The Walt Disney Signature Collection

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Re: The Walt Disney Signature Collection

Post by Vlad »

I was thinking, maybe The Little Mermaid will be the next entry in the Signature Collection. I know that its 30th anniversary will be next year, but Disney has released anniversary edition DVDs and Blu-rays before the actual anniversaries, like with Sleeping Beauty, Pinocchio and Lady and the Tramp (come to think of it, this one was released after the anniversary). Warner Bros. also did it with The Wizard of Oz, back in 2013. Maybe Jodi Benson's post on Instagram was the first official promotional announcement for this release. So, I think there could be a chance that Mermaid will be the next one. In this case, I'm super excited to see the new cover art, bonus features and, of course, the trailer.
pikachufan1336
Gold Classic Collection

Post by pikachufan1336 »

Disney Duster wrote:
pikachufan1336 wrote:Even though I know a lot of fans like the ceremony of it all. Which I can totally understand.
But then again it's like:
You want a limited time offer?
You need a line up to define what movies are good and what's not?
I don't think anyone thinks the line up is trying to say what movies are good or what aren't.
Actually through my experience, they have. :roll:

Not everyone obviously, but I've seen some passionate arguments.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Sicoe Vlad wrote:I was thinking, maybe The Little Mermaid will be the next entry in the Signature Collection. I know that its 30th anniversary will be next year, but Disney has released anniversary edition DVDs and Blu-rays before the actual anniversaries, like with Sleeping Beauty, Pinocchio and Lady and the Tramp (come to think of it, this one was released after the anniversary). Warner Bros. also did it with The Wizard of Oz, back in 2013. Maybe Jodi Benson's post on Instagram was the first official promotional announcement for this release. So, I think there could be a chance that Mermaid will be the next one. In this case, I'm super excited to see the new cover art, bonus features and, of course, the trailer.
Fingers crossed!
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

pikachufan1336 wrote:
Disney Duster wrote: I don't think anyone thinks the line up is trying to say what movies are good or what aren't.
Actually through my experience, they have. :roll:

Not everyone obviously, but I've seen some passionate arguments.
Even if it isn't the fans doing it, it's clear that Disney believes this way. Other titles get random reissues with the mere addition of a digital copy code. While the Signature Editions aren't much more hefty with bonus features, they still get a few new things plus heavy promotion.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
pikachufan1336
Gold Classic Collection

Post by pikachufan1336 »

Disney Duster wrote:

Even if it isn't the fans doing it, it's clear that Disney believes this way. Other titles get random reissues with the mere addition of a digital copy code. While the Signature Editions aren't much more hefty with bonus features, they still get a few new things plus heavy promotion.
Yea but it's not really justified. If it's a marketing tool that's one thing, but special treatment is silly. That is if you take it at face value.
Anyone with a basic animation history will tell you that Dumbo and Fantasia are some of the greatest animated movies of all time, and rightly so.
I don't need a marketing tool to tell me that a (by comparison) chicken sh- movie like The Jungle Book is better than those two.
And Alice in Wonderland, while I can't really pretend it has that level of integrity, is universally agreed upon as among the best of them. It has a higher rating on IMDB than any other Disney film from the 50s. Robin Hood and Mulan are also extremely popular. Higher rating on IMDB than half of the Vault movies.
Etc.

I get why they aren't in the Vault (well ok Alice, Dumbo, and Fantasia are clearly treated differently but let's be real here).

I get why Disney pushes that image but the fact that some fans take it at face value is rather ugly and stupid. Maybe it's just me and I'm on the wrong side of the internet, but I find it obnoxious. Especially now it's getting old.

