She-Ra and the Princesses of Power

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

She-Ra and the Princesses of Power

Post by Sotiris »

She-Ra is getting a reboot in the form of a Netflix animated TV series produced by DreamWorks Animation.

Teaser poster.

Source: http://ew.com/tv/2018/05/18/she-ra-netf ... to-reveal/

Official online destinations for She-Ra and the Princesses of Power.

Website #01
Website #02
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sotiris

Re: She-Ra (Remake)

Post by Sotiris »

Here's our first official look of the title character.

Source: http://ew.com/tv/2018/07/16/she-ra-see- ... stevenson/

She looks atrocious. :huh: This is an utter failure of a design, even without comparing it to the original. First of, she doesn't even look like a woman; she looks like a teenage boy. It's one thing to make a female character physically strong and athletic, it's another to completely remove any signs of her occupying a female body. For example, Korra from The Legend of Korra was athletic and had muscular arms but you could still tell she was a girl based on her anatomy and facial structure. That's not the case here. Remove the long hair (which doesn't even look like it's attached to her head; it looks more like a yellow mass flowing behind her) and not a single person would get that this character is supposed to be female. You don't need to sexualize a character or present them as overtly feminine to get across they're female but completely ignoring the physical traits of the female form is preposterous and sexist. This would be a poor design even for a male character but the fact it's for a female one makes it a complete and unmitigated disaster of a design.

Another issue I have with the design is the bike shorts she's wearing underneath her dress. If you believe her dress is too revealing just make it longer or if you want her costume to be more practical and efficient then just give her full-length pants or an armor. But giving her both a dress and bike shorts is unappealing, anachronistic, and nonsensical. It defeats the purpose of wearing a dress. Women wear bike shorts underneath their skirts for sociological reasons (skirts being mandatory as part of a uniform, modesty culture, afraid of being leered at or harassed etc.) none of which apply to She-Ra.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I'm not really interested in She-Ra, and sure, your ideas on how she could look better would be ok by me, but I actually rather like the design except for the bike shorts.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

One part of me is saying "Kill it with fire", the other part is super-interested solely because of Noelle Stevenson (Nimona was amazing).

A couple of new images from the show (including first look at Catra, Bow and -- I guess -- Glimmer) can be seen here: http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/dreamworks ... -ra-series

I really dislike the way most modern TV animation looks. It's just too cartoony for my taste.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Re: She-Ra and the Princesses of Power

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Oh my god, she looks awful! She looks like an anime character (no offense to the anime lovers around here) and far from resembling her gorgeous, former self! And it's interesting that DreamWorks is behind this! I used to love She-Ra as a toddler, so this is an insult.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Mooky wrote:I really dislike the way most modern TV animation looks.
Me too. Unappealing, flat designs coupled with limited, stiff animation. It's the worst.

Take a look at this close-up. The linework is so poor it looks like it was drawn in MS Paint. :-|

Source: https://deadline.com/2018/07/she-ra-net ... 202427555/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

DisneyFan09 wrote:Oh my god, she looks awful! She looks like an anime character (no offense to the anime lovers around here) and far from resembling her gorgeous, former self!
I know! Just look at what she's been reduced to.

Before

Source: https://www.cinematerial.com/tv/she-ra- ... p/4vwc93qa

After

Source: http://mikecollinsportfolio.blogspot.co ... power.html
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Well, I, for one, appreciate she looks like a teenager rather than a supermodel. I'm sure, in motion, the new She-Ra will look more fluid than the stiffness commonly seen in Filmmation cartoons. I used to watch He-Man and She-Ra as a kid, but I wouldn't call those shows...good. DreamWorks has a talented team of writers working on their Netflix shows ("Harvey Street Kids" is probably the best children's programming I've watched on the service) and I'm sure Noelle Stevenson has come up with an imaginative and adventurous world that Filmmation didn't have quite the budget to pull off.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

No one's commenting on animation or storytelling; we're specifically talking about character design. And She-Ra in this reboot is supposed to be a young adult, not a teenager. The fact that you assumed she was a teenager proves there's a problem with the design. No one's saying you need to make a female character overtly feminine and model-like but you need to make them look like they're female. This one looks like Tom Holland in a wig.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sotiris wrote:I know! Just look at what she's been reduced to.
It's truly a pity.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I really like the design. I think she looks cute and appealing. Yes, she could look older and more feminine, that would be improving it a little, but I still like it, except for the shorts.
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

I'm with estefan and Disney Duster here. I actually like the new art style/character designs and I think it's refreshing and appealing to look at in comparison to the old version because almost every female character in the old one looks the same in body type/facial structure that it bugs the holy heck out of me. Dreamworks Animation Television has been on a roll since Voltron: Legendary Defender and TrollHunters, two shows I absolutely love, that I am not worried about the quality of the series because of the talent behind it.

Noelle Stevenson FTW! :D
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Sotiris wrote:The fact that you assumed she was a teenager proves there's a problem with the design.
Well, technically a person can be a teenager and a young adult at the age of 18 and 19. :mischief:
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

Here's a poster drawn by Noelle Stevenson herself during FlameCon.

https://twitter.com/Gingerhazing/status ... 4645599233
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

That's an awesome poster. Really excited to watch this show, when it hits Netflix.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

On Twitter: A teaser trailer will be released by Teen Vogue tomorrow. If Voltron's teaser was any indication, it's going to be a glimpse into the show without giving away the characters/story.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The teaser trailer has been released. She-Ra got a magical girl-style transformation.
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

WOW! That looks really good honestly, I hope it's as good as TrollHunters and Voltron. :D
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

The season 1 trailer has been released and I am so excited!! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsGMkAWB6lY
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »