally animated ones.
Khonnor
Special Edition

Post by Khonnor »

Category: Pixar - Part 2

10. Cars 3 (2017)
It was a fun movie, albeit predictable and by the numbers.

9. The Good Dinosaur (2015)
I really liked this movie when I watched it when it was released and not understand the bad reviews this got. Now, on a re-watch I must adjust my rating somewhat. It feels longer than it is and that's usually a sign something's not right.

8. Brave (2012)
Another one I had pretty high ranked after watching it in theaters, but now I'm not sure. Visually it's a great movie, but the movie itself...

7. Inside Out (2015)
Did not care for this movie initially but now that I've seen it a second time, I kinda liked it and actually got emotional during a scene or two. Might be a movie that needs to grow on me with multiple re-watches.

6. Up (2009)
Pretty much the same story as with Inside Out. Did not care for it in theaters and thought it was pretty boring. When we watched it again, a couple of weeks ago, I enjoyed myself. It's a sad story of heartbreak and pain. Something I didn't really catch up on the first viewing.

5. Cars (2006)
I actually saw this when it was released and fell asleep after the first 20 or so minutes. I always blamed the movie for that, but I guess I just had a long day and was tired. So re-watching it again with zero expectations, was a good thing. Loved it!

4. Ratatouille (2007)
I really like the style of this movie and the French sub-tones. I don't enjoy the side stories with the boss and the critic as much, but the rest of the movie is pretty great.

3. Monsters Inc. (2001)
I had never seen this movie and only knew it from trailers of Disney Infinity or the Laugh Floor ride at WDW and I hated all of this, so I was really reluctant to watch this, but loved it! The movie is completely different from all the things I was thought it to be.

2. Toy Story 3 (2010)
This movie was great, even if just for the scene near the end when they're about to be demolished. That scene will haunt me forever.

1. Coco (2017)
Loved it. It did all the right things for me at the right times. Just the right amount of humor when it was needed, just the right amount of emotions. I remember being in Spain when I was a very small boy and they were also celebrating Dia de Las Muertas and it scared the bejeezus out of me. But it always stayed with me and intrigued me, so I was really excited when I found out they were making a movie about it and that the lead would be a boy, after a few movies with a girl as lead. Visually it's a also a great movie and it was a blast watching this in IMAX theaters.

As always, feel free to agree or disagree and share your opinions or ranking. :)

Next week I will start with my Disney Animated Classics list...
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I’m glad I’m not the only Monsters, Inc. fan who hate hate hates the sequel. I love Toy Story 3 and Inside Out. Coco and Ratatouille are good films, too.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Khonnor
Special Edition

Post by Khonnor »

Sorry for the delay, but I had a crazy week at work.

However, I do want to finish this.

So the next category is Disney Animated Classics!

57. Saludos Amigos (1943)
This was the first watching this movie, and oh my God! This was incredibly bad. Super outdated and huge cringe!

56. The Three Caballeros (1945)
Same story as with Saludos Amigos. First time I watched it, but if I never have to watch those two movies again, it would be okay.

55. The Sword In The Stone (1963)
Never cared for this movie, although I like the character of Wart, Merlin and pretty much all the other side characters annoy me. The movie feels all over the place and makes some weird directorial choices that seem choppy.

54. Home On The Range (2004)
This was my second time watching it and when I watched it for the first time (when the blu-ray got released) I expected something atrocious but it felt okay. On this re-watch however I definitely noticed the cringe.

53. Melody Time (1948)
52. Make Mine Music (1946)
These two have some nice scenes and some cute animation, but it's just hard for me to focus during these movies and it sometimes feels boring. Thankfully these are short movies.

51. Fantasia (1940)
I appreciate this movie for its historical significance. But I'm just not able to watch this movie in one sitting. I love classical music, but I'd prefer listening to it with my eyes closed and a bubble bath.

50. Alice In Wonderland (1951)
Another movie that everyone seems to like, but I just never did. No one, and I mean absolutely no one in this movie is likable. I can only imagine liking this movie high on drugs.

49. Fantasia 2000 (2000)
Same story as Fantasia, but this one seemed a little more focused and neater. I loved the extra on Disney and Dali though.

48. The Many Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh (1977)
I enjoy Pooh and Eeyore is one of my favorite characters in the parks and such, but this movie feels so long and boring. I guess I'm just not a fan of shorter stories/scenes being tied together to make one longer movie. This list would be proof of that, I think.

