The Nutcracker and the Four Realms

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: The Nutcracker and the Four Realms

Post by Disney Duster »

The trailer was absolutely beautiful and cool!!! I also love the Sugar Plum Fairy's voice. And Clara. I'm even more excited!!!

Sotiris, of course they wouldn't mention Cinderella, it made less money than Maleficent and Beauty and the Beast. Also, they did create real sets for Oz the Great and Powerful, it just didn't look like that sadly.

Disneyprincess11, who is Phillip? Who is Renee?

The poster is absolutely gorgeous.

I agree the Nutcracker should be in this, but maybe it will be a big reveal like Raf said. But also, he could be the black soldier.

D82, I couldn't see the Mouse King.

Clindor, why would they hide the character in the movie just to make a reference to a scene in another movie they aren't even really basing this movie on?

JeamGreyForever, I agree with you about the title.
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

Disney Duster wrote: Clindor, why would they hide the character in the movie just to make a reference to a scene in another movie they aren't even really basing this movie on?
To satisfy the Disney hardcore fans? :-D Just kidding, honestly I should specify that my observation was partly humorous ^^ Maybe this is all a coincidence. It’s just that when I read this thread it reminded me of Deems Taylor informing the audience it is normal not to see any Nutcracker in the sequence ^^

Nevertheless there are gonna to be other references to Fantastia in this movie apparently...

Also, maybe the reason why they are hiding this character for now is because everything about him is a spoiler towards the movie?..
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Disney Duster wrote:D82, I couldn't see the Mouse King.
In this version the Mouse King is made up of lots of regular mice. Instead of the main villain, he seems to be a henchman of Mother Ginger here. He appears in the trailer very briefly here.
Disney Duster wrote:Disneyprincess11, who is Phillip? Who is Renee?
Philip is the black soldier, but I don't know who Renee is, disneyprincess11 will have to answer you that.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

D82 wrote:
Disney Duster wrote:Disneyprincess11, who is Phillip? Who is Renee?
Philip is the black soldier, but I don't know who Renee is, disneyprincess11 will have to answer you that.
I meant MacKenzie. I thought her name was Renee rotfl :facepalm:
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

disneyprincess11 wrote:I meant MacKenzie. I thought her name was Renee rotfl :facepalm:
Oh, OK. Don't worry. :) I'm bad with names too, and she has a name that isn't too common, or is it?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

JeanGreyForever wrote:I don't mind the movie's title that much since the original Nutcracker novella was titled "The Nutcracker and the Mouse King" and I doubt this will get a sequel anyway. Frankly, if anything the film should be titled anything but "The Nutcracker" from everything we've seen so far. They seem to only be using the name for recognition value.
Since this seems more based on Tchaikovsky's adaptation than the novella, I think it would have been more appropriate to just call it "The Nutcracker". Besides, I find the shortened title more iconic and elegant than the novella's title. Regardless if an adaptation is loosely-based or faithful, I usually prefer it when they retain the original title.
Clindor wrote:Nevertheless, there are gonna to be other references to Fantasia in this movie apparently...
I believe the scene with the orchestra was an obvious reference to Fantasia.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Sotiris wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:I don't mind the movie's title that much since the original Nutcracker novella was titled "The Nutcracker and the Mouse King" and I doubt this will get a sequel anyway. Frankly, if anything the film should be titled anything but "The Nutcracker" from everything we've seen so far. They seem to only be using the name for recognition value.
Since this seems more based on Tchaikovsky's adaptation than the novella, I think it would have been more appropriate to just call it "The Nutcracker". Besides, I find the shortened title more iconic and elegant than the novella's title. Regardless if an adaptation is loosely-based or faithful, I usually prefer it when they retain the original title.
Honestly at this point I see little resemblance between this movie and the original ballet which is probably why the title doesn't bother me too much. "The Nutcracker and the Four Realms" distinguishes itself from the original ballet with the expanded title. If this had been a more faithful adaptation of either the ballet or the novella, I'd be fine with either title. Snow White was also expanded to "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" so a longer name doesn't really irritate me. I'd prefer that over something like Rapunzel becoming "Tangled" or Jack and the Beanstalk becoming "Gigantic."
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

JeanGreyForever wrote:Snow White was also expanded to "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" so a longer name doesn't really irritate me.
I'd actually prefer it if it was just called "Snow White" and hope the live-action remake doesn't use the full title.
JeanGreyForever wrote:I'd prefer that over something like Rapunzel becoming "Tangled" or Jack and the Beanstalk becoming "Gigantic."
Of course. That's much, much worse.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

New stills in this article: http://collider.com/new-nutcracker-trai ... ter-images

And a special look will air tomorrow on Disney Channel: https://twitter.com/DisneyStudios/statu ... 8113257472
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Sotiris wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:Snow White was also expanded to "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" so a longer name doesn't really irritate me.
I'd actually prefer it if it was just called "Snow White" and hope the live-action remake doesn't use the full title.
JeanGreyForever wrote:I'd prefer that over something like Rapunzel becoming "Tangled" or Jack and the Beanstalk becoming "Gigantic."
Of course. That's much, much worse.
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is a mouthful and most people just refer to it as Snow White. I'm curious now as to what the live-action remake will be called.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thanks Clindor, D82, and disneyprincess11! The Mouse King idea they are using is not my preferred, but still cool!
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Another new still: https://ew.com/movies/fall-movie-previe ... our-realms

Has anybody watched the Disney Channel special look? Was it new?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thanks for that still! It looks like the Sugar Plum Fairy is making Clara look like a princess.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Concept art of the four realms and info about the production design of the movie: https://ew.com/movies/2018/08/17/nutcra ... es-images/
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Thanks for posting. Although my expectations have drastically lowered for this film, I have a bit more hope now after reading about the making of the sets. Just the construction of the four realms sounds magical. A country divided into four sections with a kingdom that presides in the middle reminds me a lot of how Oz functions which is quite appropriate since the original Nutcracker novella was very much like a precursor to the Oz books.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Wow, that is so awesome, thank you for posting that! It's amazing that Dyas created whole worlds from the ground up and even used real flowers and candy! And that he made everything logical is so great. And now we know Mother Ginger's realm was once the Land of Amusements. I am more interested in this film than ever, myself!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

That concept art is gorgeous and I love the mythology behind the four realms. This has definitely piqued my interest in the movie.
Raf
Limited Issue

Post by Raf »

That concept arts makes me really sad it isn't animated movie. With it being live-action, as of right now it seems even Disney doesn't believe in success of this movie.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Director Lasse Hallström has posted a couple of photos from the set:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BmcB6I8l35S ... ehallstrom
https://www.instagram.com/p/BmZrNOJlbZM ... ehallstrom

Raf wrote:That concept arts makes me really sad it isn't animated movie. With it being live-action, as of right now it seems even Disney doesn't believe in success of this movie.
I think I've already said it, but I also wish Disney had made an animated movie of this story instead of a live-action one. Anyway, I also liked that new info about the realms and I'm still excited for this film.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I suppose Disney felt more confident in this film as live-action since it follows the Narnia/Wonderland/Oz formula they've been using.
ImageImage