Frozen II

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Frozen 2

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Evan Rachel Wood, Sterling K. Brown in Talks to Join 'Frozen 2'
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... -2-1127088

I know she sings...
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

^You beat me to it!

I would love for them to join! I know Wood was considered for Eponine in the Les Mis movie.

EDIT: Apparently, Wood might be Iduna (even though Jennifer Lee was her) and Brown might be the villain

https://twitter.com/Skylerhxc/status/10 ... 8044160000
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

Wood could play both sweet, innocent and scheming dominant personality...she basically does both in WestWorld. So she could be the villain as well.

Brown...maybe one of the Hidden Folk as well...
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Well if this true, I would like it, but I hope Disney prepares for the “storm” of angry parents
So @DanielRPK and I are hearing a rumor regarding a certain character in a certain movie could be coming true. ❄️
https://twitter.com/skylerhxc/status/10 ... 81312?s=21
Raf
Limited Issue

Post by Raf »

disneyprincess11 wrote:Well if this true, I would like it, but I hope Disney prepares for the “storm” of angry parents
So @DanielRPK and I are hearing a rumor regarding a certain character in a certain movie could be coming true. ❄️
I don't believe it, but please, please Disney, prove me wrong.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I don't believe Disney really has the guts for it, especially if they think it might jeopardize Frozen's massive profits in some way. I would love if it was true though, but it would be like any other romance for Disney and depend on how the love interest turns out.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

Raf wrote:
disneyprincess11 wrote:Well if this true, I would like it, but I hope Disney prepares for the “storm” of angry parents
I don't believe it, but please, please Disney, prove me wrong.
For some reason, reading that tweet, I picture the "certain character" being Olaf. Maybe something to follow suit in Josh Gad's revolutionary and (in some counties, apparently) controversial performance in the live action Beauty and the Beast. :P
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I would be quite impressed if Disney went this route. The fact that Elsa is such a universally beloved character might make her the safest choice, because her extreme popularity can counterbalance any backlash. The same way that a beloved property like BATB was ultimately not affected from the "gay scene," if it can even be called that.

That's an interesting theory about Olaf though. Josh Gad would play the role perfectly if that was the case, so I wouldn't mind, but Elsa would be the more groundbreaking character and it's not like we get any hints on her sexuality in any of the prior Frozen stuff so it wouldn't be completely out of the blue. Although Helsa shippers certainly won't be pleased.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Idina Menzel talks about Frozen 2 in a new interview:
Will Frozen 2 include another anthem for queer audiences?

I hope so. We’re still in the early stages, but our songwriters, Bobby [Lopez] and Kristen [Anderson-Lopez], have an uncanny way of writing songs that speak to everyone. I think the message is really about owning and not hiding who you are, so I definitely wouldn’t rule out another LGBTQ anthem.

Many fans are pushing Disney to out Elsa as a lesbian with the #GiveElsaAGirlfriend campaign. Conservatives, meanwhile, are petitioning against it. What’s it like to play a character people are fighting over?

Well, it’s difficult because I’m not the writer, you know? I’m just so freakin’ grateful to have this amazing gig. I don’t know Elsa’s destiny and, to be honest, I don’t think Elsa knows her destiny yet either. She’s still trying to figure out who she is, where she comes from, why she’s the way that she is, so I think that’s more of the journey that will be explored.
Source: http://visualn.net/2018/08/19/idina-men ... -frozen-2/
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I agree; why should Elsa be tied to anyone, man or woman ? I think she needs massive therapy ( not that that would happen in a Disney movie :lol: ), and be able to just be for a bit, and fully accept herself.

If she does end up being gay, which in itself would be awesome make no mistake, it does again push home the message that if you are alone, you aren't really complete. You need someone else to do that for you. I think they could make a stand and have her be strong, vital, and a Queen, ruling extremely successfully over her Kingdom, overcoming years and years of emotional abuse for her powers. Now that would be truly kick ass.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yes, the first princess to "die alone". In all honesty, that's what happens to some real people, and they are happy, so I would not mind that. I actually prefer that to her being a lesbian just because she didn't feel like a lesbian to me, lol.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

I feel Merida or Moana to fit more into the "single ruler" archetype more than Elsa is, imo. They just feel more independent, stable and satisfied with themselves, but I can see Elsa going either way. I still feel they're gonna keep it ambiguous, tho, unless Disney feels really bold and challenging.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

'Hidden Figures' Writer Allison Schroeder Joins 'Frozen 2' (Exclusive)
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... -2-1137124
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

No way. I'll believe it when I see it.
I revealed on last Friday’s 69th Edition of The Fanboy Podcast that I’d heard from a couple of very reliable sources that the team behind Frozen 2 are going to pull the trigger by establishing that Elsa is gay in the sequel to the 2013 smash hit, which is currently turning heads on Broadway with a successful stage adaptation. This came after Skyler Schuler of The DisInsider dropped some choice hints.

