The Nutcracker and the Four Realms

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
D82
Signature Collection

Re: The Nutcracker and the Four Realms

Post by D82 »

New clip, poster and activity set.
Sotiris wrote:Their accents make the song sound more Italian than Spanish. Speaking of which, it's odd they've released a Spanish version but not an Italian one yet.
They have a strong Italian accent, but their Spanish is decent in my opinion. The Italian version does also exist, I found it the other day, but I didn't post it because it was blocked in my country on the official Youtube channel. Now I've found it on another channel, as well as the French, German and Russian versions. Each country has also a mix version:

- Fall On Me (Italian Version): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59WqOdqC1SQ
- Fall On Me (Italian Mix): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZUBqOni7is
- Fall On Me (French Version): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGx9NWKP3Uo
- Fall On Me (French Mix): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o0nD-m9ZO8
- Fall On Me (German Version): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77SfzbVviEs
- Fall On Me (German Mix): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj5s486ePOw
- Fall On Me (Russian Version): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bba19lV6lJI
- Fall On Me (Russian Mix): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1tr1vQNtnk
- Fall On Me (English Mix): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckAFKxnAG7U
Sotiris wrote:I hope the movie gets recognized this award season for its production design, costume design, and cinematography.
I hope it gets nominations for at least one of these categories as well. I think it will depend in part on the reviews the film gets and its box office performance. It also has strong competition from its own company in those categories from Mary Poppins Returns and Black Panther.
Sotiris wrote:The scene didn't need exposition though. It was distracting, unnecessary, and diminished the impact of what was happening on stage.
I agree, that bothered me a bit too. I also got the feeling that scene will be quite short, which is disappointing. I like how it is staged, though, and that it pays homage to the ballet.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Sotiris wrote:I hope the movie gets recognized this award season for its production design, costume design, and cinematography.
Me too!
Sotiris wrote:I believe this is the first time they advertised the movie as coming from the studio that made The Jungle Book. Until now, they only used Beauty and the Beast as a selling point in their ad campaign. Interesting. Is this their attempt to appeal to the male demographic? Also, I wonder if the line "I guess I'm not in London anymore" was an intentional reference to The Wizard of Oz.
Yes, I wondered if it was a Wizard of Oz reference. For The Junle Book mentioning, I am pretty sure it's because both it and Beeauty and the Beast were Disney's most successful live-action movies of late.
Sotiris wrote:The scene didn't need exposition though. It was distracting, unnecessary, and diminished the impact of what was happening on stage.
Oh, I didn't mind, but you are right that it would be much better if we just go to see a beautiful ballet. It just may be a little weird. It would not be like a movie scene. It would be like, well, stopping a movie to watch a ballet for a few minutes.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:New clip, poster and activity set.
I like this new, bordered version of the logo. It reminds me of the one they did for Frozen.

D82 wrote:Now I've found it on another channel, as well as the French, German and Russian versions. Each country has also a mix version.
Thanks for posting all those versions. After listening to them, I can confirm the song sucks in every language. :lol: While an Oscar nomination is a long-shot, it may actually get nominated for a Golden Globe. Members of the foreign press are the ones who vote for those and Bocelli is pretty popular in Europe.
Disney Duster wrote:It just may be a little weird. It would not be like a movie scene. It would be like, well, stopping a movie to watch a ballet for a few minutes.
I think it would have been just fine. It's a a short scene, anyway. It's OK for movies to give the audience some breathing room and let them immerse themselves in the film's world. It's not necessary to constantly have dialogue or exposition. This scene doesn't need it. The concept of the four realms had already been explained before this scene so the ballet interpretation of that is self-evident.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

New promos:
https://twitter.com/thenutcracker/statu ... 0541932544
https://twitter.com/thenutcracker/statu ... 1487638528
https://twitter.com/OhMyDisneyLA/status ... 9123033090

The whole soundtrack has been uploaded to Youtube. Here are two tracks whose titles are not spoilery:
The Nutcracker and the Four Realms - James Newton Howard
The Nutcracker Suite - Lang Lang

Misty Copeland reveals in an interview that, in addition to the ballet number, she'll appear in an end-credits scene:
Misty’s character, the Ballerina, was added into the film to incorporate the integral dance sequence through which we learn about the four realms.

“It’s Keira Knightley and Mackenzie Foy and they’re all sitting there watching me perform a ballet within the movie and through my movement of the ballet, I’m telling the stories of the realms. So, you know, the land of the sweets and the flowers and the snow. And then there’s like the dark fourth real,” she explained. “It’s a small part of the film, but it links everything together and then there’s like a fun little bit that we have at the end of the credits.
Source: https://hellobeautiful.com/3016123/mist ... tradition/

Disney Duster wrote:Hey, does anyone else wonder why Mother Ginger is wearing...a suit? And doesn't look like...a mother? In the ballet, Mother Ginger wears a huge dress out of which come her children. Here she's wearing pants. Is it because she's in battle? But Clara's still wearing a skirt in battle. I just don't get how she doesn't look like a mother from either the 19th or 18th centuries the film's costumes are from.
This article includes a featurette about the costumes and Mother Ginger appears with another outfit in it. They don't show a shot of the entire look, but it looks more like what the character wears in the ballet. It also has some things in common with her other costume, so I wonder if it's the same dress that she transforms into one for battle.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Sotiris wrote:I think it would have been just fine. It's a a short scene, anyway. It's OK for movies to give the audience some breathing room and let them immerse themselves in the film's world. It's not necessary to constantly have dialogue or exposition. This scene doesn't need it. The concept of the four realms had already been explained before this scene so the ballet interpretation of that is self-evident.
I thought the scene was going to tell some things we hadn't learned before. But I suppose just watching a ballet for a few minutes could work in a film.
D82 wrote:This article includes a featurette about the costumes and Mother Ginger appears with another outfit in it. They don't show a shot of the entire look, but it looks more like what the character wears in the ballet. It also has some things in common with her other costume, so I wonder if it's the same dress that she transforms into one for battle.
Oh, thank you! Yes, there are two shots of the dress and it is exactly the kind of thing that looks like "Mother Ginger" to me.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:New promos
That second promo is quite spoiler-y. Then again, maybe it's only if you know the spoilers in advance.
Disney Duster wrote:Yes, there are two shots of the dress and it is exactly the kind of thing that looks like "Mother Ginger" to me.
I really like Mother Ginger's original costume too. It quite befitting the representative of the Land of Amusements. We also got confirmation from that costume featurette that the film is set in Victorian era.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

• Featurette in Spanish about Hawthorne, played by Mexican actor Eugenio Derbez: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPYJ4fvfx2o

• International version of this TV spot in better quality: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef7ot5dMCJQ

• And new promo: https://twitter.com/thenutcracker/statu ... 3910247425

Sotiris wrote:That second promo is quite spoiler-y. Then again, maybe it's only if you know the spoilers in advance.
Maybe, because I don't know all the story and I didn't find it particularly spoilery. Though I know the info about the twist villain and every promo with Keira's character seems spoilery to me now. :lol:

Disney Duster wrote:Yes, there are two shots of the dress and it is exactly the kind of thing that looks like "Mother Ginger" to me.
Maybe you had already seen it, but I hadn't noticed until now that the full costume is shown at the beginning of the video when the title of the featurette appears.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh I didn't notice! Thank you.

I agree Sotiris, and I'm glad you like the costume, too.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

If the characters in the Realms learn that Clara is Marie's daughter...they (or at least Phil(l)ip does!) recognize the last name Stahlbaum...would child Marie have had this name? Doubtful, unless she married someone with the same last name as her...So did Marie go back to the Realms as an adult?

And I know I just had this complaint last week regarding Emma Watson's Belle-- Clara (and maybe everyone at the party)- you know you're going outside in the snow-- where are your sweaters?! :shrug:
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Is Disney not submitting The Nutckracker for Oscar consideration in any category? :shock: They just updated their FYC website and it's not included at all. The movie actually has a good chance of getting nominated in the artistic categories (production design, costume design, makeup & hairstyling) so it's odd they may be not submitting it. This would be very disrespectful to the filmmakers and the entire cast and crew who worked on it. The only explanation I can think of as to why they're doing this, is them trying to avoid competition with Mary Poppins Returns in the same categories.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Not being included on the FYC website doesn't mean it won't be submitted. I remember The BFG and Tomorrowland weren't included on the FYC website and they still made the best visual effects shortlists. The Lone Ranger also didn't get a spot on their FYC website and it got two nominations (for makeup and visual effects).

Solo isn't listed on the FYC website, but it still has a very good chance of being nominated for best visual effects.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

^If that's the case then it must mean that the ones which are included on the FYC website are the only ones actually being promoted and pushed for the awards. They might submit the rest of them (fingers crossed) as a formality but won't spend any time and money on an awards campaign.
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

Sotiris wrote:Is Disney not submitting The Nutckracker for Oscar consideration in any category? :shock: They just updated their FYC website and it's not included at all. The movie actually has a good chance of getting nominated in the artistic categories (production design, costume design, makeup & hairstyling) so it's odd they may be not submitting it. This would be very disrespectful to the filmmakers and the entire cast and crew who worked on it. The only explanation I can think of as to why they're doing this, is them trying to avoid competition with Mary Poppins Returns in the same categories.
They have the review embargo set for less than 24 hours before the movie hits theaters, which means they have very little faith in the movie financially. Doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a bad movie, but in most cases when an embargo is set that close, it usually doesn’t mean good things for the quality of the film. My guess is that it’s a combination of both the lack of faith in the movie as well as trying to clear a pathway for Mary Poppins at the Oscars.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:Maybe, because I don't know all the story and I didn't find it particularly spoilery. Though I know the info about the twist villain and every promo with Keira's character seems spoilery to me now.
I was referring to how the Sugar Plum Fairy tells Clara that Mother Ginger is the bad guy who started the war and then immediately after Drosselmeyer warns Clara that nothing is what it seems. I thought that was a dead giveaway even for people who didn't know the twist.
nomad2010 wrote:My guess is that it’s a combination of both the lack of faith in the movie as well as trying to clear a pathway for Mary Poppins at the Oscars.
I was hoping that embargo thing was done so as not to reveal the suprise villain twist of the story too early but you're probably right. Disney doesn't believe in the film. That's disappointing.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

• Interviews with Mackenzie Foy and Keira Knightley.

• New book covers: • New theater standee and mural.

• And you can listen to the soundtrack here: https://twitter.com/UMG/status/1056214061074079745

Sotiris wrote:I was referring to how the Sugar Plum Fairy tells Clara that Mother Ginger is the bad guy who started the war and then immediately after Drosselmeyer warns Clara that nothing is what it seems. I thought that was a dead giveaway even for people who didn't know the twist.
Oh, OK. I thought it had something to do with that big clock. Yes, you're right. Even the people who don't know the twist can guess it by that promo. I think I noticed it the first time I watched it too, because I remember I had the same thought while watching one of the promos. This other one also gives some hints at the twist.

That the review embargo doesn't lift until a day before the release isn't a good sign. I think they don't expect too good reviews.

And I hope they submit the film in several categories even if they don't do an awards campaign for the movie. They've been highlighting the production design and the costumes quite a lot in articles and featurettes, so I think they will submit the film at least in those two categories. But after knowing what they did with Infinity War (they're only submitting it for Best Visual Effects, so it doesn't compete with Black Panther in other categories), I wouldn't be surprised if they're doing the same with this film because of Mary Poppins Returns, as you mentioned, Sotiris.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Sotiris wrote:Is Disney not submitting The Nutckracker for Oscar consideration in any category? :shock: They just updated their FYC website and it's not included at all
There's no Christopher Robin either. I didn't like it at all, but I was rooting for a miracle to have Jim Cummings get nominated for Supporting Actor as Pooh and Tigger. And by gosh, does he deserve recognition for the movie!
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I didn't notice Christopher Robin wasn't there either. I guess because I had no hopes it could be nominated for an award. I would've liked a nomination for Richard Sherman in the best song category, but I knew it was very difficult. Anyway, the best song in the film was the second after the credits, so I guess it would've been ineligible. Jim Cummings does a great job in the film, but it's very unlikely they'd nominate a voice performance at the Oscars.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

D82 wrote: That the review embargo doesn't lift until a day before the release isn't a good sign. I think they don't expect too good reviews.
I'm not surprised by this. Disney hasn't shown much faith in this film for several months now and frankly after what I've seen of the plot, I don't blame them. There's nothing in this film that Disney hasn't already done before and it doesn't take any dark elements from the original that has endeared The Nutcracker to a new generation who've "rediscovered" it. I do believe that Disney will be praised for the production design because every detail of the world building so far has sounded phenomenal. It's a pity that the script isn't better to match the visuals.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:But after knowing what they did with Infinity War (they're only submitting it for Best Visual Effects, so it doesn't compete with Black Panther in other categories), I wouldn't be surprised if they're doing the same with this film because of Mary Poppins Returns, as you mentioned, Sotiris.
It's totally unfair. Respect your filmmakers and submit all your movies in all eligible categories. It's just the right thing to do. Give all of them a sporting chance and let them compete on their own merits, for crying out loud. It's up to Academy members to decide anyway and they can sometimes be unpredictable so why not submit all of them just in case?
D82 wrote:I would've liked a nomination for Richard Sherman in the best song category, but I knew it was very difficult. Anyway, the best song in the film was the second after the credits, so I guess it would've been ineligible.
I would have been thrilled if Richard were to be nominated again after 39 years but Disney squandered any chance of that from the start. By not only placing the most promising song as the first one at the end credits and by not having a professional singer perform it, they doomed any chance he might have had. They should have reserved the version sung by Richard as a bonus on the soundtrack and gotten Kenny Loggins, or someone else associated with this type of music, perform it the movie. Then they could have made a music video for that version and promoted it a bit. It's not that difficult!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's calling the film "The most magical movie event of the season". I'm surprised; I thought they were going to reserve that kind of claim for Mary Poppins Returns.

New promos:
https://twitter.com/thenutcracker/statu ... 2000410624
https://twitter.com/thenutcracker/statu ... 3305404416
https://twitter.com/thenutcracker/statu ... 4855304194
https://twitter.com/DisneyStudiosIE/sta ... 1427544065