DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1544 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 78  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:13 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:46 am
Posts: 4233
Location: Maryland, USA
Sotiris wrote:
Like 95% of this movie's promotion so far have been the princesses.


Hopefully with the "big news" tomorrow, it's focused less on the princesses. With that still, they will probably give us a tiny bit of that part. I'm guessing the next trailer AND the cast list. The voice of Snow White just tweeted the world is about to find out there's MUCH more to the movie than the princesses.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:07 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:29 pm
Posts: 3521
The princesses look awful in the casual outfits. I didn't think it was possible for the scene to get worse but I shouldn't have been surprised to see Disney bring themselves even lower. I'm a very liberal person but I have no interest in having a "woke" Disney Princess, or in this case all the princesses. This film is pandering way too much to millennials and sadly, the promotion seems to be working even at the expense of Ralph, Vanellope, and all the other original characters.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:26 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure

Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:07 pm
Posts: 2956
Location: Spain
A special look will air tomorrow on Disney Channel. I don't know if it's the same thing Rich Moore announced or if it's something different. I hope they reveal who the secret characters are or some new info about the plot.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:42 am 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:02 am
Posts: 10239
Location: America
I like how all the princesses look in their modern outfits. But is it just me or does Cinderella actually look more like herself?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:25 am 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:02 pm
Posts: 4303
Location: SoCal
Surprised no one has pointed this out from the above article:
Quote:
Ralph Breaks the Internet imagines the princesses’ online avatars (not the real characters) cohabitating in an appropriately castle-themed dressing room

... which seems to confirm what I've been saying for ages now; these aren't intended to be the "real" characters from the films, they're the "internet" versions.
Not that it really matters to over-analyze, as it seems everyone has already decided that this sequence is either fun and hilarious, or the death of Disney as we know it. :milkbuds:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:15 am 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:06 am
Posts: 14116
Elladorine wrote:
These aren't intended to be the "real" characters from the films, they're the "internet" versions.

But that doesn't make any sense. :embarrassed: Why would fictional characters have online avatars or an Internet version of themselves? Oh My Disney didn't create a special, online version of them that differs from their movie counterparts; they just post articles about them. Had Disney launched an app or an online game with the princesses in the way they are depicted here, I would understand including them then. Not to mention, people won't be able to tell the difference because the movie itself doesn't make a distinction.

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:19 am 
Offline
Gold Collection
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:36 pm
Posts: 191
Location: Sweden
Sotiris wrote:
Elladorine wrote:
These aren't intended to be the "real" characters from the films, they're the "internet" versions.

But that doesn't make any sense. :embarrassed: Why would fictional characters have online avatars or an Internet version of themselves? Oh My Disney didn't create a special, online version of them that differs from their movie counterparts; they just post articles about them. Had Disney launched an app or an online game with the princesses in the way they are depicted here, I would understand including them then. Not to mention, people won't be able to tell the difference because the movie itself doesn't make a distinction.


I think they just say that to avoid any kind of hate, Sotiris.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:31 am 
Offline
Collector's Edition
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 11:09 pm
Posts: 789
Sotiris wrote:
Warm Regards wrote:
See this concept art for example.

That's not concept art; it's fan art by David Gilson (aka Prince Kido).


Ah, my bad. Thanks for the correction. It still is very pretty though. Could have sworn there was another legit concept art (in the Art of book?) with Tiana sans a bun but it's no big deal, I think the point was made.

DisneyBluLife wrote:
Sotiris wrote:
Elladorine wrote:
These aren't intended to be the "real" characters from the films, they're the "internet" versions.

But that doesn't make any sense. :embarrassed: Why would fictional characters have online avatars or an Internet version of themselves? Oh My Disney didn't create a special, online version of them that differs from their movie counterparts; they just post articles about them. Had Disney launched an app or an online game with the princesses in the way they are depicted here, I would understand including them then. Not to mention, people won't be able to tell the difference because the movie itself doesn't make a distinction.


I think they just say that to avoid any kind of hate, Sotiris.


More likely, it's a reason to have animated movie characters who would need personification in an internet world.

