Disney Buys Fox

All topics relating to content owned by Disney that is not Disney-branded.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Re: Disney Buys Fox

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Thank you for sharing this information. It would be great if there was a database with all the information on various international dubs so people who want to seek out the definitive dubbing of their country could easily find that.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

estefan wrote:The funny thing with MGM is Fox currently handles the home video distribution rights on their titles (which consist of MGM's post-1986 library as well as movies acquired when they merged with United Artists and bought Orion Pictures). Apparently, this deal is set to last until 2020, but I don't know if Disney will renew it.
And awkwardly some of the US home video rights on Fox titles such as The Princess Bride, Mr. Mom, and Buckaroo Banzai are owned by MGM. Disney however, through Fox, will keep the TV rights (not sure if MGM owns TV rights to Buckaroo Banzai though, they might) along with the TV rights to some other titles originally distributed by Fox that are now owned by different companies such as Highlander, Suspiria, and Inferno.
DisneyBluLife
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DisneyBluLife »

JeanGreyForever wrote:Thank you for sharing this information. It would be great if there was a database with all the information on various international dubs so people who want to seek out the definitive dubbing of their country could easily find that.
Do you mean something like this website? (Not my website)
https://disneyinternationaldubbings.weebly.com

I have my own Swedish Disney blog called Magic Gold, where I post information of the Swedish dubs and much more of everything else about Disney.
http://www.nouw.com/magicgold
Last edited by DisneyBluLife on Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

You know while I'm here, someone encouraged me to share you my new game in the Polls and Games section; The Disney-Fox Game:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=32824
DisneyBluLife
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DisneyBluLife »

DisneyBluLife wrote:Here is the history of Disney redubs in Sweden of the first five Disney classics. I want to share my knowledge to those who are intrested. :D
Please tell me if you want to know more.

1. Snow White and the seven dwarfs (was originally dubbed in 1938, and was redubbed in 1982. The original dub from 1938 had according to Walt Disney himself the BEST voice for Snow White, 14 years old Tatiana Angelini. The redub from 1982 is still being used today on all VHS, DVD and Blu-ray editions.)

TV interview here with Tatiana Angelini from 1982. English subtitles are avaliable. :)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zFo-7Y6VP3A

2. Pinocchio (was originally dubbed 1940, and was redubbed in 1995. The dub from 1940 is only available on the first rental VHS copy from 1987. All later VHS, DVD and Blu-ray editions have the new dub from 1995.)

3. Fantasia (was originally dubbed in 1940, was first redubbed in 1960 and was redubbed again in 1986 and 2010. All VHS editions and the first DVD edition from 2000 have the 1986 dub, the newest Blu-ray and DVD editions have the new 2010 dub.)

4. Dumbo (was originally dubbed in 1946. The 1946 Swedish dub was produced in USA by Walt Disney himself as an consultant. Dumbo was later redubbed in 1972 and 1996. The first VHS edition from 1991 has the 1972 redub. All later VHS, DVD and Blu-ray editions have the 1996 dub)

5. Bambi (was dubbed in 1943, and later redubbed in 1986. The 1994 VHS had the the original 1943 dub by mistake, this was later fixed in the very last print run of the VHS. The 1994 VHS edition with the 1986 dub is more rare to find because of that. All later VHS, DVD and Blu-ray editions have the newest dub from 1986.)
:)
Let's continue! :D

6. Saludos Amigos (was dubbed in 1944 in USA by Walt Disney Productions, just like the 1946 original Swedish dub of Dumbo. Clarence Nash, the English voice of Donald Duck did the Swedish voice for him in this dub. The dub is avaliable on the Swedish 1985 VHS, but it is not included on the 2006 DVD release. The 2006 DVD has only Swedish subtitles. Some of the cartoon segments in this movie has also been released as seperate short films with different Swedish dubs)

7. The Three caballeros ( was dubbed in 1945 in USA by Walt Disney Productions, just like the dubs of Saludos Amigos and Dumbo. The English voice actors, Clarence Nash, José Oliviera and Joaquin Garay did the voices of Donald, José and Panchito in the Swedish dub. The dub is avaliable on the Swedish VHS from 1985, but is not included on the 2006 DVD release. The DVD has only Swedish subtitles. Some of the cartoon segments in this movie has also been released as seperate short films with different Swedish dubs).

8. Make Mine Music (has never been dubbed into Swedish, all cinema screenings, VHS and DVD editions have only Swedish subtitles.The Swedish DVD edition has the "Martins and the coys" segment included)

9. Fun and Fancy free ( was dubbed in 1950 in Sweden. The dub is avaliable on the Swedish VHS from 1985. When the movie was released on DVD in 2003 the "Mickey and the beanstalk" segment and the part with Edgar Bergen and his dolls was redubbed with new voices, but the "Bongo" segment keeped its original 1950 dub.)

