Most anticipated Disney movie of 2019

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.

For which theatrical Disney film are you most excited?

Captain Marvel
3%
Dumbo
2%
Penguins
3%
Avengers 4
14%
Aladdin
14%
Toy Story 4
14%
Spider-Man: Far From Home
5%
The Lion King
8%
Artemis Fowl
No votes
Frozen 2
25%
Star Wars: Episode IX
12%

Total votes: 59

Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Most anticipated Disney movie of 2019

Post by Sotiris »

In 2019, Disney is setting the box office on fire! :wink: Which ones are you looking forward to the most?

Captain Marvel - March 08, 2019
Dumbo - March 29, 2019
Penguins - April 19, 2019
Avengers 4 - May 03, 2019
Aladdin - May 24, 2019
Toy Story 4 - June 21, 2019
Spider-Man: Far From Home - July 05, 2019
The Lion King - July 19, 2019
Artemis Fowl - August 09, 2019
Frozen 2 - November 22, 2019
Star Wars: Episode IX - December 20, 2019
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Re: Most anticipated Disney movie of 2019

Post by JeanGreyForever »

It was difficult just picking five. Star Wars and Avengers 4 are must-sees because they both cap off long-lasting franchises. Captain Marvel because I love the comic book character and it's about time the MCU introduces a female superhero with her own movie (Wasp is still 1/2 of a duo). Aladdin is one of my favorites so I warily chose it because I'm afraid I won't like the new take on it especially since I had a lukewarm reaction to the live-action Beauty and the Beast. Finally Toy Story 4 because I actually don't mind Pixar sequels which isn't a popular consensus on here. I'm also interested in the live-action films for Dumbo and The Lion King as well as Spider-Man. I'll probably check out Jungle Cruise and Artemis Fowl as well.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

By order of excitement:

1. Aladdin
2. Frozen 2
3. Spider-Man: Far From Home
4. The Lion King
5. Toy Story 4
6. Dumbo
7. Artemis Fowl
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I'm super excited to see the new Avengers, Captain Marvel, Star Wars Episode IX, Frozen 2, The Lion King, Aladdin and Dumbo. :D
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:In 2019, Disney is setting the box office on fire! :wink:
Indeed. They’re going to break all records!

There are so many big titles that it’s hard to decide. I think the movies I’m more exited for right now are Frozen 2 and Toy Story 4. (By the way, this is the second year in a row that the offerings from both WDAS and Pixar are sequels). Though I didn’t think we needed any of these sequels, now I’m quite intrigued to know what Frozen 2 is going to be about. And both Toy Story sequels have turned out to be great, so this one could be good too.

After the animated films, the movies from Marvel are probably the ones I’m looking forward to the most this time. Of course, I want to know how Avengers ends, and I really liked Spider-Man: Homecoming and Tom Holland as Peter Parker, so I want to see the sequel too. Captain Marvel looks interesting as well.

From the Disney live action films/remakes, the ones I’m more interested in right now are Jungle Cruise and Dumbo. The first because it’s an original movie and I tend to like adventure films; and the latter mainly because it's directed by Tim Burton, but also because it looks like it will be different enough from the animated movie. I’m also curious about Aladdin and I’m especially looking forward to hearing the new Alan Menken songs, but the direct remakes of the Disney classics are the ones that I enjoy the least. And Beauty and the Beast was the worst of them for me. The only thing I really liked in it were the new songs. So, I’m not hopeful I will like this one either. The same with The Lion King. Though I think John Favreau did a good job with The Jungle Book, it’s not enough to make me exited for this remake.

And regarding Star Wars: Episode IX, I had mixed feelings about The Last Jedi and now I’m not as exited for the last chapter as before, but of course, I want to know how the trilogy ends.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Well, you can scratch out Jungle Cruise from the list as it has been pushed back to July 24, 2020.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Fandango has revealed the results of their poll of the most anticipated movies of 2019. 8 of the films in the top 10 are from Disney:
Most Anticipated Blockbuster:

1. Avengers: Endgame
2. Captain Marvel
3. Star Wars: Episode IX
4. Spider-Man: Far from Home
5. Toy Story 4
6. Glass
7. The Lion King
8. Aladdin
9. Dumbo
10. Joker
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:8 of the films in the top 10 are from Disney.
Nine if you include "Glass" which a Disney co-production and is being distributed by them overseas.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I forgot to post mine:

01. Aladdin
02. The Lion King
03. Frozen 2
04. Toy Story 4
05. Dumbo
06. Artemis Fowl
07. Avengers: Endgame
08. Spider-Man: Far from Home
09. Captain Marvel
10. Glass
11. Penguins
12. Star Wars: Episode IX
Disney's Divinity

I wanted to make a few changes to my list before, but since I'm re-posting anyway, I thought I'd glance through the 2019 Wikipedia page and include non-Disney films I'm anticipating, too.

