The Walt Disney Signature Collection

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
D82
Signature Collection

Re: The Walt Disney Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:Her hair and arms look shorter than they should, her lips are pinkish instead of red, the flower should be on the side and not on the back of her head, and the composition is not great but I guess it could have been worse.

I like this new cover and Ariel's pose here, but I agree with all your issues with it.
nomad2010 wrote:Here’s the thing though... Disney is one of the biggest companies on earth. There is NO excuse for their artwork on their dvds to be anything but picture perfect. Any great graphic designer could make covers better than these. They’re never on model, the proportions are always wrong, and usually they’re not appealing to look at. It’s embarrassing, and I cannot believe they keep on whoever it is designing these covers... especially because I’m sure they are paid quite well for such sub par work that thousands of designers would kill to do and do ten times better. These releases should be worth collecting. And there’s no reason these movies also shouldn’t be visually cohesive on the shelf. It’s soemthing we’ve accepted for so long, but there’s no excuse for it from a company as big as Disney.
I agree. I've never understood why they don't make a bigger effort with their covers. Why don't they ask the 2D animators they still have on staff to draw them? The results would be much better.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Atlantica wrote:Oh gosh .... it is absolutely AWFUL. Hate it ! She looks spaced out, and her odd forced perspective makes it look like her hair has shrunk ?!

Eugh, hoped for more after the giant fin fiasco. . .
But her far-off look shows she's dreaming and that's why we love her! Her hair is too short though, you are right.

pikachufan1336, I agree about those Walt films being great American movie classics. Cinderella is a masterpiece but. yes, I understand your "B-list' term in comparison to the other "A-list" Masterpieces by Walt. In fact I would say every film that was not a package feature up until Cinderella was their best masterpieces and Cinderella is a lesser one. Then I would say it is debatable if the following films until Walt died were masterpieces and then that there definitely weren't any more masterpieces until the Renaissance. And then I would say only Tangled, Frozen, and Zootopia are masterpieces. I feel like Aladdin was not really so big a film for people to be considered a great classic worthy of the registry. I just don't think it's as culturally, historically, or aesthetically signifigant as the other Renaissance films, but perhaps it is, cultually, because everyone conisders it as good as the other Renaissance films, don't they? Mulan...yeah I don't even get the big deal there, I agree with you about that. I'm surprised you think the silver age was the best time for Disney films. I consider the golden age to be the best.

Because the National Film Registry takes importance in preserving films, that's why I feel maybe Disney will give it a better restoration.
Sotiris wrote:Her hair and arms look shorter than they should, her lips are pinkish instead of red, the flower should be on the side and not on the back of her head, and the composition is not great but I guess it could have been worse.
I agree with everything except her arms and the composition. I think it's the best composition we could get with the sideways title. Now if you mean the sideways title is terrible, yes, yes it is.
nomad2010 wrote:Here’s the thing though... Disney is one of the biggest companies on earth. There is NO excuse for their artwork on their dvds to be anything but picture perfect. Any great graphic designer could make covers better than these. They’re never on model, the proportions are always wrong, and usually they’re not appealing to look at.
But they usually are on model. This cover is almost completely on model. Are you talking about the hair?
Disney's Divinity wrote:It’s better than the Diamond cover and the horrible DVD cover. That’s all I can say. Ursula’s coloring is right--for once***--and aside from her smile/teeth being screwed up, she looks better than on the Diamond, even despite the fact that they put her in an improved version of that awful clipart pose they’ve used for years and years. Sebastian and Flounder look perfect. Ariel has some flaws, but still better than the last time around, imo. Too bad they didn't put Triton's palace in the distance in the space behind Ariel's back. At least it’s not hideous like the Lion King cover that was released a month or two ago, so I'm grateful.

Maybe there will be a steelbook or something with a prettier cover made available, too.

***Actually, now that I think of it, this might be the FIRST time her coloring's been right on a home media release cover. Her best look was on the first VHS release but they still gave her gold earrings; the VHS re-release gave her green makeup (I hate the way her face/arms look on this cover even if I'm glad they at least used her tentacles, but it would've been better if they just copied the lithograph entirely); the Platinum gave her green makeup and golden earrings; the Diamond just the green, and finally now her coloring is correct.
Oh, yes, the gray make-up instead of green! I forgot! I, too, wish we had a different pose, but I believe all these poses are familiar, actually. Why was the Diamond Blu-ray bad? Triton's palace in the background would clutter and unbalance the composition, though. And what lithograph did they copy for the VHS?
Hardbackyoyo wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:Maybe this will spark interest in Disney giving it a proper restoration.
I posted a comment on Disney Animation Studio's Facebook page, pleading for them to give it one.
Thank you!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney Duster wrote:I agree with everything except her arms and the composition. I think it's the best composition we could get with the sideways title. Now if you mean the sideways title is terrible, yes, yes it is.
Her arms are indeed a bit shorter here than they're supposed to be. Check stills from the film or even other clip-art and you'll see. Thankfully, it's not too noticeable. The sideways title certainly contributes to the less than stellar composition. Ariel should have been in the center of the image to make her pose pop out and not have part of her tail cut off. It would have been more pleasing to the eye. There's also the matter of perspective. It's not clear how far Ursula is in relation to Ariel and as Disney's Divinity pointed out Ursula's mouth/teeth look off. But we've had so many horrible covers in the past, I can't complain too much about this one. There's nothing too ergrerious about it. It's decent which is more than we're used to. The most important thing, Ariel's face and features, are drawn adequately (for a clip-art).
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I can't find the image to link it to here, but the Target exclusive cover has been released ... and it's even worse than the regular cover. :(
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Here's the Target Exclusive. It will be released in 4k as well.

http://target.scene7.com/is/image/Targe ... &fmt=pjpeg
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I love the new cover. It looks absolutely beautiful. :) The composition, the characters, their design, everything about it. The Target exclusive looks nice, but I do prefer the regular one.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

My preferred covers of The Little Mermaid are the 3D Diamond Edition, the linited issue and the Platinum Edition. The Signature doesn't look as good as they were, but it is not as bad as that horrible 'Fins' edition. I do agree that Ariel should have been in the center.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Atlantica wrote:I can't find the image to link it to here, but the Target exclusive cover has been released...and it's even worse than the regular cover. :(
You're right. Ariel's face looks pretty off there. Conceptually, Ariel placing her arm on the logo is not a bad idea. It was just poorly executed. The storybook accompanying the Blu-ray is very well-drawn. I don't understand why it's so difficult to do the same with home video covers.

Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Thank you for posting properly.

I don't know why her fin has to get plonked so front in centre ? This time in front of her hair ?! We get it, she is the Mermaid of the title !

People are really hauling the cover over the coals on social media. . . .
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

farerb wrote:My preferred covers of The Little Mermaid are the 3D Diamond Edition, the limited issue and the Platinum Edition.
My favorites are the Trilogy DVD Collection/3-D Diamond Edition cover (which re-used the 1998 theatrical poster), the Limited Issue DVD/Masterpiece Collection LaserDisc cover, and the infamous Classic VHS/LaserDisc cover (which modified the original theatrical poster). I also like the 1998 Japanese VHS/LaserDisc/DVD cover (which modified a publicity still for the 1998 theatrical re-release). I wish they would use the original teaser poster as a home video cover too. It's so beautiful and iconic.
Atlantica wrote:I don't know why her fin has to get plonked so front in centre? This time in front of her hair?! We get it, she is the Mermaid of the title!
:lol: That was indeed a poor judgment call on the illustrator's part.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I wonder if the standart 4K edition will have a different cover than the blu ray.
pikachufan1336
Gold Classic Collection

Post by pikachufan1336 »

