Pixar movie to explore gay/lesbian/transgender themes?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Pixar movie to explore gay/lesbian/transgender themes?

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/news/a ... ixar-film/
Coco co-director Adrian Molina is "all for" an LGBTQ+ Pixar film

Molina's vocal support for an LGBTQ+-inclusive Pixar film come shortly after Coco producer Darla K. Anderson's told The Huffington Post that it would be "a dream."
Not sure if Pixar would dare taking the chance. While there are many that would support it, there are also many families out there who would refuse their children to see this potential movie. As always money talks, and if Disney is afraid it would impact the box office in a negative way they will probably say no. And if they think they can somehow benefit from it, they might take the chance. Future will tell. Personally I'm completely neutral and neither for or against it. Lots of people on social media on the other hand will probably express their strong opinions of some rumor starts to spread.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Pixar movie to explore gay/lesbian/transgender themes?

Post by Sotiris »

That's just meaningless lip service. Not gonna happen.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

When you look at how long it took just to get a main character that was female (Brave), how the first female director on same film was treated (Chapman), and the fact that Disney-PIXAR only just barely ousted Lasseter for regular sexual harassment in the workplace…. Yeah, I think it’s unlikely the story of a LGBT character will be told by Disney, much less PIXAR, when they don't even treat women properly.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I could see it happening. I think Pixar could actually do it with the kinds of films they've done. With Lasseter out now I can see it more. Plus Disney had a gay character in their biggest family live-action film to date (Beauty and the Beast).
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

has about as much chance of happening as Disney making Elsa a lesbian in Frozen 2. :milkbuds:
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Probably. In other words, just clickbait. The closest thing we have seen of the topic in Pixar movies, as far as I know, is Inside Out and the bear reference.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Not if they want the film to be released in China!

Although from what I understand, China traditionally isn't as hot on Pixar's films (Coco being a surprising exception), so maybe it won't be as much of a deterrent.
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

I don’t think the world is at the place where this could happen yet. We have LGBTQ+ films and we have non-LGBTQ+ films. Until there isn’t such segregation in films in general, such a film won’t work. Think of LGBTQ+ themes. Think of how Disney and/or Pixar films work. They try to make the films reach as large of an audience as possible. A coming out story, for example, would be too isolating for audiences. I don’t think that approach would work. I think once we get to the point where having LGBTQ+ characters in films are there as a matter of fact rather than as a novelty, comedic relief, or having everything about the character revolving around being LGBTQ+, then such a film would work. Hopefully this will be sooner rather than later.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

If straight characters and their romances appeal to the widest audience possible because gay people still accept seeing those stories, it should be that gay characters and their romances can reach the same audiences because all audiences should accept those stories. Unfortunately, that isn't the case. Gays will see straight movies but less straights see gay movies. For now. But who knows what the future could hold. I still say a gay movie from Pixar or Disney could happen sooner than later.
Rose Dome
Special Edition

Post by Rose Dome »

I'd be fine with it but I'am very doubtful. Alienating Parents who worry about "the queer agenda" would be costly.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

Funny, I always thought Pixar would be better at writing a gay love story than Disney, with their famous allegory in mind. They presented things like midlife crisis, divorce / single parent, and the bitterness of aging/dying in ways that people would've screamed at if Disney had done it. I guess it's not as offensive if fish/toys/cars star in it.

How about an interracial/gay love story with the Zootopia world? The allegories perfectly write themselves: segregation, inability to have children with biologically different species...A shame they pushed the "no love story" with Judy and Nick, cause in this world it'd make for an interesting love story, unlike say the other films where they'e pushing the female / male friendship. Maybe Zootopia 2 could feature a new pair of characters to make up the couple, and Judy and Nick are still single friends but helping them- you'd kill two birds with one stone. :D