The Nutcracker and the Four Realms

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Re: The Nutcracker and the Four Realms

Post by JeanGreyForever »

D82 wrote: I agree. I respect her opinion, but I think she probably shouldn't bite the hand that feeds her. Mackenzie Foy doesn't seem to share the same view on that: https://youtu.be/z6wckCJ2sjY?t=44
Thanks for posting that. I'm glad Mackenize Foy doesn't have the same views as Keira here. I love Keira Knightley but I saw that article some time back and it just rubbed me the wrong way.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

New, clock-themed TV spot.
JeanGreyForever wrote:I love Keira Knightley but I saw that article some time back and it just rubbed me the wrong way.
Meh, I'm used to it. I don't agree, of course, but it's common nowadays for celebrities to criticize the older princesses so as to appear good, progressive feminists. It's not like they've done their homework, used their critical thinking skills or given it any real thought. They just parrot what they hear from pop culture and believe is culturally acceptable.
JeanGreyForever wrote:Yeah, I'm not happy with the name either but at least it's spelled different from Aurora's Phillip if that's any consolation.
It's not because they aren't even staying consistent with its spelling. :|

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPX2fncsOdw

D82 wrote:Yeah, it's clear it wasn't specifically made for the movie. I don't think it will be eligible for the Oscar either.
Even if it turns out to be eligible due to some sort of technicality, I doubt it'll get nominated. It's a pretty weak ballad. Too generic and forgettable. The only thing that might sway voters is the Bocelli name.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I really like the clip we saw. Clara's acting is pretty good and Sugar Plum's I really like. Her voice is much better there.

Wow, Mackenzie Foy's favorite Disney princess is Cinderella! And it's because she's so kind and happy! You know, it may also be because she "really like"s the time period that Cinderella comes from, and maybe even that bustle dress (if Cinderella's is a bustle dress!). I love seeing the 19th century costumes in Nutcracker just like Mackenzie as well as sharing our love of Cinderella!

Keira Knightly I wouldn't write off as just aping what she hears around her, but she could be, too. I hope for her daughter's cultural education sake (and just being happy sake) she sees those movies later in life.
MrXemnas1992
Limited Issue

Post by MrXemnas1992 »

>yet another person jumping on The Little Mermaid hate bandwagon.

Keira Knightly is cancelled.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Sotiris wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:I love Keira Knightley but I saw that article some time back and it just rubbed me the wrong way.
Meh, I'm used to it. I don't agree, of course, but it's common nowadays of celebrities to criticize the older princesses so as to appear good, progressive feminists. It's not like they've done their homework, used their critical thinking skills or given it any real thought. They just parrot what they hear from pop culture and believe is culturally acceptable.
JeanGreyForever wrote:Yeah, I'm not happy with the name either but at least it's spelled different from Aurora's Phillip if that's any consolation.
That's certainly true but it's not particularly pleasant to hear the same comments being regurgitated over and over, especially since most of these celebrities have done work for Disney so it comes off as ungrateful.

Lol, I didn't even notice that. To be fair, Sleeping Beauty's Phillip is also often spelled as "Philip," which frankly makes more sense since he was named after the real Prince Philip.
ImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Another TV spot, new featurette and new music video of Fall on Me with footage from the film. The music video is a bit spoilery in the sense that it seems to show images from the ending, though what it shows is nothing unexpected for a Disney movie ending.
MrXemnas1992
Limited Issue

Post by MrXemnas1992 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:
Sotiris wrote: Meh, I'm used to it. I don't agree, of course, but it's common nowadays of celebrities to criticize the older princesses so as to appear good, progressive feminists. It's not like they've done their homework, used their critical thinking skills or given it any real thought. They just parrot what they hear from pop culture and believe is culturally acceptable.
That's certainly true but it's not particularly pleasant to hear the same comments being regurgitated over and over, especially since most of these celebrities have done work for Disney so it comes off as ungrateful.

Lol, I didn't even notice that. To be fair, Sleeping Beauty's Phillip is also often spelled as "Philip," which frankly makes more sense since he was named after the real Prince Philip.
just watch elizabeth swann get inexplicably recasted because of this. XD then again, it's unlikely POTC will get a sixth film, so...clever girl?

i dunno, like an earlier poster said, i feel it's wrong to keep your child from a movie they may enjoy just because "muh progressivism" [and why just those films if the problem is "girl needs a prince"? by that logic...sleeping beauty, snow white, aladdin, tangled, and princess and the frog should be banned by her as well]
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

MrXemnas1992 wrote:
just watch elizabeth swann get inexplicably recasted because of this. XD then again, it's unlikely POTC will get a sixth film, so...clever girl?

i dunno, like an earlier poster said, i feel it's wrong to keep your child from a movie they may enjoy just because "muh progressivism" [and why just those films if the problem is "girl needs a prince"? by that logic...sleeping beauty, snow white, aladdin, tangled, and princess and the frog should be banned by her as well]
Keira isn't going to be fired for this. This is nothing new considering that Meryl Streep lambasted Walt Disney and she was in Into the Woods a year later and now Mary Poppins Returns. If I remember correctly, Angelina Jolie made comments about how she wasn't going to show Disney films to any of her kids back when there was no black princess, yet she ended up starring in Maleficent. Not to mention, Kristen Bell just derided Snow White.

