Missing Link (Laika)

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Missing Link (Laika)

Post by Sotiris »

Laika's newest film is called "Missing Link".
LAIKA, the animation studio behind the Academy Award® nominated Kubo and the Two Strings, The Boxtrolls, ParaNorman, and Coraline, announces its fifth and most ambitious film to date: Missing Link. The title, U.S. release date (Spring, 2019) and complete cast details were revealed today by LAIKA President & CEO Travis Knight as he prepares to meet with foreign buyers at the Cannes Film Festival. Missing Link will be distributed in the U.S. by Annapurna Pictures. AGC International, the sales and distribution division of AGC Studios, is handling international sales.

“Missing Link is an artistic and technical wonder,” said Mr. Knight. “Led by our visionary director Chris Butler, LAIKA has once again blended fine art, craftsmanship, and cutting-edge technology to achieve something we’ve never tried before: a raucous comedy entwined with a swashbuckling epic, underscoring the universal need to find belonging. Commingling keenly felt emotion, madcap humor, and retina-bursting visuals, Missing Link is a kaleidoscopic cinematic experience unlike any other. It’s the most striking thing we’ve ever done.”

The charismatic Sir Lionel Frost (voiced by Hugh Jackman) considers himself to be the world’s foremost investigator of myths and monsters. The trouble is none of his small-minded high-society peers seems to recognize this. Sir Lionel’s last chance for acceptance by the adventuring elite rests on traveling to America’s Pacific Northwest to prove the existence of a legendary creature. A living remnant of Man’s primitive ancestry. The Missing Link.

Zach Galifianakis is Mr. Link: the slightly silly, surprisingly smart and soulful beast upon whom Sir Lionel’s dreams depend. As species go, he’s as endangered as they get; he’s the last of his kind, and he’s lonely. Proposing a daring quest to seek out his rumored distant relatives, he enlists Sir Lionel’s help in an odyssey around the world to find the fabled valley of Shangri-La.

Together with Adelina Fortnight (voiced by Zoe Saldana), an independent and resourceful adventurer who possesses the only known map to the group’s secret destination, the unlikely trio embarks on a riotous rollercoaster of a ride. Along the way, our fearless explorers encounter more than their fair share of peril, stalked at every turn by dastardly villains seeking to thwart their mission. Through it all, Mr. Link’s disarming charm and good-humored conviction provide the emotional and comedic foundation of this fun-filled family film.

Bursting with humor, heart, and a profound message of acceptance and finding one’s place, Missing Link is written and directed by Oscar® nominee Chris Butler (ParaNorman). LAIKA’s head of production and Oscar® nominee Arianne Sutner (ParaNorman, Kubo and the Two Strings) is producing with Mr. Knight, who earned an Academy Award® nomination and BAFTA win for his directorial debut on Kubo.

“It was a constant source of delight to witness how our game and captivating cast imbued these larger- than- life characters with distinct personality,” said writer/director Chris Butler. “Hugh lends Sir Lionel a giddy schoolboy enthusiasm bubbling beneath the surface of his suave English gent; Zoe brings an unflappable ardor and a witty playfulness to Adelina, and Zach's performance as Link is not only laugh-out-loud funny, but a beautifully nuanced balance of innocence and vulnerability. It was a treat to be able to join this eclectic gang of adventurers on their journey across the world.”

In addition to Jackman, Saldana and Galifianakis, the estimable voice cast boasts a roster of internationally renowned and award-winning actors from all corners of the world. Oscar® winner Emma Thompson (Sense and Sensibility), Stephen Fry (The Hobbit), Timothy Olyphant (Justified), Matt Lucas (Alice In Wonderland), David Walliams (Little Britain), Amrita Acharia (Game of Thrones) and Ching Valdes-Aran (Nurse Jackie) bring their extraordinary talents to this globe-trotting spectacle.

“It's only now with our fifth film that as a team we have the experience, the know-how and the collaborative confidence to even attempt a movie of this size and scope,” said producer Arianne Sutner. “We created 110 sets with 65 unique locations to achieve the film’s scale, majesty and geographic beauty. I couldn’t be more in awe of our LAIKA crew members. Their endless reserves of imagination were pushed to the limit during the production of this ambitious movie, and we ended up soaring past those limits.”
Source: https://www.laika.com/news/missing-link

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Re: Missing Link (Laika)

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I had wondered what Laika was up to just the other day. This sounds interesting. I haven't disliked any of their films yet though.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Good to hear from Laika. The premise does not excite me in the least but I have faith that the finished film will.

Btw, is Travis Knight still attached to direct a live-action film? I remember comments on Cartoon Brew questioning his plans for Laika when that was announced (and following his acclaimed Kubo directorial debut.)
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Travis Knight is currently in post-production on a Transformers movie centered on Bumblebee, that will be released around Christmas. That was the live-action movie he was directing. He's probably dividing his time between his Laika duties and supervising the final edit on Bumblebee right now.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Disney's Divinity

Jules wrote:Good to hear from Laika. The premise does not excite me in the least but I have faith that the finished film will.
This is honestly the way I felt about most of their films post-Coraline, to varying degrees. The previews don't look interesting, the story sounds like something I would have to force myself to sit through, but then I end up liking the films. The Boxtrolls was probably the biggest divide for me, personally—the previews made it seem like such a nothing little film, but it ended up being my favorite from Laika so far.

They need to find a way to better promote their films.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

estefan wrote:Travis Knight is currently in post-production on a Transformers movie centered on Bumblebee, that will be released around Christmas.
Well, that was ... fast. :lol: Many movies get hung up in development hell - seems like this wasn't one of them. I do hope he returns to Laika full-time following the Bumblebee movie. I don't want to sound closed-minded, but I get a bit annoyed when a good animation director defects to live-action. I'm like "There are plenty of live-action fish in the sea. I want more animated fish! Like NOOOOW!" :twisted: :P
Disney's Divinity wrote:They need to find a way to better promote their films.
Agreed. I wonder whether Laika took care of their own promotion or whether Universal handled that exclusively for their first four films. Universal certainly knows how to promote the Illumination films.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

The trailer's here!!! Looks great!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vM5VC7nCv_Y#
(via animatedviews.com)
Disney's Divinity

I'm still not too excited about this, but I have more confidence in Laika than any other studio right now.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

Here is a ridiculous thing. In the swedish voice credits for Missing Link only four characters voices are credited. There are simply lumped in under Additional Voices. That's very strange !
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I just watched this. It was so good!! I was on the edge of my seat, it was adventurous, and had heart and excitement. Great movie!!
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

This is currently my favorite animated movie of this year. I thought it was great !!

Toy story 4 is my second favorite by the way.