The Little Mermaid series on Disney Junior

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Re: The Little Mermaid series on Disney Junior

Post by JeanGreyForever »

The whole series used to be on DisneyNow but it definitely has been removed for whatever reason.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Being added to Disney's Streaming service perhaps?
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

This is my assumption as well although I wish they could have left it on a little longer. If I wasn't so jaded from Disney's treatment of home video, I'd say that this was a sign that they're releasing it soon on DVD but we all know that isn't ever happening.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Carole Holliday was a character designer on the series. We rarely get any behind-the-scenes for the shows based on the animated classics, so I thought this was a nice treat.
She became a Character Designer on The Little Mermaid animated series. “When those were over, they were like, well, you can do character design,” she explained about the job creating bumpers coming to an end. Director and Producer Jamie Mitchell originally hired her for a different role on The Little Mermaid animated series. “He just brought me as a revisionist, but the person that they had was too busy so he was like can you do some designs?” The first character she designed for the show was Hans Christien Anderson, but Jamie taught her a new technique when she was tasked with creating a mean manta ray. Her designs were too light, he taught her how to put more passion into her drawings.
Source: https://www.laughingplace.com/w/article ... ter-hours/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

So she designed the Evil Manta also (along with HCA)?
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

That's cool. She was brought on for one thing and ended up doing another. And you can be taught to put more passion into drawings?!!
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Re: Little Mermaid TV Series is on Disney Channel

Post by Farerb »

Interesting... It seems that there's more image to the side in the 16:9 aspect ratio but it is still cropped at the top and bottom:

Regardless it was meant for a 4:3 presentation, I'm not sure why TV series are treated differently than movies.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

This has to be my favorite TV show of all time (not including the Aladdin and New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh shows). The Tangled show was just okay but not enough emphasis on Flynn who is a hearthrob.

I noticed they stole the plotline of the sorceress being stuck in a cave by King Triton from Tales from Under the Sea. That book gave us Ursula's origin and how she was a tyrannical ruler of Atlantica until little boy Triton took the trident and defeated her by banishing her into a cave. It took her years to get out and the people of Atlantica made Triton their king for saving them.

Luckily my headcanon is that the Sorceress was Ursula's mentor so Triton also banished her for corrupting his older sister, the heir of the kingdom. And unlike Ursula, the Sorceress never breaks out but she still wants revenge. Her making Triton into a little boy is also because that was the age she knew him before she was banished and when she tutored Ursula in black magic.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I actually like that headcanon. It's clever.
Disney's Divinity

I think Ursula being a former queen is a better backstory than the whole sister thing. The only aspect I liked about the sister deleted concept was how it reminded me of King Arthur and Morgan le Fay. But I wish the Broadway show (and the remake?) hadn't openly embraced the story, tbh, and left it more vague. Her opening scene sort of implies that she sees herself as separate from Triton and the "fishfolk." She's also the only underwater character we see eating other creatures in the film aside from the shark which is depicted more like a wild animal (there's a lot of horror to do with being consumed in the film, both metaphorically and literally; Ursula's mouth and teeth are the biggest detail of her face after all, making her more threatening versus the way Ariel's eyes are larger to make her more sympathetic).

And then there's Triton hating humans for being "fish-eaters." You never see Ariel or the other mermaids eating anything in the film; and in the series, they only eat seaweed and other things that don't involve killing anything. My personal headcanon is that cecaelia were a species separate from the merfolk who previously ruled over the sea and were more barbaric, ate the other species as they pleased, etc., before being overthrown by Triton with the trident (which I assume he must've drawn from a stone somewhere, lololol) and the merfolk and presumably all the other species who feared them. The TV series after all, does have that one episode, "Heroes," where Ursula is trying to create mock tridents for a group of warrior cecaelia ("octopans")... In that theory of her backstory, the majority of her people would have been eliminated, but she may have merely been exiled because she had been the Queen. The high class sometimes go easy on the previous rulers to set a precedent for themselves in case they themselves are overthrown in the future.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

Disney Duster wrote:I actually like that headcanon. It's clever.
Thank you for the kind words! And thank you for engaging with me in so many posts! I'm pleased to make your acquaintance.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

That's a really good head canon, Divinity! And it makes so much sense! If I had to pick one out of the two, I would pick yours. And I never noticed those Ursula's mouth and Ariel's eyes stuff!

Thedisneyspirit, I will only keep engaging with you if you stop saying terrible things about characters (like saying Anna's a bimbo) or the Disney parks (calling them trash) or going after people (saying Disney Jedi is mean-spirited).
Disney's Divinity

Thank you. :)
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I saw this the other day when I was searching for news on the remake. I don't know if it had already been discussed or not. I've watched the TV series both as a child and recently on Disney+, but I've never noticed this detail. What a retcon, right? :lol:

UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I have also been watching the series on Disney+ in anticipation of the remake, but I haven’t seen this scene or I just glazed over it. How funny!
Disney's Divinity

The TLM TV series was never that good outside of a handful of episodes. It's only real value is giving you more of the voice actors playing the characters from the movie, Carroll, Benson, Wright, and Mars were all incredible.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

UmbrellaFish wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 6:35 pm I have also been watching the series on Disney+ in anticipation of the remake, but I haven’t seen this scene or I just glazed over it. How funny!
I don't remember this particular scene either, but maybe it's because I was paying attention to the conversation and not so much to the rest.
Disney's Divinity wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 6:38 pm The TLM TV series was never that good outside of a handful of episodes. It's only real value is giving you more of the voice actors playing the characters from the movie, Carroll, Benson, Wright, and Mars were all incredible.
I agree the voice actors were great. The TV series is a bit episodic and nowhere near as good as DuckTales or Gummi Bears (and this is not the only retcon it has, by the way), but I found it enjoyable for the most part this time. I know you prefer the Aladdin one, right? I remember not liking it too much as a child (despite loving the film and enjoying the DTV sequels), but maybe I would enjoy it more now. I hope they add it to Disney+ Spain. I'm currently watching The Emperor's New School and it's really funny. It's way better than I remembered, but I think I only watched a few episodes when it first aired in my country.
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

D82 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 6:31 pm I saw this the other day when I was searching for news on the remake. I don't know if it had already been discussed or not. I've watched the TV series both as a child and recently on Disney+, but I've never noticed this detail. What a retcon, right? :lol:

What episode is this from?
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Patricier21 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 8:24 pm What episode is this from?
It's from the episode called "Stormy" (Season 1, Episode 3). It says so in the description of the clip where the screenshot I posted comes from.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I also remember this, which never made sense to me:

Yes, they are underwater, they somehow have both a jacuzzi and a pool, and for some reason they need lifeguards....

Anyway, some of the better episodes (mostly the ones where Ariel sings) are:

1. Whale of a Tale
2. Stormy
3. Urchin
4. Double Bubble
5. Message in a Bottle
6. The Evil Manta
7. Red
8. Eel-Ectric City
9. Heroes
10. Wish Upon a Starfish

I only included one episode with Ursula because that was the only episode where her appearance makes sense (she and Ariel don't interact).

The show isn't that good, and I have issues with how they infantilized Ariel to appeal to younger children, but I prefer the show over the sequels which I find completely unnecessary and that Ariel is completely out of character in them. I also don't like the animation of the third one where the characters are off model and move too fast.