10. Melody Time (the movie as a whole has not been dubbed into Swedish. Only the "Once upon a wintertime" segment was dubbed during the 90s as a seperate short film. All cinema screenings, VHS and DVD editions of Melody Time have only Swedish subtitles.The movie is UNCENSORED on the Swedish DVD edition)

11. The adventures of Ichabod and Mr.Toad. (The movie as a whole has not been dubbed into Swedish. All cinema screenings, VHS and DVD editions have only Swedish subtitles. Only the "Legend of Sleepy Hollow" segment was dubbed in 2003 as a seperate short film.)
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Fox is fighting to keep The Simpsons on its proper channel come the merger:
http://comicbook.com/tv-shows/2018/08/0 ... fox-fight/

I wouldn't worry though because I doubt Disney would remove Simpsons from Fox completely. If anything, they'll keep it on the proper channel.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

DisneyBluLife wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:Thank you for sharing this information. It would be great if there was a database with all the information on various international dubs so people who want to seek out the definitive dubbing of their country could easily find that.
Do you mean something like this website? (Not my website)
https://disneyinternationaldubbings.weebly.com

I have my own Swedish Disney blog called Magic Gold, where I post information of the Swedish dubs and much more of everything else about Disney.
http://www.nouw.com/magicgold
Oh cool, I didn't realize that website existed. I'm sure that's a great resource for international fans. And thanks for linking to your blog!
ImageImage
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

Mickeyfan1990 wrote:Fox is fighting to keep The Simpsons on its proper channel come the merger:
http://comicbook.com/tv-shows/2018/08/0 ... fox-fight/

I wouldn't worry though because I doubt Disney would remove Simpsons from Fox completely. If anything, they'll keep it on the proper channel.
What about all other Fox animated shows, like "Futurama", "Family Guy", "Bob's Burgers" and so on?
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Well Futurama ended and as for the other Fox sitcoms I think it's the same matter; keeping them on Fox.

Incidentally, I found out another Marvel production Disney will be acquiring in the merger; Death of The Incredible Hulk (via Fox's ownership of the post-1989 New World TV library and which incidentally the New World Animation-produced Marvel shows are owned by Disney).
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

Mickeyfan1990 wrote:Well Futurama ended and as for the other Fox sitcoms I think it's the same matter; keeping them on Fox.
I hope that's the case. These shows really have no place at Disney, I don't think.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Well it's not like they'll be part of the Disney brand itself. It's a lot like an R-Rated movie from Touchstone or a TV-PG/14 sitcom from ABC, they're under the Disney umbrella but they're not part of the Disney brand itself (or to put it specifically not under the Disney banner).

And you know what, I just realize another show Fox will be sort of reunited; The PJ's (the animated Eddie Murphy sitcom that was a Touchstone production that originally aired on Fox, the first 2 seasons anyway).
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Well we knew this was going to happen:
https://screenrant.com/disney-fox-movie ... se-merger/
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

Mickeyfan1990 wrote:Well we knew this was going to happen:
https://screenrant.com/disney-fox-movie ... se-merger/
So, from reading the article (or at least speed-reading it), it looks like "The Simpsons" and the other Fox animated shows are indeed going to be under Disney ownership. As for the Disney brand, there's no telling what they might do in terms of Fox animated shows.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Well, I was referring to the fact that Disney will release any upcoming completed Fox films after the merger (the headline of the stated it clear).
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

Mickeyfan1990 wrote:Well, I was referring to the fact that Disney will release any upcoming completed Fox films after the merger (the headline of the stated it clear).
Which apparently will include "The Simpsons".
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

So will Disney make the Simpsons more kid-friendly.

the Simpsons haven't been relevant in decades...
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

I guess this means Dark Phoenix and New Mutans will get released after all.
Disney will release all of Fox’s movies that are complete or in production at the time of the acquisition, said a person with knowledge of its plans. It’s less certain what will happen to films still in development at the time of the takeover.
Source: https://www.wsj.com/articles/its-gettin ... 1533906010
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

thedisneyspirit wrote:So will Disney make the Simpsons more kid-friendly.

That's not the point. I'm wondering if this means they could be integrated into the Disney parks, which is pretty hard to do, since they already have a presence at the Universal parks.

I don't think they have that problem, though, with, say, "Family Guy" or "Bob's Burgers". I would mention "Futurama", but as some have pointed out, it's been canceled.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Sotiris wrote:I guess this means Dark Phoenix and New Mutans will get released after all.
Ugh, I was hoping these two films would be cancelled. I'd much rather see the MCU version of Dark Phoenix than Faux-Men's continued treatment.
ImageImage
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Big Disney Fan wrote:
thedisneyspirit wrote:So will Disney make the Simpsons more kid-friendly.

That's not the point. I'm wondering if this means they could be integrated into the Disney parks, which is pretty hard to do, since they already have a presence at the Universal parks.

I don't think they have that problem, though, with, say, "Family Guy" or "Bob's Burgers". I would mention "Futurama", but as some have pointed out, it's been canceled.
I think The Simpsons will stay a presence at Universal's parks for years. It's been almost ten years since Disney bought Marvel and Universal still holds the theme park rights to certain characters. Those contracts seem rather ironclad.

I don't think Disney will make those animated shows more family friendly, either. Disney produces a number of shows aimed at an older crowd on their ABC Studios banner. They literally have a show called "How to Get Away with Murder." Family Guy has made a number of anti-Disney gags in the past, but I think the writers will come up with some self-referential jokes to parody the show having a new owner.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland