Which Disney Characters Do You HATE and Which Do You LOVE?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney-Fan
Platinum Edition
Location: Where it's flat and immense and the heat is intense

Post by Disney-Fan »

I love many of the characters and being that TLM is my favorite movie Ariel would be an obvious choice to point out, but I'd like to comment on Lilo. Ironically, her off-the-wall quirkiness and weird character traits make for Disney's most human character to see the light of day in a good long while. Her character is full of subtlties and relatable moments (re: her praying for a friend that won't run away before Stitch arrives). She's really well rounded and makes for an interesting, unique character.
"See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve." - The Joker
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Re: Which Disney Characters Do You HATE and Which Do You LOV

Post by thedisneyspirit »

Hate:

-Most of the Peter Pan characters. They're either annoying, bland or pathetic.
-The Brother Bear characters.
-Pain and Panic. So noisy. I wanted Hades to fry them up and finish them already.
-Kerchack. Don't dislike, but he's just a jerk throughout all the film. Clayton is also blah.
-Timon. He's a social climber and an opportunist.

Love:

-Panchito and Jose. I know they're considered ethnic stereotypes by some people, but I do enjoy their zany energy.
-Yen Sid, Chernabog. Not much character there, but their mystery is attractive.
-Cheshire Cat. He's funny, and I like his voice actor.
-Characters from Sleeping Beauty. Not much is there but they're still likable.
-Bagheera. I kinda like the worrywarts, and I do feel he does care for Mowgli, even if the film wants to frame him as the dull "parent" in contrast to Baloo.
-Thomas O'Malley. Baloo as a cat, but I like the genuine concern he has over Duchess and the kittens.
-Robin Hood cast.
-Winnie the Pooh cast.
-Bianca and Bernard.
-Ratigan and Basil.
-Ariel, Triton and Ursula. And Sebastian
-Beast and Belle, Cogsworth and Lumiere.
-The Aladdin cast. They're just enjoyable to me. Jasmine is merely okay, but the rest are pretty fun.
-Jack and Sally
-Meeko.
-Quasimodo and Frollo. Two sides of the same coin, really. Esmeralda and Phoebus also aren't too unlikable, but they're nowhere as engaging as the previous two. I also happen to find the gargoyles nice.
-Hercules and Megara. Very well developed characters on their own with believable chemistry. Hades is also fun.
-Mulan and Mushu. the three friends are also nice.
-Spring Sprite
-Stitch, Lilo and Nani.
-John Silver. Amelia is also endearing.

And of the Pixar characters...Merida, Elinor, Woody, Slinky, Frozone, Helen, Hector and Gill, probably.
Last edited by thedisneyspirit on Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Well, to cite my opinion about someone I hate, it must be Tinker Bell. At least before her newly renewed status as a Pixie Hollower (though it's supposed to be a prequel, at least I guess it must be considered to be non-canon :P). Mainly because she deliberately wants to harm Wendy and never seems to regret it. It's baffling how the movie really excludes this issue and her an arc isn't as overt as it should've been. It's honestly baffling that she has gained such a status as and being representative of the company,regardless of her deliberate callous and hostile nature, as shown on both Peter Pan movies. At least Return to Neverland makes sure that Tink does get a brief closure with both Wendy and her daughter, Jane (though Jane is given the biggest arc, anyways), but it doesn't make up for what Tink did.

Otherwise, I used to hate adult Kiara with a passion. Mainly because she's much more of a brat than Ariel and Jasmine ever was. Kiara is foolish and reckless, places an enormous fate in Kovu (despite having met him only once as a cub and regardless of him saving her) and is completely blinded by the fact that he belongs to the pride that is dangerous. Though she eventually goes through an arc, her arc is still incongruous and sparse (but blame the weak writing of the movie).

Otherwise, my love goes for characters as Baloo, Thumper, Pinocchio, Bambi, Quasimodo, Belle, Meeko and Bashful. Due to their endearing natures.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Love: Ursula, Tiana, Megara, Lady Tremaine, Yzma, Cogsworth, Merlin & Archimedes, Basil, Figaro, Jim Hawkins, Hades, Aladdin, Mrs. Packard, Donald Duck, Scrooge McDuck, Cruella de Vil, Bagheera, Merryweather, Rabbit, Lady Kluck, Duchess, Hercules, Ariel, The Cheshire Cat, Alice, Mr. Smee, Bowler Hat Guy (Goob), Cinderella, Lucifer, Charlotte La Bouff, Ray, Anna, Elsa, Monstro, Pongo, Nanny, Dodger, Flower, Owl (from Bambi), Nani, Kronk

I like nearly all of the Mulan/B&tB/Hercules/TLM/Dumbo characters although LOVE might be too strong a word.

Hate: Geese from The Aristocats, Meeko, Timon, Hiro, Koda, the Roseanne cow (the Jennifer Tilly and Judi Dench cows are okay though :lol: ), Daisy Duck, Flora, Tweedledee and Tweedledum, Tigger, Kerchak, Vicky, Peter Pan, The Caterpillar, The Mermaids from Peter Pan, Mowgli, Tinker Bell, Gus Gus, King Hubert, Kenai, Doc, Lefou

Some characters I used to dislike have grown on me (Amelia, BEN, Doppler, Bianca, Lilo, Jasmine, Flynn, Esmeralda). Faline, Aurora, and Perdita are just blank slates, which annoys me, but there's not enough there to hate.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

DisneyFan09 wrote:Well, to cite my opinion about someone I hate, it must be Tinker Bell. At least before her newly renewed status as a Pixie Hollower (though it's supposed to be a prequel, at least I guess it must be considered to be non-canon :P). Mainly because she deliberately wants to harm Wendy and never seems to regret it. It's baffling how the movie really excludes this issue and her an arc isn't as overt as it should've been. It's honestly baffling that she has gained such a status as and being representative of the company,regardless of her deliberate callous and hostile nature, as shown on both Peter Pan movies. At least Return to Neverland makes sure that Tink does get a brief closure with both Wendy and her daughter, Jane (though Jane is given the biggest arc, anyways), but it doesn't make up for what Tink did.

Otherwise, I used to hate adult Kiara with a passion. Mainly because she's much more of a brat than Ariel and Jasmine ever was. Kiara is foolish and reckless, places an enormous fate in Kovu (despite having met him only once as a cub and regardless of him saving her) and is completely blinded by the fact that he belongs to the pride that is dangerous. Though she eventually goes through an arc, her arc is still incongruous and sparse (but blame the weak writing of the movie).
I've always hated Tinker Bell too, especially as a huge Wendy fan. However, the original Tinker Bell was also like this in the play and book and although I despise her as a character, I prefer this rendition of her over the sugar-coated Tink in the Disney Fairies films. At least the original Tink has a personality, albeit a malevolent one. It does amaze me though that she's basically Disney's token character. I think few people associate her as the malicious and nasty fairy from the original film (or I should say pixie, which is another thing I hate about the 1953 Peter Pan adaptation).

I actually just rewatched The Lion King II, and I was amazed at how Kiara constantly takes Kovu's side over everyone else's, despite having only met him once as a child. I'm one of the last people to have issues with Disney's "underdeveloped" love stories, but this one baffled even me. I used to think that this was one of the few Disney sequels that had aged well, and while that's still true in comparison to the rest of Disney's direct-to-video sequels, I would hardly call this film theatrical worthy so I've heard that at one point there was a plan to release this in theaters, or at least select theaters.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:I've always hated Tinker Bell too, especially as a huge Wendy fan. However, the original Tinker Bell was also like this in the play and book and although I despise her as a character, I prefer this rendition of her over the sugar-coated Tink in the Disney Fairies films. At least the original Tink has a personality, albeit a malevolent one. It does amaze me though that she's basically Disney's token character. I think few people associate her as the malicious and nasty fairy from the original film (or I should say pixie, which is another thing I hate about the 1953 Peter Pan adaptation).
My hatred towards Tinker Bell began in my adult years, so it's not something that has always been :P

Now that you mention the Fairies franchise, I've always found her to be bland and generic there, despite that she does maintain certain traits of her usual self through her temper tantrums. Yet I still the prefer her Pixie Hollow version, because she does show her kind sides she possesses. But her status and use as the token Disney Fairy is baffling. Since Disney characters are usually so easily (and shallowly) perceived to be archetypes to represent just good or evil (and despite that good Disney characters are worshiped), it is certainly baffling that Tinker Bell has gotten the status that she got.
I actually just rewatched The Lion King II, and I was amazed at how Kiara constantly takes Kovu's side over everyone else's, despite having only met him once as a child. I'm one of the last people to have issues with Disney's "underdeveloped" love stories, but this one baffled even me. I used to think that this was one of the few Disney sequels that had aged well, and while that's still true in comparison to the rest of Disney's direct-to-video sequels, I would hardly call this film theatrical worthy so I've heard that at one point there was a plan to release this in theaters, or at least select theaters.
Well, Simba's Pride (regardless of the other strengths the movie possesses) has always suffered from weak writing, which is something that I noticed when I saw this film at my verge of adolescence (when I started to become more critical of plot holes or weak scripts). Though perhaps the absence between Kiara and Kovu's time as cubs isn't as much of a problem as it could've been, it is certainly baffling to watch Kiara's naivete towards Kovu. Though the amount of faith she places in him is something that I've ranted about in my adult years, it is baffling that Kiara is simply ignorant about the genuine treat Kovu possesses and that she still denies this even when Simba is injured (to be fair, the problem isn't that Kovu is innocent, but he belongs to a pride that is a treat to the Pridelanders and that should've alarmed her).
And despite this, Kovu, regardless of his darkness, is given an arc that is boringly straightforward. Kovu should've been given more depth and while he has some of it, his arc is strictly straightforward, which makes his arc quite boring to watch. Zira, despite her villainy, is clearly more dimensional, but even her development is not as it could've been.

I understand the love for Simba's Pride, because I can easily see it (since I have a fondness for it myself). It is a cute and endearing movie, so it's understandable why some considers it to be the best Disney Cheapquel, yet it's still deeply flawed, at least screenplay-wise. There have been other cheapquels who had better screenplays, regardless of their stigma.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

The reason Tinker Bell is as popular as she is is partly from Walt Disney choosing her as the Disney tv and park mascot because Walt was worried if his television material wasn't successful, at least he didn't risk Mickey as the mascot. And then there's Tink's being a very active character. She's always going after what she wants. And this probably isn't why she's so popular, but she risks her life to save Peter's. So I get it. Tinker Bell does actually happen to be a favorite character of mine, but it's just because she's a fairy.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney Duster wrote:The reason Tinker Bell is as popular as she is is partly from Walt Disney choosing her as the Disney tv and park mascot because Walt was worried if his television material wasn't successful, at least he didn't risk Mickey as the mascot. And then there's Tink's being a very active character. She's always going after what she wants. And this probably isn't why she's so popular, but she risks her life to save Peter's. So I get it. Tinker Bell does actually happen to be a favorite character of mine, but it's just because she's a fairy.
DisneyFan09 wrote: Now that you mention the Fairies franchise, I've always found her to be bland and generic there, despite that she does maintain certain traits of her usual self through her temper tantrums. Yet I still the prefer her Pixie Hollow version, because she does show her kind sides she possesses. But her status and use as the token Disney Fairy is baffling. Since Disney characters are usually so easily (and shallowly) perceived to be archetypes to represent just good or evil (and despite that good Disney characters are worshiped), it is certainly baffling that Tinker Bell has gotten the status that she got.
As iconic as Tinker Bell is, I wonder what it would have been like if Disney had pushed another fairy as their mascot character. The Blue Fairy is connected to Disney's anthem song, plus like Tink, she's one of the beautiful fairies so she would be able to sell merchandise. The Fairy Godmother is connected to Cinderella, one of the most iconic Disney stories, and she generally represents the archetypal fairy. As for the Three Good Fairies, they're the most fleshed out and get the most screentime, so they could have worked as well, especially to represent an opposing force to Maleficent, arguably the most popular villain. I can see any one of the above being pushed as Disney's mascot, but I wonder if they would ever reach the same status that Tink has.
DisneyFan09 wrote: Well, Simba's Pride (regardless of the other strengths the movie possesses) has always suffered from weak writing, which is something that I noticed when I saw this film at my verge of adolescence (when I started to become more critical of plot holes or weak scripts). Though perhaps the absence between Kiara and Kovu's time as cubs isn't as much of a problem as it could've been, it is certainly baffling to watch Kiara's naivete towards Kovu. Though the amount of faith she places in him is something that I've ranted about in my adult years, it is baffling that Kiara is simply ignorant about the genuine treat Kovu possesses and that she still denies this even when Simba is injured (to be fair, the problem isn't that Kovu is innocent, but he belongs to a pride that is a treat to the Pridelanders and that should've alarmed her).
And despite this, Kovu, regardless of his darkness, is given an arc that is boringly straightforward. Kovu should've been given more depth and while he has some of it, his arc is strictly straightforward, which makes his arc quite boring to watch. Zira, despite her villainy, is clearly more dimensional, but even her development is not as it could've been.

I understand the love for Simba's Pride, because I can easily see it (since I have a fondness for it myself). It is a cute and endearing movie, so it's understandable why some considers it to be the best Disney Cheapquel, yet it's still deeply flawed, at least screenplay-wise. There have been other cheapquels who had better screenplays, regardless of their stigma.
I'm not sure how familiar Kiara is with Zira and the threat she poses. It seems like she isn't aware of her at all until her first encounter with Zira's pride early on in the film and even after that, Kiara certainly seems sheltered, as evident from Simba's treatment of her with Timon and Pumbaa constantly babysitting her. So I can understand why she wouldn't consider Kovu to be a threat, especially when her only memory of him would be viewing him as a friend. However, the fact that their relationship can't stretch beyond one chance childhood meeting is why I find the strength of their bond to be unrealistic, especially since she seems pretty attached to him as soon as she meets him again as an adult. As you pointed out, it's hard to buy that Kiara would see her father injured but still refuse to doubt Kovu's part in the whole situation and automatically take his side, but I suppose that's love.
ImageImage
ProfessorRatigan
Special Edition

Post by ProfessorRatigan »

Love:
Dumbo, Timothy Mouse, Maleficent, The Three Good Fairies, Cruella De Vil, Mad Madame Mim, Shere Khan, Robin Hood, Sir Hiss, Bernard, Miss Bianca, Madame Medusa, Basil, Professor Ratigan, Ursula, Flotsam & Jetsam, The Beast, Lumiere, Gaston, Aladdin, Genie, Jafar, Scar, Quasimodo, Esmeralda, Judge Claude Frollo, Clopin, Djali, Hercules, Megara, Hades, Phil, Pegasus, Kronk, Lilo, Dr. Facilier, Moana

Hate:
Jiminy Cricket
Tinkerbell
Sir Kay
Timon & Pumbaa
Meeko, Flit and Percy
Hans (for being such a poorly developed character)
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I think Tinker Bell was also chosen because of her small size, to be honest, and her voice-lessness. They just lend themselves to a good icon.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Yeah, you're right that the combination of small stature and being voiceless renders Tinker Bell a perfect mascot. The Three Good Fairies may have the height, but they are anything but voiceless and for some reason, mute Disney characters tend to be hugely iconic between Pluto, Dopey, Dumbo, and WALL-E to an extent as well. Even Meeko has a huge fan following in Japan.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yeah. And I didn't know that about Meeko.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I remember looking at Japan's Disney Store online once because they have amazing merchandise. The Pocahontas section was literally all Meeko merchandise except for the Pocahontas movie and one ornament that's the same one sold here in the U.S. featuring her.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Is there a way I can find that site?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Yeah, it's just Disney Store Japan in Google but here's a link.
https://store.disney.co.jp/en/

I really love the focus on the classic characters and films. I much prefer Japan's Disney Princess lineup for example.
ImageImage