Rock-a-Doodle on Blu-ray

Discussion of non-Disney DVD and Blu-ray.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Rock-a-Doodle on Blu-ray

Post by Sotiris »

Don Bluth's "Rock-a-Doodle" is finally coming to Blu-ray on October 31, 2017.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
blackcauldron85

Re: Rock-a-Doodle on Blu-ray (October 31, 2017)

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Do we know if it'll be a combo pack with a DVD (I know the 2 websites you linked to don't mention it...are the Bluth film Blu-rays usually combo packs?)? My copy of Rock-A-Doodle on DVD is a flip-disc, with Pebble & the Penguin on the other side...flip discs aren't my favorite, but the only Blu-ray player we have is the XBox, which isn't what I usually watch movies on.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Re: Rock-a-Doodle on Blu-ray (October 31, 2017)

Post by Jules »

blackcauldron85 wrote:Do we know if it'll be a combo pack with a DVD
Hello Amy! :) I have since purchased this set and I don't believe it is a combo pack. AV quality is average at best - I think bluray.com was a bit generous in its video rating. There were numerous times where I felt the print used for the transfer looked somewhat faded. Audio is serviceable.

Also I believe it is Region A-locked. Those outside the USA will need a region-free player to access the disc's contents.
blackcauldron85

Re: Rock-a-Doodle on Blu-ray

Hi Jules!! Thank you! I guess I will stick w/ my flip-disc DVD then...
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

If it's anything, Olive also released a DVD version. But if you're satisfied with what you have by all means then.

Also, I'm hearing goings on the Olive master is PAL sourced (in other words, shorter running time and higher pitch due to PAL speedup).
blackcauldron85

Mickeyfan1990 wrote:Also, I'm hearing goings on the Olive master is PAL sourced (in other words, shorter running time and higher pitch due to PAL speedup).
Is it *noticeable* when watching it? I can't buy anything right now, but it's definitely worth looking into- thank you!
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

Hi Jules! You sure it's region locked? Anything else Bluth is region free..I really want to import this title
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

REINIER wrote:Hi Jules! You sure it's region locked? Anything else Bluth is region free..I really want to import this title
I’m afraid it is REINIER. The region-free Bluth discs from the USA are the ones released by MGM (NIMH, All Dogs, etc.), 20th Century Fox (Thumbelina, Anastasia) or Universal (Land Before Time, American Tail, etc.).

Rock-A-Doodle has been released by Olive Films, which is a rather obscure DVD and Blu-ray label. It is region locked.

Why don’t you have a look at some inexpensive region-free blu-ray players online? I bought one from the UK last April and am having a blast watching titles I never could otherwise. I could finally purchase the GKids releases from the USA with confidence. Also, the new unit serves as an extra/backup player to my main blu-ray player in case that breaks down or needs servicing.

Region coding really sucks. :(
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

Thanks Jules! ;-) I own such a player...but really prefer region free, if available...Thanks though...I might double dip on this one...If only for "Treasure hunting"..
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool