Aladdin (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Re: Aladdin (Live-Action)

Post by JeanGreyForever »

The teaser's description gives more information on some of the supporting cast. Nasim Pedrad's character of Dalia is Jasmine's best friend, whereas I was under the impression that she would serve as a motherly figure for her. Numan Acar's character of Hakim is the captain of the palace guards so I guess Rasoul won't be in this.
Disney's Divinity wrote:This is going to be fantastic. The palace looked underwhelming from a distance; I was hoping they'd mostly keep the animated film's design.
I felt that too. The animated one has such an iconic design. Then again, the Cinderella and BATB palaces/castles didn't resemble the live-action ones either, although I think it worked in Cinderella's case.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

Now that's a really good teaser! I honestly want to watch this one instead of Tim Burton's Dumbo. :wink:
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

JeanGreyForever wrote:Then again, the Cinderella and BATB palaces/castles didn't resemble the live-action ones either.
Well, those are more generic European-style castles which can be pretty interchangable so there's more leeway with changes. The one in Aladdin is much more iconic and stands out as it was influenced by the Taj Mahal. I'm a little disappointed they won't be using the original castle design but I suppose the new one is more accurate for the region it's set in.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Wow, look at all of us! I think this is the first time in forever we are all raving about the same thing.
rodrigo_ca wrote:Friend Like Me sounds so epic I hope they continue to use it or other songs in the same style on other promotional material.
Oh my gosh! YES! I was and am curious about it, but THE ORCHESTRATION!!!! :dance: :dance: :dance: It should be incredible!
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

disneyprincess11 wrote: Oh my gosh! YES! I was and am curious about it, but THE ORCHESTRATION!!!! :dance: :dance: :dance: It should be incredible!
I’m really hoping this is a good idea of what to expect with the score, because the orchstrator for the score is the same man who did the live action Beauty and the Beast, and I personally thought the actual score of that movie was terrible. It really just did not capture any of the sweeping magic, nor the eerie moments in the ways that it should’ve. Aladdin’s score isn’t as subtle, so it should be way more difficult to mess up, but my hopes aren’t too high just yet.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh my gosh the teaser was thrilling I loved it!!! I actually love the Cave of Wonders design. The hair was super cool! Also am dissapointed in the palace but if it's more historically and regionally accurate like Sotiris said, then it's ok. But I really loved Aladdin's costume design!
ChrisLyne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ChrisLyne »

nomad2010 wrote:I’m really hoping this is a good idea of what to expect with the score, because the orchstrator for the score is the same man who did the live action Beauty and the Beast, and I personally thought the actual score of that movie was terrible. It really just did not capture any of the sweeping magic, nor the eerie moments in the ways that it should’ve. Aladdin’s score isn’t as subtle, so it should be way more difficult to mess up, but my hopes aren’t too high just yet.
This makes me a little nervous as I remember how incredible the end credit version of Beauty and the Beast sounded in that final trailer and how bland the actual release was.

Still, we can only go on what's been released and the score in the trailer sounded fantastic.

I loved the way the literally opened with the caravan camels roaming. We finally have confirmation of Iago which makes me unbelievably happy (but no Abu from the looks of that shot where Aladdin entered the cave).

I thought Agrabah looked amazing and loved how the Cave of Wonders looks like it grows out of the mountainside. It gives a mane effect that looks more like a lion than a tiger but I can live with that.

It looks so faithful to the original but just that one shot of outside of the cave, Jafar (whose silhouette was pretty much perfect) not in disguise and what looks to be two palace guards pushing Aladdin towards the cave, hints that it will be something new and different. To quote the stage show "it's the plot that you knew with a small twist or two" and I'm glad of that. A direct adaptation would never stand up to the original, so they need to be faithful but also offer something new and it looks like they're doing that.

Mena looks great as Aladdin. Yes, ok, the purist in me would have preferred it if he was shirtless, but I get that this is much more practical for a live action adaptation. Plus it's a nice nod to his look in the parks. Really hope we get a better look at his full costume (along with everyone else) sooner rather than later.

As much as I've been crazily excited for this I was also pretty nervous but it definitely looks like they're doing it right. Can't wait to see more!
robster16
Special Edition

Post by robster16 »

ChrisLyne wrote:
nomad2010 wrote:I’m really hoping this is a good idea of what to expect with the score, because the orchstrator for the score is the same man who did the live action Beauty and the Beast, and I personally thought the actual score of that movie was terrible. It really just did not capture any of the sweeping magic, nor the eerie moments in the ways that it should’ve. Aladdin’s score isn’t as subtle, so it should be way more difficult to mess up, but my hopes aren’t too high just yet.
This makes me a little nervous as I remember how incredible the end credit version of Beauty and the Beast sounded in that final trailer and how bland the actual release was.

