Mary Poppins Returns

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Re: Mary Poppins Returns

Post by Musical Master »

I actually remembered that if you count the original theatrical cut of Bedknobs and Broomsticks, there was only about 7 songs all together so this isn't a bad song count if that is all of them. Also it's awesome that Marc and Scott are going to more or less talk about the score and songs next month. :D
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Musical Master wrote:I actually remembered that if you count the original theatrical cut of Bedknobs and Broomsticks, there was only about 7 songs all together so this isn't a bad song count if that is all of them.
No, it's not a bad number. Most recent Disney musicals had fewer songs.
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

D82 wrote:
Musical Master wrote:I actually remembered that if you count the original theatrical cut of Bedknobs and Broomsticks, there was only about 7 songs all together so this isn't a bad song count if that is all of them.
No, it's not a bad number. Most recent Disney musicals had fewer songs.
I know, having more than 5-6 songs in a Disney film is considered a blessing nowadays. :wink:
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

The reviews sound very promising! Especially the part about Disney planning to submit Mary Poppins Returns as a Best Picture candidate alongside Black Panther.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

“Director Rob Marshall has created a masterpiece in updating one of the most beloved stories of all time,” said one very high up executive of a large theatre chain. “It is an uplifting story and visually lush film, with happy songs, joyous choreography and some just dazzling animated scenes. In Mary Poppins Returns, once again Disney has made a family movie for the ages.”
This is giving me a lot of hope that this might turn out to be a really, REALLY good movie, possibly Disney's best live action film of the decade thus far. December needs to hurry! :D :D :D :D
JTurner
Gold Classic Collection

Post by JTurner »

A little more than late to the party but I have to echo everyone else's sentiments about the animation sequence in the latest Mary Poppins Returns. It simply looks fantastic. Even if it was outsourced, it doesn't really matter. It still shows that there is still a place in this world for 2D animation. Bravo to director Rob Marshall and Ken Duncan Studio for convincing the Disney execs to go through with having this in the movie. That scene alone has sold me on the film. Before that I would have said "no way, I am NOT going to see this!" But one look at this was all it needed to change my mind.

I was also really pleased to see Dick Van Dyke dancing in the trailer! For someone in his 90's the man's still got it.
JeanGreyForever wrote:So many of the comments are about seeing hand-drawn animation again so I hope if the segments are popular enough, it'll send a message to Disney that 2D animation is not dead. If there is a market to cater to nostalgic fans of Mary Poppins, Beauty and the Beast, etc. then certainly there is a market to cater to the nostalgic fans of 2D animation since that is what Disney is best known for, besides theme parks.
Indeed. I am hoping that this movie is successful enough to show that there is an interest in this artform.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Thrilled to hear about the raves! I was quite worried because the songs, no matter how good they are, honestly sounds like they're repeating the first one. Plus, I was worried the lack of Julie Andrews was going to hold the critics down.

Speaking of Julie Andrews, do you think Angela Lansbury's Balloon Lady was written for Julie? I mean, getting the movie closed by Mary Poppins herself would be an explosion of emotions. I can see why Julie would turn down the role. She would definitely (and honestly rightfully) take Emily's thunder at the end. But, hey if it's isn't Julie, Angela is the one to go to! Maybe she could get a Oscar nomination for a tiny, but moving role?
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

These early reactions are encouraging, but you need to keep in mind they're coming from exhibitors, the director's friend (Bette Middler) and the producer's son (Ben Platt), who aren't critics.

If anyone wants to read Ben Platt's tweet, here it is: https://twitter.com/BenSPLATT/status/10 ... 8388741121
disneyprincess11 wrote:Speaking of Julie Andrews, do you think Angela Lansbury's Balloon Lady was written for Julie?
Supposedly.
Also putting in an appearance is Disney icon Angela Lansbury, who – if unsubstantiated rumours are to be believed – is playing the part originally intended for Andrews. Lansbury appears as a balloon seller in the film’s final sequence, a character from the books.
https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/mary-poppin ... 44245.html
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

Much as I avoid seeing trailers and pics and etc, I went to see the Doctor Who premiere the other day, and they screened the trailer. I didn't look at it, but just looking down and hearing the music, I got teary-eyed. Mary Poppins is so iconic and I'm glad they're apparently doing the property justice in this new movie.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Musical Master wrote:I know, having more than 5-6 songs in a Disney film is considered a blessing nowadays. :wink:
Indeed.
Old Fish Tale wrote:These early reactions are encouraging, but you need to keep in mind they're coming from exhibitors, the director's friend (Bette Middler) and the producer's son (Ben Platt), who aren't critics.
That's true. The fact that Disney has hopes it could get a Best Picture nomination at the Oscars is more encouraging, though.

Regarding Julie Andrews, I wanted her to have a cameo in the film, but after knowing she was most likely offered the role of the Balloon Lady, I'm almost glad she turned it down. I think having her in the movie would've highlighted the fact that she's not playing the title character now and would've made us miss her more as Mary Poppins.
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

The film has been nominated for three awards at the Hollywood Music in Media Awards which the ceremony will be held November 14th.

https://awardswatch.com/2018/10/16/blac ... minations/

ORIGINAL SCORE – SCIFI/FANTASY/HORROR FILM
Alan Silvestri – READY PLAYER ONE (Warner Bros.)
Christophe Beck – ANT-MAN and THE WASP (Walt Disney)
Ludwig Goransson – BLACK PANTHER (Walt Disney)
Marc Shaiman – MARY POPPINS RETURNS (Walt Disney)
Marco Beltrami – A QUIET PLACE (Paramount)
Tyler Bates – DEADPOOL 2 (Twentieth Century Fox)

ORIGINAL SONG – SCI-FI, FANTASY, HORROR FILM
“All the Stars” from BLACK PANTHER (Walt Disney) Written by Kendrick Lamar, SZA, Sounwave, and Al Shux. Performed by Kendrick Lamar and SZA
“Ashes” from DEADPOOL 2 (Twentieth Century Fox) Written by Petey Martin, Jordan Smith and Tedd T. Performed by Celine Dion
“Fall On Me” from The Nutcracker and the Four Realms (Walt Disney) Written by by Ian Axel, Chad Vaccarino, Matteo Bocelli, Fortunato Zampaglione and Chad Vaccarino. Performed by Andrea Bocelli and Matteo Bocelli
“The Place Where Lost Things Go” from MARY POPPINS RETURNS (Walt Disney) Written by Marc Shaiman & Scott Wittman. Performed by Cast.
“Trip A Little Light Fantastic” from MARY POPPINS RETURNS (Walt Disney) Written by Marc Shaiman & Scott Wittman. Performed by Cast.
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

One stealth nominee to look out for is “Mary Poppins Returns” star Emily Blunt. Sources tell me the Rob Marshall-directed sequel is reportedly much stronger than anticipated (and these are reliable sources, not hype-loving theater owners), the film might make you get slightly choked up (have we noted how key that is with Oscar voters?) and that Blunt is simply superb overall. So, don’t dismiss “Poppins” until there’s a legitimate reason to.
https://theplaylist.net/olivia-colman-b ... -20181016/
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

See, I'm feeling Emily's take on Mary!
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Oh, I really hope this is true ! How wonderful would it be if she did get nominated, and even WIN for Mary ? Would it be the first time ever 2 Oscars have been won by different actresses for the same part ?
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Thanks Musical Master and Old Fish Tale for the updates. Mary Poppins Returns is getting nominations even before being released! Well, I guess voters had access to the songs and score in advance. I'm a bit surprised to see the song from The Nutcracker and the Four Realms among the nominees too when, as it was mentioned in that film's thread, it wasn't made specifically for the movie. I guess the rules for these awards are not as strict as the Academy's.
Atlantica wrote:Would it be the first time ever 2 Oscars have been won by different actresses for the same part ?
I think so. According to this article, Marlon Brando and Robert De Niro are the only actors who have won for playing the same character. Among actresses, some have been nominated for the same part, but in none of the cases both have won the award.
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

Atlantica wrote:Oh, I really hope this is true ! How wonderful would it be if she did get nominated, and even WIN for Mary ? Would it be the first time ever 2 Oscars have been won by different actresses for the same part ?
I don't think she'll be nominated, unfortunately. Her competition is extremely fierce this year. Not to mention it's a light role in a family film and the Academy has ignored her so many times before. At this point, I just want the film to be good.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Some small updates:

• Lin-Manuel Miranda shared some images from the set on Instagram: https://ohmy.disney.com/news/2018/10/19 ... 1839415075

• Promo clip announcing the movie is released in 2 months: https://twitter.com/DisneyStudios/statu ... 0063932416

• Theater standee: https://twitter.com/JohnCohen1/status/1 ... 0021124096

• And cardboard cutouts of Mary and Jack: https://advancedgraphics.com/cardboard- ... s-returns/
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

That theater standee looks really nice and it's a pretty cool version of the movie poster that was released recently.
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »