Disney Classics on 4K UHD Coming!

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
MattDean
Gold Classic Collection

Disney Classics on 4K UHD Coming!

Post by MattDean »

Little Mermaid, Lion King and Wreck It Ralph possibly December internationally...From The Digital Bits:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/m ... 92018-1530

Matt
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Re: Disney Classics on 4K UHD Coming!

Post by Vlad »

That is great news. And I'd be super happy if that were true. Both The Lion King and The Little Mermaid look and sound fantastic on their current Blu-rays. I imagine that their 4K presentations would be even more impressive. And who knows, if they receive 4K releases, maybe this means they will receive new digital presentations. But seeing that The Lion King was already released last year as part of The Signature Collection, I'm kinda wondering if this is true. But then again, Beauty and the Beast's 3D Blu-ray was released a year after the Diamond Edition, so anything is possible. :) Maybe this is an un-official confirmation that The Little Mermaid will be the next entry in the Signature Collection.

Disney is just full of surprises lately.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

They probably got that info from this thread on Blu-ray.com.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Matt
Anniversary Edition

Post by Matt »

Why would Disney wait this long to put the animated clsssics on 4K when 8K is around the corner??? They should just wait for 8K. I refuse to quadruple dip!!!!
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

What a funny little array of films that they've chosen .... doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to the section ? Glad Mermaid is included though, for the token Princess film :)
Will Barks
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Will Barks »

Matt wrote:Why would Disney wait this long to put the animated clsssics on 4K when 8K is around the corner??? They should just wait for 8K. I refuse to quadruple dip!!!!
I hardly think the human eye is capable to distinguish between 4K and 8K on the small screen. Most cinemas show films in 2K without people complaining.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Glad to see Disney joining the 4K-club. I just hope this new standard will last for some time considering we know have 8K-TV screens.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I hope that Beauty and the Beast and Cinderella can get proper restorations at least in 4K.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Matt
Anniversary Edition

Post by Matt »

JeanGreyForever wrote:I hope that Beauty and the Beast and Cinderella can get proper restorations at least in 4K.
You’re asking for a miracle lol :lol:
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Matt wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:I hope that Beauty and the Beast and Cinderella can get proper restorations at least in 4K.
You’re asking for a miracle lol :lol:
I know lol. You would think the past Signature edition for BATB would have taught me by now, but I'm nothing if not tenacious when it comes to clinging to hope.
ImageImage
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Hey, maybe if they have to do a whole new transfer for the 4k versions, Beauty and the Beast and Cinderella will how they should like JeanGreyForever and I hope. I'm excited for The Little Mermaid, though, and maybe that will be the next Signature Edition after all like Sicoe Vlad thinks.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Will Barks wrote:
Matt wrote:Why would Disney wait this long to put the animated clsssics on 4K when 8K is around the corner??? They should just wait for 8K. I refuse to quadruple dip!!!!
I hardly think the human eye is capable to distinguish between 4K and 8K on the small screen. Most cinemas show films in 2K without people complaining.
A million times agreed! I'm happy so many people are on the 4K train for no other reason to help keep physical media going, but I have no plans right now to buy any title on 4K. DVD and Blu-ray are just fine for me. As far as I'm concerned, I've bought my last version of all of the Disney Animated Classics. That collection in done, time to move on to other things, which I have.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

For those asking about 8K....

Movies are inherently filmed in 4K. There are higher resolutions, but there’s been very little ever done with those. 4K (quality-wise) is the best it’ll ever get because past that they’re stretching the movies past the size they were created in and thus they would look no different. Plus, the difference between a fictional 8K and 4K would be almost not even visible to the naked human eye. This is quality-wise the best these movies can ever get.
Hardbackyoyo
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Hardbackyoyo »

I honestly can't imagine how much more improved The Lion King can look in 4K. It seems almost superfluous.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Sony is even talking about 10K in the future.

How many pixels are the human eye able to notice? A couple of links in that regard:

https://www.ubergizmo.com/what-is/ppi-pixels-per-inch/

https://www.eizo.com/library/basics/pixel_density_4k/

I'm looking forward to the day when we have a monitor with so many pixels per inch, so many color details and contrasts, and so many images per second, that it is impossible for the human eye to notice any more improvements.
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

Rumpelstiltskin wrote:Sony is even talking about 10K in the future.

How many pixels are the human eye able to notice? A couple of links in that regard:

https://www.ubergizmo.com/what-is/ppi-pixels-per-inch/

https://www.eizo.com/library/basics/pixel_density_4k/

I'm looking forward to the day when we have a monitor with so many pixels per inch, so many color details and contrasts, and so many images per second, that it is impossible for the human eye to notice any more improvements.
Oh yeah, higher resolutions will come along, but the point is that these movies were created and finished in 4K. There’s no more information to get or see, and this this will be the best they will ever look unless they were to go and upscale them which wouldn’t render a visible difference to the human eye.

Either way, for those worried, these 4K releases are a pretty sound investment picture-wise. Bonus features and such is a different story.
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

Anything other than 4K is just absurd. Most movies released in 4K are actually just 2K upscales, since movies finished digitally used a 2K standard in the industry until fairly recently (all Disney movies made in CAPS were finished in 2K). How big does a screen would even need to be to gain on a 8K or 10K format?
DisneyFreak5282
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFreak5282 »

Personally, I see little to no reason to buy these 4K releases - at least right away - should they actually be happening. Since Disney has essentially done away with the formal vault, I trust these releases will be readily available. I'd buy these if they'd make these 4K releases true "Ultimate Collector's Editions" and include all prior bonus features from every home video release (especially knowing that there's plenty of space on the discs), even if it was just the movie on the 4K disc and the features on Blu-Ray discs (or even DVDs).

If they were smart, they'd just put the movies up on their streaming service in 4K and call it a day, since it's clear that they don't care much about their home video releases over this past decade or so.
UDer #3495 :D
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

The Lion King has always been shunted when it comes to home video releases for the Platinum and Diamond lines (I'm not even counting the Signature line since not a single film released under that banner has had a substantial physical release) so if Disney really does plan on going all out with a 4K line, I'm glad this will start it off. But frankly, I doubt Disney has any plans to create the definitive editions of their animated classics.
ImageImage
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Anything above 4k will only be useful for VR imo. I'd love to see higher bitrates though. Particularly for streaming services. It's the one thing holding them back, picture quality wise from blu ray.