The Nutcracker and the Four Realms

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: The Nutcracker and the Four Realms

Post by Disney Duster »

Glad we agree D82!
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

disneyprincess11 wrote:I love the art by the way!
Me too. So cute.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

disneyprincess11 wrote:We finally have the Nutcracker!!!!
At last! I'm glad it's not Clara. I guess it's Philip, because he wears the same uniform. Although the Nutcracker is not black and has a moustache and a beard, so I'm not sure.

Here are also dolls of some of the female characters: https://barbie.mattel.com/shop/SearchDi ... ntPageSize:&
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

The Nutcracker's human form usually doesn't have a moustache or a beard but I'm not sure how they'll explain the skin color change. What's interesting is how static the Nutcracker's poses are in all those images. It almost makes me wonder if he'll be more of an object than a person.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^What you said about the Nutcracker's moustache and beard is true. As for the skin color change, couldn't it be a bit controversial? Maybe that's why they haven't shown the Nutcracker in the trailers and posters, for fear of creating controversy.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I know I said I thought it would be Philip, but I don't think they would have a white doll become a black young man. I wouldn't like that myself. So I don't think it's Philip. Maybe he will stay a doll, but I wish he would come alive like in the original.

Hey Mattel is doing the dolls, which is great and I prefer, but I thought Disney switched to Hasbro?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I'm not sure about the Mattel-Hasbro shift, but I've heard that Disney won't be making any live-action dolls for this film, at least not any of their own that they sell in the Disney Store. Something about the Belle/Emma Watson doll fiasco. I'm not sure how true this is though because they still did make A Wrinkle in Time dolls.
ImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Checking if there were new book covers for this film, I found this synopsis. It's from the book The Nutcracker and the Four Realms: The Secret of the Realms: An Extended Novelization. Do you think the part about Clara's mother (in bold) is part of the story of the movie, or it's just for this book given that it's an extended novelization?
When Clara Stahlbaum receives a beautiful yet mysterious egg-shaped box from her late mother, she wonders what it means. Searching for answers, Clara soon finds herself in a magical world-the Four Realms-where she meets a host of colorful and curious new friends and discovers the fascinating link between the Realms and her dear mother. But when she learns that the Realms are in danger of being destroyed, Clara vows to help.

Years earlier, Clara's mother, Marie, is a lonely orphan adopted by an eccentric inventor. She stumbles upon an unbelievable place and decides to apply her mechanical skills in magical ways. But as time passes, Marie finds she must make a choice between the real world and this magical world of her dreams.

Follow the incredible adventures of an inventor on a journey through a wondrous world and her daughter determined to protect it.
Source: https://www.amazon.es/Nutcracker-Four-R ... our+realms

EDIT: I've found the answer to my question in this other synopsis for the same book from another website:
This dazzling novel will not only retell the moving story from The Nutcracker and the Four Realms, but half of the book will expand and explore the world of the Walt Disney Studios film with brand-new, exclusive content. Complete with beautiful full-page chapter opener illustrations and never-before-seen details that add new depth to the story, this novel will have readers eager to step into the resplendent world of The Nutcracker and the Four Realms for generations to come.
Source: https://www.fnac.com/livre-numerique/a1 ... ORMAT=ePub

By the way, the Funko Pop figures of Clara and the Sugar Plum Fairy have been revealed: https://twitter.com/OriginalFunko/statu ... 8753375232
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I'll be sure to check out the novel then for the added backstory. Love that they named Clara's mother Marie after the original novella.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yeah, they made A Wrinkle in Time dolls so I don't think the Belle doll deterred them but maybe they won't make their own dolls for this film. I wonder about Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, and Snow White then.

I would read the book for the added story if reading wasn't such a chore for me.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

A new TV spot gives us our first look at Clara's mother: https://twitter.com/thenutcracker/statu ... 1070262273

Here are also the character posters in motion: https://www.instagram.com/p/BnoVuJsBM7O ... neystudios

And stills from the Read Along Movie Storybook: https://twitter.com/BADBOYLAND/status/1 ... 0024379392
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

What a cool TV spot! And am loving the storybook photos.

Thanks D82!
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

My suspicions were right! Disney just revealed Philip IS the Nutcracker

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bn_sBfXH5pD ... 780aejgwn7
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

About time Disney confirmed the Nutcracker's identity. Quite timely too considering that I just recently posted about how Disney's interracial relationships always consist of a woman of color with a white man. This is a nice reversal.
ImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I don't understand why they've kept the Nutcracker's identity a secret for so long only to reveal it in a TV spot, but I'm glad it has been confirmed it's Philip.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I still think that they're afraid of race politics. Either that people will complain if the Nutcracker (a white doll) turns into a black man, then progressive groups will feel insulted. Or if the Nutcracker doll is actually dark skinned, then maybe they are afraid that conservative groups will freak out and feel that their culture is being stolen and Christmas is being hijacked.
ImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Yes, that's possible. Maybe they've waited as long as they could to reveal it, to not start the controversy too early.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

disneyprincess11 wrote:My suspicions were right! Disney just revealed Philip IS the Nutcracker
My suspicions, too! Not at first, but my later suspicions.

I am really glad Philip is the Nutcracker! He's a seperate character from Clara, he's a boy, and he's black just like his uncle. The only thing is, they should make the Nutcracker doll black. Transforming from one race to another is problematic.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

JeanGreyForever wrote:Either that people will complain if the Nutcracker (a white doll) turns into a black man, then progressive groups will feel insulted. Or if the Nutcracker doll is actually dark skinned, then maybe they are afraid that conservative groups will freak out.
The Nutcracker doll is going to be white.

It is admittedly weird to have a white, old doll with facial hair turn into a young, hairless, black man. What's the point of that? If they wanted to cast a Black actor in the role, they should have made a nutcracker prop that resembled him or at the very least had the same skin color.

Philip being the Nutcracker is so obvious just by his uniform, Drosselmeyer's race, and the fact he's the only man left that fits the role, it's hard to understand why Disney didn't reveal this from the beginning. It hardly qualifies as a surprise twist. I suppose they were afraid of a potential controversy over the race change but I doubt anyone would have really cared.

I wish they named the Nutcracker something other than Philip. The name Philip will always be associated with Prince Phillip from Sleeping Beauty in Disney lore. It's confusing and unoriginal to have two Disney princes named Philip.

Disney referring to the movie as just "The Nutcracker" in TV spots and other promo material proves they should have just named it that from the beginning. Everyone's going to be calling that, anyway.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage