Oscar for Best Animated Feature 2018

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Oscar for Best Animated Feature 2018

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:If they were all the films submitted, the number wouldn't be the same every year and it wouldn't always be so round. Also, I think it would be bigger.
You have a point there. The whole thing is a little peculiar.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Yes, the Academy does some odd things sometimes, but as some articles are pointing out, there are more films that are not on the list either like Deadpool 2 or Venom, and I think it would be strange that none of them were submitted for the award. From them, at least Deadpool 2 was campaigning the film in that category. So that's another reason why I think that list doesn't include all the submitted titles.
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has announced the 20 films that are in contention for this year’s Best Visual Effects Oscar race, narrowing down the field. Those that didn’t make the cut include Sony Pictures’ Venom and 20th Century Fox’s Deadpool 2, as well as Netflix’s Andy Serkis-directed Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle. But aside from these absences, there are no genuine “snubs” to be found.
Source: http://collider.com/oscars-visual-effec ... list-2018/
Some VFX-rich box-office hits that didn’t make the cut include Pacific Rim Uprising, Rampage, Deadpool 2, The Meg and Venom.
Source: http://www.studiodaily.com/2018/12/acad ... ontenders/

Sotiris wrote:I hope DreamWorks' 2D-animated short "Bird Karma" gets nominated this year. It would be an insensitive for the studio to keep making 2D shorts.
Unfortunately, the short wasn't nominated for the Annie. And, though it isn't in 2D, neither was Pixar's Bao. We'll see if they have more luck at the Oscars.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Yep, every year, a committee selects 20 films for a long list, which is then whittled down to 10 and then, eventually, the final five nominees.

Mowgli not making the top 20 is particularly interesting, as Netflix specifically gave it a limited theatrical run to qualify the movie for visual effects recognition. So this must sting for both Netflix and Andy Serkis.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

And Golden Globes noms are in!
Best animated feature film

“Incredibles 2”

“Isle of Dogs”

“Mirai”

“Ralph Breaks the Internet”

“Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-ent ... f560cf71ac

Not surprising: Slaughter Race didn't get in. Surprising: Neither did a Mary Poppins song. :o
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I'm very surprised Mirai got nominated. This makes it the first anime to be nominated in this category and the second one overall. Previously, only The Wind Rises was nominated in the Foreign Language category. The film was also selected as Best Animated Film of 2018 by the Florida Film Critics Circle.
ce1ticmoon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ce1ticmoon »

I saw Mirai last night. I thought it was a welcome return to form for Hosoda after The Boy and the Beast, which I found disappointing. Surprised to learn that this is the first anime film to be nominated in the category. Perhaps GKIDS nabbing it this time helped... I feel like it would have been passed over if Funimation got it like the other ones.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

estefan wrote:Yep, every year, a committee selects 20 films for a long list, which is then whittled down to 10 and then, eventually, the final five nominees.
Thanks for confirming that!

I was also surprised to see Mirai among the nominees given that the Hollywooh Foreign Press normally only chooses mainstream animated films, but I didn't know it was the first anime to achieve that.
ce1ticmoon wrote:I saw Mirai last night. I thought it was a welcome return to form for Hosoda after The Boy and the Beast, which I found disappointing.
I watched the trailer the other day and it looked quite interesting. I also found The Boy and the Beast a bit disappointing, but I really liked The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and The Wolf Children from that director. I hope Mirai is more similar to these two movies.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Mirai is the third straight GKIDS release to get a Golden Globe nomination, following My Life as a Zucchini and The Breadwinner. They're a distributor that really knows how to make sure awards voters give their films a fighting chance.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:Unfortunately, the short wasn't nominated for the Annie. And, though it isn't in 2D, neither was Pixar's Bao. We'll see if they have more luck at the Oscars.
Evidently, there's a reason for that.

Here's The Reason The Annie Awards Nominated Only Independent Shorts This Year
https://www.cartoonbrew.com/awards/here ... 67510.html
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^OK, that explains it. Anyway, I think it's something positive that they have started to be more open to international and independent productions. By the way, I didn't know people had to pay to submit a short for the awards. Seems a bit unfair. Well, at least they're now letting independent filmmakers to submit their shorts without charge.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The nominations for the Washington, D.C. Area Film Critics Association Awards are out. Update: Isle of Dogs won in the category.

Best Animated Feature

Incredibles 2
Isle of Dogs
Mirai
Ralph Breaks the Internet
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

The nominations for the Houston Film Critics Society Awards are out. Update: Isle of Dogs won in the category.

Best Animated Film

Incredibles 2
Isle of Dogs
Mirai

The nominations for the International Cinephile Society Awards are out. Update: Isle of Dogs won in the category.

