New Disney

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

New Disney

Post by Sotiris »

With the finalization of the Fox acquisition (the board vote on July 27 is a mere formality now that Comcast conceded), The Walt Disney Company will become a subsidiary. A new parent company will be formed called "New Disney". How do y'all feel about that? It's the end of an era. The Walt Disney Company has been the name of the company since 1986. Now Walt's first name will no longer be a part of the company he created.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Re: New Disney

Post by unprincess »

It was inevitable they way things were going. :|
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

So, Disney will be called NEW Disney permanently? :huh: :huh: :huh:
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

This will be the new structure of the company.

willard
Gold Classic Collection

Post by willard »

I would prefer that they just brought back the Buena Vista label.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

willard wrote:I would prefer that they just brought back the Buena Vista label.
I suppose Disney feels that doesn't have the same brand recognition.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Soon we'll call the Disney of the past Old Disney. And we will prefer that one. This title change is bad but at least it shows they're ignoring Walt's ways for the company now.
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

Yet again poor judgement of a company squandering its legacy day by day...one can only imagine the thought that went into this @ the meeting..."wait...I know..lets call it ....#$%NEW%$#....
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Are you guys sure “New Disney” is not a temporary name for convenience?
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Sotiris wrote:With the finalization of the Fox acquisition (the board vote on July 27 is a mere formality now that Comcast conceded), The Walt Disney Company will become a subsidiary. A new parent company will be formed called "New Disney". How do y'all feel about that? It's the end of an era. The Walt Disney Company has been the name of the company since 1986. Now Walt's first name will no longer be a part of the company he created.
NewCoke.jpg
NewCoke.jpg (45.69 KiB) Viewed 4437 times
In all honesty, though, it's not really that big a deal.

The Walt Disney Company still exists, it's not going anywhere. New Disney is just legalese that is necessary for logistical reasons to the acquisition. TWDC essentially becomes both its own parent and child, which is unique among corporate acquisitions.

Nobody batted an eye when Sony acquired Columbia, Viacom acquired Paramount, Time Warner acquired Warner, or Comcast acquired Universal. Each studio still functioned as it had, just with someone else to answer to. Disney is in a unique situation, as they're the "someone else" to Fox, but now to themselves. New Disney is a formality for the merger, but it's not the end of The Walt Disney Company. The company still exists. Despite the premature eulogies, Walt's name has not been scrubbed away just because New Disney is the legal term on paper for what the corporation is.

Albert (who's waiting for merlinjones to chime in, after many years absent, to bitterly say, "It hasn't been the Walt Disney company in years, the current corporation are just rights holders to his films.")
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Escapay wrote:In all honesty, though, it's not really that big a deal. The Walt Disney Company still exists, it's not going anywhere. New Disney is just legalese that is necessary for logistical reasons to the acquisition. TWDC essentially becomes both its own parent and child, which is unique among corporate acquisitions.

It's not that unique; Google did the same thing with Alphabet. And it may not be a big deal but it's an unnecessary and pointless change (that comes with a cringy, silly name) as they could have easily folded 21st Century Fox within TWDC instead if creating a new, common parent company.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

New Disney sounds ridiculous. Nuff said. It's okay to merge with a company, but at least they could come up with a name that sounds even.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Sotiris wrote:And it may not be a big deal but it's an unnecessary and pointless change (that comes with a cringy, silly name) as they could have easily folded 21st Century Fox within TWDC instead if creating a new, common parent company.
The need for a parent company is in relation to the existing 21st Century Fox stock and the shareholders who own them. New Disney basically allows Fox shareholders to either be bought out of their stock at $38/share, or for the shareholders to option the equivalent valuation of their Fox stock towards new Disney stock (hence, New Disney) in order to transfer their money to the new company. The other side of this business deal includes what's left of 21st Century Fox renaming their own company "New Fox" for the same reason. 21st Century Fox stock will cease to exist after the acquisition - the shares will either be bought out by Disney or optioned out as Disney stock.

Unlike when Pixar was acquired by Disney, the terms of this acquisition doesn't allow for complete buyout. Disney bought Pixar stock back at the equivalent of 2.3 Disney shares for one Pixar share, basically giving all Pixar shareholders Disney stock valued at 2.3 times their Pixar stock. That's why Pixar got folded into Disney and does not offer stock options anymore. With a much bigger corporation like Fox, New Disney is now a necessity as it functions as a greater parent company for both shareholders of Disney (whose stocks aren't affected by the Fox buyout beyond going up in value because of the acquisition) and Fox (who, as per the terms of the acquisition, can choose either buyout or stock options with New Disney).

It's simply not possible for The Walt Disney Company to fold 21st Century Fox into their company as a subsidiary, it's much too big. This isn't just one film studio buying another film studio, there are many Fox assets that are getting acquired. Thus, New Disney - for purely business reasons - is the new parent company. It has nothing to do with erasure of the Walt name or some major change to what The Walt Disney Company is. It's literally just business.

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

I'd rather see it called "The New Walt Disney Company" but it would become too much with "The Walt Disney Company, a The New Walt Disney Company". I prefer a new parent company than seeing Fox merged into the Disney I know and adore.