Still, we can only go on what's been released and the score in the trailer sounded fantastic.

I loved the way the literally opened with the caravan camels roaming. We finally have confirmation of Iago which makes me unbelievably happy (but no Abu from the looks of that shot where Aladdin entered the cave).

I thought Agrabah looked amazing and loved how the Cave of Wonders looks like it grows out of the mountainside. It gives a mane effect that looks more like a lion than a tiger but I can live with that.

It looks so faithful to the original but just that one shot of outside of the cave, Jafar (whose silhouette was pretty much perfect) not in disguise and what looks to be two palace guards pushing Aladdin towards the cave, hints that it will be something new and different. To quote the stage show "it's the plot that you knew with a small twist or two" and I'm glad of that. A direct adaptation would never stand up to the original, so they need to be faithful but also offer something new and it looks like they're doing that.

Mena looks great as Aladdin. Yes, ok, the purist in me would have preferred it if he was shirtless, but I get that this is much more practical for a live action adaptation. Plus it's a nice nod to his look in the parks. Really hope we get a better look at his full costume (along with everyone else) sooner rather than later.

As much as I've been crazily excited for this I was also pretty nervous but it definitely looks like they're doing it right. Can't wait to see more!
I suspect that it's not Aladdin we saw entering the cave in that shot, it's Gazeem, who is not a diamond in the rough, so he is devoured by the Cave as it slams shut. I think what we saw mostly in the teaser are shots from the opening, the Arabian Nights scene and then the scene where Jafar first goes to the Cave with Gazeem to try and get the lamp.

I also think Iago will serve as a sort of transition between scenes. We see him in the opening shots with "caravan camels roaming" and then later as we transition from the streets of Agrabah to the Cave of Wonders shot where you can clearly see Jafar and the palace guards, shuffling Gazeem towards the entrance of the cave. In the original it's the equivalent of the street merchant throwing a hand of sand into the air to form a starry night.

I think they will save the appearing of the cave out of the rocks in this case to the point when Jafar takes Aladdin to the cave later on in the movie this time.
ChrisLyne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ChrisLyne »

That's something I didn't consider. You could be right. It looks to be Aladdin when you get a more close up look just before the Cave closes but it's so shadowy you can't tell.

Saving the full reveal of the cave until Aladdin goes there is a good call, that could work really well.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

The teaser looks so good. I'm so excited :D The music was definitely the highlight. And the visuals....oh my God, the visuals look amazing. And that last shot of Aladdin picking up the lamp....made me smile like a damn fool. If The Lion King will be as good, next year will be a great year for Disney!!
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Well, to give my thoughts about the teaser; It was decent enough. But at least it was good to see more than just one shot. And it's clearly that this teaser was modeled after the Beauty and the Beast teaser, by having the trailer conclude with an iconic and epiphanic moment (Aladdin finding the lamp, just as Belle found the rose).
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Sotiris wrote: Well, those are more generic European-style castles which can be pretty interchangable so there's more leeway with changes. The one in Aladdin is much more iconic and stands out as it was influenced by the Taj Mahal. I'm a little disappointed they won't be using the original castle design but I suppose the new one is more accurate for the region it's set in.
It reminds me of the CGI palaces they use in Once Upon a Time, but I'm sure it'll look better in the final film with some grand sweeping shot of the palace. The Broadway musical used a lot of Indian/Bollywood influences but I don't think this film is planning on doing the same.
ChrisLyne wrote: Mena looks great as Aladdin. Yes, ok, the purist in me would have preferred it if he was shirtless, but I get that this is much more practical for a live action adaptation. Plus it's a nice nod to his look in the parks. Really hope we get a better look at his full costume (along with everyone else) sooner rather than later.
I'm actually glad they aren't going the shirtless route, but I wish his vest was purple. For some reason even the Broadway show made it red-orange.
robster16 wrote: I suspect that it's not Aladdin we saw entering the cave in that shot, it's Gazeem, who is not a diamond in the rough, so he is devoured by the Cave as it slams shut. I think what we saw mostly in the teaser are shots from the opening, the Arabian Nights scene and then the scene where Jafar first goes to the Cave with Gazeem to try and get the lamp.