The exact details remain scarce, and could even evolve a bit now that they’ve added new writer Allison Schroeder to the mix, but there’s talk that they’ll introduce a love interest for Elsa. While I can’t say with certainty who’s playing her, I find it more than a little coincidental that Westworld‘s Evan Rachel Wood has joined the cast.

Also of note about the current script is that it seems to flashback quite a bit. The current cast of characters in the script includes younger versions of sisters Elsa and Anna, but also- and most notably- their mother, the Queen of Arendelle, who died alongside the King early on in the first movie! That role is another possibility for Evan Rachel Wood, since she’s listed as being between 30 and 40 years of age, and Wood is currently 30.
Source: https://revengeofthefans.com/2018/08/28 ... sa-is-gay/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

I think that if it does happen, it will be another Beauty and the Beast-type of scenario, where it's only insinuated and not fully acknowledged. Generally, this whole thing smells of a marketing BS to hype up the movie and generate interest/controversy. But hey, it worked for BatB -- I have no doubt in my mind that the "exclusively gay moment" was partially responsible for that movie's huge revenues.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Mooky wrote:But hey, it worked for BatB -- I have no doubt in my mind that the "exclusively gay moment" was partially responsible for that movie's huge revenues.
...... For one, that's... the first I've heard that explanation.... For another, I don't think the LGBT community and their allies are a large enough group to push a movie over a billion, and that's not accounting for the people who--conversely--decided not to watch because of that. Tbh, the most I heard about the LeFou thing prior to seeing the movie was when I read it was banned in Russia.
Sotiris wrote:No way. I'll believe it when I see it.
Pretty much my reaction. But I want to be very clear that I'm open to it, definitely. I just don't think Disney (the company) has the spine.

I haven't seen Westworld, so the only thing I know Evan Rachel Wood from is the Mildred Pierce remake. It's possible she is playing the mother, but who knows. Idina is around 40, isn't she? And she plays Elsa, who's around 18-20.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Well I would certainly be happy if Elsa did turn out gay, and had a love interest. But I would think that would hurt the movie more than help it. Which is why I don't think the gaiety in Beauty and the Beast is what influenced the box office.

Elsa is 19, isn't she?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Elsa is 21. Anna is 18. Kristoff is 21. Hans is 23.

Yeah, I don't think BATB's box office was greatly boosted from the gay reveal. If anything, it might have lost viewers since I know Russia wanted to ban it. Not to mention, a lot of the LGBT community would already be interested in watching BATB even before LeFou's sexuality made headlines.

I do think Frozen is a box office juggernaut so this would be the safest property to headline with a gay character. Elsa's such an icon that even with all the blowback, I'm not sure how successful people will be in banning her character just because she likes women. Maybe I'm overestimating though the strength of the property.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Guys, I said "partially" not "solely". No, I don't think LGBT groups as a whole are able to influence box office results. I'm pretty certain even people who are not LGBT allies or are anti-LGBT showed up to see the movie, that scene included, some for the sole reason for being able to complain about it later on. Controversy does generate buzz, buzz creates interest, either positive or negative. It's not without a precedent -- Fahrenheit 9/11 became a top-grossing documentary ever, a genre that rarely ever made more than $20-30 million before. People picketed it, people boycotted it, but people saw it and some of them were Republicans who the movie lambasted. Same with The Passion of the Christ where not all people who saw it were Christians. Of course, the controversies these movies caused are nowhere near BatB's but if they can affect independent films to that effect, imagine what additional effects they may have on a major studio film that's already hyped up and has a built-in fanbase. Actually, you don't even need to imagine -- it happened with The Dark Knight and Fast and the Furious 7, in these cases due to the death of a lead actor.
Last edited by Mooky on Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
DisneyBluLife
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DisneyBluLife »

I don't get it why it they would get controversy over gay characters now. I mean, nobody complained when Disney did it with Hugo and Djali in The Hunchback of Notre Dame in 1996 and its sequel in 2002. :?