Incredibles 2

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Re: The Incredibles 2

Post by Marce82 »

Oh, I agree. I love a good commentary. Plus, general making-ofs are great, but they are usually about the film overall, or maybe a sequence. A commentary usually makes the filmmaker comment on small details, or scenes that often seem unimportant to an overall look a the making of a film.

When I asked him about it, both he and the producer seemed pretty uncomfortable about it... like it had been a troubled production, and they would rather not discuss it.

To be honest, I think Brad Bird is a genius... but his commentaries aren't that great. It's usually a lot of "this scene was animated by X and THIS scene was animated by Y..."
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

No, it sucks. :glare: Regardless, I doubt it was fully up to him. Disney pulled the same stunt with The Avengers and its sequels.
Q: Stupid question ahoy, but: why 'Incredibles 2' and not 'THE Incredibles 2'?

Brad Bird: Why TERMINATOR 2 and not THE TERMINATOR 2? Just sounds better, I think.
Source: https://twitter.com/BradBirdA113/status ... 4930806784
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Sotiris wrote:No, it sucks. :glare: Regardless, I doubt it was fully up to him. Disney pulled the same stunt with The Avengers and its sequels.
Q: Stupid question ahoy, but: why 'Incredibles 2' and not 'THE Incredibles 2'?

Brad Bird: Why TERMINATOR 2 and not THE TERMINATOR 2? Just sounds better, I think.
Source: https://twitter.com/BradBirdA113/status ... 4930806784
I always wondered why movie titles sometimes lose this article? I'm not a native English speaker, so I would greatly appreciate if someone could explain it to me. Sotiris, you mentioned The Avengers, and I also remember these:
- The Addams Family / Addams Family Values
- The Evil Dead / Evil Dead II
- The Maze Runner / Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials
- The Muppets / Muppets Most Wanted

There are probably many more. Is there any particular grammatical reason for this?

I know it's an extra word, but it kind of rolls of the tongue better if a title has "the" preceding it.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

^Nope! There's no grammatical, syntactical or phonological reason as to why the definite article "the" is dropped sometimes from sequel titles. My guess is the IP holders do this for marketing reasons since people usually don't include it when talking about a movie, book, TV show etc. and so the property ends up being unofficially referred to without it by the masses. I'm constantly seeing people (including reputable publications) refer to "The Lion King" as just "Lion King" or "The Princess and the Frog" as simply "Princess and the Frog". Same goes with every title that begins with "the", really. Also, sequel titles usually add a subtitle which makes the title longer and thus the unnecessary "the" is more likely to get omitted.

Personally, the inconsistency bothers me. Creators should take all these considerations into account before settling on a name.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Oh I see. Thank you very much for the clarification. Stuff like that annoys me too. I like attention to detail and consistency in everything, visual media in particular, especially if it's a part of a series of works. Fonts, logos, titles, cast... It's just more visually pleasing and enjoyable, and shows that some thought and care has been put into it.

(I'm still bothered by things like Prisoner of Azkaban being the only Harry Potter film in the series that ends with a still frame, or that they used a cat completely different from the original one in the final Hunger Games movie, even though it's supposed to be the same cat from the first movie.)
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I can't help but think of that line in The Social Network, "Drop the 'the.' Just 'Facebook.' It's cleaner."

In terms of inconsistent franchise titles, I think the "Fast and the Furious" movies take the cake:

The Fast and the Furious
2 Fast 2 Furious
The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift
Fast & Furious
Fast Five
Fast & Furious 6
Furious 7
The Fate of the Furious

To be a fly on the wall in the meetings where they came up with those titles.

In regards to The Incredibles sequel dropping the "the", I don't feel strongly about it. Title still rolls off the tongue.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

estefan wrote:I can't help but think of that line in The Social Network, "Drop the 'the.' Just 'Facebook.' It's cleaner."
Ironic they didn't follow their own advice for the movie's title. :P
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

From an interview with Brad Bird:

http://www.vulture.com/2018/06/director ... seter.html
The movie is packed with little details, where something that goes by in a flash could really launch a whole conversation. For example, Elastigirl is dismayed when she’s given a revamped supersuit that tones down her colors. It’s almost this offhand comment about how dark and gritty some superhero movies have become.