I think they will save the appearing of the cave out of the rocks in this case to the point when Jafar takes Aladdin to the cave later on in the movie this time.
I assumed it was Gazeem as well in that shot. And I think you're right that we didn't see the cave materialize because that shot is from the scene when Jafar takes Aladdin to it. Even in the animated movie, we don't see the Cave of Wonders emerge when Aladdin approaches it.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Terry Rossio, one of the screenwriters of the original Aladdin, had the following to say about the remake.
Terry Rossio: So strange that literally the only words spoken in the new Aladdin trailer happens to be a rhyme that my writing partner and I wrote, and Disney offers zero compensation to us (or to any screenwriters on any of these live-action re-makes) not even a t-shirt or a pass to the park.

Q: Does a studio own all the content in a film once it's in the film or did somebody in advert/marketing maybe just assume that and do they owe you?

Terry Rossio: The studio owns the content on an animated feature. When the films were made, no one foresaw a live action remake so nothing was contracted. Disney has been approached many times for some kind of compensation fee (I asked for a Disney pass) but they answered no, zilch, nada.

Q: I'm confused. They didn't pay you when you came on board? Or they didn't pay to use your writing? Or what?

Terry Rossio: We were paid to work on the original Aladdin which was released in 1992. Now the film is being re-made as a live action feature, using the story and scenes from the original screenplay, with no compensation to the writers (same as Beauty and the Beast, etc.)
Source: https://twitter.com/TerryRossio/status/ ... 5736233984
Terry Rossio wrote:I must hasten to add that screenwriters can't complain too loudly in the animation field. The original storyboard artists, head of story, character designers and animators did not get even as good a deal as the writers, despite being the heart and soul of the process.
Source: https://twitter.com/TerryRossio/status/ ... 5528705024
Terry Rossio wrote:Disney owns the work, owns the words, those are bought and paid for. But when the work is re-made into a (potential) billion dollar film, why not give the original writers (and storyboard artists) some small participation.
Source: https://twitter.com/TerryRossio/status/ ... 3169047552
Terry Rossio wrote:I don't know what the credits will be, I only know there will be no compensation. Linda Woolverton did receive credit on Beauty and the Beast.
Source: https://twitter.com/TerryRossio/status/ ... 2305740800
Terry Rossio wrote:To be fair, Disney paid their contracted fees. It's more a lack of recognition...a remake payment, a chance to view the film, inclusion onto the team, a pass to the park -- one cannot presume generosity, but lacking anything at all seems gauche.
Source: https://twitter.com/TerryRossio/status/ ... 3673466881
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Interesting. I wonder what Musker and Clements think about the remake.

Also it kind of reminds me of Peggy Lee, Mary Costa and Ilene Woods' lawsuit against Disney when they started releasing films on Home Video. Maybe he should sue Disney.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Another reason why Disney isn't obligated to pay the writers of the animated feature is because the Writer's Guild of America doesn't cover animated films. So the screenwriters don't get the same residuals as writers of live-action films. Notice how sequels to animated films don't have the "based on characters created by" credit that we often see in sequels to live-action films? Joss Whedon didn't even get a credit on the Toy Story sequels and Rex was his idea.

It wasn't even until recently that the Writer's Guild started acknowledging writers of animated television series, something which the writers of "The Simpsons" pushed for.

I assume like with Linda Woolverton, Rossio, Elliot, Clements and Musker will receive a "based on the animation screenplay by" credit, but Disney unfortunately isn't required to pay them.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

uncompressed version of the trailer if anyone cares. (youtube compression kills a lot of video quality)

https://trailers.apple.com/trailers/disney/aladdin/
ChrisLyne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ChrisLyne »

Kyle wrote:uncompressed version of the trailer if anyone cares. (youtube compression kills a lot of video quality)

https://trailers.apple.com/trailers/disney/aladdin/
Looks even better! Thanks!
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

The clarity is much more crisp and you can see every little detail better. :)
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Skyler Shuler wrote:Heard some good things about Disney's live-action Aladdin. My favorite thing I heard...Abu and the Carpet have some of the funniest moments in the film!
Source: https://twitter.com/Skylerhxc/status/10 ... 5144388609
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Well, that's the same for the animated film, so I'm not surprised. Abu imitating Jasmine in the marketplace is still one of my favorite moments. Too bad Iago likely isn't going to be funny here.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"