The Walt Disney Signature Collection

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
pikachufan1336
Gold Classic Collection

Re: The Walt Disney Signature Collection

Post by pikachufan1336 »

Congrats to Cinderella (1950) for making into the Library of Congress's National Film Registry today!
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Congratulations to Cinderella!
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Maybe this will spark interest in Disney giving it a proper restoration.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, wow, my favorite film has made it! I'm ecstatic!!!!! A dream come true! And yes, maybe Disney will give it what it deserves now.

I hope all the big films of Disney make it in. The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast (or are they already in?).

I hope every Disney cover henceforth has a proper background ala Peter Pan. The only time white is ok is like the Snow White 80th anniversary cover. Even The Lion King is not proper with that blue sky but white around the edges. And yes that big tail Little Mermaid cover is awful.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I'm glad Cinderella got this honor in a time when it's dismissed by online 'critics' who misread the film and the character.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Disney Duster wrote:I hope all the big films of Disney make it in. The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast (or are they already in?).
Beauty and the Beast is in. It entered in 2002. The Little Mermaid isn't, but I hope it will be included someday (I think they won't enter more than one animated film per year).
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yes, I am very glad Cinderella's in despite what some people negatively think about it.

I'm glad Beauty and the Beast is in, that's one of the most deserving ones! I think one animated film per year keeps it special. I would also put in The Lion King, Lady and the Tramp, and Frozen.
Disney's Divinity

The Lion King was inducted into the NFR in 2016. I believe TLK and B&tB are the only animated films (Disney, anyway) more recent than Cinderella to have been inducted so far. I'm sure The Little Mermaid and Frozen will both be inducted someday. Aladdin eventually, too, I would think. The only other modern films from WDAS that I'd think would even maybe be inducted are Lilo & Stitch, Mulan, and/or Zootopia? :?

I'm actually surprised Dalmatians, Jungle Book, and Lady and the Tramp haven't been inducted by now, but at least Bambi and Dumbo have been the past decade. So all 5 of Walt's first films are on there and 2 of the Fab Four so far.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, I didn't know The Lion King was in. I could really only see Dalmatians out of the ones I haven't said already because I feel everyone knows the basic plot and Cruella.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Artwork for The Little Mermaid Signature Collection:

https://target.scene7.com/is/image/Targ ... d?wid=1400
Matt
Anniversary Edition

Post by Matt »

farerb wrote:Artwork for The Little Mermaid Signature Collection:

Basic.. but I love it! :D
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Oh gosh .... it is absolutely AWFUL. Hate it ! She looks spaced out, and her odd forced perspective makes it look like her hair has shrunk ?!

Eugh, hoped for more after the giant fin fiasco. . .
pikachufan1336
Gold Classic Collection

Post by pikachufan1336 »

Disney Duster wrote:Oh, wow, my favorite film has made it! I'm ecstatic!!!!! A dream come true! And yes, maybe Disney will give it what it deserves now.

I hope all the big films of Disney make it in. The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast (or are they already in?).

I hope every Disney cover henceforth has a proper background ala Peter Pan. The only time white is ok is like the Snow White 80th anniversary cover. Even The Lion King is not proper with that blue sky but white around the edges. And yes that big tail Little Mermaid cover is awful.

My Thinking, Walt Disney made 13 films that are generally looked upon today as the great American Movie classics (until he died and everything started to go downhill).

7 of them are in the Library of Congress Right Now:
Snow White
Pinocchio
Fantasia
Dumbo
Bambi
Cinderella
Mary Poppins

The other 6 are:
Alice in Wonderland
Peter Pan
Lady and the Tramp
Sleeping Beauty
101 Dalmatians
The Jungle Book

These are chosen for historical significance, be they ground breaking (Snow White, Bambi) or Critical Deities (Dumbo, Mary Poppins), or just sheer iconic (Cinderella).

With Disney's influence on pop culture, it's no surprise that even Cinderella, a film that has a bit of a rep of being "B-list" compared to the earlier films (which I disagree btw), made it in.

The Little Mermaid and Aladdin should definitely get in there soon too. I can't think of any other renaissance films to make it in there (lets be real here... Mulan is only popular with a generation but it doesn't have the monumental cult following of something like Alice in Wonderland, The Iron Giant, etc).

I'd like to think many of the revival films would make it in there too but it hasn't even been 10 years yet, (there's a reason they do this).

Cinderella is one of the greatest films from my favorite decades of movies and even today, Disney Animation's greatest decade (IMO). It deserves it.

Also, while Disney does recognize this as a huge honor, I don't think they're going to treat the film any differently. By that Logic Fantasia would have been on Diamond/Platinum and Dumbo would be on Signature.
Last edited by pikachufan1336 on Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
pikachufan1336
Gold Classic Collection

Post by pikachufan1336 »

Aside from the F&!&ing multiscreen BS....Gorgeous, I knew they wouldn't let me down!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Her hair and arms look shorter than they should, her lips are pinkish instead of red, the flower should be on the side and not on the back of her head, and the composition is not great but I guess it could have been worse.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

Sotiris wrote:Her hair and arms look shorter than they should, her lips are pinkish instead of red, the flower should be on the side and not on the back of her head, and the composition is not great but I guess it could have been worse.
Here’s the thing though... Disney is one of the biggest companies on earth. There is NO excuse for their artwork on their dvds to be anything but picture perfect. Any great graphic designer could make covers better than these. They’re never on model, the proportions are always wrong, and usually they’re not appealing to look at. It’s embarrassing, and I cannot believe they keep on whoever it is designing these covers... especially because I’m sure they are paid quite well for such sub par work that thousands of designers would kill to do and do ten times better. These releases should be worth collecting. And there’s no reason these movies also shouldn’t be visually cohesive on the shelf. It’s soemthing we’ve accepted for so long, but there’s no excuse for it from a company as big as Disney.
Disney's Divinity

It’s better than the Diamond cover and the horrible DVD cover. That’s all I can say. Ursula’s coloring is right--for once***--and aside from her smile/teeth being screwed up, she looks better than on the Diamond, even despite the fact that they put her in an improved version of that awful clipart pose they’ve used for years and years. Sebastian and Flounder look perfect. Ariel has some flaws, but still better than the last time around, imo. Too bad they didn't put Triton's palace in the distance in the space behind Ariel's back. At least it’s not hideous like the Lion King cover that was released a month or two ago, so I'm grateful.

Maybe there will be a steelbook or something with a prettier cover made available, too.

***Actually, now that I think of it, this might be the FIRST time her coloring's been right on a home media release cover. Her best look was on the first VHS release but they still gave her gold earrings; the VHS re-release gave her green makeup (I hate the way her face/arms look on this cover even if I'm glad they at least used her tentacles, but it would've been better if they just copied the lithograph entirely); the Platinum gave her green makeup and golden earrings; the Diamond just the green, and finally now her coloring is correct.
Hardbackyoyo
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Hardbackyoyo »

JeanGreyForever wrote:Maybe this will spark interest in Disney giving it a proper restoration.
I posted a comment on Disney Animation Studio's Facebook page, pleading for them to give it one.
Last edited by Hardbackyoyo on Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The Lion King 4K Ultra HD

Standard release

Target exclusive

Best Buy exclusive

ImageImageImageImageImageImage