Oscar for Best Animated Feature 2018

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Oscar for Best Animated Feature 2018

Post by Sotiris »

The tenth shortlisted animated short Animal Behavior is now available online! I was surprised by how funny and smart it was!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^Thanks, Sotiris. Unfortunately, the video is not available in my country.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

That's too bad. Have you tried using an online proxy? Sites such as Hide Me, Proxy Site, and Unblock Videos are free and get the job done (most of the time).
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^OK, thanks for the tip! I didn't know about these sites. I'll try to do that.

disneyprincess11 wrote:I saw Spider-Man the other night and it indeed deserves the Oscar over Incredibles 2. Incredible animation, strong & pretty mature story, and such good & developed characters!
I saw it this week and I agree, it's really good. I haven't seen all the animated films competing for the Oscar this year, but from the ones I've seen, I also think Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse it the one that deserves it the most.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:That's too bad. Have you tried using an online proxy? Sites such as Hide Me, Proxy Site, and Unblock Videos are free and get the job done (most of the time).
It worked with the second link you posted. Thank you so much again, Sotiris! It’s great to know there's a possibility of unblocking videos. It's going to be very useful for me. This short was quite original, and yes it has some good jokes. It's incredible that this year we've been able to watch all the shortlisted shorts in full before the awards!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The nominations for the Art Directors Guild Awards are out. Update: Isle of Dogs won in the category.

Animated Feature Film

Dr. Seuss' The Grinch
Incredibles 2
Isle of Dogs
Ralph Breaks the Internet
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

The nominations for the Cinema Audio Society Awards are out. Update: Isle of Dogs won in the category.

Motion Picture — Animated

Dr. Seuss' The Grinch
Incredibles 2
Isle of Dogs

The nominations for the Producers Guild of America Awards are out. Update: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse won in the category.

Animated Theatrical Motion Picture

Dr. Seuss' The Grinch
Incredibles 2
Isle of Dogs

The nominations for the American Cinema Editors Eddie Awards are out. Update: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse won in the category.

Animated Feature Film

Incredibles 2
Isle of Dogs
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Spider-Man wins the Globe!
Last edited by disneyprincess11 on Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

With this win, Disney's record gets smaller. Now they've only won in the category 10 out of 13 times. :P If even the Golden Globe went to Spider-Man there's no chance Incredibles 2 will win the Oscar. It's a done deal now. This means that no director at Pixar will have more than two Oscars (for the time being). Pete Docter (Up, Inside Out), Lee Unkrich (Toy Story 3, Coco), Andrew Stanton (Finding Nemo, WALL-E), and Brad Bird (Ratatouille, The Incredibles).

Source: https://twitter.com/goldenglobes/status ... 3600737280
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

:clap:
Attachments
tumblr_pky2kh9ETE1v79cwgo1_640.png
tumblr_pky2kh9ETE1v79cwgo1_640.png (48.63 KiB) Viewed 16330 times
JTurner
Gold Classic Collection

Post by JTurner »

I heard Spiderverse was good, but I haven't seen it. I am, however, curious about it, as it does sound like it does offer a different style of CG animation than a lot of the copycats I've been seeing lately.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

JTurner wrote:I heard Spiderverse was good, but I haven't seen it. I am, however, curious about it, as it does sound like it does offer a different style of CG animation than a lot of the copycats I've been seeing lately.
From what I understood it combined Traditional animation with CGI kind of like Paperman and Feast, but I might be mistaken.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Sotiris wrote:With this win, Disney's record gets smaller. Now they've only won in the category 10 out of 13 times. :P If even the Golden Globe went to Spider-Man there's no chance Incredibles 2 will win the Oscar. It's a done deal now. This means that no director at Pixar will have more than two Oscars (for the time being). Pete Docter (Up, Inside Out), Lee Unkrich (Toy Story 3, Coco), Andrew Stanton (Finding Nemo, WALL-E), and Brad Bird (Ratatouille, The Incredibles).

Source: https://twitter.com/goldenglobes/status ... 3600737280
The Golden Globes did pick How to Train Your Dragon 2 over Big Hero 6 and the presumed frontrunner The LEGO Movie, but Disney still won the Oscar that year. The Globes just comprises of 90 journalists, while the Academy is a whole different membership of over 8000 voters. It's why I never factor the Globes into my own Oscar predictions.

