Beauty and the Beast (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Beauty and the Beast (Live-Action)

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Disney Duster wrote:
blackcauldron85 wrote:A few months ago, my dad turned on the tv and 2015's Cinderella came on, just the last few minutes, and I just complained...nothing was "right" (same as the original), but I literally saw 3 minutes so I had no context as far as the 2015 film).
What did you mean by "same as the original"? That the original didn't feel right or that it didn't feel the same as the original and that it being the same would have felt right?
Hi! I l saw the last 3 or so minutes of the 2015 film, so I had no idea what was going on. It was Ella, Kit, and Ella's family in a room. Because I had no context, because I didn't know what was going on, I only could compare it to the 1950 film (or R+H's version I suppose). I don't doubt that I would probably like the 2015 film based on all the good things I've read about it, if I accept it as its own film and not compare it... I just meant that scene was different from the 1950 one, and so it felt off to me- that's not how my "Cinderella" is. But had I seen the whole film, or even more than just a few minutes, I'd understand what was going on...and not only have the 1950 film as a blueprint (I don't know if I make sense!.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

The ending of the live-action Cinderella isn't that different from the animated one, with the exception of the portraits of Ella and Kit's parents. Unless you mean the scene where Kit and Ella reconcile and she puts on the glass slipper. That is different from the animated film but it's more along the lines of Walt Disney's original concept for the scene before the prince's role was sidelined and he was replaced with the Grand Duke.

Is there a reason you haven't seen the live-action film for it, especially since you mentioned that you've heard good reviews for it and think you would like it?
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
blackcauldron85

I didn't even see the glass slipper part. I'd need to rewatch the few minutes of the film that I did see-It was 3 minutes of a film I saw months ago and I don't remember exactly what was going on, just that it was so different from the animated one...

The remakes aren't a priority for me to see. I saw TJB because were needed something to do on vacation. But I have heard good things about the remake, and if I ever have time to watch it, I might.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I don't blame you for avoiding the remakes. If you liked The Jungle Book then you'll probably like Cinderella as well. You must have seen the scene right after Ella puts on the glass slipper and she and Kit are leaving the house with Ella saying that she forgives her stepmother.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thanks for explaining Amy. I would say the ending is rather different from the original, which is something I like. I would have liked a replica as well, but I prefer seeing something a little different and new. I would check out Cinderella. I think it can be too sweet in the beginning and a little boring, but that it has enough good to be worth a watch. I recommend it. I love it despite it's faults.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney created an illustration based on a pose from the live-action movie, just like they did with Cinderella.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/DisneyPrincess ... 583622620/

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Beast's mouth looks a little odd in that drawing, but aside from that, I think both pictures are pretty.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

That's super cool!
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I like it. A lot :)
Disney's Divinity

I wasn't sure where exactly to post this though. I was updating that estimated ticket sales list I made some years ago (blackcauldron85's posts in the Live-Action Renaissance thread triggered my memory), and then I was thinking about how popular One Hundred and One Dalmatians was when I was a child in the '90s to the point that there was merchandise for the film everywhere (I have a bunch of stuffed animals in storage, lol) and how the film apparently has dropped in Disney's esteem over the years for some reason? Which made me think that maybe the film was re-released in the '90s following the Glenn Close film they made, and that was part of the reason the film was so big at that time 60-some years after its original release.

And now I wonder why Disney hasn't thought about having a theatrical re-release for the origianl Beauty and the Beast after the 2017 film was as huge as it was? I know the film has been re-released a couple of times since I've been a teenager (once in Imax and then once again a few years ago), but it would probably do better business with the 2017 film having just been out not long ago. As money-hungry as Disney is, I'm surprised they haven't at least considered it. If it did well, they'd have incentive to do the same with the original Aladdin / TLK after the two live-action films are released next year, too. I guess I'd just like to see the originals get some fanfare and add to their own sales records. :lol:
blackcauldron85

^^Thanks for sharing that link! Is that international or domestic ticket sales?

As far as 101D, the animated film was re-released in 1991 in theaters, and the VHS came out in 1992. I remember there was merch for that release, then obviously 4-5 years later for the live-action film.