So, again feel free to discuss your opinions of my list or share your own rankings... :)

I will try to post 47-38 on Friday.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

All the movies low on your list are low on mine too (of the movies that I've seen). I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh rather boring and am not a fan of a bunch of little stories making one movie (except things like Love, Actually, I love that movie!).
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

We have mostly similar tastes. I'm not a fan of the package films and I can recognize Fantasia's artistic merits, but it isn't a film that I personally care much for. The sequel is more watchable imo. The Sword in the Stone is one I'm not a fan of either. Definitely Walt's worst animated film.

The only two films we disagree on are Alice in Wonderland and The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. Probably, because I love the source material so much, but both these films are, if not in my top ten, then at least top 15. But both are also films that are not everyone's cup of tea, so your opinion isn't very unpopular. I'm curious as to how much more you prefer the 2011 Winnie the Pooh film.
ImageImage
Khonnor
Special Edition

Post by Khonnor »

Thanks for the responses, DisneyDuster and JeanGreyForever.

I will continue my list now with 47-38 :)

47. Robin Hood (1973)
This used to be even lower on my list, together with Sword In The Stone. I still don't care for it though. I think the animation is rough and the story kinda drags from time to time.

46. Meet The Robinsons (2007)
This movie is just all over the place. The story is kinda okay, but the the animation does nothing for me and the villain reveal is kinda weak.

45. Chicken Little (2005)
The first time I watched this, like 10 years ago I was expecting absolute dread, as I've been reading over and over again how horrible this movie. After my first viewing I was actually pleasantly surprised, as I expected much worse. However, this was my second viewing and while I still like the story and characters, the animation is just way too crude for my liking and ruins the experience of watching this.

44. Hercules (1997)
I don't know what it is with this one. Maybe because it came after Beauty And The Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, Pocahontas and Hunchback. It's more of the same animation style and it got tiring? There's not a lot going on either.

43. Brother Bear (2003)
This movie needed more time to breathe, but now it feels rushed, so the big emotional scenes kinda get lost on me. It's too bad because it's actually a pretty enjoyable movie, with good characters.

42. Oliver & Company (1988)
I actually like this one, but it feels dated. Maybe it was a mistake to heavily place it in New York during the 80s, whereas other movie feel more timeless (like 101 Dalmatians or Rescuers). It also doesn't feel like a Disney movie to me, and more like a Land Before Time/An American Tail movie genre.

41. The Black Cauldron (1985)
It really is a pity this production had so many problems. Maybe it was a weird choice for Disney to make this movie to begin with, given the source material. I wish we could one day get to see a producer's cut or something, but I know that will never happen. I am curious though if they'll ever actually continue with the live action movies.

40. Winnie The Pooh (2011)
Another movie I want to like. And this movie is much better in my opinion than the 1977 one, but after this rewatch it still feels kinda dull. Maybe I'm not the target audience for this. I do love Eeyore though! 8)

39. Peter Pan (1953)
This one is interesting as I appreciate it for the classic it is, but oh my God, this movie is borderline psychotic! The art and production is beautiful, but literally none of the characters are likable. I don't understand why Tinkerbell is so popular and loved by so many when she's literally insane, trying to MURDER Wendy on multiple occasions without remorse! And Peter Pan himself is just so selfish and narcissistic it's unbelievable anyone would want to hang out with him. Hook seems like a nice villain with potential, but in the end he doesn't really do anything and he's made pretty weak and lame.

38. Ralph Breaks The Internet (2018)
I did not really care for the first movie, and although I maybe enjoyed this one a little better, it felt too forced to me. I think how they incorporated the many cameos and references to games and arcades in the first movie felt more organic, to the way the sequels handled the internet. It might also be that I don't like Disney movies to be too modern or filled with too many current references. For example, I don't need to see Amazon or Twitter in a Disney movie. This will make the film feel very dated quickly in 20 years from now, or maybe even a couple of years from now. The whole scene with the princesses is classic though. Especially Cinderella who smashes her glass slipper and angrily points it at Vanellope, ready to use it as a weapon just cracks me up! :lol:

Thanks again for reading and feel free to discuss your opinions.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

You've got similar tastes to mine, especially to Pixar. :)
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Our tastes are pretty much akin here too. All the movies you included in this list are ones I don't care for except for Meet the Robinsons, which I've always had a soft spot for. I used to like Hercules but I agree with you that it doesn't hold up well after the 90s bonafide classics. It feels regressive and like a step back.

I'm glad to see you ranked Peter Pan so low because many people are blinded by nostalgia and keep it high even after admitting its faults. As beautiful as Neverland (and even the Darlings' nursery) is, the characters are very difficult to root for and I find the overall designs weak too. I completely agree with you on WIR2 as well, although I find the princess scene just as dated. The terrible CGI designs for them probably doesn't help.
ImageImage