Bird: The unhipness of optimism! You know, I always noticed that in art school, that grief was considered more profound than happiness. But why? Break it down into something like acting: Comedy is super hard to do well, and yet every year, it’s dismissed by the Oscars. A great comedy like The Big Lebowski will never win Best Picture, you know? If it happens, it’s a fluke, once in a billion years … but if you’re playing an alcoholic with a harelip and a limp and financial problems, have we got an award for you! I just reject that notion that grief is more profound than joy.

How did you feel about your creation, the Iron Giant, appearing in Steven Spielberg’s Ready Player One?

Bird: Well, Steven gave me my first opportunities to write and direct and even to act. He’s one of my favorite filmmakers and I’ve studied his work a lot, so to me, it was just an honor to have my character show up in one of his films.

When he came to you, did you have any input on how the Iron Giant would be used?

Bird: Oh, he didn’t come to me. Apparently, you don’t know Mr. Spielberg’s work: He doesn’t need to check with anybody! [Laughs.]
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

^The way Bird flippantly dismisses drama is infuriating. As if all it takes is a "sad story" to make a successful movie. While there's a discussion to be made about the position of comedy in the film industry, putting down drama is not the way to do it. It's clear to me his obsession with 'optimism' and 'positivity' is the product of leading a charmed, privileged life and being unable to relate to the struggles of people different than him.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Disney has uploaded the film's soundtrack to Youtube. It includes three short songs that were featured in those vintage toy ads they released some time ago:
- Here Comes Elastigirl - Elastigirl's Theme
- Chill or Be Chilled - Frozone's Theme
- Pow! Pow! Pow! - Mr. Incredible's Theme

Each song also has its version by DCappella, who performs a theme from the score as well:
- DCappella - Here Comes Elastigirl - Elastigirl's Theme
- DCappella - Chill or Be Chilled - Frozone's Theme
- DCappella - Pow! Pow! Pow! - Mr. Incredible's Theme
- DCappella - The Glory Days
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Got back and I loved it! The introduction was right; it was worth the wait!

I'm also relieved that Winston didn't turn out to be Screenslaver.
Last edited by Mickeyfan1990 on Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Watching it on Sunday with my fam. Really shocked by the response, so glad it's better than the trailers.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Absolutely loved this film! It was truly worth waiting 14 years and when the film ended, all I could think about was that the next movie better not take even half as long to be made. The entire family really does get equal screentime, unlike the first film which mostly focuses on Bob. Helen gets a huge focus and I expected that Bob would really lack in screentime as a result, but that wasn't the case at all. In fact, I'd almost argue that he still develops and grows more than any other character in the film. Jack-Jack (and Edna as well) truly steal every scene they're in! I could easily see them both getting their own spin-off film from audience reaction alone.

The visuals are a world of a difference from the first one. I was watching The Incredibles the other day and I couldn't imagine how the film could look better until seeing this one on the big screen. What I loved most was that just as this film picks off right when the last one ended, it doesn't feel as though these characters have been away at all. The magic is still all there and I loved it even more than the first one which I didn't think was possible. Maybe because I've seen the first film so many times that the novelty of this new one has taken over, but it's truly a worthy successor of the original.

Someone pointed out that this is Pixar's first female villain and that really shocked me that it's taken 20 films for them to do that. I guess it was just six years ago that Pixar got their first female protagonist and since then we've had Riley/Joy, Dory, and now Helen.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
rodis
Special Edition

Post by rodis »

Saw it last night. Wow!!!! What a triumph! I enjoyed it so much. Right now it outrank the original for me.
Especially enjoyed the dynamics within the family that was given even more weight this time. And the animation is absolutely gorgeous.
Btw isnt this the first time a pixar film features a stylized disney castle intro?
taei
Special Edition

Post by taei »

Just saw the movie today.... right after I rewatched the first one, which might have been a mistake.