I think that B&tB 3D didn't do nearly as well as hoped, and the Pixar 3D re-releases didn't do great at the box office, so until a new technology appears, I can't imagine theatrical re-releases for older films, but obviously I could be wrong.
Disney's Divinity

Domestic. I'm not sure if BoxOfficeMojo offers international ticket sales though. I saw that they'd finally added information for Cinderella when I was looking through this morning.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Linda Woolverton didn't like the live-action Beauty and the Beast. Do you think it's just sour grapes because she wasn't asked to be involved or does she have a point?

Original 'Lion King' Screenwriter Apprehensive of Remake: "I Wasn't Thrilled With 'Beauty and the Beast'"
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... st-1165869
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I mean she does admit that
"I'm not happy that I don't get to participate. Who would be?"
She says she didn't like the mythology of the new live-action film which is something I agree with.

I also found this point interesting. I'm curious as to what movie she was referring to.
She started as a Saturday-morning cartoons writer in the 1980s. When she caught a Disney feature that left her cold, she said, "I arrogantly thought I could do better."
ImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

But back to Lion King: As Woolverton explains it, the idea was brought to her by Katzenberg, who experienced a personal betrayal by an uncle that led to him "becoming a man."
I wonder who that "uncle" might be... :roll:
blackcauldron85

What stuck out for me in that interview is that she wasn't happy with how others remade the film(s) she originally worked on, but she worked on 2 live-action remakes herself. How did/would people who worked on the original Alice & Sleeping Beauty feel about those remakes, huh?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

blackcauldron85 wrote:What stuck out for me in that interview is that she wasn't happy with how others remade the film(s) she originally worked on, but she worked on 2 live-action remakes herself. How did/would people who worked on the original Alice & Sleeping Beauty feel about those remakes, huh?
That's actually a really valid point which I didn't think about. What's more interesting is that the two remakes of the films she's worked on are still pretty close to the originals compared to the remakes she had a hand in. Live-action Alice and Maleficent are shockingly different from their animated counterparts. However, I've noticed a trend that the Walt era films tend to be very different, likely because they're older, whereas the 90s films still have very strong nostalgia so they have to be more accurate to the original films for the fandom to appreciate them.
ImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

JeanGreyForever wrote:However, I've noticed a trend that the Walt era films tend to be very different, likely because they're older, whereas the 90s films still have very strong nostalgia so they have to be more accurate to the original films for the fandom to appreciate them.
Fingers crossed they won't do the same with the live-action Snow White. They didn't with Cinderella.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

And The Jungle Book wasn't so different either. Except the awful very end.

I agree, JeanGreyForever, the mythology should have stayed the same. I also just hate that Paris scene. I'm ok with making LeFou gay to expand his character. What I will never understand is why his actor said he didn't feel LeFou was gay but the director said he was. Maybe he felt he wasn't gay from what he read but played him as gay.

Very good observation blackcauldron85!

What do you mean about the uncle Disney's Divinity?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Sotiris wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:However, I've noticed a trend that the Walt era films tend to be very different, likely because they're older, whereas the 90s films still have very strong nostalgia so they have to be more accurate to the original films for the fandom to appreciate them.
Fingers crossed they won't do the same with the live-action Snow White. They didn't with Cinderella.
I feel they'll be better when it comes to their treatment of Snow White. Besides the fact that Snow White has sort of an untouchable status, we also know that Disney is planning on making it a musical like the animated movie so it can't stray that far from the original.
Disney Duster wrote:And The Jungle Book wasn't so different either. Except the awful very end.

I agree, JeanGreyForever, the mythology should have stayed the same. I also just hate that Paris scene. I'm ok with making LeFou gay to expand his character. What I will never understand is why his actor said he didn't feel LeFou was gay but the director said he was. Maybe he felt he wasn't gay from what he read but played him as gay.
I'm not a fan of the ending either but I'm assuming it was chosen to segway into a sequel. Nevermind that the ending of the original book has him go back to the man village yet there's still a sequel to the book but I trust Jon Favreau.

The only thing I liked about the Paris scene was seeing Notre Dame since it felt like an easter egg to Hunchback but even I know that 99% didn't mean anything about a live-action Hunchback film.

I never realized that Josh Gad didn't play LeFou as gay. I assumed he knew the character was meant to be portrayed that way.
ImageImage