The Lion King (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
robster16
Special Edition

Re: The Lion King (Live-Action)

Post by robster16 »

So... what do we expect to see in the teaser trailer?!

For me I think it's a toss-up between part of the Circle of Life opening of the movie. They won't give away the entire thing, cause that's too long, so it would have to be chopped up at some level, which kind of makes me think they will do something else entirely. It got me thinking that they might go for a scene of Rafiki in the tree discovering that Simba is alive, drawing a mane on the lion cib drawing on the bark of the tree, ending the trailer by proclaiming "He's Alive!"

Which I think could be a wonderful tagline for the teaser poster, a recognizable quote from the movie, a great plotpoint and a play on the transition from 2D animated to "live action" CGI animation...

I'm curious to see what we'll end up seeing!
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

JeanGreyForever wrote:The timing between the two movies really is off, not to mention Avengers 4 and even Toy Story 4. Solo suffered in part from Disney's own competition and I feel as though all of Disney's properties are going to be working against each other here. I always felt that The Lion King and Aladdin should never have been released back to back. They are both event movies and one of them should have been saved for 2020.
I couldn't agree more. What were they thinking? I really hope this doesn't affect Aladdin's box office earnings.
robster16 wrote:So... what do we expect to see in the teaser trailer?! For me I think it's a toss-up between part of the Circle of Life opening of the movie.
That was the proof-of-concept which was shown at various cons so it's highly plausible. They already have the footage ready and it's been audience approved.
robster16 wrote:Which I think could be a wonderful tagline for the teaser poster, a recognizable quote from the movie, a great plotpoint and a play on the transition from 2D animated to "live action" CGI animation.
I doubt they'll do the latter. They wouldn't want to associate themselves with an "inferior" medium. :roll:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Perhaps Disney's expectations for Aladdin weren't as high as they were for B&tB or TLK. For some reason, I thought Aladdin was going to be in the May-June area and TLK in the Fall. I guess they didn't want anything crowding in on Frozen 2? 2019 is definitely stacked...

Glancing at the Wikipedia page for 2019, there's a crapload of things coming out next year. Spider-Man 2, Terminator 6, HTTYD3, The Lego Movie 2, Dark Phoenix, It: Chapter Two, etc. Artemis Fowl is going to flop for sure. And I just read about the new adaptation of Little Women with Emma Watson, Meryl Streep, and Timothee Chalamet. I don't expect that to be huge, but it would be nice if it did moderately well.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yeah, JeanGreyForever, Aladdin and The Lion King should be further apart!
robster16 wrote:...ending the trailer by proclaiming "He's Alive!"

Which I think could be a wonderful tagline for the teaser poster, a recognizable quote from the movie, a great plotpoint and a play on the transition from 2D animated to "live action" CGI animation...
Omg that's a great idea!
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

I hope they show something at CCXP in São Paulo. Not my favourite, but I'm willing to take it.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

I have a feeling the lion king gets delayed.
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

I think they're releasing the first trailer today.

https://twitter.com/LightsCameraPod/sta ... 4402244608
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Why am I pumped :lol: :lol: :lol:
robster16
Special Edition

Post by robster16 »

Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I’m crying. This is beautiful!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

robster16
Special Edition

Post by robster16 »

Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I thought the teaser trailer was going to make me more excited about the film but I just felt 'meh' about it. The teaser poster is underwhelming too. They could have done something more inspired and grand considering the wealth of imagery the original provides. This looks more of a poster for DisneyNature's African Cats than it does for The Lion King.
WarriorDreamer
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WarriorDreamer »

Sotiris wrote:The teaser poster is underwhelming. They could have done something more inspired and grand considering the wealth of imagery the original provides.
I think it is simple and effective. I'm sure there will be more grand posters to come like the circle of life scene. I liked the teaser trailer, great animation. :up:
Will Barks
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Will Barks »

I‘m kind of speechless. This gives me huge uncanny valley vibes. Am I in the minority with this? The whole thing looks and feels like a cheap CGI rip-off off the original. Why do I have the feeling this will still make hundreds of millions of dollars? :roll:
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Live action remakes I get .... but CGI versions of 2D animation ?? Leaves me really cold.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

About what I expected—more in the vein of TJB. I think this would probably have got an even bigger reaction out of an unsuspecting audience if James Earl Jones hadn’t returned. Not that anyone could fill his shoes or that I would have wanted anyone else playing Mufasa, just that random people sitting in a theater might not quite have realized what they’re seeing right away—until “Circle of Life” comes in—if a different voice had been speaking the words. I wish they had shown Scar.

I like the poster, with Simba not able to fill Mufasa’s pawprint.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Atlantica wrote:Live action remakes I get...but CGI versions of 2D animation? Leaves me really cold.
I have to agree. Even though most of the footage was a frame-by-frame recreation from the original, I couldn't shake the feeling something was lacking. That exuberance of hand-drawn animation, that "plus-ing" needed to create the illusion of life. Everything was so much more subdued, mundane and ordinary. From the muted color palette to the designs to the expressions and movement of the characters.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Well, to give my thoughts: It would be wrong to say that I'm dissapointed by the teaser, but it still made me somewhat feel meh. The animals had an generic, uncanny valley-esque look to them (unsurprisingly, since most of the live action remakes had a pretty generic look to the CGI characters). Yes, such a look makes sense, since it's supposed to be an "live action" version, after all. But come on, they don't have to look completely photorealistic! And to see the realistic animals against the grandeur of The Circle of Life-chant made it a little odd and laughable.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

I love love the poster actually. Very simple, but unexpected. I thought it would be Rafaki’s picture of Simba in vein of the other teaser poster.

The movie looks like what it’s expected: A shot-by-shot CGI recreation of the 2D movie with little creativity, minus the character design. They couldn’t even make slight changes to Pride Rock. But the character design of the two characters sold me the movie. I’m blown away by it and baby Simba esepecially looks incredible! And then....adult Simba comes in and what a generic generic design! As soon as JEJ spoke and the beginning notes of COL played, my heart literally stopped beating and I nearly started cryibg. So, first part of trailer did nothing. Second part warmed up. Third part blew me away....and lost me.