1. Frozen 2
2. Downton Abbey
3. The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part
4. Little Women ~ Even though there was just a new TV version not long ago with Lansbury, the cast for this has me excited to see this adaptation.
5. Aladdin
6. It: Chapter Two ~ I grew up on the mini-series adaptation. Nothing is as good as Tim Curry in the new version, everything else has been upgrade (the special effects, child actors, etc.). I'm definitely interested to see how they'll improve the second half of the story.
7. Spider-Man: Far From Home ~ Tom Holland is the main reason. *shrug*
8. Avengers: Endgame
9. Missing Link ~ The film doesn't look or sound like I'd enjoy it, but Laika hasn't had a bad film so far, imo.
10. Joker ~ Joaquin Phoenix is what makes this worth seeing. Frances Conroy's also in the film. I don't expect Phoenix's performance to be as good as Heath Ledger's in TDK, but I'm still looking forward to this.
11. Dark Phoenix ~ I'm hoping this film can pull off the story that The Last Stand flopped with. I like the cast they soft-set rebooted the film with. Fingers crossed.
12. Toy Story 4
13. How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World ~ HTTYD2 was just okay. Hopefully this is an improvement.
14. Super Intelligence ~ Melissa McCarthy <3
15. Cats ~ I'm not even sure what this will turn out like. Pretty much here for McKellan and JHUD only.
16. Captain Marvel
17. Dumbo
18. The Lion King ~ I don't know what it was about the teaser, but it made me less interested in this than I was...
19. The Kitchen ~ Melissa McCarthy, Haddish, Moss. I don't think it's a comedy though? Comical touches, I guess. I know McCarthy is capable of more than comedy, that's just the mode I prefer her in.
20. Glass
21. Us ~ Lupita Nyong'o and Elisabeth Moss. And the plot sounds like it could go either way.
22. Brightburn ~ Elisabeth Banks and the twist of the hero plot sound worth a watch.
23. The New Mutants ~ I would see it for the X-Men connection anyway, but Maisie Williams!
24. Men in Black: International ~ I haven't really liked any of the MIB besides the first one. But this is supposed to be a soft reboot with a great cast, so...
25. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
26. Margie Claus ~ Another McCarthy movie.
27. The Good Liar
28. Limited Partners
29. Rocketman
30. What Men Want
31. The Rosie Project
---I'm sure the rest of these will be varying states of boring/bad/awful, but I'm giving them a go for "reasons."---
32. Ad Astra ~ Brad Pitt/Tommy Lee Jones.
33. Artemis Fowl ~ Grew up on the series.
34. Where'd You Go, Bernadette? ~ For Cate Blanchett only.
35. Captive State ~ I'm not sure if this will be bearable or awful. Either way, John Goodman and Vera Farmiga are awesome.
36. 17 Bridges ~ Chadwick Boseman.
37. The Hustle ~ The concept sounds like it could make for a funny film. Apparently it was first called "Nasty Women," which made it sound like it might have the potential to good.
38. Child's Play ~ :lol: As awful as they are, I grew up with these movies. I doubt a reboot will even campy enough to get a laugh, but who knows.
39. Happy Death Day 2U ~ Jessica Rothe was a bright spot. I wouldn't mind seeing her again.
40. Pet Sematary ~ I have a pretty strong feeling this is going to be bad, but there is Lithgow.

Apparently there's also some comedy-musical in the works with Lily James and Kate McKinnon I'm interested to see.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:Nine if you include "Glass" which a Disney co-production and is being distributed by them overseas.
Oh, wow. Then almost the entire list is composed of Disney titles.

