Frozen II

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Frozen 2

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I think it’s inevitable that those who hate powerful women, or rather women in general, would accuse a film with strong female characters as being “propaganda.” Attacking Frozen is easy because everyone knows that film. I’m sure he would have similarly attacked TP&TF and Moana if those films had been as massive. I wonder, if he were to accuse children’s films of being “propaganda,” why he wouldn’t also attack The Lion King for being a love letter to patriarchies? Only examples of female power seem to be up for being attacked as political propaganda, for some reason.

As for your question, I’m really just basing that opinion on Lasseter’s hand being in every basket (and on every woman’s thigh apparently) at both Disney and PIXAR, and the blueprint formula that all the films he’s been a part of have followed, including Frozen.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Candy-Bonita95
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Candy-Bonita95 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I think it’s inevitable that those who hate powerful women, or rather women in general, would accuse a film with strong female characters as being “propaganda.” Attacking Frozen is easy because everyone knows that film. I’m sure he would have similarly attacked TP&TF and Moana if those films had been as massive.
Jordan Peterson actually loves Moana claiming it had the balance of character arcs that Frozen didn't have (The serious responsible Moana and the irresponsible, proud Maui.) I agree that Frozen is weaker regarding the character arc balance, but it only happened because the film's production was tight and messy. All sort of ideas were thrown to the board such as making Elsa a traditional villain, but it didn't work.

As for John Lasseter's conduct throughout his time as the animation department's head exec, I don't completely relate it to his creative power. Don't get me wrong. What he did to those women was wrong. I just think Lasseter himself is a very formulaic artist.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Elsa might be wearing pants in the sequel. I don't mind her wearing pants as long as they're well-designed (which wasn't the case in the Broadway adaptation).
Given that most of the movie’s creative team also lent their talents to the Broadway show, the director is hopeful that the costume will find its way into “Frozen 2,” currently slated for a 2019 release. “We, as the Broadway show, are sort of joyously anchored between the two films. The development of Elsa in a pantsuit is something that they’ll take on, I hope.”
Source: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/fr ... 60f39670e3
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I'm on the same page. I'm fine with pants, but didn't care for what they came up with for the Broadway show. I think the problem there was they were trying to make the outfit look too much like her snow/ice dress, except with the bottom half changed. They need to come up with a design completely from scratch.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Candy-Bonita95
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Candy-Bonita95 »

Here's a clip of Kristen Bell talking very little of Frozen 2 on Ellen

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X9aOad7Rss[/youtube]

...Yeah, the youtube embed function is not working for me
Hogi Bear
Special Edition
Location: New Zealand - Population: 60+ Million Sheep Origin: Unknown

Post by Hogi Bear »

Candy-Bonita95 wrote:Here's a clip of Kristen Bell talking very little of Frozen 2 on Ellen

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X9aOad7Rss[/youtube]

...Yeah, the youtube embed function is not working for me
You have to remove the s in https: I wonder if the script can be updated to allow both?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X9aOad7Rss[/youtube]
No signature needed - Kyoto Animation put out some beautiful animation
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

"Well, you know I can't say a lot 'cause Disney has people everywhere ..."

rotfl The way Kristen said that and the facial expression she made was so darn funny, lol!!
Candy-Bonita95
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Candy-Bonita95 »

rotfl The way Kristen said that and the facial expression she made was so darn funny, lol!!
Well...She's not wrong :lol: Remember what happened to Mark Hamill with The Last Jedi?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

We have learned Queen Iduna will play a pivotal role in the film. For those unfamiliar with who that character it is, it happens to be the mother of Anna and Elsa. Now we know what you are thinking. She died in the first film. Be that as it may Queen Iduna will have a decent size role in the film. Now it is not known if the character will appear via flashbacks or if it turns out the character indeed survived the event of the first film.

Frozen 2 will see the return of directors Jennifer Lee and Chris Buck, along with producer Peter Del Vecho. The films original voice cast Kristen Bell (Anna), Idina Menzel (Elsa), Josh Gad (Olaf), Jonathan Groff (Kristoff), Santino Fontana (Hans), and Alan Tudyk (Duke) are all set to return.
Source: https://disneyfilmfacts.com/2018/06/27/ ... -frozen-2/
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

So, she could have a story similar to Once Upon a Time. I don't see the need for this, but it will be very interesting to get to know a deceased Disney parent. Plus, I saw the Broadway show last night and I enjoyed the time we had with the parents
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Finally some actual information about the storyline (though this was vague news, but still)!

It's nice that mother will have a purpose, regardless of her being alive or not (mostly because of the evergoing criticism about Disney mother :P). Due to that the King was the one who had a biggest purpose in the predecessor, it's nice that the Queen will get her spotlight. But I dislike her name, Idunna, who sounds too pretentious for my taste.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Interesting news. I see two possibilities for this. Maybe the mother survived the shipwreck and they have to rescue her. If that's what happens, the fact that they didn't mention the king may mean he didn't survive. And they could've decided to do that because if he was rescued, he would be king again and they want Elsa to still be the queen. The other possibility is that they show Queen Iduna in the past because she had some secret, like some magic she passed to her daughter, for instance, that would explain Elsa's powers. It's also interesting that Hans is going to be back, if this report is true.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I'm assuming the Queen is hiding a secret or something in her backstory will be used to explain Elsa's powers and/or the new villain. I'm not very excited by this news considering how much it sounds like the Once Upon a Time plotline they already used, but if Hans is confirmed to be back, I'll be quite ecstatic.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

uh Sotiris, just how reliable is DisneyFilmFacts.com? b/c this is the first confirmation that Santino Fontana/Hans will be back and while that doesn't really mean anything as far as how big his role is at least its finally some news!