The Annies are definitely going with Spider-Verse, as animators clearly love the movie, but I think the real test for Spider-Verse will be the BAFTAs, Producer's Guild Awards and other guild industry prizes. Speaking of...

The Editors Guild has announced their nominees:
Best Edited Animated Feature Film
“Incredibles 2” (Stephen Schaffer, ACE)
“Isle of Dogs” (Andrew Weisblum, ACE, Ralph Foster & Edward Bursch)
“Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” (Robert Fisher, Jr.)
As has the Arts Directors Guild:
Animated Film
“Dr. Seuss’ The Grinch” (Colin Stimpson)
“Incredibles 2” (Ralph Eggleston)
“Isle of Dogs” (Adam Stockhausen, Paul Harrod)
“Ralph Breaks the Internet” (Cory Loftis)
“Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” (Justin K. Thompson)
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

JTurner wrote:I heard Spiderverse was good, but I haven't seen it. I am, however, curious about it, as it does sound like it does offer a different style of CG animation than a lot of the copycats I've been seeing lately.
It’s truly a triumph of a movie. You’ve never seen anything quite like it, and the animation is absolutely incredible. It’s a blend of so many different styles of animation, and one of the most visually cohesive movies I’ve ever seen. Absolutely deserved the award, and hopefully it nabs the Oscar as well.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

Spiderverse is witty, heartfelt, creative, and capture perfectly the essence of Spider-Man. Ralph is just a glorified commercial. It'd be disappointing but not surprising if it wins, though, because Disney psychopathy is encouraged nowadays.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

I can honestly see Spiderverse win at this point, primarily since time isn't being very kind to Incredibles 2- it just isn't that memorable in hindsight. It's basically Finding Dory all over again. And this comes from one of maybe 3 people who wasn't that impressed with Spiderverse, either.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I'm glad Spider-Verse won. I hope it wins at the Oscars too.

By the way, I don't know if I heard it right, but I think Glenn Close said in her speech when she got the Best Actress in a drama award, that the early Disney films and Hayley Mills inspired her to be an actress. I'm really glad she won the award. I hope she wins the Oscar too. I can't believe she still doesn't have one.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

estefan wrote:I think the real test for Spider-Verse will be the BAFTAs, Producer's Guild Awards and other guild industry prizes.
The BAFTAs don't always sync up with the Oscars either. Let's not forget that The LEGO Movie and Kubo and the Two Strings won the award over Big Hero 6 and Zootopia. If by some wild twist of fate Spider-Man doesn't win the Oscar there's going to be a massive backlash, much bigger than when The LEGO Movie didn't nominated and accusations of racism will undoubtedly be hurled at the Academy.
D82 wrote:I think Glenn Close said in her speech when she got the Best Actress in a drama award, that the early Disney films and Hayley Mills inspired her to be an actress. I'm really glad she won the award. I hope she wins the Oscar too. I can't believe she still doesn't have one.
I hope so too. She's a great actress with an impressive body of work.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

D82 wrote: By the way, I don't know if I heard it right, but I think Glenn Close said in her speech when she got the Best Actress in a drama award, that the early Disney films and Hayley Mills inspired her to be an actress. I'm really glad she won the award. I hope she wins the Oscar too. I can't believe she still doesn't have one.
Same. I read in an interview that she and her daughter both share a love for Disney movies and that this in part inspired her role as Cruella.

As much as I want Gaga to win the Oscar, I'd be very satisfied with Glenn Close finally winning one. It shocks me that she has three Golden Globes to her name but not a single Oscar.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I recently saw A Star Is Born in theaters, and I definitely don't think Gaga deserved/s to win Best Actress. For music, otoh, sure, but she was just alright as an actress; she didn't hurt the movie, but I'm sure a better actress could've brought more to the role. I haven't yet seen The Wife yet (although it looks fantastic), but Glenn Close doubtless delivered a better performance than hers in ASiB. I wouldn't have minded Bradley Cooper or the actor who played his character's brother in the film winning something though. They were both great.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The nominations for the BAFTAs are out.

Animated Film

Incredibles 2
Isle of Dogs