I feel the same way about the princess line up.
Aside from the representation PC stuff, when does being a princess add any credibility to your movie.
Anyone want to sit there and tell me that Wall-E or the Incredibles are inferior movies to Pocahontas just because the ladder is a Princess?
See, no one.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Ok, for one, IMDB user ratings I find unusable as real ratings of a movie's worth because some of the greatest movies have crap ratings and vice versa, and two, I am saying that no one thinks that because of lineups for special collection or princesses that the movies apart of those lineups are the only good ones and all the other movies are bad.
pikachufan1336
Gold Classic Collection

Post by pikachufan1336 »

Disney Duster wrote:Ok, for one, IMDB user ratings I find unusable as real ratings of a movie's worth because some of the greatest movies have crap ratings and vice versa, and two, I am saying that no one thinks that because of lineups for special collection or princesses that the movies apart of those lineups are the only good ones and all the other movies are bad.
1. Wait I'm confused. Are you saying IMDB is unreliable or that you just don't like it? I don't necessarily agree with the ratings either but it's probably the most popular ratings cite that uses audience ratings.

2. Again, maybe I'm on the wrong side of the fandom, but from what I've seen, it can get pretty ugly. I've seen comments like "I want _ to be in the line up" followed by a comment like "that movie/character is stupid/horrible/no one likes it/ etc."

I myself was caught up in an ugly conversation. Long story short: Because I preferred Alice as a character over Tiana. I was hit with "she's not a princess so who cares" followed by "your a racist". We weren't even talking about princesses, or at least I wasn't.
Unsurprisingly it was tumblr.
I didn't take it that seriously but I was jarred by the sudden outburst.

I'm not saying anyone here thinks that way. As for Disney, while the 12+ films are in high regards, it's not necessarily that simple, in fact even Walt will tell you that not all of his movies are THAT great. It's about how well has that film done on Home Video, that's really it.
But it does fascinate me in a way in how something that gave slightly bigger celebration all of a sudden becomes condescending to some people.
I can't tell you the number of people who I've talked to IRL about the Vault and it follows with "Why isn't _ in the Vault" Without me really explaining.

It's not a big deal, but it is a thing.

Hell I took it at face value when I first got interested in Movie collecting back in 2008 (that said I was 13).
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Sicoe Vlad wrote:I was thinking, maybe The Little Mermaid will be the next entry in the Signature Collection. [...] Maybe Jodi Benson's post on Instagram was the first official promotional announcement for this release. So, I think there could be a chance that Mermaid will be the next one. In this case, I'm super excited to see the new cover art, bonus features and, of course, the trailer.
I want to believe it, but it would be difficult to when you consider the amount of lead time between Jodi's Instagram post, a press release, and a street date for the disc.

I went looking back through some of the other Signature Collection bonus features to see if I could gauge when they were shot versus when they were released. It's hard to tell with these things, because some bonus features have long lead times while others have shorter ones.

For example, the "Always Belle" featurette on Beauty and the Beast was filmed right before the Super Summer Theatre's production of Beauty and the Beast began playing.
In her Facebook Post from June 2, 2016, you can see a candid photo taken during their interview session. The press release for Beauty and the Beast's Signature Collection would happen three weeks later, on June 24, with the actual content seeing release digitally (September 6) and on disc (September 20), giving us a three-month lead time between the press release and the disc street date, but far less lead time between the completion of that one bonus feature and the official announcement.

By comparison, "The Pinocchio Project" was listed among the bonus features for Pinocchio: Signature Collection, which was announced November 21. One of the singers, Tanner Patrick, likely recorded his part over the summer, which we can vaguely pinpoint to anytime before August 26, as that's when he released his YouTube video for his cover of "Closer" by The Chainsmokers. He's wearing the same clothes and has the same hairstyle in both. So his contribution to "The Pinocchio Project" was done well in advance of the press release, as opposed to that brief three-week lead time for the "Always Belle" feature on Beauty and the Beast.