Disney Duster wrote:
pikachufan1336, I agree about those Walt films being great American movie classics. Cinderella is a masterpiece but. yes, I understand your "B-list' term in comparison to the other "A-list" Masterpieces by Walt. In fact I would say every film that was not a package feature up until Cinderella was their best masterpieces and Cinderella is a lesser one. Then I would say it is debatable if the following films until Walt died were masterpieces and then that there definitely weren't any more masterpieces until the Renaissance. And then I would say only Tangled, Frozen, and Zootopia are masterpieces. I feel like Aladdin was not really so big a film for people to be considered a great classic worthy of the registry. I just don't think it's as culturally, historically, or aesthetically signifigant as the other Renaissance films, but perhaps it is, cultually, because everyone conisders it as good as the other Renaissance films, don't they? Mulan...yeah I don't even get the big deal there, I agree with you about that. I'm surprised you think the silver age was the best time for Disney films. I consider the golden age to be the best.

Because the National Film Registry takes importance in preserving films, that's why I feel maybe Disney will give it a better restoration.

\
I never said the silver age was the best (did I... I'm sorry I didn't mean to), I agree the Golden Age is the best, tbh I was surprised that it took them as long as 2017 to put Dumbo in there. What I mean is that the silver age get's a rep as "B-list" by comparison to the golden age. While I'm not saying they're just as good, that doesn't mean the silver age was bad or even by the numbers, they took risks, they are great movies in there own right, they just didn't have the artistic...gravitas of the earlier films, that is what I meant to say. It's not like we're comparing pre Lion King renaissance to Post Lion King renaissance.
pikachufan1336
Gold Classic Collection

Post by pikachufan1336 »

Sotiris wrote:
Atlantica wrote:I can't find the image to link it to here, but the Target exclusive cover has been released...and it's even worse than the regular cover. :(
You're right. Ariel's face looks pretty off there. Conceptually, Ariel placing her arm on the logo is not a bad idea. It was just poorly executed. The storybook accompanying the Blu-ray is very well-drawn. I don't understand why it's so difficult to do the same with home video covers.

Ariel's face is a little.....derpy.... for me in this one, but still it's cute!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

farerb wrote:I wonder if the standard 4K edition will have a different cover than the blu ray.
I sure hope so. There's also the Best Buy steelbook that will probably have a different cover.
Matt
Anniversary Edition

Post by Matt »

I may skip this release all together.
If you have Apple TV, your digital copy is already in 4K (with the correct device and connections of course.)
Also, if there are only a few bonus features that will most likely pour over to the digital copy, no need to repurchase The Little Mermaid.. again. :shrug: :-" :tlm:
DisneyBluLife
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DisneyBluLife »

Sometime I wish Disney could use their art for the Golden books as covers for their DVDs/Blu-rays. I think it would make a cute collection.
Matt
Anniversary Edition

Post by Matt »

DisneyBluLife wrote:Sometime I wish Disney could use their art for the Golden books as covers for their DVDs/Blu-rays. I think it would make a cute collection.
Or just draw them on model lol! rotfl
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

The release date is February 26th.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I love the Target exclusive personally. Her face looks better on the standard, yes, but nobody really looks quite as off as Ursula's mouth or Ariel's arms do on the standard cover, her tail/fins look beautiful here, and I LOVE that they included Triton's palace and the grotto. They borrowed a lot (Sebastian from the first VHS cover/original poster, Ursula miscolored clipart, the Platinum shell for the logo). I'll definitely be picking that one up first, but I'll get the standard version eventually, too.

Now I just want to see what its BestBuy steelbook will look like to know if I'll be buying 3 versions or not. :lol: You know, what really irritates me is that DisneyMovieRewards doesn't allow you to enter codes for 2 different copies of the same movie for some reason?
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

I feel meh about both covers, they feel too much like the last LM release's cover. Also wish Target didn't re-use the story book for the digibook again. I would have preferred an art book with sketches/concepts like they do for the Pixar releases.

Hopefully the Best Buy steel book will be better. I loved the Peter Pan one but didn't care for much for the Lion King one.