Ralph Breaks the Internet

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Re: Ralph Breaks the Internet

Post by DisneyEra »

I just realized I may have given WDAS another "crossover" idea :biting: :facepalm:
Last edited by DisneyEra on Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

disneyprincess11 wrote:The mystery chick has been revealed.
I like Shank's design (her name not so much); she sort of resembles Gal Gadot. The character could be interesting if she plays an important role in movie and isn't just one of the many people Ralph and Vanellope meet along the way.
unprincess wrote:well no wonder poor Calhoun has taken a back seat in this! a new tough chick for Vanelope to bond with! (Sigh) really couldn't that role have just gone to Calhoun?
No, because Calhoun is now a housewife. Her role is being a loving wife and mother. :P Seriously, hers and Felix's subplot is about adopting the Sugar Rush kids and becoming parents.
DisneyEra wrote:I just realized I may have given WDAS another "crossover" idea.
Let the shipping begin! :lol: I think it'd be fun having the two in video game together.
“Shank is amazing at driving cars and has this bad-girl vibe to her. But as the movie goes on you realize how fun, wise and warm she really is on the inside, which is what I like most about her,” the actress added in a statement.
Source: https://ew.com/movies/2018/08/10/gal-ga ... rnet-cast/

So, just like Calhoun in the first one. How original. :roll:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

An extended trailer is here with Shank!!!

https://twitter.com/wreckitralph/status ... 6900702208

Well, you guys win. You are happy to know that there's something I now hate in the Princess scene: Why is Aurora sleeping a joke?! Come on! :( :x
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Well, at least we got finally to see Merida's much debated contribution to this scene. But honestly, she wasn't that hard to understand.
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

You can also find it on YouTube now: https://youtu.be/d6PkKUN12cI
Last edited by Clindor on Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

DisneyFan09 wrote:Well, at least we got finally to see Merida's much debated contribution to this scene. But honestly, she wasn't that hard to understand.
Yes! And this scene (with this specific joke) was showed one year ago at the D23 Convention.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

disneyprincess11 wrote:Why is Aurora sleeping a joke?! Come on!
I thought you already knew that. Wasn't it part of the scene they showed at the D23 Expo? I agree about the Sleeping Beauty joke. From Shrek to Robot Chicken to SNL, the gag of Aurora always sleeping or being sleepy has been done to death.

So it's Shank who's going to come between Ralph and Vanellope and not Yesss as we originally thought. Interesting.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Sotiris wrote:
disneyprincess11 wrote:Why is Aurora sleeping a joke?! Come on!
I thought you already knew that. Wasn't it part of the scene they showed at the D23 Expo? I agree about the Sleeping Beauty joke. From Shrek 2 to Robot Chicken to SNL, the gag of Aurora always sleeping or being sleepy has been done to death.

So it's Shank is going to come between Ralph and Vanellope and not Yeses as we originally thought.
I knew Aurora was sleeping at the beginning. I 100% swear I actually missed the gag with Merida. The first time, I was in shock and confused over the scene, so of course I didn't catch Aurora sleeping. The second time, I was trying to understand Merida, so I didn't focus on the other girls. And right? This was a great time to at least develop her a tiny bit (she has a sense of humor and sarcasm at least). I hope if or when they do other projects, they develop her more.

I'm wonder now who will be the side character: Shank or Yess. Either way, one of them is the bad guy. And I already love her and the racing scene.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

disneyprincess11 wrote:I'm wonder now who will be the side character: Shank or Yess. Either way, one of them is the bad guy.
I prefer Yesss being the villain over Shank. Yesss is much more powerful and influential so she poses greater threat to our heroes. She's also more theatrical and glamorous so she'd be much more fun and interesting as a villain.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Sotiris wrote:I prefer Yesss being the villain over Shank. Yesss is much more powerful and influential so she poses greater threat to our heroes. She's also more theatrical and glamorous so she'd be much more fun and interesting as a villain.
I agree! If done right, she could easily be the best recent Disney Animation villain. I mean, with the concept art, there is great great potential and there's already a reason why she is evil: To enslave Ralph and Vanellope for her site
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

:shrug:
Attachments
tumblr_pd97E1x9w00lo1_1280.jpg
tumblr_pd97E1x9w00lo1_1280.jpg (200.07 KiB) Viewed 4028 times
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

^It's ridiculous how much Disney copied fanart, memes, and pop culture for the Disney Princess scene. They should have changed the title to "Fan Service: The Movie".
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I like Shank's design and I think Gal Gadot is a good casting choice. Is she supposed to be Jewish like her voice actress? I also like that part of the movie will take place in a video game. The art direction of that online game looks great too. As for Merida's joke, I don't find it funny.
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Sotiris wrote:^It's ridiculous how much Disney copied fanart, memes, and pop culture for the Disney Princess scene. They should have changed the title to "Fan Service: The Movie".
So true. I feel sorry for Ralph though. So far everything has been about Vanellope/The Princesses/Yess & now Gal Godot character. His sequel is basically just using him just for their own promotion. It's like having your Birthday party, but no one really came for you. And some people find this stuff funny, but this just makes me cringe :x
Last edited by DisneyEra on Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:Is she supposed to be Jewish like her voice actress?
I don't know; she comes off more Latina to me than anything else.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:I don't know; she comes off more Latina to me than anything else.
Maybe. I'd say she has some Middle Eastern features, but I'm not sure either.
Sotiris wrote:So it's Shank who's going to come between Ralph and Vanellope and not Yesss as we originally thought. Interesting.
It seems so. After reading Gal Gadot's description of her character, I don't think she will be the villain. Maybe there will be some antagonistic characters like probably Yesss, but not a real villain like the directors said.

UPDATE

More details about Shank. I think we can now rule out she's the villain:
Ralph and Vanellope encounter Shank and her unusual cohorts when they venture to the internet in search of a replacement part for Vanellope’s game, Sugar Rush. Shank, a tough-as-nails street racer, takes her role and her tricked-out car very seriously and doesn’t like to lose. When Vanellope finds herself in a street race with Shank, her Sugar Rush driving skills are put to the test—and Shank is impressed. “She is the coolest character in this world of Slaughter Race,” said director Rich Moore. “Shank’s lived a lot, she’s seen a lot, yet she’s got nothing but kindness in her heart—that’s the duality of that character.”

Gadot said about her character, “Shank is amazing at driving cars and has this bad-girl vibe to her. But as the movie goes on you realize how fun, wise and warm she really is on the inside, which is what I like most about her.”

Director/Writer Phil Johnston added: “There’s so much texture to her voice and so much living in her voice,” he said. “If Ralph is Vanellope’s big-brother figure, we wanted a big-sister figure. We wanted someone that Vanellope would look up to, and Gal is definitely someone kids—and a lot of adults I know—aspire to emulate. I can’t imagine anyone else embodying that part.”
Source: http://collider.com/wreck-it-ralph-2-gal-gadot-image/
Last edited by D82 on Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

D82 wrote:I like Shank's design and I think Gal Gadot is a good casting choice. Is she supposed to be Jewish like her voice actress? I also like that part of the movie will take place in a video game. The art direction of that online game looks great too. As for Merida's joke, I don't find it funny.
Yeah. I'm sorry. That joke just doesn't make sense to me. Especially when you consider that there are other Scottish characters in Disney's animation studio films like Scrooge McDuck, Jock and Ben from Pocahontas. You could have either one of those characters saying the same thing as Merida and the joke would make about as much sense. It almost seems to me that nowadays all one has to do is say something in a snarky way with hardly any meaning and VOILA! Instant laughs!
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Sotiris wrote:But that doesn't make any sense. :embarrassed: Why would fictional characters have online avatars or an Internet version of themselves?
It makes more sense than the "real" characters somehow getting transferred to the online world. I imagine they're theoretically sparked to life by Oh My Disney through the creation of the web pages, in the same way that all the video game characters are sparked to life by the game consoles through the creation of their coding. This is obviously an extension of a long-lived story ... well, I hate to say "trope," but yeah. Different forms media coming to life, whether it be toys or characters on the pages of books. It's not at all far-fetched to expect online characters and images to be given lives of their own as well.

*suddenly pictures the UD avatars hanging out and taking on caricatured personas of their users when no one is online* :lol: :P

Not to be redundant, but I digress ...
Elladorine wrote:Not that it really matters to over-analyze, as it seems everyone has already decided that this sequence is either fun and hilarious, or the death of Disney as we know it.
I just don't understand why people who obviously aren't keen on the whole idea keep on aggressively nit-picking every little detail of the movie that gets released. :shrug:
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Sotiris wrote:
Elladorine wrote:These aren't intended to be the "real" characters from the films, they're the "internet" versions.
But that doesn't make any sense. :embarrassed: Why would fictional characters have online avatars or an Internet version of themselves?
I know fans here will probably hate this idea but I just see it as they are actors (with the same name) playing a role for their movies and merchandise. That the casual versions are where they get to be themselves. I don't mind it personally. You don't have to accept it as canon in the Disney universe, it's just for this movie. And fits with the premise of the first movie.

Anyway, I love the design of Shank. Not crazy about the name (keep reading it as skank, lol) but she looks cool and has an edge to her we don't typically see in animation.

Though I do think her eyes are a tad on a large side. This is coming from someone who will usually defend large eyes. Smaller eyes in this case would actually help with the edge they're trying to achieve. Not a big deal though.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Kyle wrote:Though I do think her eyes are a tad on a large side.
I agree. Her design would have worked better if her eyes were a bit smaller. They would fit better with the rest of her features which are more realistically proportionate.