Based on Jodi's Instagram, they shot the bonus feature on July 11. So if we assume it'll get edited and polished up within a few weeks (and likely before McKinley goes back to university), then we could either see an official press release shortly after (similar to Beauty and the Beast) or not for a long while (similar to Pinocchio). The more recent trends in Disney's press releases have shown one or two month gaps between a press release and a street date. If The Little Mermaid is going to be the Fall 2018 Signature Collection, its press release will have to go out either next week to announce a late-August release or sometime in mid-August to announce a late-September release. The latter seems the likeliest, as it would give The Little Mermaid a release date that wouldn't get overshadowed by the Blu-Ray releases of Avengers: Infinity War (August 14) or Solo (September 4). But I'd personally prefer if The Little Mermaid not get released until its actual anniversary year, as Disney's miraculously managed to do for Beauty and the Beast (25th), Bambi (75th), and Peter Pan (65th). As I theorized some pages back in here, I can see it as a 2019 entry because it would help build the momentum and anticipation for their upcoming live-action remake, which would either start or already be in production next year.

For an old-school example of the lead time between bonus features, press releases, and street date, way back in 2010 I learned about the Beauty and the Beast supplements from Don Hahn himself during a March 16 screening of Waking Sleeping Beauty. He told me firsthand that they shot a new documentary, would have a piece about Howard Ashman, and include more material about the non-musical Purdum version (which was only excerpted in Waking Sleeping Beauty. He just had to look them over before final submission to Disney. Quite literally, two weeks later (March 29), Disney released the official press release for Beauty and the Beast, including all the material he mentioned, though the disc wouldn't get released for another six months (October 5). So lead times have definitely changed between now and then.

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

IMDB is unreliable in knowing if a film is good or not and how many people will love the film with time. Newer movies usually get rated higher but then after a while you see what people really think about them.

You haven't convinced me that a great number of people think only the specially treated Disney film collections and princesses are the only good movies from Disney and the rest are bad, but you bring up some good evidence. But I mean really, you even have where people think their favorite movies are so good they should be part of the collections thus their movies are still good despite not being in such collections.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Escapay wrote:
Sicoe Vlad wrote:I was thinking, maybe The Little Mermaid will be the next entry in the Signature Collection. [...] Maybe Jodi Benson's post on Instagram was the first official promotional announcement for this release. So, I think there could be a chance that Mermaid will be the next one. In this case, I'm super excited to see the new cover art, bonus features and, of course, the trailer.
I want to believe it, but it would be difficult to when you consider the amount of lead time between Jodi's Instagram post, a press release, and a street date for the disc.

I went looking back through some of the other Signature Collection bonus features to see if I could gauge when they were shot versus when they were released. It's hard to tell with these things, because some bonus features have long lead times while others have shorter ones.

For example, the "Always Belle" featurette on Beauty and the Beast was filmed right before the Super Summer Theatre's production of Beauty and the Beast began playing.
In her Facebook Post from June 2, 2016, you can see a candid photo taken during their interview session. The press release for Beauty and the Beast's Signature Collection would happen three weeks later, on June 24, with the actual content seeing release digitally (September 6) and on disc (September 20), giving us a three-month lead time between the press release and the disc street date, but far less lead time between the completion of that one bonus feature and the official announcement.

By comparison, "The Pinocchio Project" was listed among the bonus features for Pinocchio: Signature Collection, which was announced November 21. One of the singers, Tanner Patrick, likely recorded his part over the summer, which we can vaguely pinpoint to anytime before August 26, as that's when he released his YouTube video for his cover of "Closer" by The Chainsmokers. He's wearing the same clothes and has the same hairstyle in both. So his contribution to "The Pinocchio Project" was done well in advance of the press release, as opposed to that brief three-week lead time for the "Always Belle" feature on Beauty and the Beast.

