Zootopia 2

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Re: Zootopia 2

Post by JeanGreyForever »

As long as it doesn't turn out to be like Wreck-It Ralph 2, with overt product placement and shameless promotion of the more lucrative Disney properties, I'll be looking forward to this.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

If it's as good as the first, very much looking forward to it :)
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Rich pretty much just hinted it.
@WolfMoon35
@_rich_moore I miss Zootopia being popular lol
@_rich_moore
@WolfMoon35 This is only temporary, Basil.
https://twitter.com/_rich_moore/status/ ... 1693990913
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

So...

Tangled- Short, plus animated series. Strong presence in the parks
Wreck It Ralph- sequel
Frozen- Big megahit- presence in parks, broadway musical, shorts, sequel...
Big Hero 6- animated series
Zootopia- Sequel
Moana- prob too early to count, but i'm sure it'll get something in the longrun

And poor PATF...Like it gets nothing. At least it has a strong presence in the parks.

I'm not sure if it's a racism issue or a anti-2D issue. After all Pooh Bear's sequel also got nothing. (but that's a special case so I'm not sure I should count Pooh with the others).
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

thedisneyspirit wrote:So...

Tangled- Short, plus animated series. Strong presence in the parks
Wreck It Ralph- sequel
Frozen- Big megahit- presence in parks, broadway musical, shorts, sequel...
Big Hero 6- animated series
Zootopia- Sequel
Moana- prob too early to count, but i'm sure it'll get something in the longrun

And poor PATF...Like it gets nothing. At least it has a strong presence in the parks.

I'm not sure if it's a racism issue or a anti-2D issue. After all Pooh Bear's sequel also got nothing. (but that's a special case so I'm not sure I should count Pooh with the others).
I think Moana grossed similarly to Big Hero 6 (or less), but it wasn't the major megahit that Disney may have wanted like Frozen and Zootopia. Nor was it a big merchandise seller either. I think the film at most will get an animated series or something like that. Maybe a TV special or short, although Disney seems to reserve those for their biggest hits (Toy Story, Frozen, etc.). I don't think Disney will be interested in making a sequel for a film that they feel didn't gross enough and thus doesn't have the potential to be a huge franchise to match others like Despicable Me or Toy Story. This is also probably why even though Big Hero 6 could easily spawn a sequel, Disney doesn't seem interested in making one, hence the TV series.

PATF really isn't commercially or critically as successful as the others. It may have gotten good reviews when it came out, but box office results didn't match, and the film was all but forgotten with Tangled. I know people who don't remember anything about this film now, and even remember Enchanted more, even though that come out years before it. Nor does it fit Disney's attempt at focusing on their CGI films, and one could even argue that it doesn't fit into the Revival (I personally don't think it does anyway).
ImageImage
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

I think Princess and the frog lacks appeal for one reason. Its not racism or hate of hand drawn, its that the main goal is about a restaurant. I just don't relate to that.

Ratatouille also wasn't my fav because of similar themes.

On top of that, frogs are hard to make appealing.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Doing anything with TP&TF would involve putting a spotlight on the death of hand-drawn animation, which isn't advantageous for Disney to do.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Rich Moore has pretty much confirmed the Zootopia sequel at a Wreck-It Ralph 2 press event.
About Zootopia sequel. Rich states that the ending of Zootopia is very suitable to make a new story, which is a good news to actually making a sequel. And I can say that Disney may indeed though about that according to his saying.
https://twitter.com/YiBoZONE/status/1055485738630795264

And it's quite possible that Nick and Judy will indeed be a couple at the end of it. They haven't decided yet. Will the sequel be a metaphor for gay marriage?
But the problem bothers them a lot is that the fans of #Zootopia is very conflicted. According to their survey. Half support that Nick&Judy should have a romantic relationship, but the other fans think that they should stay only good friends. And they still don’t know what to do
https://twitter.com/YiBoZONE/status/1055487303022346240
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Personally, I think the sequel should be a metaphor for/commentary concerning interspecies/interracial relationships/marriage in general, not just on gay marriage.
Disney's Divinity

Yeah, I was thinking more like interracial marriage, but, just like Elsa (who can be seen as a metaphor for so many different things--a person with a disability or mental issue of some kind, a LGBT character, a women's struggles in a male-dominated position of power, etc.), it would signify different things to different viewers.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

So glad to hear that Zootopia 2 is in the works. I hope they don't mess it up like they did Wreck-It Ralph 2 though.
ImageImage
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Zootopia made over a billion dollars, so a sequel or a television series was inevitable at some point.

I would personally prefer if Nick and Judy remain friends and colleagues. Not every male and female lead in a movie needs to become romantically involved.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

When was the last time we had a genuine romance out of a Disney film tho? And in the Starvel universe romances are also nonexistent. Come on, a little romance never hurt anybody. Especially in the world of Zootopia where it'd be fascinating to see a relationship explored.

Funny how people pull the "omg they need to be friends!!!" shit when the characters have the possibility of being in an interracial romance (and in the spotlight, not background characters like Lumiere and the feather duster). Rey can't go with Finn cause she's too "independent" (yet she can with Kylo Ren?), Jyn can't kiss Diego Luna, Clara can't fall in love with the Nutcracker Prince unlike previous adaptations, and Nick and Judy must only be friends...Yet the MCU can have all the white couples in the world in the background, and young Han Solo can kiss the Khaleesi all he wants, and everything's fine and dandy. :roll:

Bottom line; you're racist.
Disney's Divinity

I was actually just having a similar conversation about Keith and Shiro on Voltron earlier today. People always want no romance when there's a chance of diversity popping up in something they watch.

Btw, nobody's talking directly about you, estefan, more how these things play out in fandom.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Divinity wrote:People always want no romance when there's a chance of diversity popping up in something they watch.
But it doesn't apply in this case. A male fox and a female rabbit hooking up is not diversity no matter how much people want to pretend that their potential romance can be used as a metaphor for interracial/same-sex relationships. If your representation is just subtext and metaphor, then it's not real representation. Not to mention, there will be an unfortunate association between gay people/people of color and animals if they go through with it.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Honestly, I'm not sure how I feel about Judy and Nick being a couple either. I liked how they were just friends and partners because it's rare to see two members of the opposite sex as just friends and not a couple. Disney has started to subvert that now, at least with their fairy tale films. It seems they're more afraid of the stigma of a "princess" being in a relationship now compared to heroines like Judy who don't fit that archetypal mold. I would like them to address whether or not interspecies relationships are permitted in Zootopia or not.
ImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:I liked how they were just friends and partners because it's rare to see two members of the opposite sex as just friends and not a couple.
I agree. Though I prefer it that way, I wouldn't have minded if they had been romantically involved in the original either. However, now that they've established them as friends, a romantic relationship wouldn't be too believable, at least not to me.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I think platonic relationships between men and women are frequently underrepresented in media that seems intent on pushing heterosexual romances. Or maybe I've just been watching too many CW shows and their constant obsession with love triangles. But it fuels the idea that men and women can't be just friends.

I also appreciated that Moana and Moui had a platonic relationship with no romantic feelings whatsoever. I do support the "Give Elsa a girlfriend" movement, though. :)
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Expect the announcement at D23 next year.
@_rich_moore

Thanks Juan! Today belongs to R&V, but we may see more of our favorite fluffy heroes soon!
https://twitter.com/_rich_moore/status/ ... 18432?s=21
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I'm almost afraid to be hyped for this because after WIR2, I wouldn't be surprised if this film ends up being retooled to focus on the Zootopia versions of the Disney classics. So more offensive parodies of Disney's legacy.
ImageImage