Chris Williams Left Disney

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Chris Williams Left Disney

Post by Sotiris »

Another director has left WDAS. In just 5 years, we've had John Kahrs, Patrick Osborne, Nathan Greno, John Musker, and Kevin Deters exiting the studio in search of greener pastures. Other high-profile people who recently left include Glen Keane, Andreas Deja, Claire Keane, Clio Chiang, Clay Kaytis, and Lino Di Salvo.

Chris Williams started his career at Disney as a story artist on Mulan. He continued working in the story department for Lilo & Stitch, The Emperor's New Groove, Chicken Little and more until he eventually transitioned to directing. He's most known for directing Glago's Guest, Bolt, and Big Hero 6 for which he won an Oscar. At one point he was set to direct an iteration of King of the Elves before the project was shelved. Most recently he was credited as an executive producer on Ralph Breaks the Internet. Before leaving, he and Don Hall were planning to direct their second original feature together.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Re: Chris Williams Left Disney

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

So many established people from the studio are leaving. They better do something that prevents even more of them from leaving. There are probably a lot of talented newcomers around, but you still need some experience and guidence from the older guard.

(Nathan Greno is active in this board by the way: http://www.byrnerobotics.com/forum/foru ... PN=0&TPN=4)
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

He's found work, though: ‘Big Hero 6’ Director Chris Williams To Make Original CG Film ‘Jacob And The Sea Beast’ For Netflix
https://www.cartoonbrew.com/feature-fil ... 66129.html
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

The Sea Beast trailer:
https://youtu.be/DhqQOQ3kP5E
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Farerb wrote:The Sea Beast trailer:
https://youtu.be/DhqQOQ3kP5E
It doesn't look completely bad, but the animation is a bit TV quality and several story elements seem inspired by Moana. They even used Moana (and Big Hero 6) to promote it, which I find curious considering this is a Netflix film. Though, come to think of it, I believe they also used Disney titles in the trailers for Glen Keane's Over the Moon.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

My opinion is that the animation looks cheap and the voice acting feels like the actors are only there for a paycheck. I don't think I'm even going to bother with it, it will probably depend on reviews.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

D82 wrote:They even used Moana (and Big Hero 6) to promote it, which I find curious considering this is a Netflix film. Though, come to think of it, I believe they also used Disney titles in the trailers for Glen Keane's Over the Moon.
I remember one of the trailers for DreamWorks's "Mr. Peabody and Sherman" included "From the Director of The Lion King", because of Rob Minkoff. I also recall that was one of the big selling points of "Stuart Little."

It will be interesting if Musker and Clements's Warner Bros movie brings up their prior credits in the advertising.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

estefan wrote:I remember one of the trailers for DreamWorks's "Mr. Peabody and Sherman" included "From the Director of The Lion King", because of Rob Minkoff. I also recall that was one of the big selling points of "Stuart Little."
You're right; I remember The Lion King being used to promote those movies too. After writing my comment, I also recalled having seen "from the producer of Shrek" and I think even "from the writer of Shrek" in trailers for animated movies that weren't from DreamWorks, so I guess it's a common practice. I suppose it caught my attention more on this occasion because they mentioned not only one, but two Disney movies, which almost made it seem like a Disney trailer. But Chris Williams has only worked at Disney before, so it makes sense they would only include films from the studio.

Something I forgot to say is that the sea creatures reminded me of How to Train Your Dragon a little. Regarding the animation quality, I guess the budget for this was lower than what Netflix spent on Over the Moon, for example.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Another example I remembered later is Coraline being advertised as "from the director of The Nightmare Before Christmas." Which is accurate, but since far more people think Tim Burton directed Nightmare rather than Henry Selick, that also seemed like they were trying to make people assume Coraline was a Burton movie, despite his complete lack of involvement. You can't call it "false advertising", because the posters and trailers didn't lie. But the marketing team also knew exactly what they were doing.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I remember that too. Yeah, it's probably true they took advantage of that, but since Selick doesn't get the credit he deserves for directing The Nightmare Before Christmas, it only seems fair to me they could benefit a bit from that circumstance.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Another trailer for The Sea Beast:
https://youtu.be/P-E-IGQCsPo
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

It still doesn't look too good to me. And the sea beasts look like they were made of play dough. However, it says it'll be released in select theaters first, so maybe Netflix has some faith in it.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

D82 wrote:It still doesn't look too good to me. And the sea beasts look like they were made of play dough. However, it says it'll be released in select theaters first, so maybe Netflix has some faith in it.
I agree, it doesn't look good.
They release it in theaters so it will be eligible for the Academy Awards, but I doubt it'll be nominated.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I agree, it doesn't look particularly good. It looks like an average, forgettable, mid-budgeted European CG film. I found the dialogue in particular to be lacking. By the way, it's quite a stretch to refer to Williams as the filmmaker behind Moana. :eyebrow: He was a mere co-director which is Disney-speak for an assistant director. He was not one of the key creative talents on the film like a director, producer, or screenwriter.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

The monster on the poster looks like a random dragon from How to Train Your Dragon. The generic sailor outfit is the same as Eric's.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Farerb wrote:They release it in theaters so it will be eligible for the Academy Awards, but I doubt it'll be nominated.
I doubt it too.
Sotiris wrote:By the way, it's quite a stretch to refer to Williams as the filmmaker behind Moana. :eyebrow: He was a mere co-director which is Disney-speak for an assistant director. He was not one of the key creative talents on the film like a director, producer, or screenwriter.
I guess it was convenient for them to include Moana due to its popularity and the similar setting, but you're right.
Disney's Divinity wrote:The generic sailor outfit is the same as Eric's.
It's true, it's quite similar. I hadn't noticed that.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I just finished watching The Sea Beast, and I think it's just as good as the movies Disney has been putting out (all of which I've liked). I'm super impressed. I was on the edge of my seat through most of it.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Yes, it was much better than it seemed from the trailers. I still didn't like the designs of the sea monsters, as I mentioned in another thread, and I think they borrowed a bit too much from How to Train Your Dragon. The red sea beast, in particular, looked a lot like Toothless. Not just the design, but also the expressions and movements. Anyway, I think Chris Williams did a good job overall.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

SEA BEAST 2 IS IN THE WORKS. BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE.

The Sea Beast has become Netflix's most watched animated movie of all time, and has propelled its filmmaker, Chris Williams, into signing an overall deal with the streamer.

As part of the deal, he is developing a sequel that will bring back the heroic monster hunter, Jacob, and his newly adopted daughter, Maisie. (Will Red come back? Read on!)

But, sword and sorcery lovers rejoice, he is also working on an original fantasy feature in the tradition of Lord of the Rings with the attitude of The Princess Bride.

We caught up with Williams, who won an Oscar for Big Hero 6, over breakfast, where the Disney vet got candid about leaving the company for Netflix after 25 years, the emerging AI debate, and what's next.
https://view.email.hollywoodreporter.co ... 96d0f26a99
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

I hope someone at Disney is kicking themselves after seeing his success elsewhere