I wasn't a huge fan of this movie. It felt unfocused to me. Our attention was shifted far too many times away from the main plot. The villain was nonexistent, and barely left an impact on me. The family dynamic is the best thing, however, we rarely see a sequel pick up exactly where the first one movie ended, so I expected a lot of the characters to have grown (intellectually)... But I had to constantly remind myself that this takes place 2 months after the first movie.

The animation is Pixar. They improve every time they release a movie, so I honestly think this is the norm for them now.

Also, there are far too many characters in this movie, which ends up taking a lot of time away from the main characters. There was just too much going on to contain in one movie. But I guess the biggest problem here is that I just don't see a point in this existing. It tries to deliver the same message as the first movie...

Also:
I don't understand why supers are blamed for Evelyn's parents deaths... They were the ones who decided to rely on supers instead of saving their own lives. They had the means to stay alive, but choose to not rely on themselves. I mean, I guess she does briefly talk about it, but it didn't leave a huge impact. I would have liked it if the main point of this movie was the struggle with this idea. That people are now too heavily relied on supers to save them, that they've forgotten their survival and protective instincts... but then again, if robbers came to my house and I had a safe room, I would just go there.... And then call the police after..

However, the star of this movie is Jack Jack. The future of this franchise is with Jack Jack. I seriously hope that raccoon goes through some kind of mutation and becomes his arch nemeses... Also more Edna Mode please. She had way more to do in the first one, her screen time here is criminal and unreleased to the A story!
"In every age, Family is king,
and the bravest journeys, are never taken alone."
-Brave.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

In some aspects I think this one was better than the first and in others I think the first one was better.

What the film did better was focusing on the entire family and it had a better characters development, especially with Bob, Helen and Violet. The humor was better as well.
However, I felt a dissonance between plot A's (Helen's) themes and plot B's (Bob's) themes. I thought the plot and the villains were better in the first film, and the dramatic moments worked better in the first film (like how the villain's plan is revealed).
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Sotiris wrote:^The way Bird flippantly dismisses drama is infuriating. As if all it takes is a "sad story" to make a successful movie. While there's a discussion to be made about the position of comedy in the film industrry, putting down drama is not the way to do it. It's clear to me his obsession with 'optimism' and 'positivity' is a product of leading a charmed, privileged life and being unable to relate to the struggles of people different than him.
I'm not sure if he is talking about his own personal preferences, or is making a comment about the preferences of the so-called cultural elite.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Re: Incredibles 2

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Yeah, I loved this. Barely more than the first one. It is just super super funny. The family is just as developed, but even memorable. Jack Jack is the star of the movie and like everyone says, he steals every scene he's in. I saw the raccoon scene at the expo and it's even funnier than I remembered. The action scenes are improved and more animated, but the flashing lights were a bit much for me.

My only criticisms are Frozone and Edna's screen time. Frozone was in and out during his scenes and Edna literally only had two scenes. Which is too bad because the expo really built her up, but she still made an impact on the movie. Her and Jack Jack were amazing together. My audience died every time. WHEN there's a third movie, I hope they especially give her more stuff to do.

And also...

The villain was WAY WAY too obvious. I think we all knew right away it was going to be the sister as soon as she was announced. I'm happy that it was just the sister and not the brother. I wish they had something unexpected as the villain, but whatever.
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Re: Incredibles 2

Post by rodrigo_ca »

It appears that some countries (such as Portugal) are keeping it "The Incredibles 2".

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixNjgphswhc[/youtube]

I wonder why Disney would bother with such a minor change for overseas. Maybe it's a whole Europe thing like Vaiana?

Wish I could say anything about the movie, but I still have to wait two weeks because Disney Brazil sucks. Oh well.