Maybe they should have made the princesses the video game versions from Kingdom Hearts 3 or something like that. Disney promotes the a game (because this movie is promoting a lot already), and the princesses can still be shown as having casual down time, as it's addressed that video game characters do other things when not "playing".


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:10 am 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:46 am
Posts: 4233
Location: Maryland, USA
The mystery chick has been revealed: A racer named Shanks of Slaughter Race, voiced by Gal Gadot and she's GORGEOUS

https://twitter.com/GalGadot/status/1027933469651939329

And a sneak peek of a new trailer

https://www.facebook.com/GalGadot/video ... 751228926/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:44 am 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure

Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:28 pm
Posts: 2935
Gal Gadot?? Well, that was a well hidden secret and an intriguing one!

But I must say that she looks good. Looks better than the Princesses and it's true.

Sotiris wrote:
Is this movie even about Ralph and Vanellope? Like 95% of this movie's promotion so far have been the princesses.

You know what, I was actually thinking about the same thing the other day! But it's not strange that the Princess-scene have gotten all the attention, since it is unusual to have them all featured together in a movie. Yet it's still remarkable that most of the promotion has been about our royal chicks.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:17 pm 
Offline
Collector's Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 19, 2018 4:09 pm
Posts: 860
Gal Gadot?! I did not see that coming...
I wonder if she'll do her voice in Hebrew as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:12 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:00 pm
Posts: 1749
well no wonder poor Calhoun has taken a back seat in this! a new tough chick for Vanelope to bond with! (Sigh) really couldn't that role have just gone to Calhoun? I dont like how half the original cast are getting shortened roles just to show off new ones. This doesn't bode well for the Frozen sequel. I want to know more about Hans and Kristoff, not have them sidelined so we can get even more new, possibly more marketable characters! :roll:

as for the casually clothed princess, well I think its cute, but I agree that they are spending way too much time focusing on them in the advertising. From a marketing standpoint it makes sense as millennials are eating this up. I wonder if they didnt have much faith that the sequel would be successful without highlighting all this stuff and putting it in the forefront. Honestly Id be angrier about this but Im dealing with some difficult real life stuff right now that has kept my mind from being focused so much on this, but we'll see what happens when Frozen 2 comes around(theyre bound to really get me ticked off then, lol!) :P

_________________
Support To Belong
Hullabaloo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:28 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:46 am
Posts: 4233
Location: Maryland, USA
Not to be ungrateful, but I have to say that I'm very disappointed that this was the "biggest secret of the movie that will change the wait forever," despite they're clearly hiding Felix and Calhoun for a reason. This was only a announcement they could have made with Taraji and Alan. I'm really glad we have footage though, despite that they should have dropped the full trailer while they were at it. But, it's better than no news.

So glad it looks like Slaughter Race has a point to the movie: To get money for the Sugar Rush broken wheel at eBay. And this must be why Vanellope wants to stay on the Internet: She loves Slaughter Race much more than Sugar Rush. So, she isn't abandoning her character and love of racing after all, thank goodness.

DisneyFan09 wrote:
But I must say that she looks good. Looks better than the Princesses and it's true.


It IS and I was about to say. Calhoun and Shank are some of the beautiful Disney ladies because they actually look like real women and not Disney cartoon characters like Rapunzel, Anna, Elsa, and Moana. It's quite a comparison between Shank and the Oh my Disney Princesses.

unprincess wrote:
I dont like how half the original cast are getting shortened roles just to show off new ones.


I'm really nervous they will barely show the Felix/Calhoun plot because of like you said, the focus on these 100 new characters. This is pretty much a indication that there will very little time on them :( And honestly, how is it possible with everything happening in the movie?

unprincess wrote:
as for the casually clothed princess, well I think its cute, but I agree that they are spending way too much time focusing on them in the advertising. From a marketing standpoint it makes sense as millennials are eating this up. I wonder if they didnt have much faith that the sequel would be successful without highlighting all this stuff and putting it in the forefront.


Bingo. The first movie isn't that remembered and like I said a while back, only one or two or three guests I worked with at Disney knew about the first movie. It got no love. No recognition. No merch. No anything. It disappeared like Bolt, Pooh, Chicken Little etc. Six years later, Disney knows the game. What does everyone love? Marvel. Star Wars. And above all, the Disney Princesses. Everyone knows them and again, loves them. They're the honey in the hive for Wreck-It Ralph. now, EVERYONE is familiar with the movie and wants to see them for the Princesses, alone. The pic with the princesses in their clothes "broke" Twitter and Tumblr. Ralph and Vanellope alone wouldn't do that and Disney as heck knows it. Remember the Frozen teaser in 2013? Everyone "loved" the snowman and reindeer. No princesses. Bam. Olaf and Sven=The Princesses.

And I'm sorry, unprincess. Warm hugs and energy on your way!


Last edited by disneyprincess11 on Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:00 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:00 pm
Posts: 1749
^aww thanks! :oops:
yep Disney certainly knows what they're doing, look at all the buzz they've generated online, I don't think that would have happened if the focus had just been on the actual plot important characters(even if they are the ones we should have known about first!) Im really worried for Calhoun/Felix, they were my favorite characters from the first film and Id hate it if all we see from them is a bit in the beginning(the usual "where are they now?" scene you get at the beginning of every sequel) and we only see them again at the end when the plot has resolved. Sigh.

_________________
Support To Belong
Hullabaloo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:07 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure

Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:28 pm
Posts: 2935
disneyprincess11 wrote:
It IS and I was about to say. Calhoun and Shank are some of the beautiful Disney ladies because they actually look like real women and not Disney cartoon characters like Rapunzel, Anna, Elsa, and Moana. It's quite a comparison between Shank and the Oh my Disney Princesses

I know, right? They may not look as photo-realistic as Princess Fiona from Shrek, but at least they've managed to be caricatured and yet have an appealing and beautiful look. I thought Moana was attractive at times, but otherwise I agree that both Calhoun and Shank are more classic beauties than the Revival Princesses and especially the sisters from Frozen.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:32 pm 
Offline
Collector's Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 19, 2018 4:09 pm
Posts: 860
Yeah too bad they don't look more realistic. I really want to get to the point where we can't tell the difference between animation and live action anymore.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:28 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:42 pm
Posts: 1288
I dunno, im with Sotiris. This feels very hollow and driven by marketing. I know Disney has always considered marketing in mind, but at least the classic movies had a level of artistry and the marketing crap was outside of the film's reign. This is feeling to getting close to that direct to video sequels territory. Avocado-loving millenial hipster princesses, eBay, Wonder Woman...What's next? It feels like being a product of a consumerist society, to use and quickly dispose.

_________________
Awaiting for the Beatles of DVDIzzy: Disneyjedi , disneyphilip, TsWade2, and 2DDisney4Ever

And Goliath and Duster were Sonny and Cher.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:38 pm 
Offline
Collector's Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 19, 2018 4:09 pm
Posts: 860
thedisneyspirit wrote:
I dunno, im with Sotiris. This feels very hollow and driven by marketing. I know Disney has always considered marketing in mind, but at least the classic movies had a level of artistry and the marketing crap was outside of the film's reign. This is feeling to getting close to that direct to video sequels territory. Avocado-loving millenial hipster princesses, eBay, Wonder Woman...What's next? It feels like being a product of a consumerist society, to use and quickly dispose.


I agree. The Disney Princesses franchise irked me from the get go because of how it removed each princess' individual personality and reduced them to this shallowness, but at least it was a side effect and not a part of the WDAS canon. I guess some studio had to take Disneytoon's job once it got shut down.


Last edited by farerb on Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:47 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:00 pm
Posts: 1749
yep I agree with all of you...thats why Im worried about Frozen 2. Im worried it will have a thin semblance of a plot so they can just cram a bunch of Frozen memes(considering how much the first film's popularity was driven from its online presence in places like YouTube and Tumblr.)

and I agree that I wish more Disney female characters where designed with more realistic aesthetics like Calhoun and Shank(awful name though, lol!)

_________________
Support To Belong
Hullabaloo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:05 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:42 pm
Posts: 1288
unprincess wrote:
Shank(awful name though, lol!)


Sounds like Skank.

_________________
Awaiting for the Beatles of DVDIzzy: Disneyjedi , disneyphilip, TsWade2, and 2DDisney4Ever

And Goliath and Duster were Sonny and Cher.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1544 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 78  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 55 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group