Based on Jodi's Instagram, they shot the bonus feature on July 11. So if we assume it'll get edited and polished up within a few weeks (and likely before McKinley goes back to university), then we could either see an official press release shortly after (similar to Beauty and the Beast) or not for a long while (similar to Pinocchio). The more recent trends in Disney's press releases have shown one or two month gaps between a press release and a street date. If The Little Mermaid is going to be the Fall 2018 Signature Collection, its press release will have to go out either next week to announce a late-August release or sometime in mid-August to announce a late-September release. The latter seems the likeliest, as it would give The Little Mermaid a release date that wouldn't get overshadowed by the Blu-Ray releases of Avengers: Infinity War (August 14) or Solo (September 4). But I'd personally prefer if The Little Mermaid not get released until its actual anniversary year, as Disney's miraculously managed to do for Beauty and the Beast (25th), Bambi (75th), and Peter Pan (65th). As I theorized some pages back in here, I can see it as a 2019 entry because it would help build the momentum and anticipation for their upcoming live-action remake, which would either start or already be in production next year.

For an old-school example of the lead time between bonus features, press releases, and street date, way back in 2010 I learned about the Beauty and the Beast supplements from Don Hahn himself during a March 16 screening of Waking Sleeping Beauty. He told me firsthand that they shot a new documentary, would have a piece about Howard Ashman, and include more material about the non-musical Purdum version (which was only excerpted in Waking Sleeping Beauty. He just had to look them over before final submission to Disney. Quite literally, two weeks later (March 29), Disney released the official press release for Beauty and the Beast, including all the material he mentioned, though the disc wouldn't get released for another six months (October 5). So lead times have definitely changed between now and then.

Albert
I see your point. :) we’ll just see what the official announcement will be :)
pikachufan1336
Gold Classic Collection

Post by pikachufan1336 »

Disney Duster wrote:IMDB is unreliable in knowing if a film is good or not and how many people will love the film with time. Newer movies usually get rated higher but then after a while you see what people really think about them.

You haven't convinced me that a great number of people think only the specially treated Disney film collections and princesses are the only good movies from Disney and the rest are bad, but you bring up some good evidence. But I mean really, you even have where people think their favorite movies are so good they should be part of the collections thus their movies are still good despite not being in such collections.
You make a good point about IMDB, but it's still something...

For the Disney vault, That's my point exactly. I'm not saying a great number of people think that way nor did i try to convince anyone of anything, I'm just saying it is a thing. It's not like I purposely seek out these people but it's probably the most annoying part of the Disney vault to me. Yes that includes the limited time offer.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Wait, I don't understand. My point is everyone still thinks other Disney movies are good despite not getting special treatment. You said that's exactly your point but that wasn't your point.
pikachufan1336
Gold Classic Collection

Post by pikachufan1336 »

Disney Duster wrote:Wait, I don't understand. My point is everyone still thinks other Disney movies are good despite not getting special treatment. You said that's exactly your point but that wasn't your point.
My point was that some people get offended when a movie they think is great is not in the vault, and that some others/same people think that every other non-vault movie is inferior. Sure not everyone but they're out there.

I personally agree with you.

Sorry if i made it confusing.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Ok sure, I can believe that some people think any non-vault title is inferior.
pikachufan1336
Gold Classic Collection

Post by pikachufan1336 »

The new Solo movie blu ray street date has just been announced. Usually they have a vault release on the same day. Shouldn't we have gotten word by now?
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Any day now :D
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Still shocked that no title was yet announced. :lol: :lol: :lol:
pikachufan1336
Gold Classic Collection

Post by pikachufan1336 »

Sicoe Vlad wrote:Still shocked that no title was yet announced. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I swear to god if Disney decides to cancel Fantasia again I will flip every table in SoCal
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

Could this mean they are preparing their first 4K Blu-ray release of a 2D animated classic and need more time so they may conceive it properly?...
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

pikachufan1336 wrote:
Sicoe Vlad wrote:Still shocked that no title was yet announced. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I swear to god if Disney decides to cancel Fantasia again I will flip every table in SoCal
Usually ‘Fantasia’ is released around once every decade: 1992, 2000, 2010, ...

If the movie is released only in 2/3 years, it won’t be too surprising...
Last edited by Clindor on Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.