Future of early Disney films

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
willard
Gold Classic Collection

Future of early Disney films

Post by willard »

So early Disney films like Steamboat Willie will start falling into the public domain starting in 2023 and it seems there is no push to extend copyright. That begs the question as to what Disney will do with their films after this. It seems logical that they will keep them on their streaming service. They'll always own or have access to pre-print material and will be able make the best-quality copies. They could choose not to allow users to download the films and could use watermarks to stop people from video-recording them on their computer screens. Thus the only way to see the films in pristine form would be to go to the site.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Re: Future of early Disney films

Post by thedisneyspirit »

Won't Disney extend the copyright law? I recall they did the same thing a few years ago.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Re: Future of early Disney films

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Disney has been given much of the blame for the Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act, which became possible because Bill Clinton signed it behind closed doors, but the story is not that simple. I read an article about it a while ago where they went into more details (can't remember where I read it).