Best Animated Film

Have a Nice Day
Isle of Dogs
Mary and the Witch's Flower
Mirai

The nominations for the Detroit Film Critics Society Awards are out. Update: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse won in the category.

Best Animated Feature

Incredibles 2
Isle of Dogs
Smallfoot

The nominations for the Los Angeles Online Film Critics Society Awards are out. Update: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse won in the category.

Best Animated Film

Incredibles 2
Isle of Dogs
Mirai

The nominations for the Chicago Film Critics Association Awards are out. Update: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse won in the category.

Best Animated Feature

Incredibles 2
Isle of Dogs
Ruben Brandt: Collector

The nominations for the San Francisco Film Critics Circle Awards are out. Update: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse won in the category.

Best Animated Feature

Incredibles 2
Isle of Dogs
Mirai

The nominations for the Phoenix Critics Circle Awards are out. Update: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse won in the category.

Best Animated Film

Incredibles 2
Isle of Dogs
Miral

The nominations for the St. Louis Film Critics Association Awards are out. Update: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse won in the category.

Best Animated Feature

Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation
Incredibles 2
Isle of Dogs

The nominations for the Utah Film Critics Association Awards are out. Update: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse won in the category.

Best Animated Feature

Incredibles 2
Isle of Dogs
Teen Titans Go! to the Movies

The nominations for the Seattle Film Critics Society Awards are out. Update: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse won in the category.

Best Animated Feature

Incredibles 2
Isle of Dogs
Mirai

The nominations for the Greater Western New York Film Critics Association Awards are out. Update: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse won in the category.

Best Animated Film

Incredibles 2
Isle of Dogs
Mirai
Teen Titans Go! To the Movies

The nominations for the North Carolina Film Critics Association Awards are out. Update: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse won in the category.

Best Animated Film

Incredibles 2
Isle of Dogs
Teen Titans Go! To The Movies

The nominations for the Columbus Film Critics Association Awards are out. Update: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse won in the category.

Best Animated Film

Incredibles 2
Isle of Dogs

The nominations for the Austin Film Critics Association Awards are out. Update: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse won in the category.

Best Animated Film

Incredibles 2
Isle of Dogs
Mirai
Spider-man: Into the Spider-verse

The nominations for the Georgia Film Critics Association Awards are out. Update: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse won in the category.

Best Animated Film

Incredibles 2
Isle of Dogs
Mirai

The nominations for the Denver Film Critics Society Awards are out. Update: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse won in the category.

Best Animated Film

Have a Nice Day
Incredibles 2
Isle of Dogs

The nominations for the Alliance of Women Film Journalists EDA Awards are out. Update: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse won in the category.

Best Animated Film

Incredibles 2
Iisle of Dogs
Mary and the Witch's Flower
Smallfoot

The nominations for the Latino Entertainment Journalists Association Awards are out. Update: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse won in the category.

Best Animated Feature

Incredibles 2
Isle of Dogs
Mirai

The nominations for the Music City Film Critics Association Awards are out. Update: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse won in the category.

Best Animated Feature

Incredibles 2
Isle of Dogs

The nominations for the Online Film Critics Society Awards are out. Update: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse won in the category.

Best Animated Feature

Incredibles 2
Isle of Dogs
Mirai

The nominations for the Critics' Choice Awards are out. Update: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse won in the category.

Best Animated Feature

Dr. Seuss' The Grinch
Incredibles 2
Isle of Dogs
Mirai

The nominations for the Online Film & Television Association Awards are out. Update: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse won in the category.

Best Animated Picture

Incredibles 2
Isle of Dogs
Mirai
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^Wow, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is winning all the film critics' awards!

By the way, according to Variety, this year the list of eligible scores and songs won't be released by the Academy:
Music for “Solo: A Star Wars Story,” “Green Book,” “Mandy” and “The Other Side of the Wind” has been disqualified for various reasons, Variety has learned.

More than 150 scores are in the running, although only the approximately 300 music-branch members have access to the list when they log onto the Academy website to cast their ballots. This year, unlike previous years, the Academy chose not to release the complete rundowns of qualified scores and songs.

An estimated 70 songs also qualified this year, but none of the most talked-about tunes were lost during the vetting process, sources said.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:By the way, according to Variety, this year the list of eligible scores and songs won't be released by the Academy
I've heard about that. It also applies to the Animated Short category. It's a frustrating and unnecessary change. There's no valid reason why they can't release the initial list of submitted entries first and a shortlist later on like they already do for some categories.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:I've heard about that. It also applies to the Animated Short category. It's a frustrating and unnecessary change. There's no valid reason why the can't release the initial list of submitted entries first and a shortlist later on like they already do for some categories.
Yes, it's a shame. I was interesting to see which titles were actually submitted and which ones weren't. Like when we discovered Disney finally only submitted one song from Moana instead of the two they were initially promoting for the award. Now we won't know all that interesting stuff.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

A lot of shortlists were revealed today by AMPAS.

Animated Short Film

Ten films will advance in the Animated Short Film category for the 91st Academy Awards. Eighty-one films had originally qualified in the category.

Age of Sail
Animal Behavior
Bao
Bilby
Bird Karma
Grandpa Walrus
Late Afternoon
Lost & Found
One Small Step
Weekends

Visual Effects

Ten films remain in the running in the Visual Effects category for the 91st Academy Awards.

Ant-Man and the Wasp
Avengers: Infinity War
Black Panther
Christopher Robin
First Man
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
Mary Poppins Returns
Ready Player One
Solo: A Star Wars Story
Welcome to Marwen

Makeup and Hairstyling

Seven films will advance in the Makeup and Hairstyling category for the 91st Academy Awards. Members will vote to nominate three films for final Oscar consideration.

Black Panther
Bohemian Rhapsody
Border
Mary Queen of Scots
Stan & Ollie
Suspiria
Vice

Original Song

Fifteen songs will advance in the Original Song category for the 91st Academy Awards. Ninety songs were eligible in the category.

“When a Cowboy Trades His Spurs for Wings” from The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
“Treasure” from Beautiful Boy
“All the Stars” from Black Panther
“Revelation” from Boy Erased
“Girl in the Movies” from Dumplin’
“We Won’t Move” from The Hate U Give
“The Place Where Lost Things Go” from Mary Poppins Returns
“Trip a Little Light Fantastic” from Mary Poppins Returns
“Keep Reachin’” from Quincy
“I’ll Fight” from RBG
“A Place Called Slaughter Race” from Ralph Breaks the Internet
“OYAHYTT” from Sorry to Bother You
“Shallow” from A Star Is Born
“Suspirium” from “Suspiria”
“The Big Unknown” from “Widows”

Original Score

Fifteen scores will advance in the Original Score category for the 91st Academy Awards. One hundred fifty-six scores were eligible in the category.

Annihilation
Avengers: Infinity War
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
Black Panther
BlacKkKlansman
Crazy Rich Asians
The Death of Stalin
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
First Man
If Beale Street Could Talk
Isle of Dogs
Mary Poppins Returns
A Quiet Place
Ready Player One
Vice
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Eight out of the ten shorlisted animated shorts have been made available online for a limited time. Watch them while you can. There are plenty of good ones this year. I wasn't able to track down "Animal Behavior" or "Weekends" which is a shame especially since the latter seems rather interesting. Update: Now all ten are available online!

Age of Sail
Animal Behavior
Bao
Bilby
Bird Karma
Grandpa Walrus
Late Afternoon
Lost & Found
One Small Step
Weekends

Here's how I'd rank them:

Grandpa Walrus
Late Afternoon
Lost & Found
Bao
Bird Karma
Weekends
Animal Behavior
Age of Sail
One Small Step
Bilby

I'm rooting for Grandpa Walrus to win. I find its unique blend of Ghibli and Sylvain Chomet sensibilities particularly engaging and compelling. I also feel it's the most ambitious one both in terms of storytelling and character animation. It's no surprise it won the César Award for Best Animated Short last year.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:Eight out of the ten shorlisted animated shorts have been made available online for a limited time. Watch them while you can. There are plenty of good ones this year. I wasn't able to track down "Animal Behavior" or "Weekends" which is a shame especially since the latter seems rather interesting.
Thanks for letting us now and for sharing the links to the shorts, Sotiris! It's a shame those two aren't available, but there are more titles online than other years. You're right, several of them are quite good. I think Bao is still my personal favorite, but I thought the top three on your ranking were among the best ones too. I was surprised that two of the shorts were from DreamWorks. It seems they now want to compete with Pixar in this category too. I liked both, though Bird Karma is probably the better of the two.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:It's a shame those two aren't available, but there are more titles online than other years.
Weekends has been released online as well. It's really good. I've updated the related post and my ranking accordingly. Only one short hasn't been made available yet from the ten that were shortlisted. This must be some sort of record. I'm glad filmmakers have finally started to realize that releasing their shorts online is a good way to promote their work and gain publicity and exposure.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:Weekends has been released online as well. It's really good.
Great! I agree, it's really good. I hope the remaining short, Animal Behaviour, is eventually released as well.
Sotiris wrote:I'm glad filmmakers have finally started to realize that releasing their shorts online is a good way to promote their work and gain publicity and exposure.
It is. I don't know why most filmmakers hadn't realized it before.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

I saw Spider-Man the other night and it indeed deserves the Oscar over Incredibles 2. Incredible animation, strong & pretty mature story, and such good & developed characters!