Since we are talking about the 2019 releases, which Disney films do you guys think will do best at the box office? How many of them will join the billion-dollar club? And which ones do you think will flop?
Last edited by D82 on Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:Speaking of the 2019 releases, which Disney films do you guys think will do best at the box office? How many of them will join the billion-dollar club? And which ones do you think will flop?
I predict The Lion King, Frozen 2, Toy Story 4, Avengers: Endgame, and Star Wars: Episode IV will cross the 1 billion mark each at the worldwide box office; Aladdin, Dumbo, Captain Marvel, and Spider-Man: Far from Home will come close with around $700-800 million; Glass around $400 million while Penguins and Artemis Fowl will flop.
Disney's Divinity

I agree with you, Sotiris, except that I think Aladdin stands a shot at passing a billion. I know it's not quite the juggernaut that TLK and B&tB are, but it might make it.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I agree with you, Sotiris, except that I think Aladdin stands a shot at passing a billion.
I sure hope so. It would be pretty cool if the remakes of the fab4 grossed over a billion.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I agree with you, Sotiris, except that I think Aladdin stands a shot at passing a billion. I know it's not quite the juggernaut that TLK and B&tB are, but it might make it.
Yes, I am hoping this too. It was huge when it came out and even today I was looking at the wiki page for highest grossing franchises in the world, and the only non-Pixar Disney films on it were BATB, Aladdin, TLK, and Frozen.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:I predict The Lion King, Frozen 2, Toy Story 4, Avengers: Endgame, and Star Wars: Episode IV will cross the 1 billion mark each at the worldwide box office; Aladdin, Dumbo, Captain Marvel, and Spider-Man: Far from Home will come close with around $700-800 million; Glass around $400 million while Penguins and Artemis Fowl will flop.
All that sounds quite likely. I think Aladdin maybe can do a little bit better (around $900 million) and I'm not sure if Dumbo will be that successful, but I pretty much agree with all your predictions too. Frozen 2 will most likely be the highest-grossing animated movie of 2019 and Avengers: Endgame the highest-grossing live-action film, though Star Wars: Episode IX will probably be more successful than The Last Jedi. But there are always surprises, so we'll see. Anyway, what is clear is that Disney will have a record year at the box office.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Since it's expected by the end of January the merger between Disney and Fox to be completed, here's the combined theatrical slate of the two for 2019. Those are a lot of movies. I wonder if Disney will cancel the theatrical release for some of them and released them instead on either Hulu, Disney+ or on direct-to-home video/digital.

Glass — January 18
The Kid Who Would Be King — January 25
Alita: Battle Angel — February 14
Captain Marvel — March 08
The Aftermath — March 15
Dumbo — March 29
Penguins — April 17
Breakthrough — April 17
Avengers: Endgame — April 26
Tolkien — May 10
Aladdin — May 24
Ad Astra — May 24
Dark Phoenix — June 07
Toy Story 4 — June 21
Spider-Man: Far from Home — July 05
Stuber — July 12
The Lion King — July 19
The New Mutants — August 02
Artemis Fowl — August 09
Spies in Disguise — September 13
The Art of Racing in the Rain — September 27
The Woman in the Window — October 04
Maleficent: Mistress of Evil — October 18
Ford v. Ferrari — November 15
Frozen II — November 22
Star Wars: Episode IX — December 20
Call of the Wild — December 25
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

I was going to say Aladdin until the first pictures showed up. I would say Lion King (that trailer! :D ), but it's pretty much a shot-to-shot remake. Dumbo looks like it's going to be the best remake out of all of them, but it isn't my favorite Disney movie (I do like Dumbo, don't get me wrong). Toy Story 4, while most likely to be great like the others, is just a pointless cash cow and for now, I'm meh over it. I'm not a big Marvel or Star Wars person. So, for me, it's now Frozen 2. It's a cash cow (more or less than Toy Story) as well, but I love Frozen, princesses, and musicals, and the leaked image is amazing, so... :lol:
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Here's the Atom Tickets' ranking of the most anticipated film releases.
Most Anticipated 2019 Films

01. Avengers: Endgame
02. Captain Marvel
03. Spider-Man: Far From Home
04. Toy Story 4
05. The Lion King
06. Star Wars: Episode IX
07. Aladdin
08. Dark Phoenix
09. Glass
10. Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle 2
Source: https://deadline.com/2018/12/avengers-e ... 202527366/
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, thanks for letting me know there will be a Welcome to the Jungle 2!

No sequel is pointless if it's great, and Toy Story 4's trailers made me think it will be great!