as for the mom being important, it doesn't surprise me that they would revolve a story around her considering how big this movie was with mothers and their young daughters. Disney knows who the audience for this film is and even more so after the Coco set back.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

unprincess wrote:uh Sotiris, just how reliable is DisneyFilmFacts.com?
Well, it depends on the project and the sources they have. Some things they get right, some things they get wrong. But I think they're right about this one.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:I'm assuming the Queen is hiding a secret or something in her backstory will be used to explain Elsa's powers and/or the new villain. I'm not very excited by this news considering how much it sounds like the Once Upon a Time plotline they already used, but if Hans is confirmed to be back, I'll be quite ecstatic.
I don't watch Once Upon a Time. Could you explain me a bit what happened with the queen there?
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

D82 wrote: The other possibility is that they show Queen Iduna in the past because she had some secret, like some magic she passed to her daughter, for instance, that would explain Elsa's powers. It's also interesting that Hans is going to be back, if this report is true.
Okay, I think I might have heard this, but only Once :P

What can I say, I'm a punny guy 8)
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

D82 wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:I'm assuming the Queen is hiding a secret or something in her backstory will be used to explain Elsa's powers and/or the new villain. I'm not very excited by this news considering how much it sounds like the Once Upon a Time plotline they already used, but if Hans is confirmed to be back, I'll be quite ecstatic.
I don't watch Once Upon a Time. Could you explain me a bit what happened with the queen there?
The Queen had two older sisters when she was younger. The oldest sister, named Ingrid, had ice powers like Elsa (no explanation as to where these powers come from are ever given). The three sisters were all very close and while Ingrid was forced to keep her powers secret, she still had an outlet with her two sisters. A younger Duke of Weselton discovers Ingrid's powers and when he threatens to expose her she tries to use her powers on him but hits the middle sister instead, killing her. Iduna (named Gerda in OUAT) witnesses this out of context and considers Ingrid a monster for killing their middle sister. She traps Ingrid in a magical urn that the trolls gave the sisters to use if Ingrid's powers ever went out of control. The trolls then wipe the memory of Ingrid and the dead sister from the minds of everyone.

When Elsa and Anna's parents are being shipwrecked, the mother (Iduna/Gerda) is desperately trying to write a note to her daughters explaining Ingrid's existence and her parallels with Elsa. OUAT's storyline takes place after Frozen with Ingrid being released from the urn. Playing the role of the original Snow Queen, she hates all human people now after being trapped and betrayed by her sister. Ingrid wants to recreate her trio of sisters but with only magical women, thus she loves Elsa but hates Anna and tries multiple times to kill her. Finally at the end, her true story comes out and Elsa and Anna both show her love and forgive her. Ingrid sacrifices herself to stop a spell that she put into existence (a curse based off of the mirror from the original fairy tale) but she dies happy knowing that she found love through her family after all.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

^I liked how she was shown happily reunited with her other 2 sisters in the afterlife. I mostly liked their take on Frozen, as convoluted as it was. BTW I read somewhere while that season was airing that the OUAT writers/directors (Im not sure which exactly) collaborated with the Frozen producers/writers to make sure they wouldn't do a story line that would interfere with any future plans they had for the franchise. One of them was that they couldn't kill off any of the characters, even Hans, and they werent allowed to give him a redemption story line either. So I don't think whatever they do for the sequel will be similar to what the did for OUAT Frozen.

Sotiris, I have been looking for info on this news online and it may have originated from middle eastern fandom? There's some discussion on tumblr as to whether the rumor is just that, a rumor. We'll just have to wait and see.

http://sarroora.tumblr.com/post/1753313 ... on-amongst

http://disney-rapunzel-merida-vanellope ... s-i-havent
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:The Queen had two older sisters when she was younger. The oldest sister, named Ingrid, had ice powers like Elsa (no explanation as to where these powers come from are ever given). The three sisters were all very close and while Ingrid was forced to keep her powers secret, she still had an outlet with her two sisters. A younger Duke of Weselton discovers Ingrid's powers and when he threatens to expose her she tries to use her powers on him but hits the middle sister instead, killing her. Iduna (named Gerda in OUAT) witnesses this out of context and considers Ingrid a monster for killing their middle sister. She traps Ingrid in a magical urn that the trolls gave the sisters to use if Ingrid's powers ever went out of control. The trolls then wipe the memory of Ingrid and the dead sister from the minds of everyone.

When Elsa and Anna's parents are being shipwrecked, the mother (Iduna/Gerda) is desperately trying to write a note to her daughters explaining Ingrid's existence and her parallels with Elsa. OUAT's storyline takes place after Frozen with Ingrid being released from the urn. Playing the role of the original Snow Queen, she hates all human people now after being trapped and betrayed by her sister. Ingrid wants to recreate her trio of sisters but with only magical women, thus she loves Elsa but hates Anna and tries multiple times to kill her. Finally at the end, her true story comes out and Elsa and Anna both show her love and forgive her. Ingrid sacrifices herself to stop a spell that she put into existence (a curse based off of the mirror from the original fairy tale) but she dies happy knowing that she found love through her family after all.
Many thanks for your detailed description, JeanGreyForever. Sounds like quite an interesting plotline for a TV series. Now that I know about it, I'm a bit surprised they are bringing back the Queen in the sequel too. But maybe they've come up with a very different plot for her or at least they will explain the origins of Elsa's powers this time.