Rank the Cinderella Songs

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Rank the Cinderella Songs

Post by Sotiris »

Rank the Cinderella songs from most to least favorite or from best to worst.

Here are the songs in the order they appear in the film (excluding reprises). The deleted songs are also included at the end.

01. Cinderella (Main Title)
02. A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes
03. Oh, Sing Sweet Nightingale
04. The Work Song
05. Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo
06. So This Is Love
07. I'm in the Middle of a Muddle
08. Sing a Little, Dream A Little
09. The Mouse Song
10. The Dress My Mother Wore
11. The Cinderella Work Song
12. Dancing on a Cloud
13. I Lost My Heart at the Ball
14. The Face That I See in the Night
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Re: Rank the Cinderella Songs

Post by Disney's Divinity »

1. "Oh, Sing Sweet Nightingale"
2. "The Dress That My Mother Wore"
3. "Main Title/Cinderella"
4. "Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo"
5. "Dancing on a Cloud"
6. "A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes"
7. "I'm in the Middle of a Muddle"
8. "The Work Song"
9. "So This Is Love"
10. "I Lost My Heart at the Ball"
11. "Sing a Little, Dream a Little"
12. "The Face That I See in the Night"
13. "The Mouse Song"

Most of these are fine, but I only love the first 4. "Sweet Nightingale" is one of my favorite Disney songs. Ilene Woods has such a warm, soothing voice. In a few of the demos, she makes me think of Judy Garland at moments.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I haven't listened to the deleted songs nearly as much as to the songs in the film and I'm not sure how I would rank them among the rest, so I've made a separate list for them. In general, I prefer the songs that ended up in the movie, but some of the deleted ones are quite good too. For instance, I think "Dancing on a Cloud" or "I Lost My Heart at the Ball" are maybe better love songs than "So This Is Love". However, I wouldn't change it for one of them because in my opinion "So This Is Love" fits better with the style of the rest of the songs in the film.

Also, I've ranked "Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo" first, but I also love the reprise of "A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes" sung by the mice while they're making the dress for Cinderella, and I'm not sure which of them I like the most. But not taking the reprises into consideration, I definitely prefer the one I've chosen.

1. "Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo"
2. "A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes"
3. "The Work Song"
4. "Cinderella (Main Title)"
5. "Oh, Sing Sweet Nightingale"
6. "So This Is Love"

1. "I'm in the Middle of a Muddle"
2. "Dancing on a Cloud"
3. "The Dress My Mother Wore"
4. "I Lost My Heart at the Ball"
5. "Sing a Little, Dream A Little"
6. "The Cinderella Work Song"
7. "The Mouse Song"
8. "The Face That I See in the Night"
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Cinderella has one of my favorite soundtracks for any Disney film so it's difficult for me to rank the songs. I also separated the deleted songs from the main ones, because it's just easier that way.

1. So This is Love
2. A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes
3. Cinderella (Main Title)
4. Sing Sweet Nightingale
5. The Work Song
6. Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo

1. Dancing on a Cloud
2. The Dress My Mother Wore
3. I'm in the Middle of a Muddle
4. The Fact That I See in the Night
5. The Cinderella Work Song
6. I Lost My Heart at the Ball
7. Sing a Little, Dream a Little
8. The Mouse Song
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:Cinderella has one of my favorite soundtracks for any Disney film so it's difficult for me to rank the songs.
It's one of my favorite Disney soundtracks too. Though I like some more than others, I like all the songs in the film. And the score is excellent too.

And since we're talking about Cinderella's songs, I think the lyrics of "Sing Sweet Nightingale" are quite original, don't you think? In each verse of the song the same words are repeated, but each time the last word from the previous verse is not sung. I didn't discover it until I started collecting Disney soundtracks in English more or less 10 years ago. In the Spanish translation they didn't maintain that structure. Probably it was difficult to replicate that in another language and to manage that each verse still made sense on its own with one less word as in the original version. These are the lyrics:

Oh, sing sweet nightingale
Sing sweet nightingale
High above me

Sing sweet nightingale
High above

Sing sweet nightingale
High

Sing sweet nightingale

Sing sweet

Sing

Oh, sing sweet

Oh, sing
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Oh wow, I never noticed that before. Thanks for pointing that out! That's really unique and I can't believe I never noticed it before.
ImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Oh, I never picked up on that, D82! Clever.

Cinderella's not one of my favorite soundtracks by any means. Naturally I'm more inclined towards Menken's soundtracks, but even among Walt's films, I'd put it on the weaker side. Ilene Woods is perfection though.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Thanks for letting us know, D82! I hadn't noticed it either. Years of academy training, wasted! :lol:
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:I hadn't noticed it either. Years of academy training, wasted! :lol:
:lol: I thought everybody probably knew it, but I guess it’s not so easy to notice then. What makes it hard to detect maybe is that each verse has not exactly the same tune. Also, in my previous post I divided the verses in a way in which it was easier to see; while on the CD, for instance, they’re divided differently.

I said I discovered this when I bought the CD, but I’ve now remembered it was actually a bit earlier, it was when I started to copy song lyrics from the English subtitles of Disney DVDs. When DVDs appeared it was the first time I could listen to the songs in their original version (I didn’t have Internet by then). I liked the songs much more in English, and I wanted to learn them, plus it was also a way of learning the language. I liked to analyze how the songs were composed as well: the structure, the rhymes, etc. And it was actually when I was studying the lyrics that I discovered it was written that way. When I was writing them down, I didn't pick up on that yet. I found it interesting and it made me appreciate the song more.

Disney's Divinity wrote:Cinderella's not one of my favorite soundtracks by any means. Naturally I'm more inclined towards Menken's soundtracks, but even among Walt's films, I'd put it on the weaker side. Ilene Woods is perfection though.
My list of top favorites would be mostly comprised of Alan Menken soundtracks too, but apart from Cinderella, among my favorites are also some from Walt's films like Snow White, The Jungle Book or Lady and the Tramp.
bruno_wbt
Anniversary Edition

Post by bruno_wbt »

D82 wrote:
Sing sweet nightingale
High above me

Sing sweet nightingale
High above

Sing sweet nightingale
High

Sing sweet nightingale

Sing sweet

Sing

Oh, sing sweet

Oh, sing

Cinderella even finishes the song with an ''Oh!'' when she realizes that Lucifer is messing everything up.

Thanks for pointing that out, now I love this song even more.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

bruno_wbt wrote:Cinderella even finishes the song with an ''Oh!'' when she realizes that Lucifer is messing everything up.
It’s true! I had wondered why they ended the song with two words instead of one, but they actually did so! And in a quite clever way.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Here's my ranking.

So This Is Love
A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes
Dancing on a Cloud
Cinderella
Oh, Sing Sweet Nightingale
I Lost My Heart at the Ball
The Work Song
Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo
The Dress My Mother Wore
Sing a Little, Dream A Little
I'm in the Middle of a Muddle
The Face That I See in the Night
The Cinderella Work Song
The Mouse Song
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

D82 that was an amazing discovery, and bruno_wbt, that was an amazing addition to it! That makes my favorite song from the film, "Oh, Sing Sweet Nightingale" even more cool. I'll post my rankings when I've re-listened to all of them.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Ok well I re-listened to the deleted songs. I remember the ones from the film well enough.

01. Sing, Sweet Nightingale
02. Cinderella (Main Title)
03. Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo
04. A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes
05. So This is Love
06. The Work Song
07. The Dress My Mother Wore
08. Dancing On a Cloud
09. Sing a Little, Dream a Little
10. I Lost My Heart at the Ball
11. The Face That I See in the Night
12. The Mouse Song
13. I'm in the Middle of a Muddle

Why did you make a seperate listing for "The Cinderella Work Song"? I checked my CD and it's just "The Work Song".

I only have sentimental love for any of the Cinderella songs except "Sing, Sweet Nightingale", "Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo" and "Cinderella". I really wish Cinderella had better songs. I think the best Walt Disney songs are in Snow White and Bambi. Why couldn't Cinderella have been so lucky? Oh well. I really dislike all the deleted Cinderella songs, though. Thank God they picked better songs for the final film.

"A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes" however to this day is very iconic and an emblem of the Disney dream and magic. It has a very iconic and lovely sound to it.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney Duster wrote:Why did you make a separate listing for "The Cinderella Work Song"? I checked my CD and it's just "The Work Song".
Because they are different songs. The Work Song is the song that made into the movie whereas The Cinderella Work Song is a deleted one.
Disney Duster wrote:I really wish Cinderella had better songs. I think the best Walt Disney songs are in Snow White and Bambi. Why couldn't Cinderella have been so lucky?
I couldn't disagree with you more. I think Cinderella has one of the best selection of songs in a Walt-era film.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney Duster wrote:I really wish Cinderella had better songs. I think the best Walt Disney songs are in Snow White and Bambi. Why couldn't Cinderella have been so lucky? Oh well. I really dislike all the deleted Cinderella songs, though. Thank God they picked better songs for the final film.
I completely disagree with this as well. Cinderella has one of my favorite Walt Era soundtracks. I love the deleted songs as well, especially Dancing on a Cloud. I always wished that Disney would make a Broadway musical of their Cinderella featuring all the deleted songs to pad the story out.
ImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

JeanGreyForever wrote:I always wished that Disney would make a Broadway musical of their Cinderella featuring all the deleted songs to pad the story out.
That's a great idea! I always wondered why Disney never tried to adapt Cinderella for the stage. It seems like a no-brainer. Is it because of the popularity of Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella? I think a Disney version of Cinderella could be a big sucesss on Broadway.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Sotiris wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:I always wished that Disney would make a Broadway musical of their Cinderella featuring all the deleted songs to pad the story out.
That's a great idea! I always wondered why Disney never tried to adapt Cinderella for the stage. It seems like a no-brainer. Is it because of the popularity of Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella? I think a Disney version of Cinderella could be a big sucesss on Broadway.
This is my assumption especially since it just recently had a pretty successful revival. It's also possible that Disney feels their older films won't be as successful on Broadway. Case in point their adaptations for Pinocchio and The Jungle Book, as neither are set to go to Broadway if I'm correct.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh. I looked at my Legacy Collection CD and couldn't find The Cinderella Work Song. Youtube didn't have it on The Lost Chords either. I guess I have to check my CD again.

I guess I like all of Walt's Cinderella songs, I just don't think they're as good as the ones from Snow White and Bambi.

I thought Disney didn't make their Walt era films into Broadway shows because they don't have Broadway style songs. But if they did Pinocchio and The Jungle Book, I think someday we will see Cinderella. I hope so, I would love it. I would love to somehow be the set and costume designer.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

In the "Selections from Walt Disney's Cinderella" by RCA Victor Bluebird Records, the rendition of The Work Song performed by Ilene Woods featured additional lyrics that expanded the song.