I agree though that POTC is doubtfully going to get another sequel.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

It's not Little Mermaid hate. It's Little Mermaid banning. She actually loves the movie. God what a...well, she really should just let her daughter watch the damn movies if she ever desires to.
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

Disney Duster wrote:It's not Little Mermaid hate. It's Little Mermaid banning. She actually loves the movie. God what a...well, she really should just let her daughter watch the damn movies if she ever desires to.
Yeah that doesn't really make any sense. If anything, I would think showing your children a movie you loved as a child yourself would be a fun thing to do not to mention seeing whatever movie with a child might provide another perspective. I love Keira but I didn't think she would say something that nonsensical.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

New TV spot: https://twitter.com/thenutcracker/statu ... 2033612801

And a Spanish version of the "Fall on Me" music video has also been released: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuw7xBMPWOk
Sotiris wrote:Meh, I'm used to it. I don't agree, of course, but it's common nowadays for celebrities to criticize the older princesses so as to appear good, progressive feminists. It's not like they've done their homework, used their critical thinking skills or given it any real thought. They just parrot what they hear from pop culture and believe is culturally acceptable.
Yes, that's exactly what they do.
Sotiris wrote:Even if it turns out to be eligible due to some sort of technicality, I doubt it'll get nominated. It's a pretty weak ballad. Too generic and forgettable. The only thing that might sway voters is the Bocelli name.
I also think it has little chance of being nominated.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

D82 wrote:• Extended version of the first clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njr2PiLZIV0
So the Fourth Realm was the Land of Amusements!!! I spent my $6 to get the book/CD tonight, so I can't wait to spoil the movie a bit for myself (beyond what already was posted here!)!
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I have to wait until November 30 to see this one. Romanian theaters will only play it then.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

blackcauldron85 wrote:
D82 wrote:• Extended version of the first clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njr2PiLZIV0
So the Fourth Realm was the Land of Amusements!!! I spent my $6 to get the book/CD tonight, so I can't wait to spoil the movie a bit for myself (beyond what already was posted here!)!
Tell us what you feel about what you read. Are you pleased with the overall film so far?
ImageImage
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

^ Hi! Yes, I am extremely pleased with the story. There are just some movies I know I'll love even before I see them, and this is one of them.

Some minor, some larger spoilers/neat things: Clara has a younger brother (who gets tin soldier toys for Christmas) and an older sister (who gets her mom's favorite dress; Clara obviously gets the egg). The realms can view the outside world through the grandfather clock. The inhabitants of the realm were toys brought to life by Clara's mom. They were brought to life by a machine (which the villain uses to make army). The Fourth Realm is never called the Land of Amusements, in this book, anyway. Clara and her dad have a strained relationship, but the lessons learned by Clara on her adventure help their relationship. No romantic love story was in the book. Clara is and her mom was very smart, good at creating/fixing/solving things.

I'm just beyond excited for this movie.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I'm glad you're excited for the film! It sounds like the book/CD you bought is the same one that was posted to YouTube a few days ago which I read. I'm really excited about the part that all the realms can see the real world through the grandfather clock. I'm sure that'll be a visual spectacle.
ImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

• New clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q389udReXt0

• Another TV spot: https://twitter.com/thenutcracker/statu ... 3934930944

• Andrea Bocelli & Matteo Bocelli performance of "Fall on Me" on Dancing with the Stars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIrBku7UHRo

• And a collector's edition magazine about the film is now available: https://www.laughingplace.com/w/article ... available/
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Ooooh, I love that ballet clip! And Mackenzie's acting in it! And I may buy that magazine, that's awesome.

Hey, does anyone else wonder why Mother Ginger is wearing...a suit? And doesn't look like...a mother? In the ballet, Mother Ginger wears a huge dress out of which come her children. Here she's wearing pants. Is it because she's in battle? But Clara's still wearing a skirt in battle. I just don't get how she doesn't look like a mother from either the 19th or 18th centuries the film's costumes are from.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:A Spanish version of the "Fall on Me" music video has also been released.
Their accents make the song sound more Italian than Spanish. Speaking of which, it's odd they've released a Spanish version but not an Italian one yet.
D82 wrote:A couple of promos.
The first one was clearly Fantasia-inspired. I'm glad they're acknowledging Fantasia even if its connection to the movie is tenuous. Mackenzie in the 2nd promo is so cute. I love her innocence and positive energy.
D82 wrote:Textless version of the triptych poster in really high resolution.
That's beautiful. I love the visual approach they went with. I hope the movie gets recognized this award season for its production design, costume design, makeup & hairstyling, and cinematography.
D82 wrote:Another TV spot.
I believe this is the first time they advertised the movie as coming from the studio that made The Jungle Book. Until now, they only used Beauty and the Beast as a selling point in their ad campaign. Interesting. Is this their attempt to appeal to the male demographic? Also, I wonder if the line "I guess I'm not in London anymore" was an intentional reference to The Wizard of Oz.
Disney Duster wrote:Ooooh, I love that ballet clip!
The scene didn't need exposition though. It was distracting, unnecessary, and diminished the impact of what was happening on stage.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage